Clarification for Meditate please...

Go down

Clarification for Meditate please...

Post  Snagging Roots on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:06 am

My most recent character has a very nice set of combat talents, enabling around 4d12 damage with a net loss of 2 pips within 4 turns. I like this, however I sometimes mess up the order and try to use Meditate on the same turn as the attack that I want to use the bonus on (compliments of Gather Energy). However... My DM is always happy to point out the wording of the talent:

[-1] Meditate [Created by LoganAura]
For your next two turns, you deal +1d12 damage on attacks that have two or fewer targets.

He has, on multiple occasions, shut down my combo on this technicality and I then end up wasting PiPs and turns.

What I need to know is this: Is this an intended behavior of this talent, or is the wording just being taken too literally? And, if the wording is being taken too literally: how should/will it be reworded to reflect this? I have an idea for that:
"Until the end your second turn after this talent is used, ..."

I appreciate your time.
Snagging Roots
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarification for Meditate please...

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:19 am

Snagging Roots wrote:My most recent character has a very nice set of combat talents, enabling around 4d12 damage with a net loss of 2 pips within 4 turns. I like this, however I sometimes mess up the order and try to use Meditate on the same turn as the attack that I want to use the bonus on (compliments of Gather Energy). However... My DM is always happy to point out the wording of the talent:

[-1] Meditate [Created by LoganAura]
For your next two turns, you deal +1d12 damage on attacks that have two or fewer targets.

He has, on multiple occasions, shut down my combo on this technicality and I then end up wasting PiPs and turns.

What I need to know is this: Is this an intended behavior of this talent, or is the wording just being taken too literally? And, if the wording is being taken too literally: how should/will it be reworded to reflect this? I have an idea for that:
"Until the end your second turn after this talent is used, ..."

I appreciate your time.

Middle of DMing, but basically it's an unintended consequence of the wording. Basically, it's supposed to mean, "Until the end of your turn after your next one..." Which is clunky as heck - so it's hard to figure out a good way to word it.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:11 am

For the next two ROUNDS maybe would be a better way of phrasing?

Turn: a standard action
Round: A full cycle of combat, meaning EVERY fighter does a technique.

Saint Trotez: Where Snipe is paranoid and snarked at Snarl.
Satisfying Values (Hiatus): Mic is chasing after a Glitch.

Retired or inactive Games:
Too many to count.
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Well, it could be for the next 2 attacks, kind of like Inspiring Melody. Of course that takes away some of the fun you could get with comboing it.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum