Minor Action Combat Talents

Go down

Minor Action Combat Talents

Post  Xel Unknown on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Just realized, this system now having minor actions... WE NEED MORE MINOR TALENTS TO PICK AND CHOOSE. Therefore this topic was born.

[0] Random Action Move - Minor Utility
Roll a d4
1 - deal 2d12 self damage
2 - A random enemy gains 1 pip and a target creature gains 3 pips
3 - Random ally gains 1d10 Temporary HP
4 - Deal 1d8+4 damage to a target enemy and the enemy gains 4 vulnerability (save ends)
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Re: Minor Action Combat Talents

Post  Greywander on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:43 am

Here's something that needs to be considered: opportunity cost. Previously, there were almost no minor actions, except on some items. At that time, every combat talent was a standard action, which meant that using one of them meant you couldn't use any of the others. Now, however, it's possible to use two actions a turn if you have both a standard and a minor action talent. Minor actions don't preclude the use of standard actions, which means that now that we have much more minor action talents than we used to, characters will now be able to use two per turn. This is going to off-balance the combat system until we can get minor actions straightened out, as previously it was unusual for a character to even have a minor action.

I'm curious what the standard is that minor actions have been crafted by. Thinking about it logically, it's going to be things that you can do in just a second or two, leaving you time to still do a standard action. Mechanically, that doesn't really say anything. Do we build them exactly like standard actions? Do standard actions have a higher power per pip ratio to make them "better"? Is there some kind of limit on how powerful a minor action can be?

Also, perhaps we should introduce full actions: a full action consumes both your standard and minor actions. This also means full actions can't be used while dazed.
Greywander
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:46 am

The only thing that I've been told is that to best build a Minor Aciton as they've been build so far, is start with an idea for a standard action, then make it cost three more pips. (Making a +2 standard would be about equal to a -1 minor action.)
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Greywander on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:52 am

Bit of an odd question here, and I'd have to look through the official books again to see if any already exist, but: should [+] minor action talents be a thing? If they are, then it makes sense to take one and use it every turn for free pips (regardless of what the talent actually does), even if your build wouldn't normally need any minor action talents. This is particularly true right now when there aren't enough minor action talents for every character to be sure to have one. Now, this may not always be viable, but it just seems too easy.
Greywander
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:13 am

The anwser the from the Question Thread was: that's why we don't have many, unless they got big drawbacks just like how we've done to the pip talents over +3...

And with that in mind I thought up a good talent idea.

[+1] Press Your Luck - Minor Utility
Flip a coin, if lost, your turn just ends early, skipping EVERYTHING else you would've done on your turn including saving throws.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:47 am

Xel Unknown wrote:The anwser the from the Question Thread was: that's why we don't have many, unless they got big drawbacks just like how we've done to the pip talents over +3...

And with that in mind I thought up a good talent idea.

[+1] Press Your Luck - Minor Utility
Flip a coin, if lost, your turn just ends early, skipping EVERYTHING else you would've done on your turn including saving throws.

Could end up benefiting you if you had Regen 5 (save ends)
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:17 am

True... True... Guess my "insane drawback" isn't as purely bad as I had thought. Also it's been noted to me that a Minor Action, could in theory be done after the standard action as well. So both drawbacks could in theory be either avoided or turned into a good thing...
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum