Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+35
Pingcode
Lyntermas
Lifeforce
Fury of the Tempest
Yawnmon
Z2
Azureink
sunbeam
Doc pseudopolis
A1C Bronymous
Kindulas
Nehiel Mori
Dr Blight
Grey Pen The Flawed
Videocrazy
Hayatecooper
The Warrior of Many Faces
Cardbo
Caden2112
Philadelphus
Whiteeyes
RavenscroftRaven
elfowlgirl
LoganAura
Paper Shadow
Appkes
SilentBelle
tygerburningbright
thematthew
Xel Unknown
Jason Shadow
Zarhon
AProcrastinatingWriter
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
39 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 35 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Possibly because meditate at [-1] creates broken combos far too easily.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 35 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Augments the broken combo, in this case, and it went from 2 turns to 3 turns. I'd say that's a fair trade off. Shaving off 2d12 from the end of it doesn't accomplish much, especially when

Rapid Recovery
At the beginning of your turn, if you have less than 4 pips you gain 1 pip.

can be used to rectify it.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:57 pm

If you feel it can be easily rectified, then you probably don't need to worry about the change.

However, I've seen a great many builds in playtesting (and built them myself) that abused the -1 version repeated to ridiculous proportions. Changing it to -2 makes it harder to use repeatedly, which helps get the really abusive builds under control.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:23 am

Lightning Reflexes should probably also help re-able a few Meditate combos.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:09 am

Dan, you mentioned once or twice that Living Legends had extra virtues compared to Pony Tales elements. Are those ever going to be revealed/offered/added to the Pony Tales Module. If not, can you direct me to them anyways?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:27 am

Ok, another quick question: if you have Slashback (Trigger – A creature hits you with an attack; Effect - Deal 1d12 damage to the triggering creature) and Spiked Armor(Trigger - An enemy deals damage to you; Effect - Deal 3 damage to the triggering enemy) and an enemy hits you with an attack that deals damage, do you get to trigger both (assuming you have enough PiPs)? Specifically, are being hit by an attack and taking damage two different triggers? (Since you could theoretically be hit by an attack, but take no damage if you had a high enough Resist.)

@sunbeam: Here's a link to the Living Legends handbook, which contains the Virtues.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:26 pm

I have a bunch of questions, in regards to the "Personal Project" racial...

Personal Project original description:

1 ) How does the "Personal Project" racial treat "passive" utilities, or utilities that don't offer a distinct 1/day or MP costing "use" or "trigger" (like derp, or freaky knowledge...)? When can such talents trigger the explosion roll, if they can at all?

2 ) The racial's wording isn't clear on how talents with X/Day uses, or talents that cost a Magic Point are treated: Do they still have their daily limits and respective MP cost, or are they "free to use", limited only by the project risking an explosion on each use?

3 ) Is it possible to have the personal project given to/operated/activated by a creature other than you (e.g. another party member, NPC, or other creature), or otherwise activated "remotely"?

4 ) Can the explosion be "avoided", or "diminished" with a certain degree of preparation or other methods (e.g. blast suits, force-fields)?

5 ) As an item, can the project be confiscated, lost, or stolen? Would recovering the object in such a case require just an extended rest, or finding the missing object again?

6 ) Can the explosion roll (both the d100, and the damage rolls to wielder/others) be affected by die re-rolling, or skill check re-rolling abilities?

7 ) Can you intentionally forgo the explosion roll and force the talent to fail / project to explode, or use a roll-affecting ability (e.g. Jinx) with such a purpose?

8 ) When rolling for damage, are the "wielder" and "others within 50 feet" 2d20 rolls separate (allowing for a situation where the wielder takes less damage than those around him), or are they rolled once and shared for both (meaning it's 2d20 damage for all, and you add +10 to the wielder)?

9 ) Do talents you pick with your "Personal Project" count towards being prerequisites to your normal talents (e.g. taking a "spectral battering ram" with the personal project, and then a "spectral tsunami" via leveling)

Last edited by Zarhon on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Philadelphus wrote:Ok, another quick question: if you have Slashback (Trigger – A creature hits you with an attack; Effect - Deal 1d12 damage to the triggering creature) and Spiked Armor(Trigger - An enemy deals damage to you; Effect - Deal 3 damage to the triggering enemy) and an enemy hits you with an attack that deals damage, do you get to trigger both (assuming you have enough PiPs)? Specifically, are being hit by an attack and taking damage two different triggers? (Since you could theoretically be hit by an attack, but take no damage if you had a high enough Resist.)

@sunbeam: Here's a link to the Living Legends handbook, which contains the Virtues.

Yes, they are both considered different triggers. Enjoy your 1d12+3 damage.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Zarhon wrote:I have a bunch of questions, in regards to the "Personal Project" racial...

Personal Project original description:

1 ) How does the "Personal Project" racial treat "passive" utilities, or utilities that don't offer a distinct 1/day or MP costing "use" or "trigger" (like derp, or freaky knowledge...)? When can such talents trigger the explosion roll, if they can at all?

2 ) The racial's wording isn't clear on how talents with X/Day uses, or talents that cost a Magic Point are treated: Do they still have their daily limits and respective MP cost, or are they "free to use", limited only by the project risking an explosion on each use?

3 ) Is it possible to have the personal project given to/operated/activated by a creature other than you (e.g. another party member, NPC, or other creature), or otherwise activated "remotely"?

4 ) Can the explosion be "avoided", or "diminished" with a certain degree of preparation or other methods (e.g. blast suits, force-fields)?

5 ) As an item, can the project be confiscated, lost, or stolen? Would recovering the object in such a case require just an extended rest, or finding the missing object again?

6 ) Can the explosion roll (both the d100, and the damage rolls to wielder/others) be affected by die re-rolling, or skill check re-rolling abilities?

7 ) Can you intentionally forgo the explosion roll and force the talent to fail / project to explode, or use a roll-affecting ability (e.g. Jinx) with such a purpose?

8 ) When rolling for damage, are the "wielder" and "others within 50 feet" 2d20 rolls separate (allowing for a situation where the wielder takes less damage than those around him), or are they rolled once and shared for both (meaning it's 2d20 damage for all, and you add +10 to the wielder)?

9 ) Do talents you pick with your "Personal Project" count towards being prerequisites to your normal talents (e.g. taking a "spectral battering ram" with the personal project, and then a "spectral tsunami" via leveling)
I've asked these questions before so let's see:

1) It still triggers whenever the passive talent comes into effect. Meaning that if you want an additional Laughter with The Fun Has Been Doubled, the Personal Project might explode. For Derp, it could explode whenever you use the magic point you got from it. The others work in a similar way I presume (Though Sweet and Elite would make your Personal Project famous and you by extention I suppose)

2) They still have the X/day or magic point cost. The chance for the PP to explode doesn't replace the original cost of the utility talent.

3) Though the description mentions wielder, the first line reads "You’ve crafted a ‘personal project’ for your own uses." which I interpret as nobody other than you can use your PP. Wouldn't be much of a personal project if everyone could use it, right?

4) I doubt it. Considering it's an item you have to wield, having options to (severely) diminish the risk would make the PP more powerful than it is. You're already getting 2 extra utility talents, a way to migate the drawback would turn PP into OP.

5) With regards to question 3, I suppose the PP could be stolen but the thief wouldn't know what to do with it. And you can always craft a new PP after every extended rest so I don't really see the point of stealing it.

6) I don't see why not. Just be certain the utility/destiny talent in question is appliable.

7) First game I used PP, I turned my PP into a bomb to kill a room full of zombies. I still had to roll but due to good role playing, I got a +40 modifier on the roll. I suppose that, considering it is your PP of your own making, you could just make it explode when you want to but that would mean taking the hit at point blank range, as making it a Holy Hand Grenade is not the purpose of the PP.

8 ) As it is written, you roll twice: 2d20+10 for the wielder and 2d20 for everyone else.

9) As long as you have the prerequisites for a utility talent, you can take it. But keep in mind that if you do so as you said, you can't use any of the utility talents that your PP holds the prerequisite for when it has exploded and is gone. Only after an extended rest and (re)building your PP, you regain the use of said utility talents.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 am

Nehiel Mori wrote:
Philadelphus wrote:[snip]

Yes, they are both considered different triggers. Enjoy your 1d12+3 damage.
Ahh, thanks. That's great. Very Happy Slashback + Hellspike Armor + Meditate, here I come!

...Actually, ok, this is starting to sound a bit munchkin-y even to me, but if you had Meditate going (+1d12 to attacks with two or fewer targets for your next two turns), would it apply to both reaction attacks, since they're separate triggers? Or just the one, because they basically process at the same time and count as a single attack?
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:00 am

Yes, it would as each one is considered a separate attack! And that is a reason why Dan is considering deleting Meditate.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  greendragonking Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:02 am

lets see... Okay for ability's that trigger or a roll of a die do they trigger on a re-roll for example

Spoiler:
then using one of these ability
Spoiler:

or
Spoiler:
would that grant you UP TO 6 different summon on the first round?

also i ask the same thing about crits and reaction/interrupts on damage rolls when you reroll or roll twice then pick one

greendragonking
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:22 am

greendragonking wrote:lets see... Okay for ability's that trigger or a roll of a die do they trigger on a re-roll for example

Spoiler:
then using one of these ability
Spoiler:

or
Spoiler:
would that grant you UP TO 6 different summon on the first round?

also i ask the same thing about crits and reaction/interrupts on damage rolls when you reroll or roll twice then pick one

Nope, though that would be hilarious.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:14 am

Oh, awesome, thanks!
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:15 am

Philadelphus wrote:Oh, awesome, thanks!

Break it while you can Smile
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  greendragonking Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:24 pm

just want some clarification about the critical
if you roll a 8 on a d8 but you decide to reroll it(for some reason) does the crit still counts?

greendragonking
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 pm

No, you treat it as though the first roll never happened.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:18 pm

This one's been bugging me. The Genetic Engineering supplement is for building "your own race". Doesn't that mean that people should be coming up with their own creatures and assigning traits to them to make them playable? Instead of, say, using it to make unique specimens of already established races (Ponies, Goats, Zebra's). Because otherwise what's the point of keeping around the predesigned templates, if they don't really apply (and I understand the whole DM discretion element. Just, the original intention?)
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Well, the Genetic Engineering is there if you don't want to play any of the templates.

Me? I'm alright with my changeling, but his transformation into a pegasus substituted the cutie mark for an extra utility talent (Applejack of all trades), which shows his nature... and how he messed up the transformation.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Alter Ego (1)
Choose a Race. You may spend 5 minutes to shift between you race’s natural appearance and one of your chosen race, However, this appearance is unique to you, so you cannot impersonate another specific individual. Furthermore, you always look the same in a particular race’s form. For example, if you choose to appear as a minotaur; you will always look like the same unique minotaur. You cannot use a “different” minotaur form to escape being recognized, or take the appearance of the town mayor. However, if you want to take minotaur form to infiltrate a tribe of minotaurs - that’s totally fine.

Odd questions, is there anything to stop this being used to say... turn into a domestic cat? Or maybe a Timberwolf?
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 pm

I don't think so but, the choice is permanent. Also for laughs... Alter Ego: Changeling.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:42 am

Ok, so the question came up theoretically in our latest session, if you have the level 10 ability of the Explorer destiny:
Three times a day, you may forgo a skill check and treat the result as though you had rolled a natural 20. This natural 20 does not trigger a cutie mark critical though, that’d just be silly.
And someone else activates Jinx:
For the next 7 minutes, all creatures within 70 feet of you suffer from horribly bad luck. [...] In short, treat any skill check attempted by any creature within 70 feet of you as an automatic critical failure
Which would win? Jinx or Explorer destiny?
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:55 am

Obviously, I need admin/developer approval, but running directly from the wording, it seems that explorer skips the "make a skill check" step in the process of judging your effectiveness, so it should win. Put another way, Jinx activates when you attempt a skill check, and the explorer destiny explicitly lets you "forgo a skill check."

Which actually brings up a second question. In the metagamer destiny's level 10 feature, you get to treat a die roll as a 1, 10, or 20. Since jinx makes you automatically fail things, would you even get a chance to activate one of these?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:31 am

As a general rule, Destiny > Utility talent.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 pm

This might've been answered before. But one's element can count for a spellchild's once a day for a magic point using skill, right?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next