MLP:FiM Season Four: Discussion, Speculation, Interpretation, find it all here. [SPOILERS]

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Re: MLP:FiM Season Four: Discussion, Speculation, Interpretation, find it all here. [SPOILERS]

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Especially Tirek.

Could he and his mad urging towards eternal night and certain forms be the Spirit of Order to Discord's Spirit of Chaos???

Probably not, but it's fun to think abut!
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MLP:FiM Season Four: Discussion, Speculation, Interpretation, find it all here. [SPOILERS]

Post  Philadelphus on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:57 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:
4. If Rarity had all those scarves, why wasn't anypony else wearing them??? Probably for the sake of the gag.
They didn't want to admit she was right.

6. Black book. Neighcromonicon/Necroponicon, anypony?
It's funny because in our Pony Team Bravo game set soon after the end of season 2 we're trying to recover the Necroponicon (among other things) after it was stolen during the confusion of the wedding. My first thought on seeing that book was "Ah, I see the princesses recovered it."

7. Did anypony else notice that the Elements of Harmony weren't even mentioned? Makes me wonder if the Elements are programmed to only activate for threats above a certain caliber, which Sombra wasn't at that point. Or maybe Sombra managed to make himself immune? What do you think?
Maybe they only work in Equestria.
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Cardbo wrote:
The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:Soooo, since most of this thread has been discussion about Sombra... it's time for something completely different!

1. Pinkie Spy. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought that was the best part of the premiere? :pinkiehappy:

Yep. And apparently she going ninja next episode. Kage Bunshin No Jutsu!

7. Did anypony else notice that the Elements of Harmony weren't even mentioned? Makes me wonder if the Elements are programmed to only activate for threats above a certain caliber, which Sombra wasn't at that point. Or maybe Sombra managed to make himself immune? What do you think?

Now that you mention it, I don't think they were mentioned. I guess its because they were focused on helping Cadence and not defeating Sombra?

Ninja? Really? For somepony so colorful, she ends up dressing up in black a lot...

I dunno, Friending Sombra probably woulda helped Cadance just as much as finding the Heart would have.

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Especially Tirek.

Could he and his mad urging towards eternal night and certain forms be the Spirit of Order to Discord's Spirit of Chaos???

Probably not, but it's fun to think abut!

In a way, I could see that. Tirek's thing is corrupting ponies into dark forms to do his bidding, so there's definitely shades (hah) of a darker form of order there.

Philadelphus wrote:
4. If Rarity had all those scarves, why wasn't anypony else wearing them??? Probably for the sake of the gag.
They didn't want to admit she was right.

6. Black book. Neighcromonicon/Necroponicon, anypony?
It's funny because in our Pony Team Bravo game set soon after the end of season 2 we're trying to recover the Necroponicon (among other things) after it was stolen during the confusion of the wedding. My first thought on seeing that book was "Ah, I see the princesses recovered it."

Maybe they only work in Equestria.

Scarves: I could see that of RD and AJ, but I can't picture Twilight derping like that.

Book: Glad to see I'm not the only one who jumped to that conclusion. :pinkiehappy:

Elements: I kinda doubt that; if it was too far out of Equestria for the Elements to work, Sombra's machinations shouldn't have reached that far (sure he could lead an army against them eventually, but it was implied that the corruption of the crystals would affect Equestria). That said, it does occur to me that maybe Sombra can corrupt any and all crystals... including those in the Elements of Harmony. Maybe they were withheld so that Sombra couldn't get them.
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 pm

The elements? That one is easy:

Darklestia wanted to test Twilight, and so sent her into a dangerous situation without telling her the whole story, and creating a sense of urgency that would make the scatterbrained unicorn forget the elements even existed until they were already on the train. Luna disapproved of risking lives for the sake of Celestia's little test, you could tell. Orbital Friendship Beaming him doesn't prove or test anything other than the fact the elements haven't run out of magic yet.

And I thought Rainbow was being Rainbow. It's kinda of her character to be a bit standoffish, and a bit of a jerk. You notice she, unlike most of the Elements, shares the trait with Twilight of only having the Elements as her friends? (Even Twilight I think is doing better than her). Even long-old ones she is abrasive to the point of quickly outcasting: she is not the most likeable of ponies, she's socially awkward, just in a different way. She has fans, not friends, and being in a place where they aren't fans would put her on serious edge, since she can't get away with anything by virtue of being Rainbow-Bucking-Dash. Put any well-respected, rich, and famous person amongst the unwashed masses who don't know to respect them, and you'll get a similar result.
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Where in canon is it confirmed that Rainbow Dash doesn't have other friends besides the Elements?
AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 pm

RavenscroftRaven wrote:The elements? That one is easy:

Darklestia wanted to test Twilight, and so sent her into a dangerous situation without telling her the whole story, and creating a sense of urgency that would make the scatterbrained unicorn forget the elements even existed until they were already on the train. Luna disapproved of risking lives for the sake of Celestia's little test, you could tell. Orbital Friendship Beaming him doesn't prove or test anything other than the fact the elements haven't run out of magic yet.

And I thought Rainbow was being Rainbow. It's kinda of her character to be a bit standoffish, and a bit of a jerk. You notice she, unlike most of the Elements, shares the trait with Twilight of only having the Elements as her friends? (Even Twilight I think is doing better than her). Even long-old ones she is abrasive to the point of quickly outcasting: she is not the most likeable of ponies, she's socially awkward, just in a different way. She has fans, not friends, and being in a place where they aren't fans would put her on serious edge, since she can't get away with anything by virtue of being Rainbow-Bucking-Dash. Put any well-respected, rich, and famous person amongst the unwashed masses who don't know to respect them, and you'll get a similar result.

It's not really in-character for Celestia to do that, though, Tyrantestia aside. Test Twilight? Yes. Risk lives? Not really, no.

No, Rainbow was being more abrasive than usual IMO. I'll grant she was under pressure, but she wasn't this abrasive during NMM, or Discord (pre-Discording, anyway), or Chrysalis.

As for the friends thing... since when have we seen the Mane Six hanging out with anypony except each other?

Twilight: seems to know people's names, if her knowledge of Snips, Snails, and whoever that pony she approached near the end of Bridle Gossip is anything to go by. But as for close friends, she only seems to have Spike and the girls in Ponyville.

Rarity: The only ponies I've seen that she might consider friends outside of the girls and Spike would be Aloe and Lotus, and that's mostly due to how frequently she visits the spa, not due to any closeness.

Rainbow: Nopony, pretty much.

Fluttershy: Pretty much just Angel.

Pinkie: knows almost everypony, close to the girls and the Cakes (and they seem to be familial figures, so they don't count).

Applejack: Doesn't seem to be close with anypony outside of the girls.

None of them really seem to have close friends outside their little circle.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 am

On risking lives, it could be that, as per the first episode, Celestia has total faith in Twilight and trusts her completely, and so she does not view it as risking lives. On the other hoof, she could be being a bit aloof with lives because lives pass in the blink of an eye to an immortal, so while she is a benevolent ruler, when someone as promising as Twilight comes by, she is willing to break her tedium of existence to indulge her impromptu heir.

Rainbow: NMM, not abrasive? "Are you a SPY?!", but still, in all three circumstances, she is surrounded by those who acknowledge her power: In the first, Ponyville respects her and the Nightmare fears facing her directly (in her view, doing it through the 'bolts). Discord? He fears her until she is corrupted, him playing least-in-sight when the elements get involved. Like her barbarian counterpart here, there is a clear win condition in a simple contest. She is dealing with a situation she is accustomed to, if a bit different: Do some tricks, wow an already cowed audience, and blast the baddie. Chrysalis? They're in Canterlot, facing a species of sycophants and she gets violent pretty quickly. How is this NOT her dream job? It's practically a practice session to be a wonderbolt. She had very little role to play prior except "show off to your fans" until the end of it too, always in her element, on her own. When she starts jousting, she gets friendlier than before, it's a comfortable role, being the brash and irreverent pony.

Friends: Wow, you're right! The Mane 6 don't have friends! Makes sense. If they did, they'd be protecting them instead of hounding Twilight there at the very start. Fairweather friends, sure, but the Magic of Friendship needs true friends, and maintaining even one or two of those is a heavy task, let alone 5. The Mane 6 have no friends outside their god-clique!
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:18 am

RavenscroftRaven wrote:On risking lives, it could be that, as per the first episode, Celestia has total faith in Twilight and trusts her completely, and so she does not view it as risking lives. On the other hoof, she could be being a bit aloof with lives because lives pass in the blink of an eye to an immortal, so while she is a benevolent ruler, when someone as promising as Twilight comes by, she is willing to break her tedium of existence to indulge her impromptu heir.

Rainbow: NMM, not abrasive? "Are you a SPY?!", but still, in all three circumstances, she is surrounded by those who acknowledge her power: In the first, Ponyville respects her and the Nightmare fears facing her directly (in her view, doing it through the 'bolts). Discord? He fears her until she is corrupted, him playing least-in-sight when the elements get involved. Like her barbarian counterpart here, there is a clear win condition in a simple contest. She is dealing with a situation she is accustomed to, if a bit different: Do some tricks, wow an already cowed audience, and blast the baddie. Chrysalis? They're in Canterlot, facing a species of sycophants and she gets violent pretty quickly. How is this NOT her dream job? It's practically a practice session to be a wonderbolt. She had very little role to play prior except "show off to your fans" until the end of it too, always in her element, on her own. When she starts jousting, she gets friendlier than before, it's a comfortable role, being the brash and irreverent pony.

Friends: Wow, you're right! The Mane 6 don't have friends! Makes sense. If they did, they'd be protecting them instead of hounding Twilight there at the very start. Fairweather friends, sure, but the Magic of Friendship needs true friends, and maintaining even one or two of those is a heavy task, let alone 5. The Mane 6 have no friends outside their god-clique!

Celestia: I personally favor that first explanation. It seems to fit better.

Abrasiveness: Hmm, you might have something there. The main incidents I noticed were the questioning session and keeping the ponies away from the fake heart. Both involved social grace, a situation she's not used to dealing with. I think I see where you're coming from.

Friends: Well, no good friends. I'm sure there are people they consider friends, but aren't especially close to. (Cheerilee comes to mind.)
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:30 am

Ninja? Really? For somepony so colorful, she ends up dressing up in black a lot...

Have you read Friendship Contract? Its a Naruto/MLP crossover. I think the idea of Pinkie being a ninja fits her really well.
Cardbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 am

No, I haven't. I'm not really a Naruto fan. (Although from what I know, those guys are a bit too flashy to be particularly good ninjas.)
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Spoiler:
Accurate. In the Naruto world, apparently ninjas used to work like they do in our world (with added superpowers to help).

But a different culture, plus those superpowers, has lead to a slow-building change to the point where the word "ninja" describes someone who is more like a government-contracted superhero now (or maybe just "superpower", considering the often-amoral nature of their missions), rather than some stealthy sneaky ultra-serious assassin. arguably makes sense - though I cannot think of any off the top of my head because I'm a little tired, dozens of other words have changed their meanings entirely through logical cultural adaptation. Like (thought of one) the word "nice" which began in France as meaning "foolish or stupid" and eventually evolved logically into something entirely different today.

Which isn't to say you have to like these versions of ninjas-it just seems to me that their world has a differently evolved meaning for the word than ours does.

And none of that under the spoiler had anything to do with ponies!

So something to do with ponies: What are your favorite episodes or seasons one and two? For Season One, I must place "Suited for Success" at the top simply for its obvious analogy to the creator's experience combined with a very out-of-control and moderately characterized completely natural problem that emphasizes Rarity's, well, Generosity, a trait of hers that has unfortunately often been overlooked as of late.

Season two has to be the opening two episodes. I could go on about proper characterization and plotting and interesting group dynamics when put under pressure, the implications of mind control and the Elements of Harmony and the distant past...but honestly? Discord. There is no other reason I am calling Return of Harmony the best episode(s) of Season Two than him. He is thus far my favorite villain in all of fiction, and watching him at work is a riot.

What did you guys like best in seasons one and two?
AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Spoiler:
Makes sense. Although given those circumstances, I'd have given them a different name if I was writing the show.

Suited for Success was a good episode, although I wasn't so fond of the song. Green isn't your Color was also fun, because of "FOR-EVERRRR!" and Photo Finish. I think my favorite would probably have to be Applebuck Season, though. Tired Applejack is best Applejack. Very Happy Either that or Feeling Pinkie Keen because of Twilight's misfortunes and the surprisingly hilarious Hydra.

As for Season 2, I join you in praising Discord in the Return of Harmony. Discord is best villain. Very Happy Other events that I particularly enjoyed were Pinkie in MMMystery, Derpy in The Last Roundup, and Luna Eclipsed because Luna.
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Party of One for season one, for its characterization of a previously one-sided character, along with Suited For Success, since, as a cosplayer, I have been there, easy identification with Rares. Boast Busters as well.

Season two, I'll go against the grain: I likes MMDW. To use crude terms, it is exactly the kind of dickish thing my friends would do to each other instead of just saying "stop showboating". Again, I found it quite realistic in the actions of the ponies. (In frequency of disaster, of course not, but Ponyville is pretty disaster-ridden anyways). I also enjoyed Family Appreciation Day.

All that said? Q is best Discord.

RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:23 am

Despite me like the show as a whole, there aren't too many episodes that really stand out in my mind in Season 1

I liked the pilot, Boast Busters and The Best Night Ever

Season 2. I guess it would Return of Harmony, Mystery Mare Do Well, Read It and Weep, and Mystery on the Friendship Express.

EDIT:Forgot about, "Its About Time"

Last edited by Cardbo on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Too Many Pinkie Pies. Andrea Libman sounded like she was having a hard time during that episode.

The woodland creatures are now communists, in that they live in a commune. Also, a tree, which is very similar to something in Fluttershy's Bad Hare Day (fanfic). Tank finally got more airtime, I think. But then that means RD abandoned him in the woods.

Lyra is immensely jealous of Pinkie now. And G3faec, as well.

Did Twilight's spell seem a little violent? Looked pretty painful. Combine that with the two Orange-animals, and she's evidently not concerned with ethics when it comes to spellcasting- or at least, not cleaning up her mess.

Someone go back and count how many times Pinkie faceplants in that episode.

Oh, and Sombra hasn't come back yet.
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:13 pm

I could go into some sort of in-depth analysis of the episodes' positives and negatives to explain my position,

Or even explain my position at all,

But I'm not going to.

Just gonna say:

Too.

Many.

Pinkie Pies.
AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:19 pm

There was more then one pinkie, that was clear from the start it was too much. Razz *has not seen the episode yet... Must try to stop clicking here so quickly*
Xel Unknown

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sable Tails on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:06 pm

First off, I'm a total villainophile, so I was pretty disappointed at Sombra; however, other than him I liked the premier of season 3 and the way it suggested of things to come. Also, I love all three of season 1 and 2's main villains, though I'm especially fond of Nightmare Moon since she has the most backstory, as shallow as it may be. Discord's great, but he's still pretty much your straight-up trickster god and has no backstory other than that a long time ago he also liked to wreak chaos. Also, my favorite episodes were pretty much just the ones with the villains (including Trixie and whatnot), as well as a few others. If I had to pick just one, though...it might be It's About Time. It's been a long time since I watched it, but I remember it being awesome, lol.

On a different note...I threw together a quick list of twenty things I'd like to see in season 3, if anyone's interested. I think it should be pretty self-evident, but just in case: this is just for fun, so please don't take it too seriously. If anyone really likes any of the ideas, maybe I'll turn it into a fanfiction or something.

1. King Sombra breaks out of Hell and returns to the land of the living before slaying Cerberus and shattering the gates of Tartarus itself, releasing the legions of Ancient Evil Creatures trapped within. The Bearers, the Princesses, Shining Armor, Cadance, Granny Smith…even the worst of creatures, Angel Bunny, Diamond Tiara, Blueblood – everypony must join forces to beat back the primeval forces of evil and chaos. (Well, except for Discord…he breakdances instead. At least until Vinyl Scratch finds her Bass Cannon, at which point he once more flees to Celestia’s garden and pretends to be a stone statue.) The forces of good and not-so-bad reign victorious and Sombra is banished to supermax Hell.
2. The G&P Trixie wanders the world in sorrow and anger for a time, her reputation and self-confidence in ruins. In a chance encounter with a sage at the top of a giant mountain ringed with lava at the south pole, she realizes what she must do. She returns to Ponyville and kicks Twilight’s ass.
3. The other main six finally realize that Pinkie Pie is insane. Fortunately, it’s the kind of madness that allows one to foresee the future, perform physically impossible tasks, and understand that one is a cartoon character, and not the kind of madness that makes one stab one’s best friends repeatedly in their sleep, so it’s all cool. Big hugs all around.
4. Cadance and Shining Armor are anointed King and Queen of the Crystal Empire, where they reign with righteous strength and justice. They conceive a child…but while his wife is giving birth, Shining Armor learns that Cadance has actually been dead since the end of season two and his beloved wife is actually the changeling Queen Chrysalis. She begs for forgiveness, but in his anger and sorrow and shame he banishes her from his side forever, sparing her life only for the love he bears their daughter. He keeps the secret of her mother’s identity from his little filly and from the entire kingdom.
5. Twilight Sparkle discovers yet another ancient prophecy, this one telling of a rainbow pegasus who would rise to become the greatest warrior the world has ever known. Rainbow Dash must then forsake her beloved Wonderbolts and embrace her true destiny. With a spear of lightning and a crown of thunder, she splits the skies with her awesome chromatic fury.
6. Luna grows weary of being ‘the other princess,’ and takes the opportunity to expand her night guard, establish a night court, and become mistress of Equestria’s special ops, spy corps, and clandestine research division. When she’s not overseeing the blackmail of key nobles or giving statements to the press about what weapons of mass annihilation the ever-peaceful Equestria is not developing, she’s using a millennium of royal salary-plus-interest to hire a tutor so she can learn modern English. Which she proceeds to never use, because she’s the night goddess and could speak pig Latin and still be a badass.
7. In her research, Twilight Sparkle realizes that she’s already basically a god, and then grows a pair of wings to prove it. With that out of the way, she once more hits the books.
8. The G&P Trixie returns and kicks alicorn Twilight’s ass.
9. Her friends finally discover that Fluttershy is the last living very-great grandchild of the long-dead life goddess. She can call upon the wrath of nature of nature with a word and shatter the minds of her enemies with a glance. But she always apologizes profusely afterwards.
10. In a post-ponypocalypse future, machines rule the world and life is all-but-terminated. One of the last survivors, the Future Badass Twilight from It’s About Time, steals a magitech device from the machines and uses it to escape to our present so she can warn the powers-that-be. The G&P Trixie hears of this new Twilight and hunts her down, intent on proving her superiority over every time period’s version of the Pathetic & Weak Twilight. However, FB Twilight kicks the G&P Trixie’s ass. Then they join forces. (Meanwhile, Luna cuts the budget for a certain R&D project that had been showing so much promise, breaking many a government scientist’s heart.)
11. We learn of Rarity’s secret life as a master thief and spy in Luna’s employ. Her mission, if she chooses to accept it: to infiltrate the Canterlot nobility and steal all their stuff. Because, frankly, this is 1002 AL (After Luna), and Luna’s projects need the money more than some outdated aristocracy. Plus, they’re all in Celestia’s pocket anyway, so screw them.
12. In one of Luna’s top-secret genetics laboratories buried deep in the catacombs under Canterlot, a number of rogue scientists work on using the powers of magic and science to create the ultimate weapon. Luna discovers the plot and dispatches her night guards to shut down the project, but not before the traitors succeed in creating the ultimate assassin…they call her…Mare-Do-Well. Escaping moments before an explosion rips through the underground complex, Mare-Do-Well must evade Luna’s hunters while trying to discover her true nature and destiny.
13. A band of fanatical doomsday cultists finally succeeds in resurrecting Luna’s alter ego, Nightmare Moon. Share her joy as she pops that sun like a cosmic pimple! Bwahahahahaha!
14. Spike finally grows into the Spike from A Dog and Pony Show, and he marries the mysterious Lady Rarity. They have strange babies.
15. FB Twilight and the G&P Trixie are hired by Luna to hunt down and destroy the rogue experiment Mare-Do-Well. However, in a final confrontation they realize that they all stand for the same things: justice, self-confidence, and badassery. Instead of killing each other, they form the League of Extraordinary Genetic Experiments, Time Travelers, and Stage Magicians. Featuring Mare-Do-Well, whose skill in breaking both security systems and necks knows no equal; the Great and Powerful Trixie, a dynamo of charisma who possesses the self-confidence of ten normal ponies; and Future Badass Twilight, whose shouts her catchphrase – now a cultural icon – of “Eat friendship, Mother!@#$%^s!” as she beats evil to a bloody pulp with her bare hooves and calls it mercy. Since the vigilante group’s inception, the global non-supervillain crime-rate has dropped to negative fifty-percent and police worldwide have been reassigned to soup kitchens and day-care centers.
16. Luna finally gets around to intervening on her sister’s behalf, eventually coming to an agreement with her now-corporeal alter-ego: in exchange for permitting daytime again, Nightmare Moon is given Equestrian citizenship, with her own social security number and birth certificate and everything, and as such is no longer subject to eternal banishment and subsequent annihilation through harmony without due process. Celestia vows to fight this move through legal action.
17. Granny Smith finally tells Applejack the truth: that she is actually the daughter of the great time wizard Star Swirl the Bearded and the time traveler Colgate. However, after awhile her parents grew cold and then resentful towards each other, until finally Colgate ran off with Star Swirl’s archrival Dr. Whooves, taking her infant daughter with her. Quickly realizing that cruising the past and future is no life for a little filly, she dumped Applejack off on a farm in an out-of-the-way town in an out-of-the-way epoch. Now Star Swirl is scouring all of history for his only child, and Applejack must decide whether to reject her heritage as a guardian of the timeline…or to embrace it.
18. Upon learning of Applejack’s ancestry, alicorn Twilight realizes all of the paradoxes involved in time-travel and goes nuts again. Pinkie Pie, liking crazy Twilight better, decides that they should be crazy together. Discord wants in on the action too, so he hooks up with the two mares. Derpy Hooves becomes parts of the team as well; nopony really knows how that happened. Together, the Fruity Four Ungulates vows to fight crime and uphold the law and stuff. Unfortunately, that shtick was already taken by the aforementioned LoEGETTaSM; there was no crime left to fight. It looked as if the team of heroes would have to disband before they even began…but then Derpy noticed an ad in the newspaper. Suffering from vision problems, she was unable to read the ad and passed it to Discord, who turned it into a frog and made it sing the ad as a part of a dance-and-song routine. It seemed that Nightmare Moon, being newly reborn and suffering from a lack of competent minions at the beginning of her reign (cultists excelling at opening hellmouths and such but being rather poor at hoof-to-hoof fighting), was in the market for new underlings. Thus was born the Evil Fruity Four Ungulates (EFFU)!
19. In an alternate universe, Umbrae Nova, she whose heart is the eternal flame, has finally succeeded in slaying her dimension’s version of Nightmare Moon. Having then proceeded to consume her own world, she now breaks through into Celestia’s, intent on feeding everything to the fire. Once more the entire world must join forces to beat back this existential threat. The world gets its ass kicked. Now we have to wait until season four to see if everypony dies or not…curse you, Hasbro!
20. My OC becomes a major character in the show.

Sable Tails
Background Pony
Background Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:30 pm

So... 20 crackfics you'd like to see canon?

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE THREE!

In the commentary to Too Many Pinkie Pies, someone mentioned "what if Twilight killed the real Pinkie because she was the one that got distracted by G1 Pinkie, through no fault of her own?" I think that'd be an interesting angle to take... Also, it amuses me that the fake Pinkies are basically Fanfic-vision Pinkie, single-minded and obsessive.

Then again, considering their lack of knowledge, a better test would have been "Name everypony in Ponyville", since that was something Pinkie prided herself on, while the fakes had trouble with names. Instead of, you know, nazi death camp "you look from wall, we kill you!" evil Twilight mode. Twilight I think might be falling a bit for the dark side. She's seriously maimed two innocent animals without a care in the world about it, and on top of that she killed... 63 Pinkie Pies, one of which was, statistically speaking, quite likely to be the "real" one since her test was not properly made at all.

Twilight is a mass-murderer. And she is scheduled to be the next Alicorn Princess. You know, Sombrero, I think you need to toss in your hat, this new villain is much scarier. She gains the love of the masses, then uses them in unethical and dangerous experiments and murders those that so much as stray a hair from her orders. Horrifyingly monstruous villain, the writer nailed it! WAY better season-opener monster, this "Twilight Sparkle".
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:38 pm

I have no clue to how to respond to you Sable.

My guess for magic duel is that trixie in the preview pic is either some sort of magical evil clone or the evil half of her or something like that.
tygerburningbright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:27 am

I hate to be so blunt, but even if that wasn't the real Pinkie Pie, (which according to emotional reactions doesn't seem likely), that was the real Pinkie Pie. She had far more of an emotional range and far more concern for herself and her relationship with her friends than any of the others.

I recognize that's a bit of an evil thing for me to say, or at least it looks like it at first glance (I'm honestly not sure myself which it is). If any would-be heroes would like to dispute me, I would love to start a roleplay where we fight each other with superpowers on the rooftops while we debate our points. And I am not being sarcastic in the slightest.

Speaking of things that might be evil: Twilight wasn't. Yes, her methodology was a bit...well, to put it bluntly, stupid, and horrifying if she did the wrong thing (depending on personal philosophy horrifying even if she did the right thing because under those philosophies there was nothing right about what she did) but for an action to be evil it can't just be "you did something bad" or "you did something really bucking bad"; you need an intent to purposefully hurt others needlessly for 100% personal gain of some sort before someone can be classified as "evil", and you need the majority of those and an antagonistic nature to someone with the moral high ground before you can be called the "villain".

Also, Ravescroft, try and stray away from comparisons to Nazi Germany, alright?
AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:26 am

RavenscroftRaven wrote:So... 20 crackfics you'd like to see canon?

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE THREE!

Then again, considering their lack of knowledge, a better test would have been "Name everypony in Ponyville", since that was something Pinkie prided herself on, while the fakes had trouble with names. Instead of, you know, nazi death camp "you look from wall, we kill you!" evil Twilight mode. Twilight I think might be falling a bit for the dark side. She's seriously maimed two innocent animals without a care in the world about it, and on top of that she killed... 63 Pinkie Pies, one of which was, statistically speaking, quite likely to be the "real" one since her test was not properly made at all.

Twilight is a mass-murderer. And she is scheduled to be the next Alicorn Princess. You know, Sombrero, I think you need to toss in your hat, this new villain is much scarier. She gains the love of the masses, then uses them in unethical and dangerous experiments and murders those that so much as stray a hair from her orders. Horrifyingly monstruous villain, the writer nailed it! WAY better season-opener monster, this "Twilight Sparkle".

The orange frog and bird are a little disturbing. Hopefully, that spell of hers wears off eventually. As for the Pinkies, it was clearly shown that they were returned to the pond, not killed. I've got as personal head cannon, that the other pinkie's were aspects of Pinkie Prime's personality, and when returned to the pond, went back to Pinkie Prime herself.
Cardbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:21 am

Cardbo wrote:As for the Pinkies, it was clearly shown that they were returned to the pond, not killed. I've got as personal head cannon, that the other pinkie's were aspects of Pinkie Prime's personality, and when returned to the pond, went back to Pinkie Prime herself.

Well, if Pinkie Prime absorbed all the memories of the clone Pinkies, then she actually WOULD have known the fun of all the different events.

This episode was rather fun to watch. It also helped showcase Pinkie Pie is interested in making sure that her fun is respectful of others, not just doing her own thing like the clone Pinkies do.

*Pinkie Pie flies through the air with a quiet "weee", stops above the water's surface, then slowly sinks in.*
RD: ...How'd you do that?
PP: Just trying to show a little appreciation for my sleepy friend.
RD: ...Okay, that's WHY, but I'm wondering HOW.
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:11 am

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:I hate to be so blunt, but even if that wasn't the real Pinkie Pie, (which according to emotional reactions doesn't seem likely), that was the real Pinkie Pie. She had far more of an emotional range and far more concern for herself and her relationship with her friends than any of the others.

[etc etc]

You got it, no more Godwinning myself. So to be very careful... Mussolini is not evil by your definition, nor a villain. Neither is he-whom-I-cannot-name, nor Pol Pot, nor Kim Jong Il, nor them terrorists nor, well, nearly any human we've defined as a villain. Your definition of Evil, in fact, makes the mindless cat or badger evil, but Karla Homolka totally not-evil. I find that lacking. Intent is important, but no villain sees themselves as a villain. There are street hotdog vendors more "evil" than Stalin by your definition, since they might skimp on toppings (meanies) for purely selfish gain. Real "villains" are doing something for SOMEONE other than themselves, even if it is some ephemeral concept like "society" or "god". Actions can so be good or evil.

Kantian philosophy mixed with utilitarianism: Imprisoning someone against their will is Evil. Stopping someone from hurting others is exactly as good as the harm they will have caused. For some criminals, putting them away is then a net Good act. Others neutral. Others Evil.

The Pinkie Pies did NOT look happy, peaceful, blissful, or any positive emotion when Twilight ripped apart their flesh and sent their souls careening into a watery grave holding cell to be imprisoned for a long, long time. For, probably the worst crimes, vandalism and noise complaints. If someone was flayed alive and then tossed in a hole for being too loud, you'd call the person doing it evil, even if they thought it was being good! Then they rationalize their flaying-and-banishing by saying "she looked away from the wall when ordered not to, so I flayed her skin and sent her to the Pit: I am doing a Good act". Just because they were "spares" doesn't mean they didn't have emotions (they seemed rather intent on NOT being blown to shreds by a psychotic unicorn, otherwise they wouldn't have done the paint dry for 5 seconds, let alone 5 minutes or longer).

I personally found this to be a dark episode. Kids wouldn't: They'd see Pinkies popping like balloons and giggle. Besides, if depression, or not-hyperness, was the only criteria, they could have skipped the whole thing and just "chose" the one Pinkie that was moping, saving a lot of time on Twilight's part.

As for oranges... Twilight is very specific in her magic. She did not say "make this apple look like an orange", she said "transform". Some pony probably ate them thinking they were real fruits enchanted by Twilight to have wings, and not vice-versa, so at least their suffering was brief.
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:30 pm

Come one, come all, to the season three discussion thread - philosophical debates abound!

...yeah, even if this eventually leads to an on-topic conclusion, a discussion on the nature of evil, villains, and labeling others is decidedly not what this thread is for. It'll be a bit empty without the arguments behind it, but I know from experience there are often a lot of people who don't want to read those long arguments, so I'll reiterate my basic thoughts on the subject outside of the spoiler for now.

Spoiler:
No one can describe anyone (or any cat or badger, or pony, etc.) as being good or evil, not even those dictators you just mentioned or that hot dog vendor, or on the opposite end of the spectrum (for lack of a more accurate term) Mahatma Gandhi or Mother Teresa, because humans are not that simple. We do good things sometimes and evil things sometimes, and a bunch of actions that lay somewhere in between, and occasionally the scope of the good or evil things we do leads to the perception of us by others being their seeing us as, well, good or evil. But those people are wrong to label such, because humans (etc. etc. and so on every time they might be mentioned from here on in) all have good and bad inside of us - not at war, just docile and not-so-docile parts of who we are. I didn't try to describe people or ponies as good or evil, I described actions they took as good or evil.

And if someone believed they were doing actions for good, then those actions cannot be called evil. They can be called horrifying, horrible, misguided, stupid, or horrifyingly horribly stupidly misguided, or some other such combination, but those actions cannot be called evil without the intent behind them. Twilight's actions in this case likely fell under "horrifyingly stupidly misguided", maybe without the horribly, it's a bit subjective. Now, if she were looking forward to doing this because Pinkie Pie pulled some prank on her and she wanted the opportunity to destroy her without actually destroying her, that would make her actions a bit more evil. Maybe all the way evil.

Also, I made the distinction between "Being evil" and "being the villain". Admittedly, however, I made it a bit unclear. The distinction is as follows: the villain must not only frequently take actions that can be described as somewhat evil because they follow most if not all of the "rules", but they must be opposed to someone (or, I suppose, some ideal) with a moral high ground. Therefore, the people you just described may or may not be frequent evildoers dependent on their motivations for doing their actions (which I cannot claim to know), but they are certainly villains.

Twilight Sparkle's action were horrifiyng. I do not debate that. But "horrifying" isn't the same as "Evil" or "unjustifiable" or even "unjustified". I can't claim to know how much of Twilight's actions were justifiable or justified - I would need to know how much of the fake Pinkie's thought processes were actual thought processes, not magical subroutines, and how much potential those Pinkies had to grow into something more, and how shallow or deep their mindset really was, and whether they really did have souls to speak of, so on and so forth, and I simply do not know all that. And even if it turns out her actions were justifiable, that will never stop it from being horrifiying, no matter how much she and the other citizens of Ponyville and the kids watching at home don't realize it.

But Twilight's actions were not out-and-out evil. Even if they were, she can't be the villain you claim she is - she does not oppose anyone with a moral high ground over her frequent actions.

In summation: Twilight's actions and she herself are not evil, just...horrifying. And various other adjectives which may or may not apply, but without the intent behind them those actions can't be evil - and even if they were, one evil deed (or many) does not an evil person make.

It's a sign of what you're missing behind the spoiler when even the summation is a couple complicated sentences long. Very Happy

So, those who haven't answered but still want to can answer my previous question, but it's time for a new one! What's been everyone's favorite song thus far? Mine? Mine must fall to Pinkie Pie's "Smile Smile Smile" for its sheer force of positivity.
AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum