The Rise of the Windigo King

Page 1 of 37 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  Dr Blight on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:30 am

Deep in the Deepgreen Jungle, grounds which had not felt the weight of pony hooves in hundreds of years were once more bustling with activity. The expedition had burst through the deep foliage of the jungle to find themselves at what was once the main gates to an ancient community. Though most of the structures had been reduced to dust or toppled stone, what had once been the center point of the old village still stood. A large stone pyramid built in a style not unlike the ancient Maran ponies stood tall, seemingly untouched by time save for vines which has begun to creep up its sides.

Tents had been set up immediately, and now young scholars swarmed over the site like ants, devouring any information they could heedless of the rain as they examined carvings on the walls or the writing inside the shrine atop the pyramid. Dreams of finding and solving some great ancient mystery and becoming famous dancing in their heads.

Inside the largest of the tents were a baby dragon and a hippogriff mare, two of the three leaders of the expedition, pouring over notes and photos attempting to translate the carvings on the wall within the shrine. The third, a large boisterous Minotaur, was currently engaged in a fist fight with a gorilla that seemed to appear from nowhere and attack for no reason. The fact that not a single pony nearby even batted an eye at the sight stood as testament to how common an occurrence this was. The rain fell noisily on the tent, nearly drowning out Professor Adelinde as she gushed about the legend the carvings told, it did nothing to mask the whisper that Professor Ragnarok heard from the shrine as if it had been by her very ear.

“Winter comes, take heed...!”

-One Week Later-

From the beaches to the very gates of Fort Storm, that night Port Summer danced under the moonlight and the town was bathed in an orange glow. When word had gotten back to the town about what the expedition had found, the mayor sprang into action. A celebration was arranged to welcome them back because as the mayor knew well, parties meant happy paying tourists! And so it was that a parade was arranged, the route was lit by torches as poniess danced with blazing batons just ahead of the float that carried the three professors who had made the discovery, guiding them along the route the mayor had chosen for them.

Professor Adelinde, a dark green baby dragon with white spines who was only beginning to take on the taller, lankier shape of a teen dragon, hissed through a fake smile as she waved at the crowds below. “This is ridiculous.” She turned in her seat and looked behind their float again at the wagons that carried the relics they had brought back for the museum and the guards that flanked them. “Now every thief in town knows there’s a slow moving convoy full of priceless ancient artifacts winding its way through the streets!” She pinched her brow, trying to stem a growing headache noticing Professor Stone Force, an off-white furred minotaur with orange hair and a patch of fur on his chest in the shape of Hosstralia once again wrestling with a wild animal, a jaguar this time. "At least it's nearly over." She sighed, turning back around in her seat beside Professor Ragnarok as the parade passed the concert hall, already nearing the end of its winding route to the museum.

Ponies danced all throughout the town as music carried in the wind. Venders could be heard yelling through the crowds, hawking their wares. Hearing steps behind them as Land Lobber made is way up the road from the beaches, a few ponies along the edge of the crowds turned to see him and ran off with their tails between their legs. Moments later a loud, raspy laughing crowed out. “Ye look like yoo’ve been pulled throogh a reef by yer tail lad!” An older griffon with a dark grey coat and white head feathers sat off to the side away from the crowds, drinking from a bottle of something that you’d guess could peel paint from the smell. The old griffon was covered in scars, his left wing and right claw obviously prosthetics.

Stepping off the cruise ship into the warm night air of Port Summer you find yourselves almost immediately engulfed in a wave of light, sound, and ponies. Swept up in the herd, music, and dancing you’re already past the concert hall when the parade begins to make a turn giving you a chance to escape to the sidelines. Halynn, Dr. Death Ray, and Healing Torch emerge from the wave of bodies just beside the museum, getting your first good look at the event now that you’re no longer lost in a sea of dancing. Noticing the parade seems to be in favor of the three atop the lead float: a hippogriff, a baby dragon, and a minotaur climbing up the side of the float to join them with a dead jaguar slung over his shoulders. Others from the cruise begin to emerge from the crowd alongside you as they get the chance, including a particularly panicked looking female griffon with a pale purple body and white feathers you'd seen a few times aboard the ship shadowed by a unicorn butler.


((let the games begin! As a bonus, I made a minimap of sorts. To give you a more visual aid as to where I've put you relative to each other.))
minimap:


Last edited by Dr Blight on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added colors to spoken lines)
avatar
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1175
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 27

View user profile http://askdarknebula.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  SubjectZ on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:21 am

Healing Torch says: "Well, this whole... party... thing they have going on here certainly looks nice, but I don't have time for this." I have to start looking for possible leads to the Crown of the Windigo King, if I have any chance at all of bringing my father back.
avatar
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 644
Join date : 2012-10-24
Age : 18
Location : Who wants to know?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:12 pm

The crowds, the noise, the parade! It had been too long since she had allowed herself a vacation, trop longtemps; she had forgotten how glorious it felt not to have to worry about anything and just enjoy the atmosphere. She'd probably join in the dance later, but for now, the uncostumed zebra just felt like relaxing as the sounds washed over her.

Subjectz wrote:Healing Torch says: "Well, this whole... party... thing they have going on here certainly looks nice, but I don't have time for this." I have to start looking for possible leads to the Crown of the Windigo King, if I have any chance at all of bringing my father back.

Drat. Nopony ever said that if there wasn't a problem of some sort. Halynn sighed quietly.

But then again, perhaps he was simply studious, un chercheur dédié, and felt the party was a waste of time when he could be studying. She calmed herself. She had been on edge for too long; this vacation was definitely overdue, depuis longtemps.

But once more she was forced out of relaxation by the panicked face of a purple griffon that she vaguely recalled seeing around the ship once or twice.

Sigh. De retour au travail, she supposed. She started making her way through, pushing her way past those who didn't let her pass.

"Excusez-moi, Miss Griffon? Miss Purple Griffon?" she calls. "I couldn't help but notice your distress; is there perhaps a problem I can help you with, quelque chose que je peux faire?"

Prench Translations:
trop longtemps = far too long

un chercheur dédié = a dedicated scholar

depuis longtemps = long overdue

De retour au travail = Back to work

Excusez-moi = Excuse me

quelque chose que je peux faire? = something I can do?
avatar
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Gender : Male
Posts : 2158
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 22
Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  SubjectZ on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 pm

[OOC]: Did we meet on the ship or something? Me, Halynn and Dr. Death Ray? Just making sure.
avatar
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 644
Join date : 2012-10-24
Age : 18
Location : Who wants to know?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Subjectz wrote:[OOC]: Did we meet on the ship or something? Me, Halynn and Dr. Death Ray? Just making sure.

I'm going under the assumption that we don't know each other by name, but have seen each other in passing.
avatar
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Gender : Male
Posts : 2158
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 22
Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  SubjectZ on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm

[OOC]: Good idea.
[Edit OOC]: Also, Do I need to roll streetwise to get to the museum?

Healing Torch turned towards the purple griffon, looking for a moment as if he wanted to go with the zebra he'd seen on the ship and ask what the problem was, but decided against it and instead called out "Good luck, miss!" He then began to trot towards the Ironhoof Museum at a brisk pace, confident it would have some kind of clue as to the whereabouts of the Crown.
avatar
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 644
Join date : 2012-10-24
Age : 18
Location : Who wants to know?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  RavenscroftRaven on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Land Lobber didn't really care about the dodging crowd. He lived as a pirate, and cultivated an intimidating experience for those he robbed, to reduce the risk of conflict: Of course less hardy quadrupeds would be a bit fearful, he could no longer turn off that feeling he gave off than he could be less bullish. The minotaur that wasn't the center of attention turned to his interrogator, and gave a deep, throaty chuckle, looking at his somewhat waterlogged appearance.

"That I be. That I be. Sometimes yea never know where you'll wash up." Artificial limbs? Meant it was a decently technological place, meant boats were probably for sale somewhere, if he could find the money to buy a new one. Last one took a lot of his mining savings.

The really best thing about being bipedal was he towered over all the little folk. He could easily see the parade float that passed by.

"So, what be this, then? Some spring festival." He held up a finger to point at the parade, considering. "And yea think they've got 'em karny foods then? I tell yea, seaweed and saltwater are all yea can inhale, but it t'ain't filling me none." Seemed better to question this odd avian than the little ponies, someone who didn't want to bolt would always give better answers.
avatar
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Posts : 1521
Join date : 2012-10-09

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  tygerburningbright on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Ragnarok turns her head towards Adelinde and begins to whisper.
"There is nothing to worry about only a ignoramus would attack us. We are surrounded by guards and Stoney just finished off that poor cute little cat in front of the entire crowd. Besides at least half of the artifacts are probably cursed in some strange way. " She finishes with a smile.
avatar
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 3141
Join date : 2012-07-19
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  SubjectZ on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Healing Torch spotted the entrance to the museum, and in front of it a large blue earth pony standing over a podium, looking as though he was preparing to give a speech. He was being guarded by, was that FIVE pegasus guards? Eh, I might as well listen to this guy before heading in. If he's important enough to have 5 royal guards in front of him, this must be an important announcement. Who knows, it might just be about the Crown. Healing Torch stopped at a comfortable distance from the earth pony, about 15 hoof-paces away. Alright, let's see what this guy has to say.
avatar
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 644
Join date : 2012-10-24
Age : 18
Location : Who wants to know?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  XandZero2 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:47 am

As Dr. Death Ray was jostled back and forth by the herd of partying ponies, GREGG flew up above, scouting the area but staying relatively close to his creator. The light from the streetlamps reflected off his small, golden orb of a body and the black 'eye' that marked his center as he exclaimed - "It appears to be a parade of some sort, doctor!"

"Seems more like a... a mosh pit... to me!" Dr. D muttered as he dodged yet another prancer that wasn't looking where he was going - only to get smacked in the back by another over-eager party-goer and getting nearly stomped on by another group rushing to the street corner. It was times like these that Dr. D had a Freeze Ray - but if he used that here, it might attract a little too much unwanted attention from local law enforcement.

Well, there was always the Temporal Displacement Matrix...

"Are we having 'fun' yet doctor?" GREGG called down below.

"No... No I don't... I don't think so."

So far, Dr. Death Ray had been having anything but fun. Every couple he'd seen on the cruise had reminded him of Major Mane, Major Mane and his Sweet Dreams... Just the thought of those two together... Trotting along... holding hooves... eating frozen yogurt... nuzzling...

Blah... Dr. D didn't usually get sea sick, but he'd been wanting to blow chunks quite a few times on that particular boat ride...

And then there was the Dark Horse...

When the doctor hadn't been pining away or feeling an overwhelming urge to puke, he'd been working on his latest creation - or updating his blog - but his latest creation came first, and that horrible fiasco at Town Hall the week before had left a bitter taste in Dr. Death Ray's mouth (and it wasn't from the puke either). When it came time to unveil his beautiful Dark Horse, to show the League just what he could do, to prove his genius to the world! - He'd come to find out... that the Dark Horse's charge up time was... incredibly slow - like dial-up...

It had taken a bit of tinkering too, but now the doctor finally knew what had gone wrong -

The Duracells' just weren't cuttin' it!

The Dark Horse needed something with more juice! More energy! A power source that could pump a continuous charge into the robot's power cells.

-But the problem didn't stop there either.

If Dr. D had only needed a more powerful battery, he could have stolen one - but he didn't just need a more powerful battery... he needed the most powerful battery... one with limitless energy. During the cruise, he'd realized that even if the Dark Horse was fully charged, it wouldn't be able to fight for more than a few minutes. It burned through energy at an obscene rate - man, if only the doctor's exercise routine were that effective - and anything short of an unlimited fuel supply would see the Dark Horse shutting down again before it even got to spread some real anarchy!

Well, here he was... Dr. Death Ray... getting trampled under hoof... and was he having fun?

No sir.

It didn't help his mood any that he'd had to switch out his red and black villain duds for what he liked to call, "conformist clothes" - his normal 'day' clothing he used to blend in with the conformist herd. He was trying to keep a low profile though, and his red coat and black boots were really, really cool - but he was on vacation (as GREGG kept reminding him), and again - he didn't want to attract too much unwanted attention. That's why Dr. D'd also left the Dark Horse back in the ships hold. He'd been anxious about leaving his Ponynator-Class Robot behind, but with a crowd like this, it would've attracted way too many curious looks, even if it was in a crate. He planned on coming back later for his baby, but for now he was short one Dark Horse...

"I have never seen quite this many ponies in one place before, sir. This is 'exciting'... is it not?"

"Yeah..." the doctor muttered half-heartedly. He raised a hoof and spun it in a slow circle, "Wooh hooh..."

"What should we do now sir?"

Dr. Death Ray shrugged. "Beats me GREGG... I don't see anything worth stealing..."

"But aren't we on vacation, sir?"

"Yeah, yeah... Don't remind me..."

Dr. Death Ray glanced around when he heard somepony say something about a fair. "What was that? Didn't sound much like common..."

"Do you mean: quelque chose que je peux faire sir?" GREGG pipes up, "My data files indicate it's Prench. Translation - something I can do? It appears that black and white striped quadruped over there - racial designation: Zebra - is trying to aid that purple-feathered avian - racial designation: Griffon... Perhaps we should assist?"

Dr. Death Ray grunted and looked in the direction GREGG was indicating with his flight pattern. He remembered that Griffon from the ship, and she looked like the rich type. Probably a corrupt bureaucrat - or an actor - or both - gah! - Definitely not the type he'd ever consider helping, but... not like he had anything better to do right now... If nothing else, maybe he'd find an opportunity to do some evil. He walked up and tried listening in on the Zebra and Griffon's conversation while blending into the crowd.

((I don't think I'll need a Stealth Check for that, but just in case - 1d20 +10 = 23

Also, WoMF, you just keep on adding the translations to your posts - I'll rely on them for GREGG's translations))
avatar
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1219
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 29
Location : Baton Rouge, LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  Dr Blight on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:45 pm

The purple griffon in question didn't seem to hear Halynn at first. A claw over her heart and the other wrapped around the strap of a child's school bag. As her breathing began to calm and her feathers slowly drop back to a more normal appearance she finally noticed that she was being spoken to and her head turned suddenly to face her, still looking frightened but considerably less so than before. "Prench? Oh, my Prench is terrible. ...Toutes mes excuses, je ne t'avais pas vu. Nous sommes bien, aren't we Talo-..." The pale purple griffon went silent as she held up the small bag in her claw to eye level and stared at it dumbly for a moment. Her eyes dilated as she noticed for the first time its owner was missing and she began to pace about the edge of the crowd calling out, though her calls were mostly drowned out by the general noise of the celebration. "Talon? Talon! Where are you Talon?!"

The old griffon shook his head with a chuckle. "Naw, this is just one of the mayors schemes to wring a few extra bits fae the tourists. Some book-types found some old rocks and treasure out in the wilds. But aye there be food a plenty lad. Ten paces any direction and ye'll find someone naw doubt! Selling sweets or meats or what have ye!" The old griffon gave another raspy laugh at the mention of seaweed. "A suppose A be lucky A can fish for ma meals!"

"If there's one thing I've learned traveling with Professor Force, it's that fools and idiots abound no matter where you go." Adelinde sighed as Stone Force finished climbing and took his seat beside them, the jaguar around his shoulder like a grim boa. "I love you too you fork-tongued temptress!" The minotaur ignored Adelinde's outrage at being called a temptress as he turned to Ragnarok and whispered conspiratorially. "her buttons are so easy to push." straightening his back, he turned in his seat to look at the wagons containing the artifacts before sulking somewhat. "A rather sorry excuse for a curse I say. A few interns hearing voices and dreaming of some mare giving warnings! Now the pharaoh's tomb! That was a curse! Whole town under siege for ten nights by sand creatures! Good times!" he laughed loudly, but cut it short and looked around. "Oh! It appears we've reached the end of the line!" Professor Adelinde looked over the side again and frowned slightly. "A speech. Of course! There's always a speech with Mayor Decree..."

A loud feedback tone played out across the town as the mayor's microphone turned on "..oh! So it IS on! Ahem! We are gathered here today in celebration of Professors Ragnarok, Adelinde, and Force's amazing find in the depths of the Deepgreen! The discovery of the ruins will no doubt go a long way towards revealing the mysteries of our beloved island and its history! And their generous donation of their finds to the Ironhoof Memorial Museum for future generations and scholars to enjoy is an act we will be eternally grateful for!" As he spoke, workers from the museum began to unload the wagons. As the unloaded one of the larger pieces, a statue of an alicorn wearing a golden necklace set with orange jewels that seem to shine under their own light, a feeling of unease seems to radiate from it.

"They're here! Please run!"

A few ponies in the crowd look around, seemingly hearing the phantom voice as well, but most don't react at all as the Mayor continues his speech.
((translation:))
Spoiler:
"Toutes mes excuses, je ne t'avais pas vu. Nous sommes bien,..." is supposed to equal "My apologies, I hadn't seen you there. We are fine,..." but I used a translator so who knows.
((and yes, you all heard the voice))
avatar
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1175
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 27

View user profile http://askdarknebula.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  SubjectZ on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Healing Torch heard the voice cry out to run, and unlike the rest of the crowd, listened. A lifetime of books and legends had told him to give more credence to warnings, and, still keeping one eye on the podium and the mayor, and one eye on his surroundings, he slowly began to back away, while still listening to the speech, and for any more warnings to try and track the source. He also kept a bead on that statue, something seemed... off... about it.
Perception Check:
I rolled:
8 + (6) = 14
To notice anything odd about the statue.


Last edited by Subjectz on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 644
Join date : 2012-10-24
Age : 18
Location : Who wants to know?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Dr Blight wrote: The purple griffon in question didn't seem to hear Halynn at first. A claw over her heart and the other wrapped around the strap of a child's school bag. As her breathing began to calm and her feathers slowly drop back to a more normal appearance she finally noticed that she was being spoken to and her head turned suddenly to face her, still looking frightened but considerably less so than before. "Prench? Oh, my Prench is terrible. ...Toutes mes excuses, je ne t'avais pas vu. Nous sommes bien, aren't we Talo-..." The pale purple griffon went silent as she held up the small bag in her claw to eye level and stared at it dumbly for a moment. Her eyes dilated as she noticed for the first time its owner was missing and she began to pace about the edge of the crowd calling out, though her calls were mostly drowned out by the general noise of the celebration. "Talon? Talon! Where are you Talon?!"

"It would seem that you and I have very different definitions of 'fine', n'est-ce pas?" Halynn mutters sarcastically. In a louder voice, she offers, "Perhaps if you described this 'Talon', I could help you search for him, si elle est vraiment si urgent?"

Dr Blight wrote:As he spoke, workers from the museum began to unload the wagons. As the unloaded one of the larger pieces, a statue of an alicorn wearing a golden necklace set with orange jewels that seem to shine under their own light, a feeling of unease seems to radiate from it.

"They're here! Please run!"

A few ponies in the crowd look around, seemingly hearing the phantom voice as well, but most don't react at all as the Mayor continues his speech.[hr

Halynn's head jerked as se heard the voice. "On the other hoof, perhaps there are bigger problems... I will get back to you about Talon, but I would advise getting out of here now, dès que possible." She began shoving her way towards the direction she thought the voice had come from. "Anneau, rechercher où venait la voix et toute information sur tout ce qui pourrait être dangereux."

Perception Check:
rolled a 9, +7 = 16

Rerolling using Bridle Gossip.

rolled a 4... yeah, I'll take the first roll.

Prench Translations:
...would it not?

...if it's really that urgent?

...as soon as possible.

Ring, scan for where the voice came from and any information on anything that could be dangerous.
avatar
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Gender : Male
Posts : 2158
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 22
Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  tygerburningbright on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:42 pm

There is that voice again. Could it be real? In a whisper to Professor Force "Could you please not monopolize the excitement if anything comes up? This speach is worse than one of mine and I am getting bored to death."

Persuasion (if needed):

Roll(1d20)+6:
14,+6
Total:20
avatar
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 3141
Join date : 2012-07-19
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  XandZero2 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:53 pm

Oh joy... Dr. Death Ray had thought when he'd realized what was going on with the Griffon. A lost kid... it had to be a kid, didn't it? That Griffon might be part of the problem with society, but a kid was a kid was a kid... Unless that kid was running away from home to escape conformism... If that were the case, maybe the Doctor could take the kid on as a junior assistant? After all, Sweet Dreams liked kids, didn't she?

-And with Dr. D's luck, she was already planning to have sixteen of 'em with Major Mane...

The Doctor winced at the thought. Why did his mind always have to do this to him?

"Balls."

"What's that sir?"

Let's help find the kid already - was what the Doctor was going to say, and he would've said it too, even adding - Let's just hope the League isn't watching... But at that moment, he'd heard the mayor over the loud speakers, followed by a strange voice in his head.

"They're here? Please... run?"

Dr. Death Ray raised an eyebrow and looked up at his robotic companion. "GREGG, you hear that?"

"Hear what, sir?"

"That's... what I thought... Well," Dr. D added as an afterthought, "at least it said please..." The Doctor was wearing a light grey hoody (yes, even in the tropical weather, he wears a hoody), and he reached into one of its pockets and pulled out his Temporal Displacement Matrix - a small contraption that looked something like a datapad with buttons for inputting directional commands.

GREGG zoomed up beside the Doctor and focused his black camera eye on the TDM. "What are you trying to do Doctor?"

Dr. D flipped over the TDM and pulled off the back panel, then took out his taser and started fiddling around with the wiring. "If I play around with the wiring here just a bit... maybe instead of teleporting... the Matrix can track instead... It's made to simulate a magical effect after all... so it already has a kind of affinity for magic... in a sense... sort of... maybe..." Dr. D paused. "Okay, so probably not - but, if we're lucky, maybe I can McGuiver a telepathy tracking device out of this thing... I mean, teleport... telepath... they both have 'telep' in their names... how much different can they be? ...And if we can track the polite little voice in my head... then perhaps I can prove that... that... thing between Major Mane and Sweet Dreams..." Dr. D sighed, "Hasn't made me lose my mind completely..."

((1d20+18 in Mechanics = 35 total... Not bad.

BTW - Ya know, this makes me realize that I really need to make a Sonic Screwdriver one of these days. Something like that could really come in handy...))
avatar
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1219
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 29
Location : Baton Rouge, LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  RavenscroftRaven on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Land Lobber nodded in thanks to the griffon. "Yea, yea be at that." And gives a laugh as he takes a step closer to the parade, in pursuit of food.

However, a telepathic threat interrupts his lumbering walk. There were telepathic ponies, he knew that, but a threat was a threat, and a sailor is nothing if not superstitious. Still, running would cause a panic. He raided enough boats in his day to know that making ponies run only made them easy to pick off. Very few seemed to be reacting to it, but if this was related to stolen artifacts business, well, those get possessed easily. He turned and began a brisk walk away from the city centre, or whatever it would be where the mayor was giving the speech. Either way, there was probably plenty of places he could buy food on the outskirts of town a bit farther away.
avatar
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Posts : 1521
Join date : 2012-10-09

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  XandZero2 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:57 pm

((BTW - Something I forgot to mention))

As GREGG watched the Doctor work, it occurred to him to ask, "What about the Griffon's missing offspring, sir? Blood pressure rising, increased heart-rate, perspiration. Readings indicate she was quite 'panicked.'"

"Yeah, yeah... Uh..." Dr. D glanced up, then turned back to his work, shaking his head, "We'll help find the kid..." He grumbled, "after... after I figure where that voice is coming from..."

Some sparks flashed from the back of the TDM, then Dr. Death Ray flipped it back around and glanced at the screen. It started to flicker and he smacked the side of it a few times for good measure. Then he rubbed his eyes and looked at it again.

He looked up into the night sky.

"Uh... GREGG? ...You couldn't maybe... maybe give me a scan of that thing... could ya?"

As he spoke, Dr. D pointed into the sky, GREGG looking up and following his gaze.

"I can try sir..."

((GREGG's gonna attempt an Arcana check on this thing I'm seeing, although I'll assume this check might not go into effect until after the party's had another GM post

1d20+11... and I rolled a Nat 1... This should be interesting, and it brings up an interesting question. How would you like us to handle crit fails DB? Should we explain the details, or leave it to you?))


Last edited by XandZero2 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1219
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 29
Location : Baton Rouge, LA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Unable to locate threats, the ring reports.

"Ce n'est pas très utile en ce moment, anneau!" she growls, frustrated. "...le maire. Quelles que soient ces choses, ils vont probablement venir à la mairie. Anneau, localisez le maire."

Perception Check to locate the mayor:
18 rolled, +7 = 25. Not bad.

Prench Translation:
That's not very helpful right now, ring!

...the mayor. Whatever these things are, they'll probably come to the mayor. Ring, locate the mayor.


Last edited by The Warrior of Many Faces on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Gender : Male
Posts : 2158
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 22
Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  Dr Blight on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:42 pm

The pale purple griffon spoke as continued to look through the crowd, standing on her hind legs to get a better look. "He's a cub, looks a lot like me I suppose, though his coat is black and grey like his father. Where are you going? I can't leave without my son! Oh! Talon! Talon!" She called as she continued to search.

Stone Force blinked a little at Ragnarok's comment before giving a cheerful laugh. "If some excitement should appear, I can only promise to try to leave some for you!"

A flutter of red, a flash of steel, and a splash of red hits the streets.

The five guards before the mayor fall as a black and brown griffon clad in grey scarred armor and a bright red cape descends from the roof of the museum silently, the only sound being the beating of his wings as he lands, and swings his swords across their backs. Seemingly in an instant, ponies and griffins in red hooded capes stand up among the crowd, some bearing swords formed of magic others of cold steel. All wearing gleaming armor, well oiled and maintained and a crest on their capes of a diamond with swords crossed behind it. Some bear grim determination on their faces, others malevolent grins.

A flutter of red, a flash of steel, and a splash of red hits the streets.

The ponies in red begin to swing their swords, cutting into the crowds around them. Screams fill the air as the parade turns into a stampede to attempt to escape the attackers. Guards quickly find themselves engaged in battle against groups all throughout the streets. The griffon turns suddenly, grabbing the mayor by the throat and storming his way past the frightened aides into the museum. Five of the red robed ponies follow behind, closing the heavy doors behind them and a loud 'clunk' sounds as they bar it. Their counterparts breaking into smaller groups, continuing to cut into the crowds and guards and spreading panic. As the crowds begin to thin in the panic, it becomes apparent that there are nearly thirty of these knights spread out throughout the remains of the parade. While most of the far fewer guards charge in to engage the attackers, one pegasus guard from those downed among the stairs wobbles to his feet and takes to the sky, flying towards the fort on the horizon as fast as his wings can carry him.

Stone Force stood up, looking around at the chaos below before turning to look at Ragnarok. "Are you psychic professor?" Not waiting for a response however, he turned his attention back to battle breaking out below. Tearing off his shirt with a bellow of "STOOOONE FOOOOOORCE" the minotaur leaped from the float into the fray, grinning like the mad. "By the Queen Dragon, what is all this?!" Professor Adelinde asked nopony in particular as she ripped one of the handles from her chair to use as an improvised weapon should she need to. Feeling a tug on her tail, she spun quickly around to find herself looking into the large eyes of a black and grey griffin cub babbling "Liza'd!" as he pulled at her tail.

((I believe that answers where the Mayor is? As for crit fails, I'll let you handle it unless it's a skill challenge I actually state for you myself. Also, that's Talon up there with Adelinde. He was climbing up the float.))
avatar
Dr Blight
Best Pony
Best Pony

Gender : Male
Posts : 1175
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 27

View user profile http://askdarknebula.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Halynn's eyes narrow in anger. So many dead... or perhaps injured, she wasn't sure in the chaos of the crowd.

No. More.

Her ring flashes and a green light envelops Halynn, coalescing into her Green Lantern outfit.

"Méfiez-vous ma puissance, les poulains!" she yells, running at the nearest group of attackers that weren't already fighting guards with her ring at the ready.

Initiative Roll and Combat Talents:
Initiative: rolled a 5. Dang it.

Halynn is taking:

[+2] La lumière de la lanterne verte. [Celestia’s Light]
All allies gain 3 temporary Hit Points.

[+1] Flammes émeraude. [Fireball]
Deal 1d8 damage to target creature and each creature adjacent to the target.

[-2] Un bouclier émeraude. [Conjure Warden]
Conjure an allied Emerald Shield. It has the following stat block:

Emerald Shield – 1 HP
Trait: When an Emerald Shield is conjured, its conjurer chooses one creature for the Emerald Shield to guard. The chosen creature cannot be attacked.
[0] Emerald Boon
The Emerald Shield grants you or target ally 1d8 HP.


[-2] Assaut sur le vert. [Chain Lightning]
Deal 1d10 to target creature. If you roll a 6 or higher you may copy this effect, choosing a new target for the copy.

[-7] Méfiez-vous mon pouvoir. [Frostfall]
Deal 2d12 to target creature and 1d12 to creatures adjacent to the target. The primary target is stunned until the end of your next turn.

Prench Translation:
Beware my power, foals!
avatar
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Gender : Male
Posts : 2158
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 22
Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  RavenscroftRaven on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Land Lobber looks back. Seems like it was an invasion or a coup of some kind. Figures, just as he was about to get some food.

...Those swords might be worth some money, though. Perhaps if a few of these tiny rebels got separated, he could liberate a few souvenirs without anyfolk's notice. Again, good to be large and in charge, the fleeing ponies weren't much to step through as he stretched out one arm and gave his pickaxe a few practice swings.

Combat Stat Bar:

HP 30/30, 4 pips, no status effects

Picking the True Path, Wild Pickaxe Swing, A Bone to Pick With You, Pick Your Brains, Put Your Heads Together.

Initiative:
Roll(1d20)+0:
2,+0
Total:2


Last edited by RavenscroftRaven on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Posts : 1521
Join date : 2012-10-09

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  tygerburningbright on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Ragnarok mutters "This may just be worth my while. " Now shouting "Adelinde watch the hatchling and try not to join in on the fray!" She makes a leap at a nearby group of attackers.

Initiative+moves :

Roll(1d20)+0:
12,+0
Total:12
and these 5 moves

[+2] Mind Shock (Psychic Anomaly)
You and target enemy suffer vulnerability 5 (save ends).

[+2] Static Shield (Perfect Focus) [Inspired by LoganAura]
You gain resist 3 until the end of your next turn. At the start of your next turn, if you have not taken damage since you last used this ability, you gain 2 more pips.

[+1] Claw Rake (Stab)
Deal 1d10 damage to target creature.

[-2] Lightning Bind (Condemn)
Target creature is subjected to your Condemnation (save ends). While subjected to your Condemnation, you deal 1d8 damage to the creature whenever it deals damage.

[-2] Daring Dive (Feedback Wave)
Deal 1d12+X damage to target creature, where X equals the number of PiPs that creature has.

OOC:
Please let it be the group that someone else is attacking!
avatar
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 3141
Join date : 2012-07-19
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  SubjectZ on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:39 am

Healing Torch gasps in shock when the attack commences, and jumps back from one of the mysterious soldier's blades, making it strike the ground with a dull ringing sound. He ran backwards in a blind panic, noticing them take away the mayor. He stopped after about a minute and a half of backpedaling, a good 500 feet from the battle. He saw a hippogriff jump from what appeared to be a parade float, diving into the fray. He thought for a moment, and his head jerked up with a snap as he realized: These soldiers are cutting up innocent colts and mares. I saw children in that crowd. He saw in his mind's eye a young green unicorn sobbing over an older, orange earth pony's corpse. Nopony will be orphaned today. Nopony will have to know that pain. This stops here. Cold fury began to pump through his body, making his eyes blaze with some unseen light. He began to run at a breakneck speed towards the battle, cursing himself for his initial cowardice. Because of my frightened fleeing, some child may grow up alone and desolate. He saw a pony in an elaborate green costume charge into a group of soldiers, and decided to follow her. He assumed it was a her, due to the long ponytail trailing behind her. He cried out defiantly "THIS STOPS HEEEEEERE!", as he jumped into the battle.
Initiative and Combat Talents:
I rolled:
Initiative: 12 + 0 = 12
Sweet!
My Combat Talents in this encounter are:
[+1] Fireball
Deal 1d8 damage to target creature and each creature adjacent to the target.

[+1] Adrenaline [Energize]
Target ally gains a pip.

[+2] Second Opinion [Friendly Encouragment]
Target ally can roll twice on his or her next attack and take either result.

[-6] Phoenix Flight [IT IS NOT THIS DAY!]
The sheer power of your voice motivates target unconscious ally to get up. They immediately gain 1d4 hp and perform one of their three Special Moves (their choice).

[+1] Healing Salve
Target ally regains 1d10+3 hp.
avatar
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 644
Join date : 2012-10-24
Age : 18
Location : Who wants to know?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:47 am

Halynn notices Healing Torch out of the corner of her eye. He looks familiar; she thought she had seen him on the boat. What was he doing here? Her job always became a lot harder when civilians got involved.

No time to usher him away from the combat, so hopefully he can defend himself.

"Priority one is the civilians!" she calls to Torch. "Make sure they're safe!" No Prench right now, not when correct communication was necessary.
avatar
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Gender : Male
Posts : 2158
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 22
Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  SubjectZ on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:53 am

"Got it!", Healing Torch affirmed as he stopped and looked around.
((If this means I forfeit my first turn for the check, I will do so.))
Perception:
I rolled:
15 + (6) = 21
To spot anyone in danger or needing healing.
avatar
SubjectZ
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 644
Join date : 2012-10-24
Age : 18
Location : Who wants to know?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of the Windigo King

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 37 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum