Zilean's Revenge (Part 2)

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Zilean's Revenge (Part 2)

Post  Lyntermas on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:54 am

Finished. That should hold for the moment. I'll try to move all your characters sheets to the front page. Along with the pictures. And the transcripts that I still haven't gotten around to.
Zarhon wrote: And the fire giant... Is Rolf going to summon a succubus in his next fight?

"I swear, I only summon her for combat!"
I was planning more of a fire elemental sort of thing. As for succubi, well, Master Nester had a long talk with Rolf about it. The short version that the wizards that try to summon succubi for a quickie are referred to in shorthand as "dried husks." They are useful for infernal deals and possibly to attack your enemies, but they are a danger to ANYTHING they can get their hands on. Any attempt at "safe sex" would require at least a few hours drawing up legal arrangements for your safety, and it's not exactly fun having sex when you've just gone over all the ways that a succubus could use loopholes to kill you. Even in the best case scenario, you'll be having sex on THEIR terms, not yours, and they are generally stronger and have more stamina than the average wizard. Part of the "contract" will probably involve giving some of your "life energy" (more "stamina" than "life span"), so you're not leaving your bed for the next three days afterward.

This hasn't stopped Nester from having long talks with certain lawyers and logicians to "work out the kinks."

Bronymous wrote: We should probably wait until the end of the current encounter before implementing the crossover.
Or perhaps sticking the magic-proof coffin in the portable hole will cause a magical reaction that warps reality a bit.

edit: Bronymous, did you ever make a portrait for Skitter?
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 am

@ Zthulan's sheet:

Zthulan:
Speak With Spirits - Is this a self-made talent or a reflavoring one from the docs I linked? You cannot use utilities in combat: Utility talents / Skill stats and combat talents are mutually exclusive. One cannot benefit from the other.

I assume it's supposed to be like this:

Speak With Spirits - 1/day
You may add your knowledge bonus to your next skill check.

This seems a tad too powerful. I might restrict it to non-knowledge skills only.

Spirit Empathy
You can communicate to a limited extent with spirits. You’re able to get a general sense of their feelings, but no specific ideas or information.

Spirit Speak
Prerequisite - Animal Empathy
You can communicate with spirits as easily as you verbally communicate with other creatures. Speak to them as you would any NPC.

Call Spirit - 3/Day
Preparation Time: 1 Minute
You can send out a call to any spirit within a mile of you, making any specifications you like about which type of spirit you’re trying to attract. If a spirit that fits your specifications is within one mile of you, it will travel until it finds you. The spirit arrives under its normal temperament, it is not necessarily friendly when it first arrives. It will be very, very reluctant to engage in battle.

Koras [10hp] - 1/day
Summon your spirit companion, Koras. She may manipulate objects up to 25lbs in weight, fly, and is considered as phasing to allies, but hostile creatures can attack her. She persists until dismissed or until her hp drops to 0, in which case she temporarily vanishes until re-summoned. When separated, you may telepathically call her to return to you, provided she is within 100 yards of you.

As for your current combat talents, they are a complete mess: Spirit's shield can't really work without a board, Defending strike could work, with a bit of rewording, Protecting Strike cannot benefit from skill stats. The other three talents seem sorta ok, but they need to have their 1/battle restriction removed and PiP cost lowered, as well as values balanced accordingly.

As you are currently built, you pretty much can only spam the "spirit attacks", or spent a whopping 6-10 turns to just use a single attack. Suggest you have at least two [+PiP] talents.

Also, I hope you understand that it would be difficult to implement Koras as a combat companion, other than by treating him as a conjuration that must be summoned (as with the other conjurations).

In case you're unsure what denotes as "balanced", refer to the Living Legends Combat Talents. It's a good reference. Also keep in mind that PCs have only 30 hp and that fights are often pretty short.

I believe you still have 2 or so combat talents to pick as well. Rest of the sheet seems ok.

Rolf, your sheet looks ok. Immovable object might need a bit less daily limits though (3, 5, or 8 ): it's pretty powerful compared to pony tales version (which has 20 secs prep time).
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:20 am

Okay, I hopefully improved my character sheet. I just decided to stick with the Combat talents actually given and I have decided to keep Koras just as a spiritual familiar that stays with Zthulan and everything comes from Zthulan himself. Still the same document.
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Horizon sleeps with Succubi every other week, doesn't bother him.

Skitter's pic was the first one up, after Horizon. Should be a page or two before the others.

EDIT: make that a few pages. http://imgur.com/OX4mz
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Looks good Zthulan. Although shouldn't you have 5 talents total? I think you have one utility too many.

We just need to get Jeraylia's sheet and LL module is a go. We'll start playing by those rules after you finish this current escapade you're having, though.

Update time!

Skitter grabs a hold of the amulet. The ice surrounding the amulet doesn't affect him, other than by getting his claws cold and wet. He can feel that there is heat within the amulet. As he tosses it into the coffin, the ice stops steaming quite as much as it did a moment ago, but still continues melting.

Rolf and Skitter attempt to push the coffin into the portable hole, but find that their strength alone is lacking: They slide it barely a few milimeters, despite pushing as hard as they can. Zthulan attempts to help them as well, but doesn't manage to get the proper footing and grip on the coffin to do so properly.

Rolf can see that Death is rubbing the place where its chin would be with its free hand.

(Coffin pushing would be a skill challenge)
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:26 pm

*Psst! Don't make a sheet fro Jeraylia! Then we can't do it! Be a Pal!*

Ok, so you know how I've been using AFs in and out of combat, because in the DND system they can be used as weapons, or not? Well in this system, weapons (and ammo) aren't kept track of, so can I still use them in combat infinitely, or will one of my talents be a finite amount, etc.

Also, because of Boomstick, I now have Exploding Throwing knives. Will I have access to exploding throwing knives outside of combat as utility tools, since they are technically an item, and could have noncombat uses?

Horizon shifts the weight in his upper body to lean away from the direction he's being pulled in. He then tries again to regain his legs.

11+1
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Zarhon, you said we're level 2, so we have 6 Utilities (base).

Bronymous, the intent for... basically everything in the LL/PT systems is that you re-flavor stuff to make sense. So when you throw stuff that explodes, it's probably alchemist fire or you throwing several knifes, not exploding knives (unless you have a reason to have exploding knives). If you want to keep on with the Alchemist fires out of combat you probably should take Pinkie's Brew as it is at the end of that thread discussing it. Though I dunno, maybe Zarhon is cool with you making just that one type of potion with a skill check. *shrug*
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:54 pm

In regards to the stuff you bought/found/didn't use up yet (notably, scrolls and ammo and stuff you didn't already set as part of your flavor), I could say those are special combat/utility items you use up and discard. Kind of like a non-reusable daily limit or a 1/battle ability.

Since you've got alchemy as a bonus, I could allow you to make a item that would act like alchemists fire or offer it in shops. I'm afraid I can't allow mixing of combat and non-combat utilities, other than on special items.

For example, I could let Horizon roll when he's crafting (for a certain gold price) to see how many AF's he gets (better roll, more AF's) that day to use. The item in question could be, for instance:

Alchemist's fire - Consumable
-Combat:
[0] Alchemist's fighter
Deal 1d6 damage and 1d10 ongoing damage (save ends) to a target and adjacent enemies.
- Utility:
Alchemist's arson
Choose a surface you have a clear path to, within 10 feet. You ignite that surface, creating fire over a 5 foot area around the impact area, or extending the radius of existing flames by 5 feet. Attempting to use it within range of a creature outside of combat may be seen as a hostile action and/or immediately trigger combat. Expending additional Alchemist's fire potions will increase the size of the fire appropriately.

The only way your exploding knives could be useable outside of combat would be if they were a special non-trinket/armor/weapon item (artifacts come to mind), or simply a consumable.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Yeah Zarhon, I would normally have 5 utility but you said we were level 2.
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:00 pm

What about all the arrow/bolt ammo?

Also, should I go ahead and roll on the skill challenge or should I wait for other people first?
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Woah, what happened to the previous 70 pages of the thread? Are they lost?

Never mind. Looks like the thread separated itself.

I think we should see what Jeraylia wants to do prior to continuing pushing the coffin.

The ammo would be pretty much purely combat consumables which Skitter/Jeraylia can use, unless you want to turn it into flavor for utilities. The fire ammo might add something like a 3 ongoing damage on a attack, or something similar.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:15 am

Well, looks like I can't edit anything in the locked thread. In a bit of serendipity, though, I am also the first post on THIS thread as well. Would you guys like me to move at least the character sheets and pics to the front? (I'm thinking I'm leaving the transcripts as a lost cause. If anyone wants to find them, there's a 90% chance that they know about FiD if they are on this site).

Zarhon, I reduced the Immovable to 5 times a day (speaking of days, when do we decide when these things reset? I mean, we've already fought one boss but in terms of time it's still the same day.)

...Also speaking of days, it's been a while since we've heard from BrokenLogic. I really hope this thread hasn't developed a curse where all the players who use female characters tend to vanish and are never heard from again.
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:48 am

Well, the Exploding throwing knives are a thing I've been trying to get worked into a game FOREVER, and with the way stuff can be reflavored in this system, I finally have an excuse. The way I plan on doing flavoring my combat is how I've done it in other games, where instead of each talent being flavored specifically, I just say what's happening and then assign a talent to it. So I could still "run out" of knives, but not limit my talent usage. And I'd probably only use one, MAYBE 2, per battle anyway.

As for outside of combat, they would of course be consumable. I don't think they would ever factor into a utility talent, but I would hazard they would come into play as skill check bonuses (i.e., Persuasion check: I detonate a knife nearby, harmlessly, and then stick another into an interrogation victim's shoulder. Extra inspiration to talk). Also, they would have actual use, like blowing a door off hinges or signaling an attack, that wouldn't be covered by talents.

The same thing goes for the AFs, but if you really want I can roll with those proposed talents. The lack of economy in this system, though, means that paying for my uses will need to be better fleshed out.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:14 am

Sorry about slowing down the game guys, also a little behind on whats happening so I'll go with the flow for a bit. I haven't finished making my character, but I'll decide on most of it for now and update later to finish it:

Num edits: 5
And I'm done. I'll make it a doc tommorow.
And here it is without as many superfluous asides: Jeraylia Shale
Switched target of Spellchild trait to "A Beautiful Heart."

Spoiler:
Level: 2

Name: Jeraylia Shale

Attributes:
Brawn: 7
Precision: 7
Knowledge: 6
Sense: 8

Trained Skills:
1) History
2) Heal

Expert Skill: Persuasion

Race: Deva (Okay, it's an Elf)
Traits:
Ancient Knowledge
Elves can live up to three hundred years if a sword, spell or disease does not claim their lives first. With this lifespan come a wealth of time to master many crafts. Elves gain the Freaky Knowledge utility talent as a racial trait.
Spellchild
Magic runs in the blood of elv- I mean Devas. A DEVA will always have an extraordinary talent they are magically attuned to, and can use it more efficiently than most. During character creation, an Delfa can choose one of its Magic talents. Once per day, the elva can use that talent without spending a Magic point.[*]

Utility Talents:
1) Team Player (There is no I in team. But there is meat. Like in meat shield.)
2) Jack of All Trades
3) The Stare (Hey, hot stuff.)
4) Fabricate
5) Awesomeness
6) (Elf) Freaky Knowledge: Music (Or Musical Instruments if that's still too broad) and Legend has it... (Myths&Legends Razz)
7) Yee-Haw!

Virtue: Generosity (How about I give you a heart attack?)
A Beautiful Heart - Magic (Target of Spellchild trait)
Provide a +15 bonus to an ally’s skill check.

Combat Traits:
1) Inspiring Words - Whenever you target an ally with a power that has only a single target, that ally may roll a d8. If the result is 8, you and that ally both gain a pip.

Combat Talents:
Special Move: Dazzling Performance
8: Force target enemy to attack a creature of your choice. The enemy chooses which attack to use.
10: For each enemy, flip a coin. If you win that flip, stun that enemy until the end of your next turn..
12: You and target ally each gain 2 pips.

1) [+1] Divine Boon
Target ally deals an additional 1d8 damage on its next attack and an ally of your choice regains that many hit points. (Would this trigger inspiring words?)
2) [+1] Inspire Courage [Created by The Warrior of Many Faces]
Target Ally gains 1d12 temporary hp.
3) [+1] Think Up Witty Line (Gather Energy) [Created by Karilyn]
On your next turn, you may take 2 standard actions. You cannot use this talent two turns in a row.
4) [-2] Bad Evil Monster, You Should Be Ashamed Of Yourself (Condemn)
Target creature is subjected to your Condemnation (save ends). While subjected to your Condemnation, you deal 1d8 damage to the creature whenever it deals damage.
5) [-6] IT IS NOT THIS DAY! [Created by Zarhorn] [*]
The sheer power of your voice motivates target unconscious ally to get up. They immediately gain 1d4 hp and perform one of their three Special Moves (their choice).
6) [-2] Magnificent Melody [Inspired by The Warrior of Many Faces]
Target ally gains Regeneration 4 for its next two turns and deals +5 damage on its next two attacks.
7) [-3] Inspiring Tune [Inspired by The Warrior of Many Faces]
Until the end of the encounter, target ally may use the following talent once per turn.
Inspiration - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger - You roll a d8, d10 or d12 and dislike the result
You may reroll the die and take either result.
8] [-3] Alluring Alto
Flip a coin for any number of target creatures. If you win the flip, that creature must attack target ally if able until the end of your next turn.

Items:
Magic Sword (Defensive Blade) - 1000
Weapon
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.
[0] Deflect Blow - Interrupt Utility [1/Battle]
Trigger - An enemy would deal damage to you.
Effect - You suffer only half that much damage instead.

Chainmail (Banded Armor) - 1500 Gold
Armor
You have resist 2 against single-target attacks.

Symbol of Pelor (Amulet of Protection) - 500 Gold
Trinket
You begin the battle with 4 temporary hp.

Buckler (Iron Shield) - 1000 Gold
Trinket
Once per battle you may use the following combat talent.
[0] Endure Pain - Interrupt Utility [1/Battle]
Trigger - You would be reduced to 0 hp or less.
Effect - You are reduced to 1 hp instead.

And I'll use my magic point to use Yee-Haw! on Rolf.

"C'mon Fellas! My grandma could push harder than you. Well, that is, if I had one." Jeraylia limps over to help. And by help, I mean, she slaps Rolf on the ass.

Yee-Haw indeed. Aid another roll?

And yes, the curse is real. I died.

I got better.

Another edit: Changed virtue to Generosity and finished up the character sheet thing.

Last edited by Broken Logic on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:09 am; edited 10 times in total
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 am

Rofl is already Kindness.... >_<

Apologies Bronymous, I just thought you were being, y'know, snarky.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:19 am

Moved all pictures and character sheets to the front of this thread.

Zarhon, when the amulet went into the coffin, was there any change in Horizon's satchel or his paralysis?
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 am

Uh.... yeah. I can't stomach playing with Lynt if he's killing my game because he suddenly decided to be emo about his character instead of hanging around and seeing if things get better like I've done with this game time and time again (and been more or less right to stick around).
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:53 am

No, Horizons satchel pulling and paralysis remain unaffected. Forgot to add him being pulled further in fact. Oh well.

Also he can still try to break free / be broken free through other means.

Ramsus wrote:Uh.... yeah. I can't stomach playing with Lynt if he's killing my game because he suddenly decided to be emo about his character instead of hanging around and seeing if things get better like I've done with this game time and time again (and been more or less right to stick around).

...What? Care to elaborate?

Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:03 am

Well, don't know if you've noticed but, I was running my own D&D game. We had four players, Lynt, Bronymous, Xel Unknown, and Brony 7 of 9. They ended up choosing a quest that didn't turn out so well for them (in their opinion so far, which is jumping the gun quite a bit) because they ignored clues and charged forwards without investigating. Lynt now feels like his character is sad badperson who everything is their fault (despite every decision having been a group decision) or something and is emo-quitting. This completely kills my game as it'd be hard to run with just 3 players (and I'd already been trying and failing to find a fifth for a while so I already know we're not getting any replacements at this point) and it would be incredibly difficult to logically explain why his character vanished and still move events along in a way that made any sense.

As such, it'd be really hard for me to play a game with him in any way that wasn't incredibly disruptive as I find such self-centered shorts-sightedness frankly disgusting in an RPer. We all put a good amount of work into the game and him quitting because things aren't going well for his character (in his opinion) at this very moment is just a huge slap in the face to all of us, especially since there's no way he couldn't have known it would kill the game.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:33 am

...Alright, let's talk.

I guess I could say that I wasn't completely honest with you, Ramsus. Part of the problem was my expectations when I was starting your game. I didn't expect that one of the first missions would be a high-stakes backstab. I didn't expect that one of the first missions COULD be a high-stakes backstab. But you were right, we didn't look at the clues as thoroughly as he should have. That was my bad.

However, the primary thing that was turning me off of your game was the incident in the alley. The fact that our quest-giver for our first quest of the campaign had lied to us was an interesting twist. The fact that said quest-giver then said, "F*** you, you're on your own" was...harder to swallow. But the freaking trained kid mob just seemed to be you, the DM, laughing in our faces by taking something from us we didn't even know we had and not giving us a SINGLE CLUE remaining. That was what hit me the most: that I felt that you didn't want us to win AT ALL, that our primary response to any threat that we encounter was either run away, or just accept that you're going to lose and that there is no way you can hit back when someone hurts you.

However, seeing your answer to Zarhon shows me that you actually care about the campaign and aren't "out to get us." So I'm willing to give this another go.
I'm going to post Skaimos' LL sheet in the OOC character thread in a few minutes.
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:00 am

Right, responded to that in the OOC thread for that game.... so.... where were we?
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Rolls:

Jeraylia "assist" ->13 + 8 (Bow Chicka) = 21
Bag resistance -> 5

Jeraylia's... assistance... causes Rolf to push with a slight bit more effort. It's still not enough to push the coffin, however: More humanoidpower is needed. Meanwhile, Horizon succeeds in resisting the force of the bag, preventing him from toppling over. In addition, he succeeds in regaining control of one of his legs. He realizes that stabbing it earlier may not have been a very smart thing to do, as he suddenly regains pain sensitivity in it.

Want me to keep rolling for your repeated pushing attempts?
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Yeah, that'd be good. Also, lol.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:00 am

Yeah, you can roll for me. That way I don't have to cringe every time I use the online dice roller.
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 am

Yeah feeling lazy feel free to roll, once LL starts I am using my IRL d20s.
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: