Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge

+3
A1C Bronymous
Kris_The_Guest
Lyntermas
7 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge - Page 22 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 pm

That would be a good excuse for them to talk so, yeah, depending on Zarhon's response I think that's a good idea.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Upon hearing both Skitter's original outburst and his call for aid, Zthulan rushes through the possibly forming crowd to the man.

"Clear the way the spirits will do what they can to aid him!" Leaning towards the man he does his best to see if he can help the man. Checking his pulse Zthulan knows that he is too late to save the man, and sees if the man's spirit is present.

Da Spirits be with ya mon! - 18 +8 =24.

Ramus this is your little event, I am going to let you dictate whether or not Zthulan can discover what happened.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm sure its safe to say that all of us are going over there now. And I'm pretty sure most of us can figure out what happened, even if the Dragon guy is that naive.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:16 am

Horizon and Rolf sure, but the others might give me the benefit of the doubt since we just/haven't even met. =P
Edit: Besides, would Horizon even disapprove?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:18 am

I think I'll wait for Zarhon's response before I put in a reply.

So, to recap the rolls:

Jeraylia: Arcana/Nature to see if she can learn anything about the cloak
Zthulan: Spirits to try to talk to Rolf's death spirit.
Spirits to talk to dead merchant

Horizon and Rolf will probably guess what happened, but without proof, Rolf is unlikely to do anything (the whole "necessary evil" dealie may start to get to him, though). As for the merchant, all he would really know is that he was talking to Skitter one moment and then felt a sudden stabbing sensation in his chest. Could just be a heart attack...well, it was a heart attack, but you know what I mean.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:23 am

Ramsus wrote:Besides, would Horizon even disapprove?

Oh, absolutley not. Not beyond, say, making a scene and risking your (and our) rep with the townsfolk. Which he cares little about anyway. Rest assured he's not gonna call you on it.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:15 am

Gah, I didn't see Azarune's post till now. Azarune, I don't think it's up to me but Zarhon. And with that roll you probably did. Though, I was hoping to have a chance for Skitter to stop him, say hi, and generally prevent him from doing that. I'm still going to wait on Zarhon though. He might end up deciding the merchant didn't die (because for no explicable reason he was a 20th level fighter or something), the paladins saw Skitter do it and are rushing out to come kill him, and Bahamut showed up and decided to water board him with green jello.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:17 am

Don't forget, there are no shadows inside a person, and also you didn't speak the incantation required to use your sword. And because fuck Kobolds.

You know, the obvious reasons.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:33 am

The whole point of shadow slash is that it goes through cover... your skin is totally cover from your heart. Is my reasoning for why I should be able to do that. To most likely unstatted npc villager. Pretty sure I don't have any incantations. Would have mentioned that before. The third thing...eww. You're gross man.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:50 am

Skitter? What did you do >=(
No, but really, offing an NPC merchant because he wouldn't give you free silver bolts? I'll play the "Was too busy with crying orphans in the sickbay" card and leave all the commotion to the rest of you. The moral implications are too headache inducing to deal with. You'd better all roll bad perception checks XD.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:55 am

I think that Rolf and Jeraylia are going to have a little talk regarding his...moral conundrum once he gets a chance. At this point, Jeraylia seems the "wisest" person that Rolf could confide in regarding this matter.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:57 am

And Horizon will eavesdrop, and come in with his usual comically malevolent and/or whimsically apathetic comment.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 am

Bugger. I'm going to have to play motherbear for a possibly supercentenarian and/or unliving reptillian scoundrel either way, aren't I? *sigh* Roll to see if she's been in worse.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:35 am

Broken Logic wrote:Skitter? What did you do >=(
No, but really, offing an NPC merchant because he wouldn't give you free silver bolts? I'll play the "Was too busy with crying orphans in the sickbay" card and leave all the commotion to the rest of you. The moral implications are too headache inducing to deal with. You'd better all roll bad perception checks XD.

Oooooh, no you don't. The four of us are together, and we all heard Skitter be a murderer. You gotta pull something a little bigger to just ignore that. And our perception rolls don't need to fail- we'll just ignore what happened.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:55 am

You know....when I did that none of you were nearby..... as far as you guys should immediately know in character is that a guy died near Skitter. You might suspect something but, it's not like you actually know he did it. And aside from proximity I rolled high on both Bluff and Stealth. So unless you guys roll better on Perception and Insight you don't really have a mechanical excuse for believing otherwise than what Skitter says happened. And I bet those Perception checks would get penalties both from distance and from the crowd. Which was like....the whole point. He didn't just go "MURDER!" and stab the guy. He disguised his actions and made it look like the guy had a heart attack.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:11 am

Well then I'm suspicious. Perfectly healthy merchant keeling over whilst dealing with one whom I know personally to be an accomplished assassin. Yes, suspicious is the right word.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:09 am

Alright, I think I'm mentally prepared for the talk. I'm ready to go in whenever, coach >=| I think I've figured out a way of upholding Jeraylia's integrity without causing a rift in the group. So I'll drop the orphans and come with the rest of the party.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:37 am

@ Poisons: So what you're saying is you want your poisons to be free (You still need the poison maker kit), but then the insanity powder and bloodroot poison is only a single use/application on a weapon per extended rest?

@ Skitter's attack: A natural 20 on the attack roll is the only reason I'm letting that attack slide as having skin act as "cover piercing" and letting you shadow-attack the heart in such a way. Since it's a sneak attack, the merchant has no defense roll (and he's need a nat20 to prevent death anyway). The stealth check is also sufficient to let the attack be inconspicuous/non-skin-piercing, while the bluff is enough to stave any immediate blame of the act off of you. However, the nature of the attack would probably cause the merchant to act less like having a heart attack and more "spit blood", since you poked a big hole inside his heart (I could be wrong, since I'm not a pro at medicine. Feel free to link proof this can't happen. You can skip the "wound reaction" roll below if it's not medically viable). That, and there's no guarantee that he would expire before any of the people could reach him.

I'd like Ramsus to roll a d20 to see how badly he reacts to the wound (Nat1 -> Events occur as you described / Low rolls -> He dies quietly, plausible heart attack / high rolls -> Makes a fuss about it + doing several things a healer could notice is not symptoms of a heart attack / nat20 -> Spits blood, can't pretend it was heart attack).

The others who are willing to investigate can roll perception (+3 bonus if the merchant is making a fuss) to see if they notice what happened and another roll to see if they can reach the merchant before he actually expired.

Skitter can attempt to interject with roleplay/smart thinking to attempt to affect the rolls (giving bonuses/penalties... For instance, getting a healer to use the wrong type of healing through misinformation, or something), or additional rolls to directly affect/prevent them.

@ Zthulan: Yeah, that roll would allow you to speak with the spirit of the merchant... But first let's see how this all goes. You may have to re-roll that specific roll (since "prepared" rolls are somewhat unfair), unless the others don't mind him keeping it as it is.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:50 am

Zarhon wrote:@ Zthulan: Yeah, that roll would allow you to speak with the spirit of the merchant... But first let's see how this all goes. You may have to re-roll that specific roll (since "prepared" rolls are somewhat unfair), unless the others don't mind him keeping it as it is.

Gotchga, sorry about that. I tend to jump the gun a lot.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Yeah, that's how the poisons are supposed to work (unless I'm reading it wrong but, it seems pretty clear cut).

lol, Zarhon, that is probably the best reaction to a player killing a merchant to steal their stuff I've seen a GM give. I'm so used to seeing "no, you fail for X bullshit reason and the merchant glares at you" or "sure AND IT ALL GOES HORRIBLY WRONG IN NO WAY YOU COULD HAVE FORESEEN OR PREVENTED!" So, actually suggesting we look up medical facts (and I'm sure you're right about that and well...I'm no doctor and would likely not even understand what I was wiking to try and see who was right or wrong, so no debate there from me) and have a roll and more RP to get away with it is great.

I'm actually cool with Aza keeping the roll since he rolled it for that specific thing. I just hope his character will have the sense not to voice the information the spirit gives him out loud in public (as I believe shaman spirit communication isn't something you can just overhear, for that you'd need the Speak with Dead ritual right?). It's honestly more interesting if he succeeds and the characters actually have to talk about it.

Ok, murder luck roll.... go!: 7. Well...that could have gone a lot worse for me. Phew.

Not sure if I need this with that roll so, I'll just go ahead. Skitter is a trained apothecary so, yeah, let's see about him giving bad medical advice. Profession Apothecary (I'm just assuming this is +5, I have no idea how you wanted to deal with the professions Zarhon): 16+5 = 21. Ok probably good enough to come up with something that'd look like this then. Maybe. Now for the bluff: 15+8=23. I had a scare there, the die almost stopped on 5. I would have RPed those things with the rolls but....I'd have no clue what I was talking about.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Okay cool.

Zthulan closes his eyes and takes a deep breath before casting a glare towards Skitter. Following up by this he puts a hand on Skitters shoulder and talks to him in a reassuring manner.
"The damage was done, there is nothing more we can do, but at least he didn't suffer for long let us have a moment of prayer the spirits bring him peace." Kneeling down towards Skitter he begins to whisper something in draconic.

"The spirits don't lie friend, his spirit lingered enough for him to tell me of you. I may not know why you did it, but I do know more about you than others. You carry the spirits of others, as equally unnatural as yours. Know that I would strike you down if I didn't know you still work for the "greater good" as it were. Enjoy the spoils of your actions. May his spirit rest."

With that he gets up and faces the rest of the party and possible crowd.

"That is all I can do, what rites I could perform were done."

If you guys think there are any rolls just tell me, as I think I can counter them with half-truths but that may not go well for some. Also, am I allowed to do that without any rolls? There wasn't any attempt to do anything except for holding onto Skitter's shoulder.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:47 pm

After Skitter collects the items the party needs he followed after Zthulan and grabbed him by the arm (not hard, just a stopping motion). "Excuse me but, who are you? I see you were heading to my....companions. I take it since you didn't cry out to the crowd that you're thinking of joining us? Perhaps you should ask Rolf what happened when he made a similar threat. And for record, it not just me who enjoys the spoils but, all of us. Our... adventuring party and the town both. The man's greed put lives in danger. We now have what is needed at the cost of a small sacrifice. He will be remembered for being a much greater man than he was instead of living out his life serving only himself at the cost of other's wellbeing. His kin will hold his generosity and 'goodness' up as an example to follow. He was given the choice and chose himself. If we should save such men over others why fight this 'Zilnean' at all?"

Edit: Oh, I missed the bit about draconic. That was a nice touch. In that case this conversation was also in draconic.

Last edited by Ramsus on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:50 pm

I guess I'll roll and insight check to see if I realize what Skitter has done. Do you do insight checks Zarhon? Swap for appropriate check otherwise.
Perception check to see if I heard. Jeraylia can actually speak three langauges: Common, Draconic and Dwarven.

Perception -> 9(7+2)
Noticing the focused gazes of Rolf and Zthulu, Jeraylia looked towards the gathering crowd. She followed behind as her two companions moved off, impelled by the worry radiating from their eyes. The dead body immediately drew her attention as they arrived at the scene after pushing through the throng of onlookers. But before she could react, Zthulan knelt down and pronounced him dead.
Perception -> Natural 20(Booyah! Wait... why would I want to hear this?)
Zthulan spoke to Skitter, seemingly to reassure him, and Jeraylia moved to do so as well. So it was to her surprise when Zthulan continued in barely a whisper. Her bardic nature got the best of her, and she couldn't help but eavesdrop. She was a little confused when the Dragonborn switched to his native dialect, but she listened closely all the same. After Zthulan had finished, she looked over Skitter with a serious eye.
Insight -> 14(9+5)

[-Edit:this can happen after whatever Skitter and Zthulan do-]

With the relevations of Zthulans message as well as the strange response Skitter gave, Jeraylia put two and two together. She swept past the Dragonborn and grabbed Skitter by OK do Kobolds have an equivalent for an ear/earlobe? I'm going with one of the spikes on his head and assume it would be the same one of the small spikes on the top of his head and propelled him towards an alleyway. When they reached their, she dropped to her knees so she was eye level with him, put her hands on the Kobold's shoulders, looked him straight in the face and told him, "I need to know why you did it." Strangely enough, Jeraylia didn't look angry, just sombre.

I'll be gone most of today, so sorry in advance if this slows down anything. It probably will D:
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Broken, edit out the part about dragging him off and just have her walk up and join their conversation. Since he's already explained his actions then we don't have to have him repeat himself.

Edit: Do Rolf or Horizon know draconic? Wouldn't really be shocking if a wizard did. Would be kinda funny if Horizon walks up and starts wondering why he's the only one being left out.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:20 pm

I'm going on an 8-hour drive soon, so I don't know if I'll be able to fully engage until it's over. No, Rolf doesn't know draconic.

Rolf looked over the crowd and down at the dead merchant. He heard Zthural's proclamation, but then saw him whisper something into Skitter's ear. As Zthural walked off, Skitter quickly followed, whispering something in what Rolf believed was draconic. He didn't need to know the words to understand: Zthural had found out, but then decided to stay quiet. As Jeraylia approached Skitter, he tried to get her attention. When she was looking at him, he mouthed, "We need to talk." He then pointed at Zthural, indicating she should bring him along afterwards. He then turned away from the crowd and started walking away.

I'll send Zarhon a PM about Rolf's talk that he can post if I'm not available. Later!
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next