Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge

+3
A1C Bronymous
Kris_The_Guest
Lyntermas
7 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge - Page 21 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge

Post  Lyntermas Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:40 am

Hmm. Well the paladin's might let you keep your stuff in their storage room if you ask. Otherwise, if we're headed straight to Nester's after this, then you can store them there.

Also, Skitter is not planning (right now) to screw over his new partners for personal gain. He's already told Rolf that he understands the necessity of "sharing the wealth" so that his meat shields companions don't die too quickly. So your stuff would be relatively safe with him.

And to answer your earlier question, Rolf is about 5'10".
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:51 am

Still, he is not the most trustworthy party member. Also, until that air freshener takes effect, all your stuff will come out smelling like moldy cheese.

And then once its taken effect, it will come out smelling like moldy cheese and... pine trees? mint? Whichever, still disgusting.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:09 am

Zarhon did not specify the scent so....I'm declaring everything comes out smelling of cheese (because of the cheese not the air freshener), vanilla, and rosewater. Which probably just means anything you take out causes you to salivate. Which might get awkward.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:21 am

I meant in character, otherwise I'll just go find an inn.
So Jer and Zthulan tie for tallest. Unless Tiff was actually like seven feet tall XD. Other than that, most of us are around the same height, except Skritter.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:11 am

Oh. Well you didn't ask in character. Kinda why we have those distinctions. Tiffany was a good foot shorter than Horizon.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 am

It was more just a suggestion. You can just ignore it.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:42 pm

@ Ramsus: It's a class feature? I was under the impression poisons need materials/ingredients (similar to how spells need "somatic components" that are almost always ignored in house-rules). Could you PM me the names of the poison features / spells / whichever in question?

@ Brony: I'll just say you got the clothes free and had your wounds healed/cleaned. The throwing knives/alchie fire you could have obtained from your own "secret" reserve (do you live in this town?), or bought from the shopkeepers.

@ Others: Please remind me if I'm forgetting anything, before I continue on with High Priest and the plot. Losing track of stuff with five people to manage.

Rolf

Rolf cuts the seal with the gem. Both the seal and the gem flicker with magic for a moment. The seal flashes and its magic drifts into shiny vapor, dispelling itself. The gypsy woman is satisfied and offers you a price similar to that of the scroll for the gem. She also examines the viscous mass, but can't recognize or otherwise tell what it would be. All she can tell from it is that it looks foul.

Tiffany and the two paladins approach Rolf at this time. She says she skimmed through the books Rolf wanted a bit: She thinks she can decipher them, if you let her keep them for a while to study them properly. Alternately, she could give you a basic "cheat sheet" of the religious scripts and let him decipher it himself, at his own leisure. The paladins (of who one is literally drenched in what seems to be blood) apologize for leaving earlier. They say they got their own share of challenges.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Not gonna bother with a PM and will just say stuff here since, I might as well. In 4th ed there aren't somatic components for spells. There are reagents for Rituals but, those are your out of combat things like enchanting items, scrying, unseen servant, animal messenger, teleportation circle, and stuff like that. Of course outside of the Executioner class' specific poisons, most poisons do require you to pay for them. It's just assumed that since it's a class feature the GM hand-waves how you have the ingredients, in the same way that it's handwaved how an Artificer has ingredients for their healing elixers or such.
The poisons I chose (Executioners pick two and can use their choice of one daily at our low levels) were Id Moss Powder (because I like the option of making my enemies permanently insane instead of killing them) and Bloodroot Poison (because dazed is one of the best debuff effects). Those (and the Executioner class which they come from) are found in the Heroes of Shadow book on pages 22 & 23.

Well, you never gave me any results for talking to the merchant unless I missed it. And I still have more shopping to do after that.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:18 pm

I'll say I got my wounds healed when I told the clerics that the shaman said the bone weren't meant to be disturbed (probably only Horizon's cut, but still).

Zarhon, I believe that Skitter was trying to haggle for a crossbow and rolled diplomacy. He might have some other shopping to do. Also, Jeraylia mentioned possibly playing a healing song for some refugees, but that's up to you.

Rolf looked over at the two paladins. "Judging by your appearance, I believe you. While I'd like to hear the full story later, you managed to keep the High Priest safe, and that's the important thing." He then addressed Tiffany. "Tiffany, if you think you can decipher the books, I would greatly appreciate it if you held on to them. However, if you are staying at the temple to help, I would ask that you give me the wire dove in case we run into Beady Jack. We might need his help, and he would appreciate his birthday present."

He asked the gypsy woman to wait for a moment, then went over to Skitter. He handed him the two scrolls. "Try selling these to that thiefling over there. He's probably the only one who would be willing to buy "suicide-by-fire" spells. Get some money, or see if he has anything you'd like."

He then wandered back to the gypsy woman. "Sorry about that. Anyway, if you are satisfied with the quality of my goods, I would like to trade you the scroll of invisibility and the seal-disarming gem in exchange for that Scroll of Gaseous Form."

Rolf then considered something for a moment, then looked back at the gypsy. "Actually, there is a favor I'd like to ask of you. I believe you mentioned that you do some fortune-telling. I noticed that you said there were no guarantees of favorable fortunes. I like that; it makes me more inclined to believe that your visions are accurate, rather than telling me what I want to hear. Given that my friends and I are embarking on a dangerous quest to save the city, I was wondering if you could give me a glimpse of what fortune (or folly) lies in my future. From one practitioner of magic to another, would you do this for me?

Roll for Diplomacy (If Skitter can ask for handouts, so can I). I also would like to get some money after Skitter is done exchanging the loot and grab a snack from the food merchant. I can change my clothes once we get to Nester's.

I hope the fortune is a bit more descriptive than just saying, "Death! DEATH!" and closing the stall in my face.

Last edited by Lyntermas on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:18 pm

Meh, I'll just finish up my thing myself. I was hoping I could also make a nature and arcane check, as I passed the temple, to see what I can tell about the beasts corpse (the one whose bones are being removed), but you can move the story along instead.

Jeraylia picks out the first aid tent by the fact that the wounded are being brought inside at a fast pace, and a slow stream are walking out wrapped up in bandages. She enters the tent, seeks out the head nurse, and immediately sets about helping those who are injured, both physically and mentally.

Jeraylia Heal -> 14(9+5[medium I'll assume])

As she cradles the recently bandaged head of a child orphaned by the day's events, she starts to sing a sombre, soothing, slightly pleading song.

[For the melody, and general tone, has anyone seen Disney's the Hunchback of Notre Dame? The "God help the Outcasts" song sung be Esmeralda.]

"Rest now, you weary, you hurt and bereaved.
The wounds you have suffered will soon be reprieved.
Rest now, you weary, for you're in our care.
We'll watch you closely, and ensure your welfare."

Though the day is long, and not every life could be saved, Jeraylia managed to ease the pain of a great many people, never once asking for thanks.

What? I had a rhyme ready and everything =| Maybe this increases the towns morale a bit more, if that will ever affect any modifiers.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:32 pm

As Zthulan continues to care for the dead, he feels Korvas beckoning him. Turning around he sees that she is circling over a group of injured making their way to receive treatment, the pseudodragon invisible all but to him. Seeing this the shaman curses himself for such as novice mistake.

'Remember the suffering of the living, young one,' the voices of both the dead saints and the spirits of the world reminds him.

With a small smile he nods towards Korvas and with that command she flicks her wings out, spreading the group with spiritual aid, allowing them quicker recovery.

Nature/spell for Healing Flood: 13.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Okay, so I assume the bloodroot poison is a dazing poison you apply to a weapon, while the Id Moss powder is something you blow/throw/apply into someone's face. The bloodroot poison you could probably easily find around for cheap moneys. The powder though seems a bit rarer, you probably have to buy it for average price for say 10 attacks?

Skitter

Haggling -> 9 + 8 = 17

You manage to reduce the price of the crossbow, allowing you to buy some of the average items as well with what you currently have.

The merchant replies that he isn't willing to sell you the magical or expensive stuff without some form of payment. At best he could give a discount on them, or instead offer either two packs of wooden/iron bolts for free, or a commissioned weapon craft for free. The magical stuff he can sell to the temple guardians, if the situation is so dire.

Jeraylia & Zthulan

The refugess are thankful for the healing. They don't have anything to offer other than minor useless trinkets and some food, but they're sure to remember you and spread word of your deeds.

Rolf

5 + 8 = 13

She obliges to your request, accepting the trade and asking to look her straight into her eyes. She looks into them, though you get the feeling she's looking through them, rather than at them.

Gypsy: "Hmmm... Curious. In your future I see... A devil in plain sight... A sore throat... An unexpected ward... A change of perspective. And death. Considering how whimsycal fate can be, that's about as useful as saying your future has taxes.

Last edited by Zarhon on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:27 pm

What? Did you not even read the post I made for the haggling after you told us we had to RP them?

Having to pay for the poisons/they run out means they aren't class features. They're just items at that point. Horizon or Rolf could just as easily have them if they're purchasable. All I'm getting from the choice at that point is not having to roll to avoid poisoning myself. Which is kinda worthless unless I spend so much money on poisons that in the end I could have bought an entire set of permanent magical items. The entire reason I made that choice was so I could use poisons without feeling like I was spending money when I used them and wasting money if I didn't. Like, if I had bought them before the start of the game, I still wouldn't have used them yet and would have just wasted a bunch of money I could have spent on other stuff. I hate doing that. If that's how you're going to rule on this then I'm going to have to go look for different class features that actually give me something.

Edit: Zarhon if you want an in universe explanation aside from handwaving "he get enough", we could always say they're some product of his shadow magic. Which makes enough sense. I doubt a hot spring in the Shadowfell would be reknown for its health benefits afterall, so he could just be conjuring ingredients from there.

Last edited by Ramsus on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Horizon has all of his things- clothes included- on him. He was carrying two extra changes of clothes, but he disposed of the torn up set, so now its just the white set and another in his pack, along with his 3 cloaks and a blanket (I can give you a rundown of his pouch and pocket set-up if you want, its pretty well thought out).

He bought the knives, and either the AFs or the ingredients for AFs and then just made them himself (unless this whole thing takes no longer than 20 minutes, intros included, then he just bought the AFs. But since everyone's kinda doing they're own thing right now, I figure I have time).

Anyways, assuming there are no more complications, I'm ready whenever you guys are.

Edit: So, was that fortune just about Rolf, or for the whole party?

Edit2: And yes, Horizon has lived in this town for at least.... 3 years? I forget the backstory timeline. Long enough to build that reputation that never comes into play, and have a permanent room at, I guess an inn, or something. No house.

Last edited by Bronymous on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Rolf thanked the gypsy and took the scroll. The fortune was vague, but perhaps that was a blessing in and of itself. He decided to walk over to where Jeraylia and Zthulan were healing the refugees.

"Well, you two seem to be doing well over here. Oh, I'm not sure if you've met each other. Jeraylia, this is Zthulan Ydal. Zthulan, this is Jeraylia Shale. As far as I'm concerned, you're both welcome to join our team, if you're still interested. I trust you've had the opportunity to meet the others, so I suppose the remaining question is, are you in?"

"Oh, Zthulan, perhaps you could help me with one last thing before we speak to the High Priest." Rolf pulls out the Cloak of General Unease. "I found this cloak inside one of the rooms in the temple. Yes, 'it looks like a regular cloak,' but I've detected magical properties from it, and I'm concerned it might be...alive, or something like it. Could you examine it for me and tell me what you can find?"

Rolf's done with his shopping, he can get food and clothes at Nester's. On with the plot!
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Zthulan gives a warm smile and bows his head slightly to Jeraylia
"A deva as traveled as you would provide much wisdom in many things, also your song was excellent in my opinion, perfect for some somber mood as today."

He takes at the cloak and nods. "Yes, when I gazed upon you Mr. Towden I noticed two entities near you. The first one is from this plane, it is an ancient power or spirit that gives off a form of 'life'. This one surrounded you during my observations and is apparently absolute in it's essence, which could mean it is unwavering somehow. The second one appears to be something I have never seen with both sights, it is neither fully natural or unnatural so it's origins are a mystery to me. My apologies I cannot be anymore assistance at this moment."
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:02 pm

"Nice to meet you, too, Dragonborn," Jeraylia replies, mirroring Zthulan's custom. "It pleases me to hear that the young can still appreciate a good song." Turning to Rolf, Jeraylia motions her hand and says, "Pass it here, Rolf. Let's see if I can figure anything out."

Can you slot me in for an arcana check Zarhon? I think bards automatically come trained in arcana and rituals.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Rolf hands the cloak over to Jeraylia. "Go right ahead. Perhaps you will be able to glean something from it I can't." He turns back to Zthulan. "The cloak is probably the "half-life" prescence you felt. As for the ancient one...well, long story short, I poked my nose where it didn't belong, and I got cursed by an orb of some kind. It apparently came from a civilization that predates the dragons, and had an inscription that said, "Invoke me - know death." The two other people known to have activated the orb are now dead, and lately I have seen figures in dark cloaks that appear right before someone dies and then vanish soon after. Perhaps if I see one, I'll point it out to you."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Zthulan's nods as Rolf tells the story.

"I see, well perhaps I can help in some way Rolf," closing his eyes for a moment he begins attempts to facilitate a conversation with the orb spirit.

Nat: 7... Curses!
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Maybe alt text in response to Rolf, depending on if it's who I think it is or not:
"You saw Bill?" Jeraylia blurts out. Realizing what she just said, her eyes shoot wide and she flatly asserts, "I said nothing." Luckily, Zthulu and Rolf were distracted by troupe of scantily clad female dancers of various species who were conveniently passing by.

Meanwhile, I think I've decided how I want to do my Majestic Word healing.
And Jeraylia spoke in a booming, angelic voice a heavenly commandment overflowing with compulsion and motivation, "Thou shalt walk it off."
Look forward to it.

Last edited by Broken Logic on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Broken Logic wrote:Meanwhile, I think I've decided how I want to do my Majestic Word healing.
And Jeraylia spoke in a booming, angelic voice a heavenly commandment overflowing with compulsion and motivation, "Thou shalt walk it off."
Look forward to it.

Oh I will, I will.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Horizon approaches the three, placing a new Alchemist's Fire in its specified pouch. "Are we done here? I'm honestly surprised we've had this much time to regroup and rearm. We probably need to get moving."

*subtle push
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Ramsus wrote:What? Did you not even read the post I made for the haggling after you told us we had to RP them?

Sorry, missed it. Edited earlier post.

@ Poisons: The skills clearly described the poisons as consumables (as opposed to being powers with a encounter/daily limit). I'm giving you free (or enough-to-last-till-next-purchase-time, like around 50 or so) uses of the bloodroot for cheap and 10 uses of the insanity powder for average (which is probably more than enough to last you most of the campaign, unless you spam it on every cultist you see).

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 pm

I don't get how you're getting that from: "You learn the recipes for two 1 st-level assassin poisons of your choice. During an extended rest, you can prepare one vial of a 1st-level assassin poison. You must know the poison's recipe and have a poisoner's kit. The vial contains a Single use of the
poison, which expires ifit isn't used before the start of your next extended rest. An item can benefit from the effects of only one assassin poison at a time. Only you can use your assassin poisons, and you are immune to the effects of the ones you create."

Well, he'd tried it the nice way. Skitter paid for the crossbow and took the two offered quivers (?) of iron bolts then walked over to the guy who looked like he might supply him with the supplies he needed for his poisons and purchased them, asking for the herbal ingredients and such so as not to make it obvious to anyone overhearing them what he was actually buying. He made his way back through the crowd to the weapons merchant and then proceeded to ask him if he'd reconsidered. Before the man could answer he replied in a loud enough voice to drown out the man's own how he and his companions would be so grateful for his donation to the cause as he placed his hand on the hilt of his short, behind the cover of his cloak, and sent a sharp slash of shadow into his chest, piercing his heart from the inside being careful not to let it cut deeply enough to cause any external wounds. As the man collapsed he immediately rushed to his side and went through the motions of pretending to see if he was ok and when it was clear he wasn't trying to figure out what was wrong. Making sure the man had expired before he shouted for a healer. He mentally sighed. It was a shame but, it was for the greater good of this community. This man's greed was standing in the way of these people's safety, he'd done them a service. Not one they would ever accept as necessary of course. All the more important there were "villains" like himself in the world to do it for them. ((Bluff: 19+8 = 27. Stealth: 16+8 = 24, Attack: Wow, that went better than expected. Changing what I wrote to accommodate then... nat 20!))

After the man was carted off/seen to by whoever, Skitter waited long enough to seem as if he cared and then proceeded to just take all the bolts and anything else he thought the party might actually need and stuffing it into his portable hole. He then asked who he should leave in charge of the man's merchandise. "Do belongings go to next of kin in this society?"

Edit: Note that he only takes what he thinks the party can actually use, not just anything that looks really valuable that they can sell. The man was deserving of his fate in his eyes but, whoever was to inherit his belongings had done nothing wrong to deserve being impoverished as far as he knew.

Zarhon, go ahead and correct that however you like, I just figured I'd assumed things worked out with me rolling so frigging well (I totally expected to roll a 1 on the bluff or something and have hilariously messed shit up) and narrated it to save on time. If it's fine then, I believe I'm all done and we can move on. Though Skitter would like to actually to meet Zthulu before we actually jump to the next scene. I didn't want to just assume it all worked out the way I wanted though and start talking to him before you made some kind of response.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:13 pm

For some reason I feel like that would cause enough commotion for Zthulan to investigate the situation. But I will wait for Zarhon's post.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next