Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Nehiel Mori on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:46 am

kajisora wrote:
AppkesGelatinousCubeBait wrote:That was a moment ago
And I can also do THIS

I have a possible suggestion for explorer:
Why did it have to be snakes?
Name a specific situation or creature that you absolutely detest.
Whenever you are in contact with the specified creature or situation, you gain an automatic +15 to any skill checks made to solve, survive or escape your predicament.
The condition has to be specific (snakes, bears, opera), and the action has to directly affect whatever you are trying to get away from. No getting a bonus to running speed for claustrophobia if you are running INTO the confining tunnels

Ah, good, someone suggested the idea I was already thinking about. Except a bit more vague. Solution: buff it
avatar
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Posts : 160
Join date : 2012-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Zarhon on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:03 pm

I can see several problems with the snakes destiny bonus:

1) Choosing something like "ponies" or, or another highly common creature or situation may cause the talent to abused/exploited. Consider someone playing a changeling, using this destiny to pick "ponies". They could argue that everything they do ends up "avoiding ponies" and get a nigh-permanent +15 bonus to everything they do.

2) No matter which creature/object/situation you choose, you can't actually benefit or use this destiny until the DM allows you to, by providing said situation. If you choose something like "griffon" or "opera", and the DM doesn't add those into the campaign, you end up with a completely useless destiny. Most of the other destinies can be used regularly, without relying on a purely specific situation, or the situation can be provided by the player himself, or crop up in the form of special rolling mechanics.

3) It forces the DM to include said situation/creature, purely to make the destiny not-useless, which can be difficult, especially for "situations" (why would anyone need to deal with opera?). Alternately, you might end up with said creature/situation cropping up everywhere, every time, even when logic doesn't make sense for them to be there, purely to humor the player.

4) Vagueness of how you can use it: Even when confronted with the creature/situation at hand, you need to be in a position to "solve" or "avoid" it (or a "in trouble" situation, at least). You can't, for instance get a bonus for scamming/robbing/conversing with shopkeeper of a detested race, if they don't do anything bad to you, or have no reason to avoid them.

5) It gives you a "character flaw" that you, for some reason, are an expert at dealing without penalty, yet also hate/detest and have reason to avoid. And ironically, the situation you wish to avoid will probably be guaranteed to show up, now that its on your character sheet. Is this what a destiny ability would involve?

6) The talent still feels unoriginal and boring, as it still works like freaky knowledge. You don't get any unique benefits from the situations, other than a slightly better roll (which can still crit fail) and you can't use/benefit from it outside of specific circumstances, which only the DM can supply.

7) Mixed feeling on what the flavor of this talent actually has to do with the explorer destiny. If were using Indiana Jones as a basis for this destiny, it gives two options:
a) Indiana Jones has "snakes" picked for the destiny. He doesn't deal with them any better than normally, though, it feels more like a flaw (heck, he probably got penalties instead).
b) Indiana Jones has "Nazi's" chosen as his situation, and actually is very good at dealing with them. But Nazi's aren't the only thing he deals with (Evil cults, Communists, trapped temples...), so that only partially fits. It feels as though Indie chose a different "I hate X" situation for each movie.

Maybe the destiny should have the player choosing a new "detestable" situation on demand, under daily/session limits? So, for instance, if they chose "undead" at session one, deal with undead for a while, and then encounter dragons a few sessions later, they can switch it over to dragons to deal with them more effectively?

Alternately, the player picks something "detestable" each session, while the previous picks stay for the rest of the campaign: They get better in dealing with more fields of trouble, as the adventure goes on. This would probably be too overpowered/broken to actually implement, however.

avatar
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Gender : Male
Posts : 3531
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Nehiel Mori on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Oh no, I'm not putting that idea in at all purely because it's to vague. That's something we don't want in the system. However something along the lines of that is my current idea
avatar
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Posts : 160
Join date : 2012-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  kajisora on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Zarhon wrote:I can see several problems with the snakes destiny bonus:
I disagree on #1, but the rest I must sadly concede...
The changeling in that example would only get that bonus if he were actually trying to get away from ponies; not if he was trying to live amonst them or say, trying to avoid towns.
There could even be a limiter on the ability: the more checks you make in a given period that apply for the bonus, the lower it gets, until they eventually become negative, due to the PC going into a panic.
I really like the idea of a pc aqcuiring new "detestables"/phobias, getting progressively more and more terrified of the world as the adventure goes on...
But yeah, it would probably become OP very soon.
avatar
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 719
Join date : 2012-10-15
Age : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Zarhon on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:18 pm

A pegasus with fear of "the ground", or "falling". Free +15 flying bonus. Very Happy

avatar
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Gender : Male
Posts : 3531
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Demonu on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:30 pm

I really like the idea of a pc aqcuiring new "detestables"/phobias, getting progressively more and more terrified of the world as the adventure goes on...
Seems counterproductive to the whole gaining levels, becoming better adventurers over time and being heroes thing...

Destinies are supposed to be awe inspiring. One that makes you become more afraid of more things over time doesn't scream 'awesome' in my opinon.
avatar
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 699
Join date : 2012-07-18
Age : 27
Location : Belgium

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Jason Shadow on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Zarhon wrote:A pegasus with fear of "the ground", or "falling". Free +15 flying bonus. Very Happy

Well, a free +15 bonus in gaining altitude...
avatar
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Gender : Male
Posts : 244
Join date : 2012-07-18
Age : 22
Location : Barely outside your field of vision

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Philadelphus on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:19 am

Zarhon wrote:A pegasus with fear of "the ground", or "falling". Free +15 flying bonus. Very Happy
Or more likely, a +15 bonus to "keeping your hooves firmly on the ground, where you will never have to worry about falling". Smile
avatar
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Gender : Male
Posts : 734
Join date : 2012-07-18
Age : 29
Location : Hilo, Hawai‘i

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Appkes on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 pm

I guess a fear of the ground magnetises you to it then.
avatar
Appkes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Posts : 671
Join date : 2012-08-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Philadelphus on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:09 am

I was just looking over the destinies in the Book of Fate, and the level 7 for the Plansewalker destiny caught my eye. Your plane is "barely a mile in diameter", and each day you can spend an hour "altering the structure of 100 cubic feet of the plane".

Math time!

1 mile = 5280 feet, so the area of the disk equals (5280/2)2∙pi≈21895644 square feet.
The cube root of 100 is approximately 4.64, so 100 cubic feet has a footprint of 4.642 feet, or 21.5 square feet. Dividing that area into the area of the plane gives ~1016305, which at one day per area means it would take 2784 years, working on it every day, to fully transform the plane. (And that's not getting into the fact that you can also spend the day to "increase the diameter by a hundred feet".)

Soooo...obviously, you're going to hit level 10 long before this happens, and the sky's the limit then, but I can't help thinking that 100 cubic feet is an awfully small amount. I just measured my room and got a value of 1040 cubic feet, so even if we assume that ponies are smaller than humans it's still going to take a few days to even construct some sort of rudimentary shelter.

I don't plan to take the talent and I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining about it, I'm just wondering if this value should perhaps be upped a little.
avatar
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Gender : Male
Posts : 734
Join date : 2012-07-18
Age : 29
Location : Hilo, Hawai‘i

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Zarhon on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Philadelphus wrote:I was just looking over the destinies in the Book of Fate, and the level 7 for the Plansewalker destiny caught my eye. Your plane is "barely a mile in diameter", and each day you can spend an hour "altering the structure of 100 cubic feet of the plane".

Math time!

1 mile = 5280 feet, so the area of the disk equals (5280/2)2∙pi≈21895644 square feet.
The cube root of 100 is approximately 4.64, so 100 cubic feet has a footprint of 4.642 feet, or 21.5 square feet. Dividing that area into the area of the plane gives ~1016305, which at one day per area means it would take 2784 years, working on it every day, to fully transform the plane. (And that's not getting into the fact that you can also spend the day to "increase the diameter by a hundred feet".)

Soooo...obviously, you're going to hit level 10 long before this happens, and the sky's the limit then, but I can't help thinking that 100 cubic feet is an awfully small amount. I just measured my room and got a value of 1040 cubic feet, so even if we assume that ponies are smaller than humans it's still going to take a few days to even construct some sort of rudimentary shelter.

I don't plan to take the talent and I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining about it, I'm just wondering if this value should perhaps be upped a little.

Perhaps it should be level-reliant, much like how fabricate is? That way the limit is upped gradually as they go along, before being finally removed at lvl 10.
avatar
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Gender : Male
Posts : 3531
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Destiny Expansion - The Book of Fate

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum