[No longer idle idea] Piracy on the Seven Skies! [PT/PbP] [Recruiting!]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[No longer idle idea] Piracy on the Seven Skies! [PT/PbP] [Recruiting!]

Post  Espresso on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:37 am

It's a dark and dingy place. You mildly regret showing up, but the reward is awfully tempting for someone down on their luck such as yourself. You look down at the bounty: 2000 bits for the capture of the Hail Mary, a merchant ship heading towards the Ponyville aerodrome. It's a big reward, for a relatively small task, and as much as you'd hate to admit it, you are pretty desperate.

You look around the bar, noting the other suspicious figures that are sitting around. Doubtlessly, some of them are going to be aiming for the reward as well. You sigh, and stare at the walls, looking over the illustrations of the 'good old days', when airships didn't fill the skies, and when cities were reasonably sized. When machines weren't the be-all and end-all of things. The Seven Skies weren't even a thing back then, there was just one sky. It was a simpler era, when things hadn't yet gone to shit.

Oh, how times have changed.

Officially launching the recruitment for Sky Pirates: Piracy on the Seven Skies!

You are Sky Pirates who are down on their luck and have been lured to the famed Port Royal aerodrome - the biggest pirate aerodrome in Equestria - after catching wind of a profitably bounty to be claimed, simply by the capture of a small merchant ship called the Hail Mary.

The game will be run in Pony Tales, and players start at level 4. There's no limitation on morality, but if possible I'd rather you tend towards asshole with a heart of gold, or at least anti-hero level of goodness. The tone can go quite dark, but on the whole I'm playing fast and loose and tending closer to Pirates of the Caribbean - people can and will die, but the heroes of the story are jaunty and lighthearted most of the time. Looking at 3-5 players.

Instead of a level 3 boon you get 3 extra ability points, by popular vote of the players.

Player/Character list:
AleneShazam/Hair Trigger Fire
Jaguargamma/Frisky Risk
Senshuken/Apollo

Setting Info:
Piracy on the Seven Skies is set in an alternate Equestria, where the discovery of crystals capable of storing magic have jump-started an industrial revolution all across the world. For example, earth pony magic can be stored to power massive farming machines that can sustain far higher populations. Unicorn magic is used to create delicate spell-powered systems that can be used for mass manufacturing. And of course, weather magic is harnessed to power flying machines that now dominate the skies.

The timelines diverge shortly after the defeat of Discord and fall of Nightmare Moon, with Celestia being the sole monarch. As time goes past, the villains of the past fade into obscurity as with the canon, and the world keeps turning as society develops. Now Equestria is a land dominated by massive industrial cities, each centered around a soaring Aerodrome that reaches high into the sky. Smaller cities do exist, but unless they have an Aerodrome, they are considered backwaters and unimportant. There are also floating cities - pegasi cities retrofitted to become giant industrial complexes that other races can board. The various races of Equus have each adopted their own brand of aeronautical travel, resulting in a great deal more globalization than what is seen in canon.

Under Celestia - now immortalized by the title the Celestial Princess - Equestria has seen stability and steady growth over the centuries, developing into a strong economy with active shipping routes between cities as well as with other nations. Preying on these shipping lanes are the Seven Skies pirates, a coalition of raiders, mercenaries, criminals and other unscrupulous types that make a living by robbing ships and performing other mildly illegal tasks.

There have been no major wars between Equestria and other nations, but there were a few pirate wars where the Crown Government has attempted to purge piracy from the land, to very limited success.

Races:
Ponies: The dominant race in Equestria, present in all social levels.
Griffons: A large minority who fill a similar niche to pegasi, working flight related jobs. Slightly looked down on, but there are still a large number of griffons in higher levels of society.
Minotaurs: A small but notable minority. Many are mercenaries or work in the military due to their natural physical prowess. Minotaur rune-smithing, a technique involving engraving the aforementioned magical crystals with runes to imbue them with magic, is a well respected craft. However they are also discriminated against due to the somewhat backwards and barbaric connotations of minotaur culture, which is very meritocratic and militarily inclined.
Zebras: Fairly exotic. They rarely leave their Savannah homeland, but those who do tend to be educated and wealthy - or very desperate.
Dragons: Traditionally dragons have been feared by most other nations due to their size and inherent danger. Even with the rise of technology, large dragons tend to have little to fear, and as long as ships avoid their territory relations have been amiable. Young drakes, meanwhile, are seen increasingly often, working in all manner of fields.
Changelings: Not widely known, only the highly educated and high-class are aware of their existence. Even then they are wary and cautious towards this race. Many changelngs live in hiding among ponykind.
Batponies: Living in seclusion since Luna's fall, they have developed their own culture independent of the rest of Equestria. They've started to integrate back into society a while back, and most of the batponies of this generation might as well be the same as the other ponies of Equestria, but myths and slander regarding their appearance and background is prevalent.

The Seven Skies:
The Seven Skies are a loosely affiliated group of criminals, raiders, thieves, mercenaries, assassins, bandits etc united under the Seven Skies banner. The organization is named after its leaders, the Seven Skies, each 'Sky' being a well accomplished pirate by their own right. Many pirates claim affiliations to one Sky or another, but there are many pirates who are neutral as well. The process of joining a Sky organization differs between Skies, and each Sky organization has its own social order and rules.
Sunny Skies / The Sun Sky:
Sunny Skies is the pegasus leader of the Sun Sky, which is dedicated to robbing the rich and helping the poor. They support their charitable endeavors by relentlessly robbing royal and nobles. Sunny Skies himself is said to detest corruption, and personally takes great pleasure in torturing and terrorizing the rich and powerful. He's a pretty chill guy otherwise. The Sun Sky is a new Sky with no previous leader.
Bloodhoof / The Blood Sky:
Bloodhoof is a minotaur warlord in command a hundred ships. His Sky respects strength above all else, and accepts members through a harsh trial by fire. Those who are accepted are respected by all the other Skies as true warriors. Their policy is to rob honorably, and go on 'blood hunts' targeting heavily armed warships. Surviving a blood hunt is a great honor worthy of bragging. The Bloodhoof name is passed along the most ferocious and mighty warrior in each generation of Blood Sky warriors. The previous Bloodhoof was a pegasus.
Mistral Step / The Hidden Sky:
Mistral Step is a mysterious character. Few have seen their face, but it is well known that they are an expert at espionage and infiltration. The Hidden Sky are less pirates and more spies, and their members are hired out to serve as spies, thieves, infiltrators, etc. They are also often information brokers, and bridge the gap between different Skies. Mistral Step, one way or another, has been known to be the leader of the Hidden Sky. Whether this is a mantle, like Bloodhoof, or if they are that old, like Prince, is unknown.
Warped Gears / The Brass Sky:
Warped Gears is a unicorn obsessed with technology, and those who follow her in the Brass Sky are likewise all Airship junkies who are dedicated to modifying their airships to the maximum, far beyond the strict regulations of legally owned airships. These mad engineers attack ships for two reasons - to obtain parts, and to test out the epic new electric harpoon shotgun they installed on the prow of their ship. The Brass Sky is an old Sky, with the person with the most kickass ship and/or equipment being the next leader when the previous Sky leader kicks the bucket.
Prince / The Gold Sky:
Prince is a massive dragon in command of the Gold Sky. Those who seek fortune and nothing else are encouraged to join the Gold Sky, which has a very sophisticated system for delegating bounties and job requests to all members. The system ensures that everyone gets paid... especially Prince. And in Equestria, money has a lot of power... As a dragon, Prince has lived for a very long time, and alongside the Blood Sky and the Hidden Sky, are one of the oldest Skies to have existed.
Reaver / The Black Sky:
Reaver is a sadistic griffon who commands the Black Sky. They are the image of evil pirates, who slaughter for fun and pillage without care, killing all who stand in their path. Even the other Skies look down on Reaver and his Sky, who are seen as scum... though it cannot be argued that his methods are very effective. The Black Sky has existed in one form or another for a long time, but Reaver's reign is the first time it has been treated as a serious threat, due to his leadership turning the savage pirates into a regimented army.
Xanri / The Nomad Sky:
Those with nowhere to go can follow Xanri and join the Nomad Sky. The Nomad Sky is almost a refuge for the exiled and the spurned. In the Nomad Sky, all are equal and family... but consequently, all who are outside of the Nomad Sky are enemies. Another of the 'good' Skies, Xanri is a pacifistic zebra who inspires great loyalty in her men. The Nomad Sky is a new sky, paving way to a more peaceful coexistence between the law and the Seven Skies.
Legacy Skies
Skies come and go as the political balance in the world shifts. Here are a few legacy skies that have since either merged into other skies, or have been decimated for some reason.
Gunrunner / The Smuggler's Sky:
The Smuggler's sky, as the name implied, used to be a fairly influential Sky due to their main trade of smuggling. Eventually they peacefully merged into The Hidden and Gold Skies.
Hellfire / The Brimstone Sky:
The closest past iteration of the Black Sky, who used to be competitiors with the Blood Sky for warrior's spoils. Reaver killed Hellfire, the unicorn pyromancer of this arsonist's Sky, and established a new Sky in its place.

Last edited by Espresso on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:46 am; edited 5 times in total
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [No longer idle idea] Piracy on the Seven Skies! [PT/PbP] [Recruiting!]

Post  AleneShazam on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:27 am

Steampunk pirate ponies. On airships.

Sign me right up, hey.
Current ideas:
Gun obsessed mechanic with a liking for guns, bigger guns, and even bigger guns. And the occasional bomb. (Mechanics main)
Easygoing nomad just in it for some pocket change (Persuasion main???)
Khorne cultist (Athletics main)

Last edited by AleneShazam on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Sigh me up to. I'll make a character tomorrow.
Senshuken
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaguargamma on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm on board with this.
jaguargamma
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm interested and have an idea for my character. Quick question though, are bat ponies allowed? It won't break my idea if they aren't (nor will it guarantee it will be one if they are), but they are one of the races I'm considering...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:I'm interested and have an idea for my character. Quick question though, are bat ponies allowed? It won't break my idea if they aren't (nor will it guarantee it will be one if they are), but they are one of the races I'm considering...

Batponies are allowed. Since it's pre-Luna they're pretty badly discriminated against and most are still living in seclusion, leading to a lot of myths about them in the general populace.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:36 am

Griffin's alright?
Senshuken
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:45 am

Senshuken wrote:Griffin's alright?
Yeah griffins are alright. Here's the summary about them in the intro post:
Griffons: A large minority who fill a similar niche to pegasi, working flight related jobs. Slightly looked down on, but there are still a large number of griffons in higher levels of society.

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:10 pm

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_z4dcYdJlt5Vft8TNtFh3gqAAromF2bZWXx9kZuoGm4/edit?usp=sharing

Hair Trigger Fire! Quite possibly the dumbest character I've built yet, especially for combat, where her strategy literally is to blow herself up!
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaguargamma on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:18 pm

For my character, I give you Frisky Risk, pirate mage!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Guj3j228HLKaidVBukg78Ol1WVUa7O3lFV138l-sPmE/edit?usp=sharing
jaguargamma
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:25 am

And here is Apollo the griffin on a mission.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qHfXS4d1tIaoWxVb7Vm1jBluuEz9SIEtvgdFaRHQkU0/edit?usp=sharing
Senshuken
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:39 am

Oh, everyone else is done already? I'm still working on my character, but I know his backstory and personality and I've got him almost mechanically done. Here's his mechanical information in the meantime (in a very barebones and subject to change list)...

Spoiler:
CM in Heal
Training in Heal, History, Persuasion, Streetwise, Acrobatics

Airborne (1)
Nightwatch (2)
FK (3)
Flight Tree (9)

Read A Lot*3 (6)
Hex (6)
Water Affinity (1)
Medicinal Training (2)

Flash Teleport (3)

(Currently deciding between Read Thoughts, Stealth Mode, or replacing Flash Tele with Phase Step)

Element Undecided (Tenacity? Laughter?)

Miracle Worker Destiny

Assassin’s Gambit

Critfisher (+3)
Healing Salve (+2)
Gather Energy (+1)
Barter in Blood (-1)
My Life Is Yours (-1)
Whirling Blades (-1)
Miracle (-3)
Crescendo (-4)

Gold is Power * 2

Spellbook
Ring of Resilience
Cloak of the Reborn Phoenix

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:38 am

Quick Narrative Question: How long have the different skies existed for, as a rough estimate. I figure that, with maybe the exception of Prince, the current leaders weren't always the leaders and the different skies have existed before they became the leaders of them, or maybe I'm wrong and different skies have come and gone, but I just wanna make sure...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:48 am

Paper Shadow wrote:Quick Narrative Question: How long have the different skies existed for, as a rough estimate. I figure that, with maybe the exception of Prince, the current leaders weren't always the leaders and the different skies have existed before they became the leaders of them, or maybe I'm wrong and different skies have come and gone, but I just wanna make sure...
There are examples of both to be found in the Skies. I've elaborated on the history and extent of each Sky in the spoiler post, as well as included some legacy skies that once existed but have since been replaced with new skies.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:02 am

Now that I am done being the worst person in the universe, Memento Mori's Character Sheet is done. I should port over the mechanical details of each ability at some point, but I usually don't...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:46 am

I completely forgot that I had a character written for this game
It's already been approved by Espresso, so here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WsTkPZOzKmLAQdwO9jJXdT0ynX8awn6RfJZW3p42dBI/edit?usp=sharing
Vulcan, the a drake out for vengeance.

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top