Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:21 pm

I don't see why you think that dude... It more stikes me as saying you just get extra training... That'd be simpler to work with for the players.
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:25 pm

SilentBelle wrote:Here's a question: Siphon Life... First off why is it spelled 'Syphon Life' in the book?
[+1] Syphon Life
Deal 1d8 damage to target enemy. You or target ally gains that many hp.

More importantly. 'You or target ally gains that many hp.' So is this based on the damage you deal with that attack? Or is it based on the number on the die rolled? I'm pretty sure it's based on the damage which allows it to be great in certain combos.

We don't seem to have a good way to template this, but the life you gain is also keyed off the d8 and is separate from the damage dealt. The d8 basically tells you two different things, how much life you gain and how much damage you deal. If you try to add to your damage, that's fine, but it won't affect your life gain. Otherwise that would just be broken.

thematthew wrote:
Sorry about how late this reply is (was on duty since Friday so first chance to post):

Daredevil's Rush
Royal Command
Judo Throw or Pincer Maneuver
It's Over
Furious Rage

Add in Crushing blow combat trait

On turn 1 you bloody yourself by gaining a decent number of pips, any 8s you roll have a chance to set off your giant chain reaction. Failing that, turn 2 you Furious rage, dropping 3d12 and having a solid 25% chance of getting any of your combat moves for free, and there is only a 20% chance of not getting something which will inevitably give at least a 25% chance of doing it again.

Basically, you've jacked up the chances of getting a specific move you want by 7.5% with this clarification, and made it so that a build which would be about as useful as using a cruise missile in a sword fight is suddenly made of awesome, win, and broketastic.

Related note:

What happens if I use quick tempo on someone who has already gone this round?

I'm not exactly sure how this is broken. You need to jack up your Daredevil's Rush to a +8 to have an expected value of triggering that special, which deals a lot of damage to you. If an opponent doesn't drop you unconscious before your turn rolls around again, you still only have a 25% chance of activating your special. Then you have only a 3/5 chance of getting something ridiculously awesome. Taken together, that's only about a 15% chance of blowing things up with an ultimate. But let's imagine it triggers, "It's Over". It's Over does an average of 78 damage to a single target. It should also trigger your roulette again, which is great, but we're going to ignore that for now - because it roughly balances out with the fact we're *assuming* you get an It's Over as your super-special rather than one of the other two ultimates. Now, that 15% chance of an, "It's Over" is actually only 11.7 damage... Or a little more than 2d10. That's a nice damage boost to slap on top of a furious rage for sure, but the fact it's not at all reliable, the danger inherent in the combo from dealing ridiculous damage to yourself with Daredevil's Rush and the fact that monsters also get to do mean things sometimes like Misdirect attacks means that I wouldn't be worried about it in any campaign I ran.

However, it's a very cool combo and some items could be used to make it a powerful and less risky option. If it does turn out to be too powerful, it will probably be the final nail in daredevil rush's coffin. I've been expecting that power to be broken ever since I made it. Just no one has *quite* broken it entirely yet.

Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:30 pm

elfowlgirl wrote:So if my friend and I were both hippogriffs... We'd both need to take training in the same skill?

Not for that racial trait, no. However, some people building races want to use skill trainings to demonstrate that some races have inherrent skills at things. It's just a flavor use of the training that some race-creators might want to include. As a hippogriff, you can take whatever trainings you want, as its made clear in its template that you can take anything. If it was meant to be one specific training, like acrobatics, it would read "You gain training in acrobatics".

Xel The Medic wrote:Now talking about the genetic engineering expansion, when is it going to be upgraded to a pure 8 point system, and when is ponykinisis getting it's 1 point set up? You just waiting till you get the upgrades for all the races ready before doing that or what? Cause last I checked you were really wanting to turn it into a pure 8 point system.

I'm going to do this when I get some time to really go over the system leisurely and in-depth. Don't want to try to do a rushed job in the middle of studying for my finals. You guys deserve better than that. sunny
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Cool, just wanted to make sure that the update fix to the racial system was still coming... Just something more important was in the way is all. I feel better learning that. :3

Best of luck with your finals dude.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Say... do you guys have a Monster Manual on the way? Just curious, I've been looking forward to it for a while Very Happy Also will there be some sort of monster rating system? How will new players know how many monsters to use when they start GMing? I mean I use a 1-10 slider for encounters in the monster arena (1 = It's unfathomable that you could lose, and 10 = you can't win no matter the luck involved, and 5 has been the target for great battles for a group of 5 unequip level 1 ponies), but for a monster-by-monster basis I wonder what the best way to go about rating them is...
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:33 pm

You guys really need to stop thinking of the racials setups as "this is how it is for every member of the race". To start with, the description of PCs outright says that they are atypical members of their race. You can't have "the typical atypical member of your race", it doesn't make sense. They're just examples of what the race might "normally" look like. Even NPCs of that same race are unlikely to have all the same racials if you were to actually mechanically build every NPC you ran across.

So, no. If your buddy makes a Hypowalrus and takes Ponykinesis, Naturally Skilled, Cutie Mark, and Best of the Breed, that in no way means you can't make one with different traits. It just means one of you is making a member of that race who is more different than the average member of that race. If the only difference is something minor like what skill you gain extra training in, that's such a minor difference that you'd probably fit in with several NPC members of that race who also don't have the typical aptitude in that skill (assuming NPCs of that race are even treated as having any special aptitude in any skills at all).
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Stairc, the problem isn't Daredevil's Rush though. It's Derpy's Lightning. None of the other specials in combination with it approach anywhere near the same levels of insanity.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks Xel! sunny

SilentBelle wrote:Say... do you guys have a Monster Manual on the way? Just curious, I've been looking forward to it for a while Very Happy Also will there be some sort of monster rating system? How will new players know how many monsters to use when they start GMing? I mean I use a 1-10 slider for encounters in the monster arena (1 = It's unfathomable that you could lose, and 10 = you can't win no matter the luck involved, and 5 has been the target for great battles for a group of 5 unequip level 1 ponies), but for a monster-by-monster basis I wonder what the best way to go about rating them is...

Yeah, my secret sorrow is that I haven't built a monster manual yet. I was all excited to do it ever since the second week after the system's release... But somehow I found out I just can't get excited about designing monsters. It's doubly-damning, because I can design them easily just minutes before my players reach the encounter - and they're fun, nasty, wicked creatures to fight. My reliance on this quick design means that I don't have a huge motivation to build them in advance, and with so many more players looking forward to more cool character-building options than DMs hungry for more monsters, there hasn't been enough demand yet to pull it out of me. This also goes for just approving monsters others have made, it's not as fun to me as approving new talents, items and such. Think about how excited everyone was to see new destinies.

That said, I know that the few monsters I made for the DM's Guide aren't enough and we do need a huge collection of them. Luckily, the community has built a lot too. I'm sure we'll come out with a monster manual eventually. I just need to set my other stuff aside for a few days (and I do have a LOT of other stuff).

Ramsus wrote:Stairc, the problem isn't Daredevil's Rush though. It's Derpy's Lightning. None of the other specials in combination with it approach anywhere near the same levels of insanity.

Daredevil's Rush actually is what pushes the build closer to, "maybe just a bit too powerful". It bloodies you instantly, so you don't have to play suboptimally for several turns until you are bloodied, and it gives you enough pips to just activate one of your ultimates the normal way. It's the Dark Ritual to the Hypnotic Specter (MTG reference).
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Just outsorce it dude! Pick out the best of the best of all the monsters, like my clockwork alicorns. And put them together in one place?
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:49 pm

Xel The Medic wrote:Just outsorce it dude! Pick out the best of the best of all the monsters, like my clockwork alicorns. And put them together in one place?

That's the idea. =)

Thing is, it takes a lot of time to go over all the great designs while making sure they're balanced and fun. I've got to evaluate all of them mathematically and go over the combinations to make sure they're at appropriate strength while also making sure they're cool and fun. All told, it takes almost as much work as designing them from scratch - though I do get to draw from your wicked-cool ideas (those clockwork alicorns are amazing!). A lot of the talents and destinies you see with other peoples' names on them have actually been heavily modified from their original versions - but I like to give people credit for the core idea and development process anyway.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:52 pm

Colab with Slentbelle, he's the one that tests monsters after all. XD

Trust his judgement I'd say.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Definitely going to collaborate with silentbelle, that work's been amazing, but I've also got to go through and approve all the content in the system myself for now. It helps a lot in these types of projects to have someone going through all the content and making sure it works well together.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:01 pm

I'll do what I can to offer as many crazy monster ideas as I can. I've been coming up with a lot of weird combat ideas with this swat team boss monster team. Totally going to be building more combat monesters with traits and combat skills like the ones I'm building.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Xel The Medic wrote:I'll do what I can to offer as many crazy monster ideas as I can. I've been coming up with a lot of weird combat ideas with this swat team boss monster team. Totally going to be building more combat monesters with traits and combat skills like the ones I'm building.

Awesome. Looking forward to it Xel. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
I'm not exactly sure how this is broken. You need to jack up your Daredevil's Rush to a +8 to have an expected value of triggering that special, which deals a lot of damage to you. If an opponent doesn't drop you unconscious before your turn rolls around again, you still only have a 25% chance of activating your special. Then you have only a 3/5 chance of getting something ridiculously awesome. Taken together, that's only about a 15% chance of blowing things up with an ultimate. But let's imagine it triggers, "It's Over". It's Over does an average of 78 damage to a single target. It should also trigger your roulette again, which is great, but we're going to ignore that for now - because it roughly balances out with the fact we're *assuming* you get an It's Over as your super-special rather than one of the other two ultimates. Now, that 15% chance of an, "It's Over" is actually only 11.7 damage... Or a little more than 2d10. That's a nice damage boost to slap on top of a furious rage for sure, but the fact it's not at all reliable, the danger inherent in the combo from dealing ridiculous damage to yourself with Daredevil's Rush and the fact that monsters also get to do mean things sometimes like Misdirect attacks means that I wouldn't be worried about it in any campaign I ran.

However, it's a very cool combo and some items could be used to make it a powerful and less risky option. If it does turn out to be too powerful, it will probably be the final nail in daredevil rush's coffin. I've been expecting that power to be broken ever since I made it. Just no one has *quite* broken it entirely yet.

Actually the point of the build is to get bloodied on turn 1, and possibly set off crazyness, then round 2 if it didn't set off crazyness they then just throw a large pile of damage, the design of it was such that it has a 20% chance of doing It's Over, and actually a 60% chance of hitting Furious Rage (Pincer = FR + other party member atack, Royal = FR +4 other attacks) Your worst case scenario is hitting Daredevil again. Once you add in crushing blow things go even further off the deep end, since you get an extra d12 every time you hit a special move moving you to a rather absurd 33% chance of getting a second special move if you procced a 'free' Furious Rage.

Hell, if you get a party member to give you a good amount of temp hp (11 would be fine) You can DDR for a ridiculous number of pips, still survive, and ensure you are bloodied.

I'm not saying that the build is just broken, I'm saying that it can only stand with Derpy's Lightning as written and makes combat no fun for anyone.

Also still waiting on Quick Tempo Ruling
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Oh hey, that reminds me:

The wording on temporary hp makes it somewhat unclear does losing temp hp count as taking damage for effects like daredevil's rush, perfect focus, or condemn?
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:18 pm

thematthew wrote:I'm not saying that the build is just broken, I'm saying that it can only stand with Derpy's Lightning as written and makes combat no fun for anyone.

Really? Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Seeing one of my players trigger It's Over off a desperate Derpy's Lightning in a critical situation is one of the coolest things I've seen regarding specials... And the players naturally loved it even more. But if it's not broken and it's not fun, why would you play it? In that case, it wouldn't be a problem. And adding the other version of derpy's lightning, the more broken one, would make things more powerful and get rid of the incentive to have your other three combat talents here be different enough to let you play a more versatile build when you don't want to crit-fish off Derpy's Lightning.

thematthew wrote:Also still waiting on Quick Tempo Ruling

If ally 1 goes directly before you and you cast quick tempo, they'll get another turn when they go directly after you... But their turn after that will take a bit longer to come around.

thematthew wrote:Oh hey, that reminds me:

The wording on temporary hp makes it somewhat unclear does losing temp hp count as taking damage for effects like daredevil's rush, perfect focus, or condemn?

Currently, temporary hp prevents you from taking damage. This is one combo that makes Perfect Focus absolutely insane. Another power I've been long planning to nerf in the next expansion... But since people really love it and no DMs have complained about it yet, I haven't touched it for now. It's also a power you can get past as a DM pretty easily by just upping the damage monsters deal.

Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:17 am

Could you take Applejack of All Trades three times to get +3 in all untrained skills, essentially giving yourself training in every skill? Or does it not stack?
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:28 am

I'm pretty sure you can only take Utility talents once unless it says otherwise.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

I don't know if this has been asked here yet, so sorry if redundant question is redundant, but here goes...

How does stacking work as far as Draw Blood/Ignite/Other possible DoT's go? Is it just 'worst one sticks,' 'Each player gets one,' 'One of each,' what? I ask because my current TT group may need different PiP builders than Draw Blood depending on how it works. (3 pips! 3! I can spam all kinda of painful danmaku patterns berserker attacks with that many!)
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:47 am

Highest wins out. Definitely not stacking.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:47 am

Well, no matter the answer, a fizzled effect still provides/costs the pips.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:48 am

Alright, needed to make sure. Thanks.
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:51 am

Though, I don't recall the answer for how DoTs stack either. Personally, and I'm not sure this isn the official answer, is that I'd have it be that the same effect (say Ignite) doesn't stack but uses the worst but, the multiple different DoTs do, since they are all technically separate effects.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:57 am

Here's something I though was odd.

Feline Grace (1)
You take no damage from falls.

Graceful Form (2)
You take half damage from falls and gain +2 to acrobatics.

I thought this was a bit odd. Was the +2 to acrobatics really that strong to warrant a an extra racial trait?

What would happen if a character took both traits? Is it the best of both traits? No damage from falls and +2 to acrobatics?
Cardbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next