Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monsters by Mudcrab

2 posters

Go down

Monsters by Mudcrab Empty Monsters by Mudcrab

Post  Level 8 Mudcrab Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:22 am

I've been Gm'ing my own Pony Tales campaign and, naturally, I've come up with some of my own monsters to use. They worked quite well within the session, so I'll post them up here for everyone else to have a look at. Critique is welcome and appreciated.

For my first batch of monsters - Diamond Dogs. I've already seen some Diamond Dogs around, but here's my own take on them.

Diamond Dogs
Spoiler:

Last edited by Level 8 Mudcrab on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Level 8 Mudcrab
Level 8 Mudcrab
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Monsters by Mudcrab Empty Re: Monsters by Mudcrab

Post  tygerburningbright Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:32 pm

right grunt in good.

pit trap is a bit overpowered for a -3

brute is good but its trait makes little sense with the current build

mutt is a bit strong for a minon

alpha is weak for a boss level creature (you only find one in a pack) a +2 to saving rolls is not that impressive and better fitts the leader/medic archtypes. resist 3 is a bit high. Mighty Slam I'd go with 2D8.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Level 8 Mudcrab Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:10 pm

The idea behind the brutes is that they're meant to quickly get right up in the player's faces. They're a large target, and want to take a bunch of damage so that they can trigger the secondary effect on their -PiP attack. The trait is meant to encourage players to attack the brute, the idea being you aren't going to be focusing on the smaller guys off to the side when there's a huge angry dog right in front of you.

The Alpha? Yeah, he is pretty weak on his own. That was an intentional choice for how I ran his battle. The players challenged the Alpha to combat, but upon being heavily wounded, he'd retreat and throw a few other dogs from his pack at the players, giving him time to heal before jumping back in the fight, this time with some additional allies by his side. He was never meant to stand alone as a proper solo against the players.
Level 8 Mudcrab
Level 8 Mudcrab
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down