Let's make some Flaws!

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Re: Let's make some Flaws!

Post  Paper Shadow on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Well for one thing, it shouldn't affect the ability to purchase combat benefits like all items in the system currently provide. Utility things should never affect combat.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that...

Speaking of combat, I've been thinking that maybe we should expand the idea of flaws to combat traits as well. We already have one (Pacifist), so why not more? Like so...

Reckless
You start combat with two less pips than usual. On the first turn, instead of a minor action, you may make a second standard action instead.

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Hmmm, "flaw" traits. That's an interesting idea, and I like it. Though this thread is in the Utility Talents subforum, perhaps it'd be better to have a dedicated thread to the idea under Traits?
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Philadelphus wrote:Hmmm, "flaw" traits. That's an interesting idea, and I like it. Though this thread is in the Utility Talents subforum, perhaps it'd be better to have a dedicated thread to the idea under Traits?
Perhaps. I would make it, but if my posts in this thread show anything, it's that if I made the thread, rarely anything would be added to the first post due to my impossibly high standards...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Philadelphus wrote:Hmmm, "flaw" traits. That's an interesting idea, and I like it. Though this thread is in the Utility Talents subforum, perhaps it'd be better to have a dedicated thread to the idea under Traits?

Why under Traits? These are pretty much Utility Talents with a different name.
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:

Why under Traits? These are pretty much Utility Talents with a different name.
I think he was talking about my idea, which was actual traits with flaws, as opposed to most of the things posted in this topic, which is actual utility talents with flaws...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Oh right. Derp.
My bad.
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:13 am

These all need work, of course.

Specifkinesis
Prequisite: Ponykinesis
It's not so much that you have magic powers as much as you have a connection to a specific thing/series of things. Your Ponykinesis is quadrupled in strength (up to 100 lbs), but only works on objects comprised mostly* (90% or more) of one type of material chosen when you take this flaw(e.g. gemstones, earth, water, peanut butter).

Extrovert
You're fairly good at making friends with new people, but sometimes your exuberance can get...annoying. You receive an automatic +2 bonus to Persuasion checks to convince single targets of/to do things, but each time you use this bonus it drops by 1, up to a -3 penalty. This count is reset after taking an extended rest.

Over-the-Top
You gain a +5 bonus to succeed at any check of DC 30 or higher, but take a -3 penalty to any check with a DC of 25 or lower.
Wait scratch that, there's a racial trait that lets you take the bonus straight-up, no drawbacks.

Distrustful
For some reason or another, you just have a difficult time when it comes to trust. When you roll Perception to discern whether someone is lying the PH mentally adds a +5 bonus to succeed if they are. However, the PH mentally adds a -3 penalty to your roll if they are not.

Naive
Life has yet to teach you any difficult lessons about when not to trust somebody. When you roll Perception to discern whether someone is lying the PH mentally adds a +5 bonus to succeed if they are not. However, the PH mentally adds a -3 penalty to your roll if they are.

*At first I was gonna put this number closer to 75%, but then I remember that's about the amount of water a human body is composed of, and mist PHs would be hesitant to classify a human as being "water enough" for someone with hydrokinesis to move.

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 am

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:[...]that's about the amount of water a human body is composed of, and mist PHs[...]
I see what you did there.

Also, I have to say that Specifikinesis and Distrustful and Naive are some of the closest to being balanced flaws I've seen so far. I now kinda wanna make a dumb-as-rocks character with Specifikinesis attuned to rock whose reaction to everything is "Grog throw stone at?".
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 am

Grog throw stone at. Smile

Thank you for the compliments on my flawcrafting skills (Razz) but I must confess the main reason I made this post was to say I have made a change in Specifikinesis's wording to clarify things because although I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I was talking about before there's always that one jerk who insists on finding loopholes...

AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Updating my "Haunted" and "Eternal Pessimist" flaw.

Eternal Pessimist is a bit broken if it gets a CMC (which is apparently easier to get for some characters than others), while haunted had too many benefits compared to the flaws.

The new versions are:

Haunted - Revamp:

Haunted - Flaw
Prerequisite: Speak With The Dead

Your "Speak With The Dead" talent can be used three times a day, at no magic point cost. However, you gain the unwanted attention of the spirits of the deceased. When you use Speak With The Dead, or at the start of a new day (GM's discretion), roll 1D20 and refer to the table below, to determine the type of spirit that will haunt you that day.

Natural 1-5 - Ponygeist. It will harass the player constantly, causing them grave misfortune: Steer the player into trouble or harm, frame them for petty crimes, hindering skill checks, lying and spreading misinformation, or otherwise being a jerk. On top of any incidental consequences, the player suffers from a -3 Morale penalty until you can be rid of said spirit.

6-15 - Needy spirit. It will demand the player to fulfill a minor task, favor, last wish, or similar unfinished business that their death prevented from finishing, which may be accepted or refused. If refused, the spirit harasses them until the end of the day, causing a -3 penalty to all their skill checks, then leaves. If accepted, the required task must be done within 24 hours, or the spirit will harass the player in their sleep, preventing them from regaining a magic point on their next extended rest. If successful, the player gains a +3 bonus on skill checks for the rest of the day.

16-19 - Lover spirit. This spirit is searching for a long-lost love, who may be living or dead creature. Although not obligated to, the player may assist this spirit in finding the lover, which will grant them a magic point. This magic point persists until the end of the next session.

Natural 20 - Helpful spirit. It will be very kind and helpful to the player, assisting them in any way it can: Providing knowledge, assisting skill checks, or even warning them of danger.

Eternal Pessimist - Revamp:

Eternal Pessimist
You do not regain a magic point after an extended rest, or the start of a new session. Instead, when you achieve a critical success in any skill, you gain a magic point and free use of a single magic point talent. If you achieve a cutie mark critical success, you gain 2 magic points and free use of a single magic point talent. This effect can only occur once for both.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:02 pm

I like a lot of these flavor concepts. Let me take a moment to go over a common design trap that I see a lot of.

Eternal Pessimist
You do not regain a magic point after an extended rest, or the start of a new session. Instead, when you achieve a critical success in any skill, you gain a magic point and free use of a single magic point talent. If you achieve a cutie mark critical success, you gain 2 magic points and free use of a single magic point talent. This effect can only occur once for both.

Cool concept? Absolutely. Who doesn't want to make critical successes cooler? However, the gameplay implications are very troublesome. Observe.

Player 1: So, I took the Eternal Pessimist flaw.

GM: Cool. Alright, let's start the session. Previously in Equestria, the ancient dragon Aurix had painted the skies red with the blazing fires of the ancient mountains. A new sun was torn and spread across the heavens, eternal light blazing across the world. Princess Luna has fallen into dire illness, the power of the night stolen from her. Without the symbol of her power she is unable to sustain her eternal youth and may soon die from age too long denied. Princess Celestia is locked in a trance, desperately battling the will of the great dragon to keep the blazing fires in the sky tamed lest they burn those not of dragonkind from this world. Last session clsoed with your journey to the realms of the forgotten behind the veil of memory, where all forgotten memories dwell in the collective mockery of life - searching the lost secrets of how the elder dragon Aurix was first defeated those many thousands of years ago.

Player 1: Great! I try to do a hoof-stand.

GM: Um... What?

Player 1: I rolled a 17. Aww. Okay, I try again.

GM: Why?

Player 1: 13. Aww... Okay, I try agian.

GM: What are you doing?

Player 1: I'm going to keep trying until I get that natural 20. And Acrobatics is my cutie mark skill. Mama needs the magic points!

Player 2: Hey- good idea! I'll do that too!

GM: *Sighs*
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:20 pm

This is basically how it IS being used in the campaign that has allowed that flaw...
Xel Unknown

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:This is basically how it IS being used in the campaign that has allowed that flaw...
Well, that's always going to be how the design of the flaw will be used. Some designs just won't work without being abused...

Secretly, I for one welcome our new dragon overlords...

Also, in my opinion, Specifkinesis is, well, too specific to be useful, and Extrovert, Distrustful, and Naive are all somewhat boring. Providing unreliable bonuses/penalties will just make the players not bother with them...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Okay then,

How do you suggest creating a character who can only control water ala Aquaman, or Earth ala Terra, or Fire, or any other specific material?

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 pm

I think Specifickinesis works well actually. I might take it.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:01 am

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:Okay then,

How do you suggest creating a character who can only control water ala Aquaman, or Earth ala Terra, or Fire, or any other specific material?
Oh, I guess I didn't think about using it in that way. My mistake...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:30 pm

buuuuump.
So I was looking at the Hyperactive Flaw (because I have a character running it currently)
Hyperactive (Take 3)
You are always under the effects of the Haste Talent (this can stack with other uses of Haste). However, for every hour you fail move at least 50 feet, (or the equivalent, at the GM's discretion) you suffer a -1 to all checks (this also stacks) until you meet your movement quota. This need to move can, in the event of limited time or space, be meet by spinning in a circle and shouting for 20 minutes; however, you suffer a -3 to Acrobatics, and Perception checks for 20 minutes afterwards should you chose to do this. This ability does not affect sleeping; however, any penalties remain while asleep.
and I noticed this.
in the event of limited time or space, be met by spinning in a circle and shouting for 20 minutes
What. That is an obscenely long amount of time to spin and shout to burn off the energy that could also be sated by walking back and forth across a room a few times. Granted, it's suggested only if you're limited by space. (I'm going to disregard using it to save time, as it doesn't)
Suggested change: 20 seconds. If that's too short, then a minute at most. The character would still be spinning and shouting so that they're noticed by anyone and everyone, but doesn't end with them hurling, and still attempting to spin for another 15 minutes. They'd still be dizzy and take the penalties for the 20 minutes afterward.
Additional change: Clarify that you have to move "at least 50 feet in a single movement". This would make the spinning at least somewhat necessary, as currently unless you're tied up you could just step back and forth between 2 squares and get to the required amount. And if you're tied up I guess you couldn't spin anyway.
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6