Anime and Manga

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anime and Manga

Post  LoganAura on Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Thought we should have a thread for those of us that are fans of Nippon Smile What Anime and Manga have you been watching/reading recently?

I haven't been watching much, although I've been reading Liar Game, and The World God Only Knows. However, I'm going to watch Princess Tutu and Madoka Magica again sometime soon.

Yes, that's a dark psychological thriller manga and a Harem Comedy, followed by a pair of Magical Girl shows.

What about you guys?

Saint Trotez: Where Snipe is paranoid and snarked at Snarl.
Satisfying Values (Hiatus): Mic is chasing after a Glitch.

Retired or inactive Games:
Too many to count.
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime and Manga

Post  tygerburningbright on Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:29 pm

Currently One Piece, the Legend of Koizumi and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Going to watch Toriko and finish Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo soon.
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis on Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Working my way through Gundam Wing.

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Just.... so much. I wouldn't even know where to start. Though I will say Minami-ke is probably one of my favorites ever.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:47 pm

I've watched hundreds upon hundreds of titles. My favourites would have to be: ef: A Tale of Memories, Allison and Lillia, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and XXX-Holic alongside Tsubasa Chronicle. Though there are plenty of other ones. Anime was basically my teenage years in a nutshell and I still find time to pick up a few titles now and then Very Happy

And I'd say overall, my favourite Japanese music group doing the intros or credit music would be KOKIA.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteeyes on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:58 am

Recently watched C:Control, Persona 4 the animation, and Trinity Blood; all very good if short series. Reading wise I hit Zombie Powder, MÅR, and read the first three volumes of Night School: The Weirn Books.

As for the long running series...I've kinda lost my taste for the series that seem like they're never going to end. I'd just like some closure, you know? I'm looking at you Detective Conan, One Piece, and Bleach! Naruto at least is hitting what seems to be the climax of the story and revealing just what is going on, but it's really dragging everything out too much.
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:29 am

Bleach ended did it not? I'm still watching Naruto though, seen every episode so far, though I kind of want it to end but it always seems to jump into season-long fillers Razz
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:48 am

Naruto's storyline is pretty mediocre, but I don't think people give enough credit to its characters. They're really deep and fleshed out and I will fight anyone who says otherwise in the field of battle.

I kinda get what you're saying regards really long animes, but in One Piece's defense, although it's taken a long time to get where it is, there is a definite individual villain in every story arc that is decidedly challenged and overcome, advancing not necessarily the plot as a whole immediately, but with certainty ,as it immediately impacts the characters and their place in the world, and then they move on to the next villain and the next individual story. It's like completing a jigsaw puzzle shaped like a jigsaw piece, then at the end putting all those jigsaw pieces together: a series of endings and closures leading up to one big bang.

Or at least that's my opinion. :p

Other anime people should be watching: Eden of the East. That stuff is silly and wonderful and amazing.

Other than that, I've been watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood recently and I really like it. I didn't like the original anime, but that had little to do with the way (I hear) it didn't follow the original manga; I just got about four episodes in before I decided "This seems well-written, but I personally can't enjoy this show. Unfortunate." I keep meaning to finish Gurren Lagann, but every time I get the opportunity, I have to return it before watching the final...six episodes, I believe? Between that and four.

As for manga without an anime, or close enough, I really enjoy the fan-translations of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, though I got to the fourth series of stories and decided that a better translation was going to happen eventually. I'll pick it back up when it does. Pokemon Special is good too.

And of course we can't forget the greatest anime of all: Homestuck. Okay, I'll shut up now.
AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteeyes on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:56 am

SilentBelle wrote:Bleach ended did it not?

Only the anime, the manga is still going strong. With Nazi Quincy.
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:17 am

Eden of the East was pretty great and granted me a bit of food for thought, and was quite humorous at times. And I loved both versions of Full Metal. The first one had more of a western spin than the second one. But the second one had the more of the Anime vibe to it that I love and was probably executed better.

Yeah, and I don't read the manga, I just watch the anime, but I've seen a ton of them Smile
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:27 am

you know, I'm surprised there's actually more than just 2 others here. I might stream a couple anime every couple of weekends. If I do, I'll post in here.
The first one would be Princess Tutu, since it needs more exposure.

Saint Trotez: Where Snipe is paranoid and snarked at Snarl.
Satisfying Values (Hiatus): Mic is chasing after a Glitch.

Retired or inactive Games:
Too many to count.
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:10 am

Princess Tutu is the manliest anime in existence and I will fight anyone who says otherwise
AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 am

Haven't watched anime in awhile. The only manga I'm really keeping up with is Yotsuba, and that comes out at pretty sedate pace.

Stuff that I also like, but isn't exactly new.
Dragonball
Azumanga Daioh
Gaogaigar
Gurren Lagann
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Heroic Age
Seto No Hanayome
Cardbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down