Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Destiny: Friend In Deed

+2
threezeus
Philadelphus
6 posters

Go down

Destiny: Friend In Deed Empty Destiny: Friend In Deed

Post  Philadelphus Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:46 pm

Preface: I feel like the original destines thread is getting a bit crowded, and it's hard to have discussion running on multiple destinies at once, so I decided the post the ones I came up with separately for easier reading.

I thought I remembered seeing some discussion about an Elemental Embodiment destiny, but couldn't find it when I looked. [Edit: Found it in the Boons thread.] I think all the ideas here are mine (except the ones I specifically give credit to), but if you thought of something and I accidentally plagiarized it please let me know.

Friend In Deed
The Loyalest of Friends and the Most Dependable of Ponies [Inspired by Prof. Charles Hoofington]
Your friends know that they can always count on you to lend a helping hoof. And the number of times you've helped your friends out has made you quite good at it. When rolling to assist an ally you get a +2 bonus to your roll and the bonus you provide is increased by +50%, i.e., unicorns and pegasi provide +3 instead of +2 while earth ponies provide +6.

Friendship is Magic [Inspired by LoganAura and AProcrastinatingWriter]
You continuing studies of the magic of friendship have led you to uncover some amazing things about helping others. You gain access to one of the following bonuses depending on what your Element of Harmony is.
  • Loyalty
    You may roll twice on checks made to assist an ally and take the higher result.

• Laughter
    When rolling to assist an ally you may flip a coin. If you win the flip and the roll, you provide an extra +3 on top of your normal assist bonus. If you lose both the roll and the flip, you may provide a +1 bonus in consolation.

• Generosity
    If you roll higher than your ally while making an assist roll using the same skill that your ally is using (e.g., you both roll Persuasion checks), you may swap numbers with them.

• Honesty
    You gain an automatic +3 bonus to checks made to assist an ally (stacks with the +2 from Loyalest of Friends for +5 total).

• Kindness
    Your assist bonus permanently increases by +1 (stacks with Loyalest of Friends, so +4 total for pegasi and unicorns and +7 for earth ponies).

• Magic
    You may choose a bonus from any of the five other Elements of Harmony to be your permanent bonus.

You're All My Very Best Friends
You and your friends have shared a lot together, both high points and lows. Assisting them is as natural as breathing to you, and you can do it almost without thinking. Whenever you spend a Magic Point to assist an ally with a skill check (including the effects of the Element of Generosity or talents like Yee-Haw! and The Stare) you may flip a coin. If you win the flip, you regain your Magic Point. If you lose the flip, you provide an extra +3 to your assist bonus.

Last edited by Philadelphus on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:25 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Slight modifications to the level 7 and 10 tiers.)
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Destiny: Friend In Deed Empty Re: Destiny: Friend In Deed

Post  threezeus Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Really well done. The only thing I might add is giving the level 10 effect a passive bonus as well, so even if you keep failing the coin flip you at least get something. Or maybe give both sides of the coin an effect! Like, if it's heads, you keep your magic point. If it's tails, you give an additional +5 or maybe +10 bonus to the roll you're helping.
threezeus
threezeus
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Wait nevermind about crediting me now that I see how you're crediting people Logan did a lot more to inspire you.

I like this, but it actually seems a little weak to me. Not sure how you could toughen it up, but there you go. I also hear Stairc isn't too fond of straight number-boosting destinies, so that's a bit of bad luck for you there...
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the feedback! I'd rather hear that it was too weak than that it was over powered. I re-wrote the level 10 tier so that you can choose a second bonus from the level 7 tier. Magic Points are really powerful, so I feel that a 50% chance to regain one every time you use one is already quite strong, and you already have a bit of a bonus to your rolls from the first one or two tiers. But it's also the only thing you get at that level, so I thought I'd let people branch out a bit. Though, it might be a bit boring – should we see about coming up with something even more amazing for the level 10 tier?

Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:51 am

I honestly don't know what is or isn't overpowered right now to be honest, as a lot of the more powerful destinies haven't been approved by Stairc yet (and that's something a lot of people seem to be forgetting...) but if you really want to boost the power of the Lvl 10 ability, you could always go with threezeus' idea of getting a bonus whether you succeed or fail the coin flip. That sounds pretty cool to me.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:21 am

You know, I'm liking the idea of a secondary bonus when losing the coin toss more and more. How about an additional +3 bonus to your assistance? A non-Kindness unicorn or pegasus would be providing +16 to assistance (+3 from level 4 bonus/basic assist bonus, +10 from Magic Point, and +3 for losing coin toss), while a Kindness earth pony would provide a whopping +20 (+6 from level 4 bonus/basic assist bonus, +1 for Kindness level 7 bonus, +10 for Magic Point, and +3 for losing coin toss). That would effectively drop the DC by two whole difficulty levels , but it is a level 10 destiny after all.

The key point of this destiny is that it's only for assisting others: a pony with this destiny wouldn't be able to get those crazy modifiers to their own skill, merely the +10 from a Magic Point (and they wouldn't get a chance to regain it). It's the perfect destiny for those who just love lending a helping hoof.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:13 pm

I have mixed feeling about this one. On one hand, it really fits the flavour and idea of Magic is Friendship but on the other hand, this destiny is useless when you're alone and 50% of everything you'll do during a session can be summed up by "I roll to assist"

Also, unless your score is significantly higher than the rest, expect this exchange a lot:
"I want to roll X to see..."
"No no, I'll roll and you assist me. That will yield better results."

You'll be the Super Best Friend Forever but this destiny almost guarantees you'll play second fiddle to make someone come out on top.

In short: I like the idea but the ramifications of it aren't in the best interest of the one taking the destiny. All give and no take is bad...
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:41 pm

Friendship is a two way street... Maybe thinking a bit on that when reviewing this Destiny could help make it all the more awesome? I mean I get that on paper you want this to help you be able to help the party out. But it should also give you power when you work on your own from the fact that you've got friends...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down