Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Xel The Medic wrote:Add a line saying that you are still KOed at 0 with Never Say Die... OR just add a note that knocked comatose isn't the same as being KOed. That's where the conufstion lies.

Odd, people think that comatose is the same as being knocked out? The rules on death and dying make it pretty clear. I think it's just because people are skim-reading, but a reminder will definitely make them slow down and remember. Good call.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Well more just remind people what it means... Yeah the rules on death are clear, but the "Knocked Comatose" line thanks to the fact it has "knocked" I think has made at least me think it of Never Say Die as an upgraded version of Die Another Day... So maybe turn out the "knocked" part will help avoid any confustion from people just glancing at the trait and stuff.
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Take a look at the added clarification. Does that help a bit?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Eyep... To me I mostly thought of it as KOed at 0, dead at -30... Forgot about the third factor of comatose (out of battle) at -15. That note hopefully will remind people like me about that combat status.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:31 am

Then glad we could clear this up. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:07 am

Stacking Status Effects question!

Vulnerability is simple for stacking: It doesn't, only the worst (highest) version of it stays on.
Damage Over Time is simple for stacking: You can do the same, or you can keep every source separate and make saves for "draw blood", "Ignite", and "bloodwand" separately at the end of your turn, slowly lowering the DoT as saves are made (I like this version, but I know some just do the "absolute highest" mode)

Stun, however, is harder:

If it's "just the worst", what is worse: Being stunned Save-Ends, or being Stunned with no save for two turns? If one or the other is decided as worse, could a party member inflict stun on an ally to undo the other type of stun if it was tactically wise to do so? (I am reminded here of Pokemon games where you would Paralyze your own pokemon in order to avoid the chance of it being Burned).

If it stacks, so while you're stunned you make your save against the save-ends one, but you're still stunned anyways from the other one (say, intimidated AND choking, or whatnot), it might seem sillier, but piling the abnormal status seems more logical here, even if the rules sometimes suggest only the "worst" one is taken. Just would like a ruling on that.
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:18 am

When you're stunned you can't be 'restunned' to have two stun effects going at once for insurance against the first ending. The most recent stun applied overwrites the other. For example, if the creature is currently stunned until the end of your buddy's next turn and you stun the creature (save ends) - the creature is now stunned (save ends) instead.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteeyes on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:50 am

So does that mean that if my friend is stuned for 5 turns and I hit him with a stun that ends after his mext turn I'd be able to save him a few turns of being stuned? Good deal.
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Shadow on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:26 am

That... actually makes some sense, from a narrative standpoint at least. It'd be like slapping some sense into him...
Jason Shadow
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:58 am

need clarification on the issue of three trained skills cutiemarks and we are just Good At This Stuff. Namely if no cutie mark equals 3 trainings,and if We're Just Good At This Stuff if an extra training or a training that all member of a race must take.

Your answers so far have been going against one another before the expanison you said that Races where not like in D&D where unicorns whould get +3 to arcana then you made We're Just Good At This Stuff then you said that you would "fix" it now you say that it gives free extra training in a particular skill is this to be for all members of a race? or is it just a poorly worded replacement for the three training?
tygerburningbright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Characters start with 2 Trainings
They can take a cutie mark racial, or an additional Training racial. (Cutie Mark or We're Just Good At This Stuff)

Saint Trotez: Where Snipe is paranoid and snarked at Snarl.
Satisfying Values (Hiatus): Mic is chasing after a Glitch.

Retired or inactive Games:
Too many to count.
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Whiteeyes wrote:So does that mean that if my friend is stuned for 5 turns and I hit him with a stun that ends after his mext turn I'd be able to save him a few turns of being stuned? Good deal.

I'd feel like slapping a DM who decides that using Stun (save ends) is a good choice Razz
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:46 pm

*prepares to get slapped even though it technically worked*

Too many to count.
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Here's a question: Siphon Life... First off why is it spelled 'Syphon Life' in the book?
[+1] Syphon Life
Deal 1d8 damage to target enemy. You or target ally gains that many hp.

More importantly. 'You or target ally gains that many hp.' So is this based on the damage you deal with that attack? Or is it based on the number on the die rolled? I'm pretty sure it's based on the damage which allows it to be great in certain combos.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:40 pm

I really hope it's the damage because.... yeah. Awesome combos.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Technically they're the old rules Ramsus. The rules you refer to were but a dream. Wink

But if you've broken the system, please explain how. =)
Sorry about how late this reply is (was on duty since Friday so first chance to post):

Daredevil's Rush
Royal Command
Judo Throw or Pincer Maneuver
It's Over
Furious Rage

Add in Crushing blow combat trait

On turn 1 you bloody yourself by gaining a decent number of pips, any 8s you roll have a chance to set off your giant chain reaction. Failing that, turn 2 you Furious rage, dropping 3d12 and having a solid 25% chance of getting any of your combat moves for free, and there is only a 20% chance of not getting something which will inevitably give at least a 25% chance of doing it again.

Basically, you've jacked up the chances of getting a specific move you want by 7.5% with this clarification, and made it so that a build which would be about as useful as using a cruise missile in a sword fight is suddenly made of awesome, win, and broketastic.

Related note:

What happens if I use quick tempo on someone who has already gone this round?

Last edited by thematthew on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Math error)
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:30 pm

LoganAura wrote:Characters start with 2 Trainings
They can take a cutie mark racial, or an additional Training racial. (Cutie Mark or We're Just Good At This Stuff)

Logan as much as I respect your input it does appear Dan has changed his ruleings.

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:The trait is just to give your race free extra training in a particular skill.

this whole change to We're Just Good At This Stuff confounds me why not just stay with three training that are picked by the player?
tygerburningbright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:34 pm

My understanding is that it does extra training akin to how "I've read all about it" works...
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Tiger, that's actually what it means...
OH!
I see, it's the phrasing "of your race" that's confusing you. Essentially I just think of it as "you pick another training" since that's what I'm sure he means. the 'of your race' is independent of the creator of the actual thing I think.

Too many to count.
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Whiteeyes wrote:So does that mean that if my friend is stuned for 5 turns and I hit him with a stun that ends after his next turn I'd be able to save him a few turns of being stunned? Good deal.

Absolutely. I like adding extra strategy into the mix. =)

tygerburningbright wrote:need clarification on the issue of three trained skills cutiemarks and we are just Good At This Stuff. Namely if no cutie mark equals 3 trainings,and if We're Just Good At This Stuff if an extra training or a training that all member of a race must take.

Your answers so far have been going against one another before the expanison you said that Races where not like in D&D where unicorns whould get +3 to arcana then you made We're Just Good At This Stuff then you said that you would "fix" it now you say that it gives free extra training in a particular skill is this to be for all members of a race? or is it just a poorly worded replacement for the three training?

Training is mechanically distinct from a generic "+3 to arcana" because training can't stack. You can't train a skill twice. So, while some of you might give an elf training in arcana for free, that doesn't suddenly mean that elves can be better mages than anyone else. The elf's free arcana training doesn't let them pump the skill check higher than any other race that wants to be a mage.

Let's examine a theoretical orc race that gets free training in athletics vs. a theoretical elf race that gets free training in arcana. Both want to be arcana masters. The orc takes training in Arcana and History as his normal skills while the elf takes training in History for the knowledge side and Athletics so he won't fail physical challenges. The elf and orc are clearly in the same place skill-wise as each-other.

Ironically, free training in a skill actually encourages versatility. Since this hypothetical elven mage doesn't have to spend its skill training on arcana, it gets it naturally, the mage can afford to spend the training on something else - like athletics or healing.

Does that clear things up?

Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:02 pm

so you are saying that for instance all zebras have to take training in say acrobatics even when the player does not want training in that skill... that just muddles the pot ever more.
tygerburningbright

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:06 pm

tygerburningbright wrote:so you are saying that for instance all zebras have to take training in say acrobatics even when the player does not want training in that skill... that just muddles the pot ever more.

And dear Celestia, think of the unicorn that *has* to take ponykinesis even if their player doesn't want that utility talent! Won't somebody please think of the unicorns?!

That's how racials work tyger. You get a template of abilities that come with your race. Luckily, there's this handy-dandy genetic engineering expansion that can let you fiddle with a race's abilities if you don't really like them in a balanced and fair way - subject to DM approval. pirat
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Now talking about the genetic engineering expansion, when is it going to be upgraded to a pure 8 point system, and when is ponykinisis getting it's 1 point set up? You just waiting till you get the upgrades for all the races ready before doing that or what? Cause last I checked you were really wanting to turn it into a pure 8 point system.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  elfowlgirl on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:20 pm

So if my friend and I were both hippogriffs... We'd both need to take training in the same skill?
elfowlgirl
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile http://elfowlgirl.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:20 pm

it does appear to be so
tygerburningbright

View user profile

Back to top Go down