Pinkie's Brew, full effects...

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: Pinkie's Brew, full effects...

Post  Videocrazy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:56 am

Are those Level 1 DC's? Because my understanding of skill checks is that things get comparatively easier the higher level you are.
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:02 am

I must admit, if that's true I missed it in the rules.

You don't have to cite it exactly, you can just paraphrase it, but where in the rules does it say that?
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:50 am

It doesn't specifically say it in the player's handbook that I can remember, though it might mention it in the DM's guide. In general though, the tasks scale to your level. Climbing a local hill might be a hard DC at level 1. Climbing Mt. Everest might be a hard DC at level 10.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:17 am

Well, I figured you wouldn't really have to change the DC as you level up on account of players finding a way to boost their stats through either items, utility talents, or destinies as they level up. And this system doesn't scale quite as steeply as 4E does with it's +1 to everything every 2 levels.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:25 pm

SilentBelle wrote:Well, I figured you wouldn't really have to change the DC as you level up on account of players finding a way to boost their stats through either items, utility talents, or destinies as they level up. And this system doesn't scale quite as steeply as 4E does with it's +1 to everything every 2 levels.

Scaling is done in reverse here. Climbing a very steep hill at level 1 might be DC 25. Climbing mt everest at level 10 might be dc 25... And that same steep hill might be DC 5.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
SilentBelle wrote:Well, I figured you wouldn't really have to change the DC as you level up on account of players finding a way to boost their stats through either items, utility talents, or destinies as they level up. And this system doesn't scale quite as steeply as 4E does with it's +1 to everything every 2 levels.

Scaling is done in reverse here. Climbing a very steep hill at level 1 might be DC 25. Climbing mt everest at level 10 might be dc 25... And that same steep hill might be DC 5.

I just wonder if that sort of scaling is entirely necessary or if it's supposed to be at the discretion of the DM. As a DM, I probably wouldn't scale the DCs like that unless the players had spent a large portion of the campaign climbing mountains and such, in which case I'd give them a bonus title as a reward that gives them a bonus to a specific checks for mountain climbing, rather than tweaking the DC for their level. Where as if the players hadn't climbed any mountains in the previous 9 levels, I'd keep it the same DC as if they were level 1 and it would be up to them to buy the right equipment to make it up. Just because they are a higher level I don't think that the tasks should get easier. But that's just my take on it.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:40 pm

As a DM, you can handle these things however you like. Still, it's a slick way to make it clear that what's hard for a level 1 character should be easy for a level 10 character and doesn't require any bookkeeping at all.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:As a DM, you can handle these things however you like. Still, it's a slick way to make it clear that what's hard for a level 1 character should be easy for a level 10 character and doesn't require any bookkeeping at all.

That's true, I guess, it certainly helps especially for people that haven't DMed for years and years. Well in any case, it's all about making sure that the players appreciate the challenges before them. I find that my players love getting nifty, little, permanent, specific skill bonuses as rewards for their actions. Such as:
'Savior of Ponyville' - Any time you make a Persuasion check in the boundaries of Ponyville you receive a +5 bonus.
At the end of the campaign, they scroll through their list of titles and smile at the memories.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4