EARTH PONY TALENTS!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: EARTH PONY TALENTS!!!!!

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:02 pm

LoganAura wrote:I like it. Another point to add-
*This power cannot be used within 100 ft of something extremely plot relevant such as an already captured ally, a big bad, a mystical item that can only be reached on the full moon, etc.
Edit: Going off of what Warrior said, and the fact that every session involves the party splitting up so far in stairc's game, I think this would be really helpful. Even if just to relay messages between the party.
EP because Pinkie's the only one to use it too.

Point taken on the relaying messages thing, and I see where you're trying to go with the added point, but my nitpicky brain can't help but notice that since the party is made up of main characters, they're all extremely plot-relevant.
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:31 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:
*This power cannot be used within 100 ft of something extremely plot relevant such as an already captured ally, a big bad, a mystical item that can only be reached on the full moon, etc.
Edit: Going off of what Warrior said, and the fact that every session involves the party splitting up so far in stairc's game, I think this would be really helpful. Even if just to relay messages between the party.

Point taken on the relaying messages thing, and I see where you're trying to go with the added point, but my nitpicky brain can't help but notice that since the party is made up of main characters, they're all extremely plot-relevant.

Plot relevant *allied party members non-withstanding?
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:19 pm

LoganAura wrote:
The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:

Plot relevant *allied party members non-withstanding?

That works. Very Happy
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Years of Apple-Bucking looks good the way Stairc put it. And now the big question: everypony or Earth pony talent?
While I can certainly see why it should probably be an everypony talent, allow me to quickly argue why it should be Earth pony exclusive.
Unicorns seen so far tend to be more "aristocratic" for lack of a better term. Most of the "high society" ponies Rarity hangs out with in Sweet and Elite are unicorns, and they seem like the type to look down on manual labor. Also, they don't need to engage in it; remember how Twilight harvested the trees with magic in Applebuck Season? Unicorns wouldn't develop strong leg muscles because they wouldn't need to.
Pegasii: while Dash has been known to kick things (clouds, sleeping dragons, tables), she still lost emphatically to Applejack in the Iron Pony competition for, well, Applejack's years of apple-bucking. And what do pegasii kick most often? Clouds, probably, which don't seem to have anywhere near the resistance of an apple tree.

Of course you can argue that there are always exceptions to rules and that players love being those exceptions, and I would have to agree. I could certainly see it being in either category.

That does give me an idea for another Earth pony talent though:
Salt of the Earth or Close to the Earth:
You get a +2 bonus to athletics checks.

I don't know if this would be too much, but with that talent, Applejack-of-all-Trades, training, and a cutie mark an Earth pony could get +21 in either Stunts or Endurance. If I read the rules right an Aerial Ace pegasus can potentially get up to +23 though, so I don't think it's too unbalanced.

And now that just gave me an idea for another unicorn talent...
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Delectable description - 3/day
Choose an edible item, gem, or other item of value. You describe it's positive aspects so vividly, other ponies fall victims to temptation. All listeners must roll a horse-sense check. DC is determined by the value, craftsmanship and the player's personal description of the item. If they fail, they will covet the item, neglecting duties, going against their usual moral standards (e.g. stealing, lying...), as well as allowing them to be bribed by the item in question. Affected ponies will try to keep their temptation a secret, unless caught. If they get caught doing something immoral due to their temptation, you get harmony points for teaching them a valuable friendship lesson.

Melodic Musical - Daily
Preparation time: 5 minutes
You are gifted in the art of singing songs. The song lasts 5 minutes (real time). During this time, any skill checks you attempt have half your acrobatics and half of your persuasion values added to them, and cannot critically fail. Achieving a critical success extends the song for two minutes. Cutie mark critical successes extend it for four minutes. Max song duration is 10 minutes. Up to two allies can join you in the song, adding +2 or +4 to the checks.

Pedestrian Parade - Daily
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Prerequisite: Melodic Musical
Your songs become so majestic, they cause all neutral and friendly creatures within its hearing range to join you in song. The song lasts 5 minutes (real time). Unfriendly creatures can make a horse-sense check to prevent joining the song. Every participant of the song is pacified and friendly for its duration, cannot suffer from sanity loss, and cannot be harmed. All skill checks during this time are boosted by the number of participants. If the song has at least 50 participants, you can perform a single cutie mark critical success at will.

Daunting Duet - Daily
Preparation time: 1 minute
You initiate a interrogative song with a target creature, causing it to blatantly sing out its secrets. The song lasts five minutes (real time). For its duration, the target is pacified, and suffers a -10 penalty against persuasion checks to reveal information, motivations, secrets, etc.

Disheveled Depository
You are capable of carrying and concealing up to three objects within your mane (or tail) hair with no weight penalties. Items stored within are safe from any harm, and can be retrieved at will. The items can be anything, as long as you can lift them without assistance and they aren't harmful to you (e.g. burning items). It is impossible for others to discern what items you are concealing, unless they see you place them into your mane. Other ponies cannot retrieve the items within, unless they roll a search check at a -10 penalty.

Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Philadelphus wrote:That does give me an idea for another Earth pony talent though:
Salt of the Earth or Close to the Earth:
You get a +2 bonus to athletics checks.

Personally, I'd go with Salt of the Earth; it sounds better. Other than that, simple but effective, and makes sense for Earth Ponies.

Zarhon wrote:Delectable description - 3/day
Choose an edible item, gem, or other item of value. You describe it's positive aspects so vividly, other ponies fall victims to temptation. All listeners must roll a horse-sense check. DC is determined by the value, craftsmanship and the player's personal description of the item. If they fail, they will covet the item, neglecting duties, going against their usual moral standards (e.g. stealing, lying...), as well as allowing them to be bribed by the item in question. Affected ponies will try to keep their temptation a secret, unless caught. If they get caught doing something immoral due to their temptation, you get harmony points for teaching them a valuable friendship lesson.

Melodic Musical - Daily
You are gifted in the art of singing songs. The song lasts 5 minutes (real time). During this time, any skill checks you attempt have half your acrobatics and half of your persuasion values added to them, and cannot critically fail. Achieving a critical success extends the song for two minutes. Cutie mark critical successes extend it for four minutes. Max song duration is 10 minutes. Up to two allies can join you in the song, adding +2 or +4 to the checks.

Your songs become so majestic, they cause all neutral and friendly creatures within its hearing range to join you in song. The song lasts 5 minutes (real time). Unfriendly creatures can make a horse-sense check to prevent joining the song. Every participant of the song is pacified and friendly for its duration, cannot suffer from sanity loss, and cannot be harmed. All skill checks during this time are boosted by the number of participants. If the song has at least 50 participants, you can perform a single cutie mark critical success at will.

Daunting Duet - Daily
You initiate a interrogative song with a target creature, causing it to blatantly sing out its secrets. The song lasts five minutes (real time). For its duration, the target is pacified, and suffers a -10 penalty against persuasion checks to reveal information, motivations, secrets, etc.

Disheveled Depository
You are capable of carrying and concealing up to three objects within your mane (or tail) hair with no weight penalties. Items stored within are safe from any harm, and can be retrieved at will. The items can be anything, as long as you can lift them without assistance and they aren't harmful to you (e.g. burning items). It is impossible for others to discern what items you are concealing, unless they see you place them into your mane. Other ponies cannot retrieve the items within, unless they roll a search check at a -10 penalty.

Delectable Description looks pretty good as-is. I was initially wondering why Melodic Musical was Earth Pony, but then I realized that while anypony can be good at singing, only Pinkie can turn it into a bonus. XD As such, those look good. Disheveled Depository is good as well. (Wow, I just described three skills with four sentences that pretty much say the same thing. Go me, I'm talented. XD)
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:41 pm

For those music talents- time is extended if the player can make a quick song relevant to the situation without messing up the flow of the game
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Melodic Musical - Daily

Daunting Duet - Daily

Disheveled Depository

The three Melodic Musical talents seem more Everypony then Pinkie Pie ("Do we need to sing the song again Rainbow?"), but I can see the other two being Earth Pony exclusives. Pedestrian Parade also qualifies as an Eldritch talent, I'll copy-post.
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:00 am

It's Lesson Zero all over again!
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Great thoughts everyone. I think I'll put Years of Apple-Bucking into Earth Pony for now. Might change to Everypony later if we get some even better Earth Pony ones.

Melodic Musical - Daily

Daunting Duet - Daily

Disheveled Depository

These concepts are fantastic! Seriously Zarhorn, you come up with so many unique and flavorful ideas. Awesome job. I'm looking forward to polishing em.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Delectable description - 3/day

Well, that seems like it could be abused. Use it, then catch the listeners for harmony points, then repeat.

Does the CMCS have to be used during the song, or can it be saved for afterwards? Also, just to make sure, it can only be used on your actual Cutie Mark skill, right?

Disheveled Depository

This includes items that are bigger than your mane, that you can still lift, like a very large pillow, right?
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:11 am

Videocrazy wrote:1) Well, that seems like it could be abused. Use it, then catch the listeners for harmony points, then repeat.

2) Does the CMCS have to be used during the song, or can it be saved for afterwards? Also, just to make sure, it can only be used on your actual Cutie Mark skill, right?

3) This includes items that are bigger than your mane, that you can still lift, like a very large pillow, right?

1) True. The DM can make some workarounds though. A good way of countering the abuse could be making the caster pony suffer sanity points, or lose harmony points if they make an unfair accusation, or do it just to catch them in the act. Another thing that could be done is having only the DM know which ponies are, if any. It's primary use should be to boost a value of an item, bribery, or as a distraction/disruption method. The "catching in the act" is merely a bonus. An alternative to harmony points can be having the caught character learn their lesson and owe you a single favor, or being simply friends with you from there on.

2) Ideally, it should, otherwise the song doesn't make much sense, as the CMCS is the "crowning point" of it. Think of the character singing a "this is who I am" song to an audience (In Pinkie's case, it was to make everyone smile/happy, except Cranky, who made his save). Also, it would probably lead to abuse if you could use it at will or store it. Though it is rather limiting, I must agree. I think the player should announce what his song is about and what his cutie mark skill check would be for, before he starts, to prevent a waste. Since it's a CMCS, it should generally be something akin to a miracle or something entirely impossible.

3) Yes. You could pull a katana out of it, for example, or a ladder, or trombone. General rule is it has to be easily liftable by you, and it can't be so big it can't enter your mane properly. A katana or ladder could be stored, as they can "sink" into the mane through cartoon physics. A gigantic plush ball, while liftable, is simply too big to enter and sink into your mane. Small objects with huge mass (like a "two-ton weight") cant, as they would be generally too heavy to carry (although, the ones that are allowed wont actually burden you.)

Also, can we make an informal rule to the earth pony talent names: That they should all be alliterations of some sort?
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:23 am

...Again, I must reiterate that non-earth-pony characters have been seen doing musical numbers. Pinkie may be the most common, but Twilight had her Winter Wrap Up solo, and Rainbow+Fluttershy got a duet in May The Best Pet Win. Not to forget crowdsongs like Best Night Ever, or "This Day is going to be Perfect..."
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Masterweaver wrote:...Again, I must reiterate that non-earth-pony characters have been seen doing musical numbers. Pinkie may be the most common, but Twilight had her Winter Wrap Up solo, and Rainbow+Fluttershy got a duet in May The Best Pet Win. Not to forget crowdsongs like Best Night Ever, or "This Day is going to be Perfect..."

They have, but only Pinkie Pie did something extraordinary with it: The others were pretty much showing off what they could normally do, with a bit more skill, or just singing for the sake of singing. Pinkie Pie blatantly broke physics several times during her song. Winter wrap up they didn't do anything extraordinary, though you could say they boosted each others effort.

Therefore, I'm thinking that Melodic Musical would fit as an everypony talent (Or maybe even a "pony-only" talent).

The Pedestrian Parade would still be a earth-pony only talent though, due to it's fantastic scope. Also, the sanity points thing is optional, in case that system isn't being used.

Anyway here's a few more!

Unheralded utensil - 2/day
Prerequisite: Disheveled Depository
You may use this talent when you or an ally attempts to make a check in a skill that is unrelated to your cutie mark. You suddenly remember having a tool you kept stashed for just such an occasion. This tool does not count towards your 3-item limit of "Disheveled Depository", but it still must meet its size criteria. Using the tool instantly succeeds the check and the tool is promptly discarded or broken. The tool or object can perform only basic physical tasks, or minor, non-complex magical effects. The check's success cannot affect other utility talents, and cannot become a critical success.
In addition to this ability, you can start each session with a single simple tool (Non-magical, physical tasks only) already added into your mane (Size restriction and 3-item limit applies for this case). You must announce this tool to the DM. Tools obtained this way from previous sessions are discarded. DM discretion applies for any tool used.

(Example: A pony encounters a giant slab of ice blocking his path, and makes a check to break it. He uses the ability to conjure up a magic-powered pickaxe which breaks the slab fairly quickly. In addition, the player added a ladder to his mane inventory at that start of that session, causing a katana from a previous session to vanish.)

Impetuous Impulse - 1/session
You perform a social encounter in such a polite, brazen and careless way, that all those witnessing it are too shocked, confused and/or full of disbelief to actually act against you.
For this ability, you must choose a social target you roughly know the location of and can reach without being physically blocked. Anypony you encounter on the way will stare in disbelief, but otherwise not act against you. You may politely ask them for minor things or favors (e.g. asking a guard to unlock a door, or for directions) to help you reach the target and they will comply, within reason. You can attempt up to three standard checks to assist you in reaching your target. Once you reach your target, you succeed a single persuasion check against them, as if it was a cutie mark critical success.
After that, you have a grace period of 6 (for friendly/neutral targets), or 1d6+1 (for hostile targets) in-game minutes, before everypony you encountered snaps out of their state and starts responding to your actions. This time can be extended by 1 minute for each action or display of information that would have direct negative consequences to you afterwards (In other words, Digging yourself deeper), or are generally incredibly unwise, foolish, stupid or outright suicidal to do in such a situation.
If the targets were friendly when the duration ends, they'll "pretend this never happened", as long as you didn't do something that would make them hostile.
If the targets were neutral, they will act against you and try to punish you for your actions.
If the targets were hostile, they will hunt you down and immediately initiate combat encounters.
Any allies that assist the caster in this action are treated the same way as the caster. Otherwise, they are affected by it like the other NPCs, and are NOT held responsible for any of the casters actions, or capable to assist them on the way. This ability cannot affect mindless creatures such as constructs or non-sapient entities.
If the pony fails to reach their target with three standard checks and is blocked on the way, the effect ends early and it's consequences are enacted.

Examples of how this ability would work:

Situation 1 (vs friendlies/neutrals) - A group of ponies needs to convince Celestia to stop a deforestation attempt. They use this ability to casually stroll into the princesses castle (politely asking the dumbfounded guards for directions and to open doors), eventually reaching the throne room, interrupting an important diplomatic meeting, and ask her directly. She complies, and the ponies now have 6 minutes to get the hell away before the neutral guards try to arrest him (Celestia and the diplomats pretend this never happened, as they are "friendly").

Situation 2 (vs hostiles) - A pony needs to steal an item being held by a Changeling Queen. He decides to casually stroll into her hive, in full view of the changelings (+1min), calmly explaining to various guards that he needs to borrow something (+1min, he also asks for directions), before finally reaching the Queens chambers, identifying himself as an agent of Celestia (+1min), and calling her a cake-munching fat-flank dung-beetle (+1min, CMCS), which causes her to break into tears and give you the item. The caster now has 1d6 + 1 + 4 minutes to get away before the entirety of the changeling hive snaps out of their shock and start hunting him down (Including the Queen herself). Since his allies did not join him in this attempt, they simply watched their companion stroll into the hive in shock, and are safe, at least temporarily.

Situation 3 (vs neutral) - A pony walks into a non-hostile dragon's cave and tells him he's here to steal his hoard. The dragon stares in disbelief for 6 minutes. If the pony steals from him during this time, he's chase him down and punish him when the timer ends. Otherwise he'll just either do a minor punishment for the insult (flicking him away with his finger), or ignore the incident.

Show examples/inspirations of this ability: Celestia and the parasprite invasion, Celestia and Pinkie Pie snatching a cupcake from her during her party. This ability *could* fit in as an everypony talent, but earth ponies simply seem to be the most likely do to such a stupid feat and have it succeed.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Zarhon wrote:Anyway here's a few more!

You may use this talent when you or an ally attempts to make a check in a skill that is unrelated to your cutie mark. You suddenly remember having a tool you kept stashed for just such an occasion. This tool does not count towards your 3-item limit of "Disheveled Depository", but it still must meet its size criteria. Using the tool instantly succeeds the check and the tool is promptly discarded or broken. The tool or object can perform only basic physical tasks, or minor, non-complex magical effects. The check's success cannot affect other utility talents, and cannot become a critical success.
In addition to this ability, you can start each session with a single simple tool (Non-magical, physical tasks only) already added into your mane (Size restriction and 3-item limit applies for this case). You must announce this tool to the DM. Tools obtained this way from previous sessions are discarded. DM discretion applies for any tool used.

(Example: A pony encounters a giant slab of ice blocking his path, and makes a check to break it. He uses the ability to conjure up a magic-powered pickaxe which breaks the slab fairly quickly. In addition, the player added a ladder to his mane inventory at that start of that session, causing a katana from a previous session to vanish.)

You perform a social encounter in such a polite, brazen and careless way, that all those witnessing it are too shocked, confused and/or full of disbelief to actually act against you.
For this ability, you must choose a social target you roughly know the location of and can reach without being physically blocked. Anypony you encounter on the way will stare in disbelief, but otherwise not act against you. You may politely ask them for minor things or favors (e.g. asking a guard to unlock a door, or for directions) to help you reach the target and they will comply, within reason. You can attempt up to three standard checks to assist you in reaching your target. Once you reach your target, you succeed a single persuasion check against them, as if it was a cutie mark critical success.
After that, you have a grace period of 6 (for friendly/neutral targets), or 1d6+1 (for hostile targets) in-game minutes, before everypony you encountered snaps out of their state and starts responding to your actions. This time can be extended by 1 minute for each action or display of information that would have direct negative consequences to you afterwards (In other words, Digging yourself deeper), or are generally incredibly unwise, foolish, stupid or outright suicidal to do in such a situation.
If the targets were friendly when the duration ends, they'll "pretend this never happened", as long as you didn't do something that would make them hostile.
If the targets were neutral, they will act against you and try to punish you for your actions.
If the targets were hostile, they will hunt you down and immediately initiate combat encounters.
Any allies that assist the caster in this action are treated the same way as the caster. Otherwise, they are affected by it like the other NPCs, and are NOT held responsible for any of the casters actions, or capable to assist them on the way. This ability cannot affect mindless creatures such as constructs or non-sapient entities.
If the pony fails to reach their target with three standard checks and is blocked on the way, the effect ends early and it's consequences are enacted.

Examples of how this ability would work:

Situation 1 (vs friendlies/neutrals) - A group of ponies needs to convince Celestia to stop a deforestation attempt. They use this ability to casually stroll into the princesses castle (politely asking the dumbfounded guards for directions and to open doors), eventually reaching the throne room, interrupting an important diplomatic meeting, and ask her directly. She complies, and the ponies now have 6 minutes to get the hell away before the neutral guards try to arrest him (Celestia and the diplomats pretend this never happened, as they are "friendly").

Situation 2 (vs hostiles) - A pony needs to steal an item being held by a Changeling Queen. He decides to casually stroll into her hive, in full view of the changelings (+1min), calmly explaining to various guards that he needs to borrow something (+1min, he also asks for directions), before finally reaching the Queens chambers, identifying himself as an agent of Celestia (+1min), and calling her a cake-munching fat-flank dung-beetle (+1min, CMCS), which causes her to break into tears and give you the item. The caster now has 1d6 + 1 + 4 minutes to get away before the entirety of the changeling hive snaps out of their shock and start hunting him down (Including the Queen herself). Since his allies did not join him in this attempt, they simply watched their companion stroll into the hive in shock, and are safe, at least temporarily.

Situation 3 (vs neutral) - A pony walks into a non-hostile dragon's cave and tells him he's here to steal his hoard. The dragon stares in disbelief for 6 minutes. If the pony steals from him during this time, he's chase him down and punish him when the timer ends. Otherwise he'll just either do a minor punishment for the insult (flicking him away with his finger), or ignore the incident.

Show examples/inspirations of this ability: Celestia and the parasprite invasion, Celestia and Pinkie Pie snatching a cupcake from her during her party. This ability *could* fit in as an everypony talent, but earth ponies simply seem to be the most likely do to such a stupid feat and have it succeed.

I like Unheralded Utensils, which looks good as is. Impetuous Impulse is nice in concept, but is worded somewhat confusingly. Also, one would think that hostiles would react sooner than friendlies rather than later.
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:22 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:Also, one would think that hostiles would react sooner than friendlies rather than later.

Nope. The very fact your doing something so stupid to someone clearly hostile to you gives you a +1 minute due to sheer audacity. This allows a minimum of 2 minutes to escape a hostile, making it fair in case the player suffers a nat1 on the roll. It makes the players think *very* hard on how they want to use this: Luck might fail them, or it might favor them, so they have to get themselves into more trouble to have a chance of getting away. It's a game breaker for the DM, but with very serious consequences for the player if it's not pulled off properly. If it though, you'll be splitting your sides from laughter.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Zarhon wrote:
The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:Also, one would think that hostiles would react sooner than friendlies rather than later.

Nope. The very fact your doing something so stupid to someone clearly hostile to you gives you a +1 minute due to sheer audacity. This allows a minimum of 2 minutes to escape a hostile, making it fair in case the player suffers a nat1 on the roll. It makes the players think *very* hard on how they want to use this: Luck might fail them, or it might favor them, so they have to get themselves into more trouble to have a chance of getting away. It's a game breaker for the DM, but with very serious consequences for the player if it's not pulled off properly. If it though, you'll be splitting your sides from laughter.

I see your point, but I'm still not convinced. Still, the concept itself is solid.
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:49 am

So is there an essential DC limit that this power can't be used on, or can use theoretically use it on any skill check, if you can convince the DM it'd work?

Did you mean "impolite"?
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Videocrazy wrote:1) So is there an essential DC limit that this power can't be used on, or can use theoretically use it on any skill check, if you can convince the DM it'd work?

2) Did you mean "impolite"?

1) Yeah, DM can trump any of the tools as insufficient. They also are limited in type and function, so it's unlikely they'll be able to solve every problem with it. Some checks might require more than one tool, for example, or could work in theory, but be incredibly inefficient (e.g. a pickaxe to cut a glacier).

2) Well, it's both, kind of. Polite attitude can still end up relaying an insult or be offensive / shocking.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:35 am

The Applejack Maneuver - 2 / Day (For interrupting), At will (Other)
You force your hoof into someponys mouth, immediately interrupting any type of persuasion check against you and preventing any such checks from the target for 5 minutes. This also prevents them from talking as long as you have your hoof stuck in their mouth. You can also use this to forcefully stick a small object into their mouth, forcing them to taste it and giving them a choice of either spitting it out, or eating it. If spat out, there is still a chance (DC20 endurance) for the tasted object to affecting the target, if such effects are present.

(Example of use: Interrupting a "He did it!" persuasion check against you, or force-feeding someone cupcake with poison joke, making them roll to save against it (unless they just choose to eat it).

Last edited by Zarhon on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:08 am

*laughs* Zarhorn, seriously, great ideas but you MUST start making talents more efficiently. How long is that social encounter again? Try to cut everything down to no longer than your last Force-Field revision (which was great btw and is almost certainly going to make it into the expansion).

Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:56 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:*laughs* Zarhorn, seriously, great ideas but you MUST start making talents more efficiently. How long is that social encounter again? Try to cut everything down to no longer than your last Force-Field revision (which was great btw and is almost certainly going to make it into the expansion).

ASDFSDFS-okay

Duration (Starting after CMCS): 6 mins (Friendly/Neutral creature), 1d6+1 mins (Hostile creature), extends +1 mins per "negative" action
Range: 200 yards
Choose a non-mindless creature that you can reach via walking/flying (if available). You and anyone assisting you take refuge in audacity, causing anypony you encounter on the way to the target unable to act against you, in any way. A total of two standard skill checks can be performed prior to reaching the target, by you or anyone assisting you. When you reach your target, you perform a cutie mark critical success persuasion check. This then starts a timer (Depending on your target and actions: see duration) before all those you encountered start reacting to you and your assistants actions. This timer extends if negative actions are performed prior to reaching the target and before the timer expires. "Negative" actions include (but are not limited to): Insults, acts of vandalism, scandals, sacrilege, immoral / taboo actions, revealing information that would assist in tracking you (e.g. identity, occupation, adress), and other actions within the DMs juristiction.

Affected creature reactions (Both target and others) are as follows:
Friendly - Pretends events never happened. Negative actions can turn them neutral/hostile (depending on severity) towards you, and they react as such.
Neutral - Attempts to punish, detain, or imprison the caster and any assistants. Negative actions can turn them hostile.
Hostile - Attempts to initiate combat. Negative actions can turn them implacable (immune to pacification and persuasion).

(I'm thinking the creature reactions list is an optional paragraph)

Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Zarhon wrote:
Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:*laughs* Zarhorn, seriously, great ideas but you MUST start making talents more efficiently. How long is that social encounter again? Try to cut everything down to no longer than your last Force-Field revision (which was great btw and is almost certainly going to make it into the expansion).

ASDFSDFS-okay

Duration (Starting after CMCS): 6 mins (Friendly/Neutral creature), 1d6+1 mins (Hostile creature), extends +1 mins per "negative" action
Range: 200 yards
Choose a non-mindless creature that you can reach via walking/flying (if available). You and anyone assisting you take refuge in audacity, causing anypony you encounter on the way to the target unable to act against you, in any way. A total of two standard skill checks can be performed prior to reaching the target, by you or anyone assisting you. When you reach your target, you perform a cutie mark critical success persuasion check. This then starts a timer (Depending on your target and actions: see duration) before all those you encountered start reacting to you and your assistants actions. This timer extends if negative actions are performed prior to reaching the target and before the timer expires. "Negative" actions include (but are not limited to): Insults, acts of vandalism, scandals, sacrilege, immoral / taboo actions, revealing information that would assist in tracking you (e.g. identity, occupation, adress), and other actions within the DMs juristiction.

Affected creature reactions (Both target and others) are as follows:
Friendly - Pretends events never happened. Negative actions can turn them neutral/hostile (depending on severity) towards you, and they react as such.
Neutral - Attempts to punish, detain, or imprison the caster and any assistants. Negative actions can turn them hostile.
Hostile - Attempts to initiate combat. Negative actions can turn them implacable (immune to pacification and persuasion).

(I'm thinking the creature reactions list is an optional paragraph)

Sweet. Now I can understand the concept. Maybe we can make it even more elegant.

Refuge In Audacity - 1/Session
Trigger - You do something in character that you regret. Examples include saying, "I eat the cupcake" before realizing that taking the sun-princesses' desert is probably a bad idea.

If the action occurred less than 1 minute ago in real time, you can backtrack and undo the action - as if it had never happened in-character.

It's not precisely what you were going for, but it's definitely a useful ability and captures the basic feeling of getting away with doing something very stupid.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:18 pm

I like the idea, but I would suggest having the DC determined by the players persuasion check. Then have the PonyHandler add bonuses or penalties based on:
-how well role-played the description was (Minimum modifier: -5, Maximum modifier: +5)
-the value of the item to the pony in question as a Situational bonus (Minimum modifier: -5, Maximum Modifier +5)
That's how I would play it out as PonyHandler.

Though I don't know about gaining Harmony points out of that. It seems kind of wrong to bait ponies into doing something they normally wouldn't, and then benefit from the compelled effect.
I think the ability would be good enough without the harmony gain. Compelling a guard to leave his post, or getting a hungry pony to help you out then giving him a pie as a reward. The ability has plenty of uses. And allows for new avenues for approaching many different situations.
I also could see this ability falling under the Everypony category, after all in Season 2 EP 1 Fluttershy pulls a similar feat off to get the animals to eat the cottoncandy clouds.

Anyway, I really like this concept and hope to see it implemented!
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:57 am

Zarhon wrote:The Applejack Maneuver - 2 / Day (For interrupting), At will (Other)
You force your hoof into someponys mouth, immediately interrupting any type of persuasion check against you and preventing any such checks from the target for 5 minutes. This also prevents them from talking as long as you have your hoof stuck in their mouth. You can also use this to forcefully stick a small object into their mouth, forcing them to taste it and giving them a choice of either spitting it out, or eating it. If spat out, there is still a chance (DC20 endurance) for the tasted object to affecting the target, if such effects are present.

(Example of use: Interrupting a "He did it!" persuasion check against you, or force-feeding someone cupcake with poison joke, making them roll to save against it (unless they just choose to eat it).

I like the basic ideas here, but this needs some fine-tuning. For example, why should it only interrupt Persuasion checks against you? Also, why exactly is this Earth Pony? They're not the only ones who can do this.
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum