Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Zarhon on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Whiteeyes wrote:Player A, B, C, D

And if you add to this player E: A character emulating Minsc: Strong willed (as in, determined in mind), strong body, but utterly insane/foolish otherwise (low common/horse sense) and no schooling (low arcana/knowledge).

How do you build that? You're kinda forced into building a stereotypical "stupid as hell, no common sense, easily manipulated, weak willed powerhouse (something like an ogre)"
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Personally I'm of the type that ALL stats can be used for ANYTHING if you can justify to make logical sense with your character and stuff.
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Willpower:

I'd say its in the wording, and just use saving throws:
If the magic compulsion is something you normally would do anyways, no save. If it's something that you would do with a few minutes of convincing normally, make a saving throw at a -5 penalty. If it's a pure order, standard save. If its blatantly out of your normal (let alone best) interests, have a +5 bonus on the save. Non-combat charm spells can't invoke self-destructive orders, which fills out the array with an auto-save.

This game is very fluff-heavy and mentally partitioned between its parts, so I know using a saving throw isn't perfect, but I think it would suffice. This way, the situation depends on the mental dominion: Making the strong knight volunteer to slay the dragon would offer no save, he would do it anyways, willpower be damned. Making the cowardly rogue volunteer, though, that's a +5 on his saving throw. The compassionate cleric would probably be at a penalty and the selfish wizard with no modifier on the roll. The dragon, to fill out the queue, would automatically succeed in resisting volunteering to kill itself unless the order was worded VERY carefully.

I played a lot of casters in D&D. The first rule of Charm spells is that even if you're a wizard, it's a charisma-based spell. You need to convince them. Even domination needs convincing, but the magic addles their mind making the convincing much simpler and easier.

An in-canon example of this happening is Discord. He is trying to get the Mane 6 to turn negative. He is using strong mind-influencing magic. Obviously, none of the orders were self-destructive. Applejack had to have an illusion before she would listen to the spell, putting her down from "best interests" territory to an even save, and failing. Rainbow Dash will always run to help her friends, she'd be at a -5, or even an auto-fail if the illusion was convincing enough. Fluttershy is not mean. She is at +5. But you see Discord, he doesn't play fair with per-day abilities. His are at-will. He uses his spell on her no less than four times before it "catches", giving that 1/4 chance of it working a good shake.

As for my own question, it relates to "other uses for Ponykinesis", above: I've been using it with no problem in-campaign as "Can exert 10 pounds of force", rather than "lift ten pound object". A door is much heavier than 10 pounds, but pushing on it with ponykinesis, you should be able to open one that doesn't have a latch. Precise Ponykinesis then would be much more useful with this interpretation, as you can tickle ten ponies with one pound of force at once! Can it be interpreted as the former definition, or is it purely the latter?
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Question: Is there a possibility for an alternate version of the "This is Whining!" talent, one that doesn't require a cutie mark/expert skill to function? Pony Tales races without a cutie mark lose out on this talent since they can't use it (unless they invest 2 genetics points for a cutie mark), but LL characters can use it just fine (and they only lose 1 genetics point total, compared to pony tales characters).

Also, the wording on the talent is outdated (expert skill, and no listed prerequisite for a cutie mark).

This is Whining!:
This is Whining! – 1/Day
Trigger – You roll a natural 1 on your Expert Skill.
Effect: Treat the check as though you had rolled a natural 20.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:38 pm

*facehoof* Zarhon, the end result is always going to be the same amount of racial points for both systems.

I don't much see a reason for that to change. Some talents only effect other things you have, why not stuff for just cutie marks?
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Would it be alright if I created something called the Monster Template? It's a document I'm making right now that will hopefully standardize what monsters look like as people make them. It will act as a guideline for people designing monsters. After all it can get kind of annoying when you come across a neat monster, but it's stats are in different spots than where they should be, or a particular piece of information is missing.

I figure it would be nice to get this out before we eventually release to EQD.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:57 pm

SilentBelle wrote:Would it be alright if I created something called the Monster Template? It's a document I'm making right now that will hopefully standardize what monsters look like as people make them. It will act as a guideline for people designing monsters. After all it can get kind of annoying when you come across a neat monster, but it's stats are in different spots than where they should be, or a particular piece of information is missing.

YES. This is something I've put off doing forever. It would be awesome to have it down.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:25 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
SilentBelle wrote:Would it be alright if I created something called the Monster Template? It's a document I'm making right now that will hopefully standardize what monsters look like as people make them. It will act as a guideline for people designing monsters. After all it can get kind of annoying when you come across a neat monster, but it's stats are in different spots than where they should be, or a particular piece of information is missing.

YES. This is something I've put off doing forever. It would be awesome to have it down.

I'm about half way there, though I gotta run my Living Legends game right now. I'll post it when I finish it under the monster section Very Happy
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:26 pm

SilentBelle wrote:After all it can get kind of annoying when you come across a neat monster, but it's stats are in different spots than where they should be, or a particular piece of information is missing.

Uh-oh. I'm not one of the offenders, am I? XP
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Am I an offender?
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Don't worry, you guys are fine, it's more for the more people to come.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteeyes on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:04 pm

I'll be sure to use it for the cullenaromancer and his creations I'm working on...yeah I'm kinda crazy.
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:15 pm

SilentBelle wrote:Don't worry, you guys are fine, it's more for the more people to come.

Oh good. :relieved:
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:17 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:
SilentBelle wrote:Don't worry, you guys are fine, it's more for the more people to come.

Oh good. :relieved:
:ditto:
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:41 pm

kajisora wrote:
The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:"Nay. We gave thee one final chance. Thou hast wasted enough of Our time. Prepare to DIE, foals!" yells Nightmare Moon.
PLEAZZE! I don't want my family to DIE!
Last Resort!
Loyalty on Nightmare Moon!

Loyalty
Big Adventure - Magic
Remove all mind-affecting effects from you and all allies in sight. (This works for psychic, intimidation, fear, mind-control… anything that affects the minds of the characters.)
(Busy views her as a potential ally. Hope that's enough)

Does this fall under the purview of Loyalty? Or is the fact that NMM's about to try to kill them all keep her out of that range?
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:48 pm

That's up to DM discretion and it can further be interpreted that NMM is her own individual - not just a mind-altered Luna. As a DM, I'd give them a significant boost to any diplomacy rolls with her, like a +20, for using this power - but wouldn't make it an auto-success.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:48 pm

You realize none of us not playing whatever game that is have no context for that right? It'd really be up to the GM if they think Nightmare Moon counts as an ally to the party (or at least that member of it) or not.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Personally I say given that fact your campaign is dealing with Discord. It'd totally work... But not turn Nightmare Moon back to Luna, just have her mind realize that she's being played.

As long as the user of Loyality sees who they're trying to help as an ally I'm sure that's how it's meant to work.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:That's up to DM discretion and it can further be interpreted that NMM is her own individual - not just a mind-altered Luna. As a DM, I'd give them a significant boost to any diplomacy rolls with her, like a +20, for using this power - but wouldn't make it an auto-success.

Got it.
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:37 am

Two questions.

1. With things like Rat form(Something I hope to take for my thief) what happens with your items? I'd assume, because it doesn't say otherwise, that they don't shift with you. But I'm probably wrong.

2. With Stealth mode it stats "You become invisible for the next five minutes or until you attack. While you are invisible, you gain a +10 bonus to your stealth checks." Does this mean you are actually invisible? Again probably a stupid question but I thought I'd ask before I did something really dumb.

Thanks!
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:53 am

Hayatecooper wrote:Two questions.

1. With things like Rat form(Something I hope to take for my thief) what happens with your items? I'd assume, because it doesn't say otherwise, that they don't shift with you. But I'm probably wrong.

2. With Stealth mode it stats "You become invisible for the next five minutes or until you attack. While you are invisible, you gain a +10 bonus to your stealth checks." Does this mean you are actually invisible? Again probably a stupid question but I thought I'd ask before I did something really dumb.

Thanks!

1) It probably works like with druids/changelings, as in, your items (combat stuff, saddlebags, clothing) "shift" with you (fusing with your form, becoming unusable until you shift back). Otherwise the talent (and any other shapeshifting racial and such) becomes more cumbersome than it should be (by having dolphin form have your items sink to the bottom of the ocean, or the other forms having leaving you itemless/clothless after you shift back, or being forced to leave your items in somepony's care, or abandon them in middle of a hostile area...). And in the LL version of the game, you end up naked after each use (or your clothes get ripped due to transforming into a non-humanoid form of drastically different size. And then the shape-shifter destiny suddenly becomes incredibly awkward.

2) I think it's viable to flavor. Maybe you turn into a background pony. Or gain a predator chameleon effect.

I'd like to add to the forms question though:

How does communication between allies, creatures or animals work in the various respective shapeshifting forms?

Do you get to communicate normally with your allies (i.e. talking like a pony in owl form, or rat form)? Or do you gain the ability to speak with other animals, at the cost of being able to speak with ponies (like how Fluttershy's animals and the Mane Six pets do). How do the animal communication talents work with the various forms? How does "Form of the Bull" work in this regard for Pony Tales, considering cows/bulls are sapient and can talk normally in pony tales?

Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Logan, please re-link these people our re-naming of of stuff. Apparently it was missed.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:53 pm

I've got it done already for him:
LoganAura wrote:Xel: You're worried about the flavor? All right. I got free time, so if Dan doesn't mind, I'm going to copy the two docs and edit them to be pony-y just for ya.

Talent Show: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xH9VjK2-IKvzCekDskVqPSGkY_azu6FAJNk4fhbjVkA/edit

Genetic Engineering: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ezcfyIjL4--MGGqwmOGXakX4cu44cYZNmmjTLyno0Dw/edit

Working on flavoring the things right now. If dan is rebalancing things, I'll work with that sometime over thanksgiving myself.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:57 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:Two questions.

Thanks!

1) Actually, they do shift with you unless you choose otherwise - but they're inaccessible while you're in rat-form.

2) The becoming invisible is the flavor, the +10 to stealth is the mechanical bonus for the talent. So, unless you choose otherwise, you're definitely invisible. Either way you get a +10 bonus to stealth.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:00 pm

If I use Alter Ego to become a timberwolf, Due to the 5 minute shift, would my weapons and combat be flavored around that or is it implied that I autoshift to my normal form?
(I personally like the idea of combat and weapon reflavoring.)

Saint Trotez: Where Snipe is paranoid and snarked at Snarl.
Satisfying Values (Hiatus): Mic is chasing after a Glitch.

Retired or inactive Games:
Too many to count.
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next