Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EARTH PONY TALENTS!!!!!

+7
Philadelphus
Videocrazy
LoganAura
Stairc -Dan Felder
The Warrior of Many Faces
AlicornPriest
Masterweaver
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

EARTH PONY TALENTS!!!!! Empty EARTH PONY TALENTS!!!!!

Post  Masterweaver Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:39 pm

-Extensive Clan (Magic)
You can call upon 1d8 NPCs to help you out in a given situation.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

EARTH PONY TALENTS!!!!! Empty Re: EARTH PONY TALENTS!!!!!

Post  AlicornPriest Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Hey, an Applejack-styled one!
Maybe you could also do
Kicks McGee-
Kick an object with strong back legs. Stronger objects begin to wobble and shake, knocking anything (or anypony) off of them. Weaker objects are destroyed.
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:28 am

Stand Firm - Daily
Preparation Time - 5 Minutes
Outside of combat, you dig your feet into the ground and become immovable. While using this, you cannot be moved or harmed in any way by anything short of the power of an alicorn or Discord. Pony can only stand firm for a period of time given at the start of standing. Ponyhandler offers an Endurance DC for that time frame, and if passed, pony is immovable by anything other than distractions. This requires your full concentration; you cannot do anything else while Standing Firm. That being the case, anything distracting nearby, such as someone shouting in your ear, requires a Perception check (DC based on nature of distraction); failure to pass the check ends Stand Firm. You can stop Standing Firm at will with no penalties.

Last edited by The Warrior of Many Faces on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:54 am; edited 4 times in total
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:38 pm

There are all really interesting. What do you folks think of them? The more you comment on one anothers' designs, the more likely it is they'll get added. Cool
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:The more you comment on one anothers' designs, the more likely it is they'll get added. Cool
You troll.

Kicks McGee sounds like a good trait name, but its description is really vague. Maybe give it a clearer effect? I like Stand Firm though.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Masterweaver wrote:
Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:The more you comment on one anothers' designs, the more likely it is they'll get added. Cool
You troll.

Kicks McGee sounds like a good trait name, but its description is really vague. Maybe give it a clearer effect? I like Stand Firm though.

Hmm... I really don't know what I wanted to do with it. It's kind of situational perhaps, sort of an "attack things outside of combat" sort of deal. No actual damage or anything, but being able to kick stuff hard enough to break it seems useful.
Here's how you could use it: kicking a book off from the top of a high bookshelf, breaking or weakening a support column, damaging a power crystal, etc.
Since I haven't played a game yet, I don't know if this is something all ponies can already do. I thought enumerating such a skill might be useful.
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:50 pm

No no no, what I mean is something like +5 to stunts or something... though that could be a bit OP for an Earth Pony talent. Hmmm.

I dunno, just saying "He kicks hard" seems more aesthetic then mechanical.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Masterweaver wrote:
You troll.

Blasphemy! But seriously, I want to know what people besides me think of talents. Wink

Masterweaver wrote:Kicks McGee sounds like a good trait name, but its description is really vague. Maybe give it a clearer effect? I like Stand Firm though.

Stand Firm is very cool. I feel it needs to be a bit more specific though (saying precisely how long it lasts and what kind of endurance checks a pony would suffer), but I can polish it if need be. And I'm not yet sure it's broken in any way. Probably not, considering the unicorn's Immovable talent.

AlicornPriest wrote:Hmm... I really don't know what I wanted to do with it. It's kind of situational perhaps, sort of an "attack things outside of combat" sort of deal. No actual damage or anything, but being able to kick stuff hard enough to break it seems useful.
Here's how you could use it: kicking a book off from the top of a high bookshelf, breaking or weakening a support column, damaging a power crystal, etc.
Since I haven't played a game yet, I don't know if this is something all ponies can already do. I thought enumerating such a skill might be useful.

Yep, definitely useful. Athletics checks can already do this of course, so perhaps it should give a substantial bonus to bucking things out of combat. Perhaps call it, "Years of Apple-Bucking"?

Years of Apple-Bucking
You gain a +7 bonus to Stunts checks made to kick something with your hind legs outside of combat (such as smashing a boulder out of your way or kicking a tower to try and knock something off it).

EDIT - Lol, looks like Masterweaver and I had the same idea.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Masterweaver wrote:No no no, what I mean is something like +5 to stunts or something... though that could be a bit OP for an Earth Pony talent. Hmmm.

I dunno, just saying "He kicks hard" seems more aesthetic then mechanical.

Gah. I don't get this "inventing traits" stuff. Make it +10 to Mechanics! Kickin' stuff until it works! tongue
What else did she use it for? Bracing herself? Jumping around? Running to catch up to stuff? And what was her other back leg called?

I just wanted to make an Applejack ability... Sad
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:09 pm

AlicornPriest wrote:
Gah. I don't get this "inventing traits" stuff. Make it +10 to Mechanics! Kickin' stuff until it works! tongue
What else did she use it for? Bracing herself? Jumping around? Running to catch up to stuff? And what was her other back leg called?

Non-Racial Traits aren't made yet. Nopony knows how they work, just that they'll be added later. I'm still figuring them out myself. =)

And I wouldn't worry. Look up at my last comment. I'd almost be willing to include that version of the talent as-is. Just like to get some feedback first.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
AlicornPriest wrote:

Non-Racial Traits aren't made yet. Nopony knows how they work, just that they'll be added later. I'm still figuring them out myself. =)

And I wouldn't worry. Look up at my last comment. I'd almost be willing to include that version of the talent as-is. Just like to get some feedback first.

Yeah, I didn't see that until I had already posted mine. Suffice to say, it's exactly what I was going for.
Why are you so smart? You seem to always know what you're doing. Very Happy
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Call it Kicks McGee. It sounds better then Years of Apple Bucking.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:16 pm

AlicornPriest wrote:
Yeah, I didn't see that until I had already posted mine. Suffice to say, it's exactly what I was going for.
Why are you so smart? You seem to always know what you're doing. Very Happy

*laughs* I try. Helps I've been studying game design for a few years.

Masterweaver wrote:Call it Kicks McGee. It sounds better then Years of Apple Bucking.
Really? I like "Years of Apple-Bucking". Also fits, since it's what Applejack attributed her awesomeness to during the Iron-Pony competition, in the kicking round. What do you think AlicornPriest?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:There are all really interesting. What do you folks think of them? The more you comment on one anothers' designs, the more likely it is they'll get added. Cool

Well, in regard to Extensive Clan, I have to wonder how skilled these NPCs are. Are they automatically skilled at whatever task you ask of them? Or do they have a specific skillset you pick out when you take the talent?

In regard to Kicks McGee, it seems okay, but some clarification as to what counts as strong or weak would help. I would assume that full-grown trees represent a strong object, but where does strong slip into weak? Also, there should be some sort of limit; I doubt using this on Canterlot Castle would knock everypony off of it.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:36 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:
Well, in regard to Extensive Clan, I have to wonder how skilled these NPCs are. Are they automatically skilled at whatever task you ask of them? Or do they have a specific skillset you pick out when you take the talent?

I would think that they would have abilities as would suit a family member of you. For example, Applejack's family are all skilled in Applebucking, farm work, etc. A unicorn from a family of artist unicorns would summon up artists. That sort of thing. I assume you would have to define what your family is like if you want to take the trait.
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah, Years of Apple Bucking implies that they've had, well, years of apple bucking. Instead of whatever. Kicks McGee is both shorter sylibalicly and letterwise, as well as making it more general.

As for extensive clan... I would assume the Ponyhandler would decide on the NPCs.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:48 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:
In regard to Kicks McGee, it seems okay, but some clarification as to what counts as strong or weak would help. I would assume that full-grown trees represent a strong object, but where does strong slip into weak?

Definitely great points. I've thrown up a possible version called, "Years of Apple-Bucking" which lets you use the current system of Stunt checks, just with a hefty bonus. That should help clear a lot up. If three people like it, I'll add it to either Earth Pony talents or general talents.

As for Extensive Family - yep, we definitely need more specifications. I do like the concept of the talent though. Perhaps it just provides a friendly NPC in town rather than summoning ponies to the middle of swamps and mountain ranges.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Stand Firm is very cool. I feel it needs to be a bit more specific though (saying precisely how long it lasts and what kind of endurance checks a pony would suffer), but I can polish it if need be. And I'm not yet sure it's broken in any way. Probably not, considering the unicorn's Immovable talent.

Years of Apple-Bucking
You gain a +7 bonus to Stunts checks made to kick something with your hind legs outside of combat (such as smashing a boulder out of your way or kicking a tower to try and knock something off it).

Stand Firm's been edited. Basically, you can do it indefinitely, but you'd need a darn good reason, since pretty much the only other thing you can do is talk. In terms of the checks, failing a check ends Stand Firm, so "indefinitely" really means "until you fail a check". Also, possibility of being distracted out of Stand Firm has been added.

Years of Apple-Bucking looks pretty good! Since names can be changed to suit the pony in question, it need not be Apple-Bucking that gave them that strength. Could be bucking of some other fruit, or maybe experience in demolition.
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  AlicornPriest Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:08 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:Since names can be changed to suit the pony in question, it need not be Apple-Bucking that gave them that strength. Could be bucking of some other fruit, or maybe experience in demolition.

Oh, yeah. tongue We get so caught up in naming stuff 'cuz good names are important in other systems. (See the Bugsby and Mordenkainen spells in D&D). But in this system, you get to name your own abilities!
AlicornPriest
AlicornPriest
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 am

I really like years of apple bucking! And Stand firm probably should have some definite stop point. "Pony can only stand firm for a period of time given at the start of standing. Ponyhandler offers an endurence DC for that time frame, and if passed, pony is immovable by anything other than distractions." Maybe?
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:57 am

Seems Years of Apple-Bucking is going to go in. I'm sure Stand Firm will make it in under some form or other too.

The big question now... Should, "Years of Apple Bucking" be an Earth Pony Racial or under Everypony?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Earth Pony.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:56 am

Here's a talent I came up with a while ago: Off-Screen Teleportation.

I don't know exactly how it would work, but here's the things I had in mind:

• No creature may be looking at the user at the moment they use Off-Screen Teleportation.

• No creature may be looking at the spot the user is teleporting to.

• This power should not be able to be used to map out an area or be able to tell if someone's inside a room they wish to enter.

• This power should have a short range, centered on the user (for repeated hops), allies (for teleporting to them from wherever they may be) or both.

Thoughts?
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:57 am

LoganAura wrote:Stand firm probably should have some definite stop point. "Pony can only stand firm for a period of time given at the start of standing. Ponyhandler offers an endurence DC for that time frame, and if passed, pony is immovable by anything other than distractions." Maybe?

A good point, which does simplify Stand Firm quite a bit. I've stolen your phrasing to edit Stand Firm, by the by. Smile

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Seems Years of Apple-Bucking is going to go in. I'm sure Stand Firm will make it in under some form or other too.

The big question now... Should, "Years of Apple Bucking" be an Earth Pony Racial or under Everypony?

I vote Everypony. That way we're still making sure that things like tough unicorns are an option.

Videocrazy wrote:Here's a talent I came up with a while ago: Off-Screen Teleportation.

• No creature may be looking at the user at the moment they use Off-Screen Teleportation.

• This power should not be able to be used to map out an area or be able to tell if someone's inside a room they wish to enter.

• This power should have a short range, centered on the user (for repeated hops), allies (for teleporting to them from wherever they may be) or both.

Thoughts?

Given your criteria, I have to wonder what use the power is, unless the party's been split. Sure, the whole thing runs on Rule of Funny anyway, but I personally believe that if it's in the utility talents section, it should have a little more... well, utility.

Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Videocrazy wrote:Here's a talent I came up with a while ago: Off-Screen Teleportation.

Thoughts?

I like it. Another point to add-
*This power cannot be used within 100 ft of something extremely plot relevant such as an already captured ally, a big bad, a mystical item that can only be reached on the full moon, etc.
Edit: Going off of what Warrior said, and the fact that every session involves the party splitting up so far in stairc's game, I think this would be really helpful. Even if just to relay messages between the party.
EP because Pinkie's the only one to use it too.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next