boons... Boons... BOONS!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: boons... Boons... BOONS!

Post  Nehiel Mori on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:26 pm

Fair enough Razz

I'm liking alot of these ideas. When I have time (so, Monday) I'll look through them in better detail. For now I have two sessions to plan for along with Spanish projects.
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Actually 1-use time travel that sends players a limited amount of time back (like up to 1 year) back and lets them stay there for a certain amount of time (like about a week) before boomeranging them back to the present is very nice. It allows players to correct a single grievous mistake, and usually they go on an epic quest to get the 1-use time traveling item.

The problem with time travel at-will is that players feel they can go back in time to fix any of their mistakes whenever they like, so it doesn't feel like they need to worry about succeeding the first time... Which is bad for maintaining their emotional investment in the conflict at hand.

So a 1/use time travel boon might be interesting...
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:18 pm

If you do have a time-travel boon, you'll have to lay down some rules about time-travel. Do you physically travel back in time, or is it like Groundhog Day (or the more time-travel-ish example of Hot Tub Time Machine) where you live your life as if you hadn't travelled back in time? How are paradoxes sorted? Stuff like that...

I do remember Chris Perkins did an article about time travel in one of his The Dungeon Master Experience articles, which now that I found again, I can continue reading from where I left off. Here's the Time Travel Article for anyone interested...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:55 pm

My own rules for time travel are indeed based off of Chris Perkins'. Perkins' stuff is really solid. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteeyes on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 pm

I run on Singular Timeline theory, and so "if you went back in time to do something to prevent a mistake it would have already happened". I have once or twice let it be a saving grace to the characters in one campaign by having their future selves do something for them ala Bill and Ted "our future selves would toss us the keys that we'll use to escape the cell and get the keys that we'll toss to our past selves". Now then, Time Travel is a big no no however, and there are divine entities whose sole purpose is to prevent any drastic changes to time. So while the above scenario is acceptable as long as they time travel ASAP with no delay to do the key deal, something along the lines of "team up to tag team a baddie" is a massive no go that will rain down divine wrath on you so fast. Especially since each of those things can just cast wish and make it so you just didn't time travel. So it became a more "use with caution" feature than a "quick, to the undo button" situation.
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:24 pm

The way I view time travel isn't really time travel at all but, alternate dimensional travel of a sort. This accounts for paradox as, when you "time travel" you're not actually traveling in your own timeline so, if you kill "your" grandfather... nothing happens to you (or your timeline at all) since it wasn't actually the person who you were related to. This basically is a setup which means every moment there are an infinite branch of dimensions occurring with their own different possibilities. So, while it may seem to you that you're traveling through time and your actions had an effect, what really happened is that you basically went and created a new dimension where those changes you made took place and are now living there (as if you return to your origin timeline, you didn't actually do anything to it) or to be more technical you traveled again to "the future" of that timeline, which is really just one of an infinite amount of versions based on that timeline. This avoids paradox, rather obviously, and still maintains plausible normal non-travel realities since there's an infinite amount so there will always be ones where "random 'time' travelers from other realities randomly showed up" didn't happen.
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 am

I personally am a fan of the Timey Wimey Ball train of thought when it comes to Time Travel...
Xel Unknown

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:13 am

Nice try Xel, but I know better than to click that link...
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Alright, enough time travel. Any other boons folks can think of?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Time to toss some ideas out there (if there's no level number, it's because I have no idea what would be good):

Emergency Escape Device
The party gains access to a mysterious magical machine about the size of a stove. When the whole party concentrates on the machine for 10 seconds, they find themselves magically teleported to its location no matter what kind of magical effects they may be under at the moment.
[Optional higher-level enhancement:]
When the party has used the machine in this manner, they may, by all being within 10 feet of the machine and concentrating on it for the same amount of time, be teleported back to where they were before they were teleported out.

Vocational Training
Every member of the party gains an additional utility talent! However, there's a catch: it must be the same utility talent, and it must be one that none of the party knows already.

Bountiful - Level 9
Your party gains the benefits of two level 3 boons.
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 pm

Dream Crystal - 1/session
Using this crystal, enchanted by the Princess of night herself, the party may now venture into the dreamscapes of friends and foes alike. Using this crystal on a creature that is asleep and capable of dreaming will transport the party into that creature's dream. Anything can happen within a dream, depending on the mental, magical or physical influences, or the personality of the one dreaming (for instance, a poisoned creature might have a "feverish" dream full of toxins, or a mind controlled creature might have its dream invaded and harassed by the controller).

Entering a dream can provide numerous benefits, including:
-Getting a glimpse of a pony's personality or secrets...
-Visions of past, present, or even future events that the creature experiences...
-Implanting mental suggestions...
-Purging a pony's body and mind from a harmful influence...
-Using the dream world to achieve something impossible in the real world...

Whilst in a dream, players are subject to harm and can die from "dangerous" things within the dream, just like in the real world, but are immune to harm from any outside influences, unless they affect the dream itself. Should the creature's dream abruptly end while someone is still within it, or the dream-walkers die within it, they will be forcefully (and painfully) ejected, losing a magic point in the process. Time within a dream passes much slower than in the real world, at a rate of 1 minute in real world for every hour in the dream. Any objects taken from a dream vanish when the dream itself ends, or 1 hour after it was taken from the dream.

Reformation spell - 1/week
One of the most secretive and powerful spells in existence, this one-shot spell will completely and utterly alter its personality, motivations and alignment to benefit the party's goals. This spell may be used on a creature that is helpless, has been brought within 1/10th of it's maximum health during combat, or is unable to act for a period of at least 10 minutes. Once cast, the creature becomes "reformed" and is restored to it's full mental, physical and magical power. Creatures "reformed" this way will treat the party as long-time friends and be friendly (or at worst, neutral) to the party's own allies. It will also be neutral to most neutral creatures. The reformed creature will retain all of it's abilities, powers and memories. The reformation effect will NOT expire on it's own (nor will the creature wish to end it of its own accord, unless forced to), but it may gradually degrade from outside influences:
- Mistreatment by those they now consider "friends" or allies (especially hostile actions or betrayal).
- Temptation from others, or temptation from what shaped their original personality (e.g. megalomania, greed, and such).
- Outstanding magical effects.
- Their current personality is unnatural to their kind, or are constantly afflicted by a degrading influence.

Essence of harmony - 1/day
This artifact contains the very essence of the elements hidden within each of the party. Whenever a player uses their element of harmony with the artifact in their possession, they may roll a d20. If they roll 15 or higher, the next player to use their element of harmony will not have to pay a magic point for it. Additionally, the party may choose to spend 2-3 magic points to activate the essence's true power, enabling element of harmony abilities to be used at no cost or limit for 5 hours.

Augmentation stone - 1/day
With this artifact in the party's possession, the party has been granted an artifact that can augment their physical forms. The artifact may be used in the following ways:
- Shrink an ally to small (rat) or tiny (insect) size, lasting 1 hour or 2hours, respectively, or until cancelled.
- Grow an ally to large (cerebrus) or gigantic (adult dragon) size, lasting 1 hour or 30 minutes, respectively, or until cancelled.
- Provide the party with 5-6 racial points to use amongst themselves. The amount can be utilized on a single player, or divided, and lasts for 1 day.
- Transform the flesh, skin and hair of an ally into a different substance. This transformation is never fatal or directly harmful to the creature, and lasts for 2 hours, or until cancelled.
- Transform an ally into a different race or entirely different creature of similar or smaller size. This lasts for 1 day and cannot be reversed in the meantime. They may lose and/or gain utility talents in the process.

Master crafter
The party has befriended a master crafts-pony. This creature can craft *any* object that the party designs (within DM discretion), regardless of technological advancement, mystical knowledge requirements or other limitation. To do so, however, it will require rare and difficult to acquire materials, and will require payment from the party in the form of 2 or more magic points, and the process may require up to a week to finish. The crafted object will ultimately be nigh-indestructible, powered off a internal power supply (1/day use for whatever utility it grants) as well as magic points, and will never malfunction or break from wear/tear/magical influences/ravages of time. In addition to these outstanding crafts, the crafts master will also provide "mundane" repairs (of the large and small scale) at no charge. They may also improve that which they repair, if provided extra materials or payment.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:17 am

Dam those are awesome boon ideas...
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 am

Favoured of the Forest - Level 3 Boon
Your deeds and personalities have earned your party the blessing of nature itself. Friendly critters will follow you, wild dangerous beasts will avoid you, and even the plants and trees seem to help however they can. Generally, your trips through natural environments become much safer, and animals look at you in a favourable light. The respect between your party and Mother Nature is now a mutual one...

Know-It-All Book - Level 3 Boon
A magical book with blank pages has been entrusted with your party. While normally empty, after focusing with the book open for 30 minutes, the reader learns all the information that they could want about a few topics. A creature who does this gains the Freaky Knowledge talent for two specific areas of interest until the next time they read the book. The book can only be read by any creature once per day...

Mask of Whispers - Level 6 Boon
Your party has somehow gotten a hold on an eerie mask. A relic from an age long gone, whoever wears the mask gains access to the whispers of the dead. The dead will give advice on what to do, but while the dead will never try to hurt the wearer with the advice, it may result in a worse scenario. Once per day, the wearer can unleash the true potential of the mask and make all those within 70 feet to hear the dead as well. Most creatures will run in fear upon hearing the whispers of the departed, but those with strong minds, such as your party, do not flee if they don't wish to.

Genie's Lamp - Level 9 Boon
Boom! Whoop! Kazam! With a rub of this lamp, a Genie pops out, ready and willing to grant your party three wishes. The Genie will tell you about any rules regarding wishes, which are up to the GM, and warn that wishes which asks for too much may be twisted into a literal but undesirable fulfilment or a partial one, but other than those, anything goes. After the three wishes are used, the Genie and Lamp will vanish forever. Choose wisely...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:28 pm

"I wish for INFINITE DUCT TAPE!"

EDIT: Also, I think the Book Of Omniscience should feature the words "DON'T PANIC" on the front...
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Grey Pen wrote:"I wish for INFINITE DUCT TAPE!"
Funnily enough, someone in the Steam Emperor game I'm in has a duck tape utility trait with the following stats...

Duct Tape - 10/Day
This seemingly mundane object has a LOT of uses. It provides a +5 bonus to mechanics checks, but you may also use it for/along with any other task or skill check where it may be of use. Each such successful check applies a +1 bonus for each subsequent use, stacking up to an additional +5 bonus when used. The duct tape is completely waterproof, easily sticks to any surface, relatively heat resistant (but not fireproof, or magma/lava-proof) and can be used to make something air-tight. Intentionally applying it to creatures may be viewed as a hostile action, especially for creatures with fur, hair, or feathers (as its removal is both painful and causes loss of hair).

So if your GM is happy with you having infinite uses of something like that, then cool. If not, the duct tape will most likely end up being too big to carry around or something, whatever the GM feels like...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Magic Items for ALL! - Level 9
Everyone in the part get's a magical item that does upto three types of utility talents at will with no drawback.
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:
Grey Pen wrote:"I wish for INFINITE DUCT TAPE!"
Funnily enough, someone in the Steam Emperor game I'm in has a duck tape utility trait with the following stats...

Duct Tape - 10/Day
This seemingly mundane object has a LOT of uses. It provides a +5 bonus to mechanics checks, but you may also use it for/along with any other task or skill check where it may be of use. Each such successful check applies a +1 bonus for each subsequent use, stacking up to an additional +5 bonus when used. The duct tape is completely waterproof, easily sticks to any surface, relatively heat resistant (but not fireproof, or magma/lava-proof) and can be used to make something air-tight. Intentionally applying it to creatures may be viewed as a hostile action, especially for creatures with fur, hair, or feathers (as its removal is both painful and causes loss of hair).

So if your GM is happy with you having infinite uses of something like that, then cool. If not, the duct tape will most likely end up being too big to carry around or something, whatever the GM feels like...

Hey, I made that talent! Very Happy What was it used for, so far?
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Zarhon wrote:Hey, I made that talent! :D What was it used for, so far?
Huh, I was wondering where it originally from. It's done nothing yet, but it's early days. If there's a problem with the giant underground drilling machine in the distance though, I'm pretty sure duct tape will be the solution...

Xel Unknown wrote:Magic Items for ALL! - Level 9
Everyone in the part get's a magical item that does upto three types of utility talents at will with no drawback.
It's a nice idea, but let me suggest a better alternative...

The Little Things - Level 9 Boon
Choose either three Level 3 Boons or a Level 6 Boon and a Level 3 Boon. You may choose a boon multiple times, as well as choosing one you have already taken. Your party gains those boons in addition to the boons you took at level 3 and 6. Some ponies like to dream of having the greatest, finest things in life, but your party prefers more of the smaller treasures in life (which, to be fair, are still pretty great and fine in their own right)...

This way, the party gets more choice, but those who want up to three extra utility talents can take the Wondrous Treasure three times...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 pm

I've noticed that there is a noticeable lack of anything akin to "pets" or "familiars" in pony tales, which is odd, considering the show has them as a factor. And considering the nature of boons, I think it would be ideal to have a boon that essentially provides a pet to every player.

Plethora of Pets
Pets for everyone! Each player may choose and design their own faithful companion pet to love and cherish. Each pet comes with 3 racial points worth of abilities and a container for easy carrying/travel/hiding/sleeping. The pets are intelligent enough to understand its master and follow their respective requests or orders. They will safely run away from combat until it concludes. Once a day, each pet must temporarily leave the party for a time equal to an extended rest, to find/steal/scavange/hunt it's preferred food and sleep, before returning to its master. The pets also provide the following group utilities, provided they are present:

Rowdy Rumble - 1/Session
All currently present pets assault a single creature, rendering it blinded, deafened, confused and unable to move for 1 minute per number of pets present. If all available pets are present, and the target creature is medium sized or less, the target is considered helpless for the duration. If any of the pet's masters are in danger of dying from another creature while they are nearby, this ability will automatically activate, preventing it. This ability is considered a hostile/combatitive act.

Protect the Master - 1/Campaign
If a player would have died from any source, it's pet will take the death-blow instead and prevent their death, if able. The player may choose to override this.

Vengeance for the Meek - 1/Campaign
If a player's pet dies from non-natural or hostile causes, or while protecting it's master (Exception: Intentionally harming your own or party's pets), the player who owned it is granted three cutie mark critical successes, to enact at any point of the campaign.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:52 am

I really should check the forums more often.
Here's a few from me:

Party Cannon L3?
You have somehow gained access to a legendary party armament. When not in use, the cannon is stored... somewhere. Nopony knows for sure.
The cannon can be used to instantly procure party equipment such as streamers, balloons, party hats and cake (batter or baked).
It can also be used to fire a willing living creature for up to 10 meters, but it must be aimed and operated by somepony else. Cannonballs and other dangerous ammunition disappear without a trace if loaded into the cannon.

Metaphysical containment Sphere. L6?
This mysterious and slightly ominous crystal sphere can be used to prevent failure. Upon triggering a critical failure, it's user may choose to "store" his or her failure in the sphere, turning it into a regular failed roll.
Upon use, a d8 is be rolled. If the result is equal to or lower than the amount of failure stored, the contained misfortune is unleashed upon the user.
Once a day, a magic point may be used to safely empty the sphere of misfortune.

Rod of Magic Detection L6
This rod may be used to detect and identify magic or advanced technology with a +20 bonus (i.e slightly more than Assistant). It cannot be used to meddle with such, however.
It may or may not be a screwdriver.

Master Necromancer's Coffin L9
It's creepy. It's ominous. It fairly reeks of foul magic. But it is yours nonetheless, and you'll glad to have it if the worst comes to pass.
Triggered the moment a member of the party is shunted from the mortal coil, the Coffin intercepts the departed soul. The deceased's body is instantly rebuilt within the coffin, returning the character to life and prime physical condition. Mental health.... Mehh. You just died. you're bound to have some emotional baggage.
This process requires a huge amount of magical energy however, and can only store enough charge for a single use.
The coffin can be recharged, but this will require as many as 20 magic points. Life is not cheap, after all.
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:52 pm

kajisora wrote:I really should check the forums more often.
Here's a few from me:

Party Cannon L3?
You have somehow gained access to a legendary party armament. When not in use, the cannon is stored... somewhere. Nopony knows for sure.
The cannon can be used to instantly procure party equipment such as streamers, balloons, party hats and cake (batter or baked).
It can also be used to fire a willing living creature for up to 10 meters, but it must be aimed and operated by somepony else. Cannonballs and other dangerous ammunition disappear without a trace if loaded into the cannon.

Master Necromancer's Coffin L9
It's creepy. It's ominous. It fairly reeks of foul magic. But it is yours nonetheless, and you'll glad to have it if the worst comes to pass.
Triggered the moment a member of the party is shunted from the mortal coil, the Coffin intercepts the departed soul. The deceased's body is instantly rebuilt within the coffin, returning the character to life and prime physical condition. Mental health.... Mehh. You just died. you're bound to have some emotional baggage.
This process requires a huge amount of magical energy however, and can only store enough charge for a single use.
The coffin can be recharged, but this will require as many as 20 magic points. Life is not cheap, after all.
Party Cannon is a great idea. Perhaps it could be used to simulate the effects of Instant Party for the group, like giving a morale bonus or a chance to gain an extra Magic Point?

For Master Necromancer's Coffin, the price seems a little high considering that there's the level 6 boon Friendship Never Dies that lets a party return a party member to life once per day with no Magic Point cost. I realize they serve slightly different purposes, and I like the idea, so I'd suggest changing the cost to "one Magic Point per party member". Twenty Magic Points would take a party of six 4 days to accumulate, while in the same time period they could be resurrecting one of their number four different times using Friendship Never Dies.

Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Philadelphus wrote:
For Master Necromancer's Coffin, the price seems a little high considering that there's the level 6 boon Friendship Never Dies that lets a party return a party member to life once per day with no Magic Point cost. I realize they serve slightly different purposes, and I like the idea, so I'd suggest changing the cost to "one Magic Point per party member". Twenty Magic Points would take a party of six 4 days to accumulate, while in the same time period they could be resurrecting one of their number four different times using Friendship Never Dies.
Oops, you're right ><
I deliberately set the cost extremely high to prevent suicidal acts, but 20 is probably way too harsh. 1mp per member works way better.

Didn't add instant party to the cannon because that would mean it's use has to to be limited to x/day, severely limiting the amount of cakes that can be fired at procrastinating party members. Or vice versa Razz
Then again, the effects could be split up, or it could just give the morale bonus, since it shouldn't stack with itself.
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:42 pm

For the Party Cannon you could always split up the effects. So that, say, everything you have written already is At Will, but it could have an additional, 1/day Party Hard effect where everyone rolls a d20 and gets a Magic Point if they get a 20. It'd still be less powerful than a party member with the Instant Party talent since that would also give the morale bonus. Seems about right for a level 3 boon to me, and I know the chance to get a free Magic Point every day would make me want to take it. Smile

Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Okay, new approach.

Most players are never very excited to choose their boon. One reason is because, until later levels, the boons don't actually do that much.

Nehiel and I are strongly considering making boons 5x as powerful as standard utility talents. To put this in perspective, both level 4 and level 7 destiny features are only 2x as strong as standard utility talents. When you choose a boon, you should get excited!

Thoughts?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Holy... That'd be awesome!

Saint Trotez: Where Snipe is paranoid and snarked at Snarl.
Satisfying Values (Hiatus): Mic is chasing after a Glitch.

Retired or inactive Games:
Too many to count.
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next