I want to be an airship pirate.

Go down

I want to be an airship pirate.

Post  Azureink on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 am

Ok I want you guys to make me a Destiny that nets me airship-pirateness! I know that there is a high level boon that gets me an airship, but I don't want to wait. I want it at level 4 when we get the Destiny. I want to soar the skies and be a sky pirate. Go! Make me this Destiny here.

[Please delete this thread.]

Last edited by Azureink on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:08 pm; edited 7 times in total
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I want to be an airship pirate.

Post  Paper Shadow on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 am

Alright, despite the demanding tone that the post gave off and the lack of any pleases or suggestions of your own, let me tell you why a Sky Pirate Destiny wouldn't be that hot an idea...

First, destinies are balanced in a way that the Level 4 and Level 7 Destinies are equal to two Utility Talents, and the Level 10 Destiny is equal to six Utility Talents. This can be best seen with the Self-Discovery Destiny. This means that with the Level 4 Destiny in a Sky Pirate will essentially either give you Flight or It's Almost Like Flying and something else. That means any Brawn or Precision check with your ship (which will take Mechanics Checks to fly in general) will suffer either a -10 or -15 penalty. It will get better as you get further levels, although it's likely you'll be given a choice at Level 7 between a better ship or getting some pirate-y talents, but unless you spec into Mechanics your rolls won't be all that great...

Second, the moment you take that destiny, you can bet that the skies get ten times more dangerous. Before, the GM had to consider maybe a single, possibly two pegasi when mentally constructing the campaign. Now they have to consider the entire party can travel, and as such, the skies will become very hostile. Now, you might argue that this is what you want, because, frankly, the thought of air-battles is pretty badass. But keep in mind that you, as the Captain, will spend most of your time behind the wheel, rolling mechanics checks, making sure the thing doesn't horribly crash or get hit by the stormy weather or giant flying beast beside the ship, and if anyone falls of the ship, then they are in pretty big trouble unless they can fly (or everyone is tied to the ship with a rope just like in Treasure Planet, but safety is for losers)...

Finally, while flying ships do appear in FiM, keep in mind that Pony Tales is also Living Legends. They are more or less identical in function, with Living Legends getting an Expert Skill instead of a Cutie Mark (they both have the same function), and Living Legends is situated in a more average fantasy universe. You know the kind, the ones with Elves and Dwarfs and that lack flying airships. Now, while the adding airships won't be that big a deal, it does ruin the idea the GM had of what state technology is in in their world. I mean, if the main form of transport is horse-drawn caravans and boats and whatnot, and suddenly it turns out that airships exist, that's gonna require an explanation which the GM is going to have to think of. It's not really fair for the GM to have to do that after they have already planned out their entire campaign...

In the end of the day, a Sky Pirate destiny which gives a ship at level four opens far too many doors for it to be balanced without the many drawbacks. If you really want to be an Sky Pirate, a campaign which gives all players the role of being Sky Pirates (similar to D&D games with a Pirate Setting) is the most balanced, fairest, and generally best bet...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:46 am

TL;DR:

Talk to the GM about it and hope he takes pity on you.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:03 pm

These are all fair points. I concede to your wisdom.
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Ok, I have come back and posted what I think a fair trade off for the destiny would be, using some published utilities and boons as guidelines.
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum