Piracy on the Seven Skies (Sky Pirates IC Thread)

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: Piracy on the Seven Skies (Sky Pirates IC Thread)

Post  Senshuken on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 am

For once, Apollo felt the need to clear his throat in order to speak up. "With all due respect... While no one would love to see Reaver look like an idiot then I would, why go through all the effort when... well, you seem to already have the Elements yourself? I'm having trouble seeing how you benefit from all this."
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:45 am

"I have an Element." Prince corrects. "Just this one. This was a ploy to buy time for us to find the remainder of the Elements before Reaver can, as well as to bait out Reaver's true intentions."

He rests his jaw on a claw lazily.

"You see, we were not certain if Reaver was after the Elements; we had our suspicions, of course, but he never made any overt moves... until now. Now that we know he is after the Elements, the trick will have bought us some time. Trying to make the false elements work will undoubtedly set him back at least a week, probably more. We can take the chance to secure as many of the others as we can."

since this is an ongoing conversation, here's what I'll do
I'm going to respond to questions fairly frequently, but if I feel like it's important enough then I'll hold off on answering until people have the chance to catch up.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:09 am

"I... see," Vulcan nods. Then he notices something odd about that statement. "Wait... 'we'? Who else do you speak of? I have to assume that at least someone ranked in the Hidden Sky is involved, since the pony who contacted us was Hidden Sky..."

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:16 am

"Ask him if we're still gettin' paid," Mori whispers to Vulcan from behind, doing his best to keep low and avoid the burning wings...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 am

Vulcan clears his throat, "And... I'd also like to ask about the pay for our job, in that case. If it was a decoy, then we served our purpose, did we not?"

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldstone14 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 am

"You'd be correct in assuming that the Hidden Sky is invested... especially since I was sent to retrieve you and told that the artifacts were fakes. But I would like to question Mistral Step on that...

With a sigh, Horizon looks to Prince.

"So, what, were gonna go collect the elements? I assume thats what you want, but I din't see the point. Aren't the elements only useful to ponies?"
Goldstone14
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaguargamma on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:38 pm

"I only saw mention of ponies ever using them when I looked them up," Frisky chimes in, using an Audiomancy spell so she can be heard over her personal rainstorm. "Didn't see anything saying they wouldn't work for non-ponies, though. In fact, I didn't see much at all about them except for snippets of rumors. My question is why finding these elements is so critical, if nopony seemed to have cared about them until now?"

jaguargamma
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:43 pm

"Well, if you'd like to volunteer to go look for them that wouldn't hurt," Prince says, in response to Horizon. To Frisky, he says, "Nopony seemed to have cared about them because they were deliberately obscured by the Celestial Princess."

Prince grimaces, and he sits up a little. "I'm very, very old, but the Princess is even older. The things I've seen as a wyrmling... the Elements aren't just an artifact, they're a goddamn arsenal, with the power to defeat gods. I'm perfectly happy to allow the legend to fade into obscurity and be forgotten by the world."

"Unfortunately, Reaver learnt about them. I don't know how, or what he plans to do with them, but we can all agree that the Elements cannot be allowed to fall into his claws."

He then smirks at Vulcan. "Ah, but you're speaking my language, young drake. Technically the bounty was for the intact cargo of the ship, and you in fact didn't get that, but..." He taps his chin thoughtfully, and pushes a small mount of coins forward from his hoard. "Think of this as a consolation prize. There's five hundred bits for each of you, even you, little infiltrator," he looks over to Horizons. "Mistral Step did ask me to pay you for your work."
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 pm

"...Your generosity humbles me." Vulcan says, stepping forward to inspect the hoard and dividing it up into roughly equal portions for everyone. While he does so, he lifts his head so he can look at Prince. "If I may ask, if you successfully collect the Elements, Sky Prince, what would you use them for? If this is truly a weapon of such power..."

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaguargamma on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Frisky frowns under her soggy hat upon hearing about the Celestial Princess' covering up the Elements.

She worked with relics in Canterlot's archives extensively for years, and handled (or, more appropriately, mishandled) objects of incredible power. Frisky herself has been been catapulted through time, exposed to hell dimensions, and violated by Elder Gods. The list of times she's been cursed with or transformed into something unnatural is at least a mile long, and her misadventures with magical artifacts alone caused eight of the ten volumes of the Canterlot Inquisition Safety Guide.

Yet these Elements of Harmony were the artifacts the Celestial Princess went out of her way to keep covered up, even from her own mages?

What would she be trying to hide?

Frisky decides to keep her questions to herself for now.
jaguargamma
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:46 pm

"The reason is simple," Prince says. He fishes what looks to be a golden globe out of his hoard, and admires it for a moment. Then, without warning, his claws close around the orb, crushing it into a flattened golden pulp.

"I want to destroy the elements, so that none may again wield its power."

Flakes of gold fall to the ground from between its claws.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldstone14 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Horizon looks at Prince, scowling for a moment before sighing. Despite her best efforts, he seemed to be fully telling the truth. He wanted to destroy the artifacts... That was a terrible idea... The idea made her wrack her mind to see if she knew anything about why, but despite her attempts, she couldn't summon any memory of a story about anything.

"Why destroy them? If their such great weapons, that is? Can you even destroy them if their so powerful?"

Rolls:
Perception (Using Lie Detector/Pinkies Interrogation: 17+21: 38
History: 12+8: 20
Goldstone14
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 am

While it was only a quarter of what they had been promised for the 'job' (even if it was clear that the job had been a decoy from the beginning), Apollo was somewhat thankful to get anything out of the deal, accepting the payment without question. Some payment was better then no payment and if the Prince wanted to be generous to them than he wasn't going to question it.

As the conversation swung back to the elements and why the dragon was interested in them (namely, because Reaver was interested in them for unknown reasons), Apollo himself paid attention. While he was inclined to take on any job that screwed over Reaver's ambitions, he felt the need to ask two very important questions. "First off... how much would you pay us in order to locate the other elements for you? Secondly... since it sounds like these artifacts come in a set, wouldn't breaking the one you already have be enough to make them all null and void?"
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaguargamma on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 am

"You can't," Frisky blurts. Then she catches herself. "The, uh...the more powerful the artifact, the more likely it is to actively resist being destroyed or tampered with. A relic as powerful as the Elements would take a tremendous amount of power to break. And even if you did manage it, you'd only be destroying the physical components; the Elements also have spirit components that can't be destroyed. It'd take a while--barring special circumstances, of course--but they'd just find new vessels to come back in."
jaguargamma
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:29 am

"Don't be ridiculous. Obviously I'm sending a group that I can actually trust to seek out the Elements," Prince scoffs, waving Apollo off. "And, it wouldn't work, because they can only be destroyed when they're together."

He then glances at Frisky. "You're right, of course. Something as powerful as Elements couldn't be permanently destroyed. But I can live for very long. And as long as I'm alive, I'll keep seeking them out, and destroy them as many times as I have to. I've seen what those things can do. That's not a power that anyone should wield."
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 am

"Well that sounds," Trigger bobs her head. "Intense. And above my pay grade. I'm just going to collect my pay and uh... get outta your scales."

She sweeps up her portion of the loot and stuffs it into her chest compartment, bowing as she backs out towards the door.
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:06 am

"Naturally," Vulcan says, in response to Prince's trust comment. "But is there anything else that we can do for you? Our group is evidently capable of completing nearly suicidal tasks, if nothing else."

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaguargamma on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 am

The instant the dragon says the words "And as long as I'm alive", alarm bells start going off in Frisky's head. About 90% of the abuse she's taken from magic artifacts in her lifetime came within seconds of her saying phrases like that.

Her horn lights, and five sacks scoop the sorted piles of coinage into themselves, tie themselves off, and present themselves to the members of the crew who are not Trigger. As soon as she has her sack, Frisky starts backing toward the door with Trigger.

"Okay, well...looks you've got it all planned out, then. We'll just, uh...leave you to it, then. Off to find our next job! Here's to hoping we get on a really fast ship. Those are always fun to sail. Right, guys?"

Actions:
History Check
How is El Dorado defended?
Roll: 20+9+1=30

Last edited by jaguargamma on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:08 am; edited 2 times in total
jaguargamma
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:24 am

Well, since their services were no longer required and several members of the party seemed to know something that he didn't, Apollo rose his eyebrow in confusion but like some of his fellows he started to pack up his share of the wealth and prepared to leave the presence of the leader of one of the skies.
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Espresso on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:38 pm

"I like the initiative, young drake, but our organization is more than capable of handling things from here. If you need freelance employment, I recommend you go and speak to one of our contracting managers. Ship Captain Hephaestus should be able to take you to one of them."

Then Prince hesitates. "Actually, Hephaestus, if they're interested in a job, take them to Anastacia. Her department has received a sensitive task that requires quite... particular talents."

From what Frisky can tell, El Dorado has all the defenses of your standard cloud city - heavy anti-air artillery mounted all along the outer rim of the city, and additional gun turrets placed strategically throughout the city. You also assume there has to be a fleet light skiffs or some sort of craft that can be launched to engage the enemy in the air. Some of the key buildings, such as the central ziggurat, look like they can retract into the ground for defence as well. Bur for a city of El Dorado's scale, it feels like there should be something more, a secret weapon of some kind that ramps the fortifications up to eleven - it's hard to imagine such a large city staying defended with guns and ships alone.

If there's nothing else, Prince waves his claw, and dismisses the group, and the door behind them slowly grinds open again, allowing them exit from the golden hoard.
Espresso
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaguargamma on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Frisky wastes no time getting outside, subconsciously making sure her pirate outfit doesn't float into the rainstorm following her.

Once outside, she takes a moment to collect herself.

"Okay," she sighs. "Whatever we need to do, I'm good for doing it quickly and leaving to go do something else."

She casts a glare up at the stormcloud over her head as she speaks. How much more water is in that cloud?!
jaguargamma
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:23 pm

"I need to go buy some spare parts. I'm running low on legs," Trigger says. "I have the exact specs, though, so it shouldn't take long."
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:22 pm

"Honestly... we should look into securing ourselves a ship to travel on." Apollo spoke up, deciding to throw his two bits in.
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:57 am

"And I need to refill my tank," Vulcan speaks up. He takes a look around at the pirates gathered around him. "So, we're may not be a proper crew, or anything, but are we agreed that for now it's better to travel together? Safety in numbers and all."

He pauses, and adds: "And am I correct to assume that none of us are eager to take another Gold Sky contract after what just happened?"

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:00 am

"I don't mind sticking together for now," Trigger shrugs nonchalantly. "But I don't really mind taking a contract from anywhere as long as it gives me more research funds. 500 bits is nice, but it's not going to pay off my mortgage anytime soon."
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum