Luna's Ranger

Go down

Luna's Ranger

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 pm

I NEED TO FIND SOMETHING BEGINNING WITH L TO REPLACE RANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luna's Ranger
The ancient Ranger order has been reborn under Luna's guidance and you have been chosen to become a member! Master's of stealth and diplomacy. The rangers are the elite non-combat, non-magic 'problem solvers' of Equestira. They seem to have super-natural abilities. Able to predict things before they happen, know just how to sway people to their side and turn invisible at will and chill people to their very souls... but we all know that is a myth... right?

LV4: Up to three times a day, with a 10 minutes preparation time. You coat starts blending it with your surroundings for an hour, giving you a +7 bonus to stealth. In addition, at will. You can emit an aura of cold that can put out fires in a 10ft radius from yourself.

LV7: Once per day, with 20 minutes of preparation time, you can now become invisible for an hour, granting you a +12 bonus to stealth (does not stack with the previous bonus). However, items that you pick up and carry during this time don't automatically become invisible unless you take two minutes of concentration. Once per day, the aura of cold becomes a lot colder. If people spend more then 10 minutes in the aura, they contact hypothermia.

LV10: You no longer make any sound with hoof-steps. Giving you a permanent +3 stealth bonus. In addition, once per day if you are standing in a shadow, you can teleport to any shadow you can see. Finally, once per day you can flash-freeze anyone in a ten-foot radius of yourself. Forcing them to make an Endurance roll with a DC of at least 30 to live.

Last edited by Fury of the Tempest on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Luna's Ranger

Post  Ranubis on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:07 pm

How about Luna's Lancers?
Ranubis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:20 pm

... That could be good for a different destiny but I don't think it quite fits this...
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Shadow on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 pm

Order of the New Moon, perhaps? See, it has multiple meanings because the phrase "new moon" means when the moon isn't visible from earth, which fits with the whole stealth/shadow theme, and since the order is being re-established after Luna's return (and both the Order and the Princess are trying to re-integrate into modern Equestria), in a way, they're departing from the "old" image of the Moon in favor of a "new" one...

...Yeah, I'll shut up now.
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:36 am

Luminaries
Lost <insert noun>
Lightless
Liveblack, Livenight, Liveshadows
Lygos
Labryinthine
Late <insert noun>
Luster <insert noun>
Lacunas

Doesn't help that more L-words refer to light than darkness or invisibility.
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:59 am

Order of a New Moon would be good... but well I've got Champion of Celestia so I kinda want something beginning with L for Luna
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Inferno1114 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:26 pm

Luna's Legionnaire.

Other than the name though, it needs a lot of work. Instant successes to a Skill is overpowered, no matter what level you are. Also, you say you will finish flavor text later and only concern yourself with what the Destiny does, but part of the necessary requirement is how many times you can use the Destiny. Something as powerful as your level 10 which is essentially teleport, would require a magic point to use, and if not that, should be limited to a once a day talent since no range is specified other than needing shadows, and the same goes for the invisibility and the cold. It seems you are trying to put 3 separate things into the same Destiny. Shadows, Cold, and a horse-sense buff. The horse sense itself seems unnecessary, and if anything you would get a minor stealth buff that does not continue to stack at each level ,but maybe a flat amount at one of them, or an increase to it while using the level 7. Keep these aspects in mind while making your destiny. We want them to be cool and all, but throwing too many different things into one makes it nothing but an overpowered mess. I say head back to the drawing board on this and your Celestia one, keeping these things in minds, and work to make them both even better.
Inferno1114
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:52 pm

I probably did go a bit overboard, but I don't believe they need a complete overhaul. Luna's Rangers was original thought off as an opposite for Champion's of Celestia, about darkness/coldness instead of light/heat. However, when I called them Ranger's I decided to make them a bit more like the Ranger's found in Ranger's apprentice, hence the Horse-Sense buff. Admittedly, I can and I think I will remove it and I'll put a limit on quite a lot of things...

Edited now, through I fear that the LV10 might now be underpowered.
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Inferno1114 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 pm

Well that was the other reason I was saying to revise them both. Power of light is cool, and power of darkness is cool, but trying to incorporate Cold into darkness just seems a little out of place just because the sun provides light and heat. Now, as for the level 10, yes, it is underpowered now, but thats a good place to start working on it. Maybe for the cost of a magic Point, you gain the ability to shadow walk for 5 minutes. Letting you evaporate into a shadow after 10 seconds, and reemerge from another one. This why, its more useful than teleport since the range can be further and since you are evaporating into the shadow you currently are in, its a little like a phase step once you sink into the darkness. The mechanics would need to be worked on but its a possibility. I know you want the cold because its the opposite of Celestia, but I really think its better left to an alternate Destiny, maybe one that gives the user control over the elements. It would give the player options, of the basic ones, and might possibly have the option to gain more control or some sort of avatar state with master control of them all, but it seems like it could use several ideas you have made such as your storm rider one being manipulating air. Again, keep in mind none of these destinies should be able to carry over to combat other than flavor texting attacks to relate to the destiny abilities.
Inferno1114
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Hmmm... that level 10 suggestion could probably work a lot better...

And well, its not just being the opposite of the Celestia one (which needs to be reworked) but also representing the night... and the night isn't just about darkness.
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Inferno1114 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:02 pm

yes, the night represents not only darkness, but also the unknowing. In the darkness, you have no idea what is awaiting you when you can't see it. It can be nothing at all, or it may be your worst Nightmare. So maybe instead of a freeze spell thrown in, maybe an intimidation or fear placed on those when you are disappearing into the shadows, one that lowers their braveness or ability to see you. The absence of light is not necessarily related to the absence of heat.
Inferno1114
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:10 pm

The absence of light is not necessarily related to the absence of heat.

Correct.

The absence of the SUN is releated to the absence of heat.

I mean, take the desert.

During the day, they are as hot as hell.

During the night, they are as cold as hell.
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down