Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Creation advice.

+24
Ramsus
sunbeam
Mind Gamer
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Zaerosz
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Stairc -Dan Felder
Hayatecooper
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
SilentBelle
Philadelphus
Caden2112
elfowlgirl
Xel Unknown
Zarhon
thematthew
Dusk Raven
Paper Shadow
Lyntermas
Grey Pen The Flawed
LoganAura
28 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Character Creation advice. - Page 2 Empty Re: Character Creation advice.

Post  Caden2112 Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Hmm...I've got an idea for a spirit as a character (Either as just a free-floating spirit, or anchored in something, probably a statue or something.) I've got a few ideas bouncing around, but I'd like to compare notes with others. So far, I know I want Phase Step/Dream Stride (To reflect moving more into the spirit realm/disassociating temporarily from its anchor for short periods,) and either a healer or straight-damage build (Because those are easier for me to work with, I'll admit I have a bit of trouble tanking efficiently in this system, part of why I'm playing one in Arctic Advent/Khan is to try and improve.) MAYBE Warlord-style support...
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:45 am

elfowlgirl wrote:I need some advice on a combat build.

The newest character I'm making is based heavily on rainbows - what kind of build should I try for to accompany this? I was thinking of having one attack of different types (one heal, one support, one DPS, one AOE, etc) to represent colors of the rainbow, but that sounds overly complicated (and hard to combo).
Rainbows, huh?

Maybe you should consider looking less into the multiples colours of a rainbow, and more into the result of rainbows, which is people being inspired and amazed by its beauty. Consider taking talents which assist allies in a non-healing way, or applies debuffs on enemies, as your rainbows are spectacular and mesmerising. I'd recommend Dazzling Performance as your special move, and also that you look into Bard talents (such as Haunting Melody, Inspire Courage, and Inspiring Tune), Cleric Talents (such as Brilliant Flare, Celestia’s Light, Mend, Miracle, and Sanctity of Faith) and Warlord talents (such as Friendly Encouragement, On My Mark!, and Valour)...

Also, look into taking an attack which hits twice and calling it "Double Rainbow", because why not?

Caden2112 wrote:Hmm...I've got an idea for a spirit as a character (Either as just a free-floating spirit, or anchored in something, probably a statue or something.) I've got a few ideas bouncing around, but I'd like to compare notes with others. So far, I know I want Phase Step/Dream Stride (To reflect moving more into the spirit realm/disassociating temporarily from its anchor for short periods,) and either a healer or straight-damage build (Because those are easier for me to work with, I'll admit I have a bit of trouble tanking efficiently in this system, part of why I'm playing one in Arctic Advent/Khan is to try and improve.) MAYBE Warlord-style support...
If you choose to make a free-floating spirit, remember to take, at the very least, It's Almost Like Flying. In addition to being a free or anchored spirit, your talent choice also depends on if you want to be a friendly spirit or a vengeful one. A friendly spirit should look into things like Celestia's Light, The Most Dependable of Ponies, and You’re All My Very Best Friends. A vengeful spirit will be most interested in Dirty Look, Howling Chains, Villainous Laughter, and if both you and the GM are feeling pretty masochistic, Jinx!. General spirit talents that you should consider in any case include Echo, Speak with the Dead, Spectral Battering Ram, and Stealth Mode...

If you are a friendly spirit, take support combat talents. If you are a vengeful spirit, take damage combat talents. Personally, if I made a spirit character, my combat build would either be a support build (if I'm friendly), a conditions build (if I'm vengeful), or a summoner build (for either case), but to each their own...

As a final note, tanking is pretty hard to build for, as it would require either high pip gain, or one or two allies to be built to help you...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:17 am

elfowlgirl wrote:I need some advice on a combat build.

The newest character I'm making is based heavily on rainbows - what kind of build should I try for to accompany this? I was thinking of having one attack of different types (one heal, one support, one DPS, one AOE, etc) to represent colors of the rainbow, but that sounds overly complicated (and hard to combo).
I don't know exactly where this would fit in with your build, but I saw the word "rainbows" and immediately thought of Crescendo. Just flavor it as each individual roll being damage from another color of the rainbow.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:50 am

Yes, Crescendo. Sunlance is another good one. So is Radiant Blade.

Also, I think you really ought to consider the "Painbow" pun when you re-flavor all this.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Well, one good thing is to flavor each of your moves with a different color.

Red: Something that has to do with anger or love
Orange:
Yellow: Calm? Something healing probably here
Green:
Blue: Sorrow, so possibly something that hinders the enemy?
Indigo:
Violet: As the end of the rainbow, your strongest move?

I don't know what the rest would be though.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Caden2112 wrote:Hmm...I've got an idea for a spirit as a character (Either as just a free-floating spirit, or anchored in something, probably a statue or something.) I've got a few ideas bouncing around, but I'd like to compare notes with others. So far, I know I want Phase Step/Dream Stride (To reflect moving more into the spirit realm/disassociating temporarily from its anchor for short periods,) and either a healer or straight-damage build (Because those are easier for me to work with, I'll admit I have a bit of trouble tanking efficiently in this system, part of why I'm playing one in Arctic Advent/Khan is to try and improve.) MAYBE Warlord-style support...

To add to Paper Shadow's list. If you are a spirit, you might want to consider Ponykinesis and use that as your primary way of influencing the world around you.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Hmm...Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions for my concept. I'm definately going to need to think more about it now, but that's good, if it's more thought out, it'll probably work better in the end. I may end up making a character for either set-up and choosing which one I like best at the end of it. >.> Because I'm indecisive. As for the rainbow build...

Orange: Between red and yellow, passion and joy (Yellow's typically associated with happiness and the like.) I'd say it's a good move to have multiple purposes, especially if you chose red to be an aggressive ability. Maybe something that's useful on both offense and support roles? (IE: Siphon life, for being able to harm and heal.)

Green tends to be associated with nature and growth, so it seems to fit for a more pure supporting/healing ability.

Indigo's harder to work with...A more 'blueish' purple...Lessee...Purple seems associated with power and blue with calm, so something focused and powerful, be it a big heal or a single target attack might be good.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:19 pm

Hmm. Orange...

Drain Blood maybe?

Indigo: Radiant Blade, prehaps?

And again, whatever big finisher you do: Painbow. PLEASE, I'M BEGGING YOU!

EDIT:

I've been contemplating trying out a Necromancer build, and would like some help brainstorming for flavors that work well here. I'm aiming for something light-hearted, without being shallow or cheesy...

Not sure exactly what talents I'll take yet. Lots of Necromancer stuff, particularly Animate Bone Mite and Death Scythe. Probably gonna have some Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric stuff too; not too sure yet.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:27 pm

You know, Newton only stuck indigo in there because he thought that rainbows "ought" to have 7 seven colors. Seeing as you get 8 combat talents total, what if you drop indigo and go with ultraviolet and infrared? Ultraviolet could be something even more powerful than violet, or maybe some sort of interrupt (which can be really useful for saving your life on occasion). Infrared could a nice +3 PiP booster, if you don't have one of those yet.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Grey Pen wrote:I've been contemplating trying out a Necromancer build, and would like some help brainstorming for flavors that work well here. I'm aiming for something light-hearted, without being shallow or cheesy...

Not sure exactly what talents I'll take yet. Lots of Necromancer stuff, particularly Animate Bone Mite and Death Scythe. Probably gonna have some Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric stuff too; not too sure yet.
Light-hearted necromancer build? Isn't that some sort of contradiction? If you can explain what you mean by light-hearted necromancer, I'll have a better idea of how to help...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:47 pm

When I said "Necromancer" I meant as in the Necromancer Class Heading in the Art Of War Expansion.

Although, being a necromancer in-character has potential too... huh.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:07 pm

I think Kajisora took the approach of being a bee-o-mancer, with the necromancy talents reflavored to be summoning bees.

...Other options include random creatures showing up for your summons. Bonus points for the whole Rocky & Bullwinkle, never being what you wanted deal. "Hey, buddy, watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat!" "Again...?" "Nothin' up my sleeve...PRESTO!" *Angry badger attacks enemies.* "...Musta had the wrong hat?" Neutral
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:16 pm

An OOTS reference could be fun too.

In fact, depending on the rest of the character, there could be all kinds of OOTS references...

Also considering browsing through the SCP foundation for ideas. On second thought, no. I'd forgotten how freaky that place is...
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Considering that in Equestria rainbows apparently only have six colors instead of seven, maybe we squeeze indigo and violet together into purple and add on black and white?

Either way, as a massive superhero geek, I feel as though I must burst in with a bit of contradictory advice: why not assign each attack based on one of the Lantern Corps? (Left in spoiler because dang that's long.)
Spoiler:

I think I may talk too much, and there are probably too many negative PiP costs in there to make this setup viable, but it's a cool thought what I just put up so I think I'll keep it here.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Colter Bolt Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Light-hearted necromancer? I guess Necrar (look below in characters) would be my example of that. I know he's a little dependant on being with another in a fight, and I'm working on fixing that.
Colter Bolt
Colter Bolt
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  elfowlgirl Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:35 pm

If anyone's interested, I finally sat down and built the stupid thing.

My rainbow-themed build is as follows:

Red Rum [Draw Blood]
The Outcast Orange [Rise for Me!]
Blinding Yellow [Daredevil's Rush]
Green's Glow [Brilliant Flare]
Bounce-Back Blue [Slashback]
The Power of Purple [It's Over!]
Taste the Rainbow [Crescendo]
Pot of Gold [Critfisher]

The special is Double Painbow [Dazzling Performance].
elfowlgirl
elfowlgirl
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://elfowlgirl.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Love it Owly:D Might be a bit hard to get Purple Power, but if you Crit a couple times...
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Philadelphus wrote:You know, Newton only stuck indigo in there because he thought that rainbows "ought" to have 7 seven colors.

This. I was going to bring this up but then I would have had to provide sources and such, and it's nice to know I've been validated.

Really, what colors are in a rainbow largely depend on the person, I think, and what they see when they look at one. I see Cyan pretty clearly as a color in rainbows, for example.

And I know I'm a bit late, but I wanted to through that in, you know?

Meanwhile, twice I curse myself - first for not replying sooner, and second for not noticing the new posts. But I digress.

Been thinking a bit more on my dual-nature character... as I said earlier, a lot will depend on the campaign and the setting... although I seem to specialize in adaptable characters and general archetypes, so that shouldn't be a problem. I think one idea would be to have a... "Scholar of dark secrets" kind of character, like something out of H.P. Lovecraft's works... with far greater mental stability, mind. His particular brand of dual-nature magic could be a result of that research. In particular, I have an idea for if I go the "weapon summon" route... a spell that brings his darkest emotions to the surface, transforming both body and mind and making him a ruthless and fierce combatant.

In essence... the same thing that created Nightmare Moon.

Since he's not a princess, it's far less powerful, but he also has more control over it, fortunately for himself and his teammates. It's still not something he's particularly proud of, or willing to use lightly... which could be a pretty good incentive for him to avoid combat, since if combat happens he may need to transform and unfun things happen...

...(And I still need to pick out the rest of my character traits, like everything he'll need while he's avoiding combat... sigh... but the combat system of Pony Tales is so fun to think about!)

Also, in the bin of "Ideas that I think are kinda neat but aren't good enough for me to actually develop" is the concept of an Earth Pony who does battle by bucking heavy objects with precision at foes, a la Wild Fang from Time Crisis 3. Has the potential to be both amusing and fun.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:28 am

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_cUZddy2ATL9hpZ87PnPlkLBmmE1g3yH1qTS50UmCTE/edit

So I ended up building this character(Who I do totally intend to use as a character in an actual game at some point) but I do have one question. (And ok I just wanted to show her off cause she's adorable)

Would she be too disruptive game wise? I mean she's the type of character who I'd be rolling athletics for cashing her tail, meowing at random cats and probably attempting to eat the groups well.. actually anything that flies really and it may not need to be in a group.

I guess the question is to put it simple. Could/Should I play this character(Without making my group want to kill her) or should I shelve it and just leave it for quirky NPC territory? Also i guess any suggestions for changes that would make better sense then what I have?

Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:50 am

Hayatecooper wrote:Would she be too disruptive game wise?
Short Answer? Yes...

Your character will have a weak sense of morality, and can't communicate with any NPC or even the group (unless one member has Animal Speech or Many Tongues). Basically, other than by being curious or just doing silly things (which you know to be a clever idea out-of-character but in-character it's just a fun thing, such as pouncing on the pegasus thief, or leaping after the ancient orb of power), there is no way this character can progress the storyline. Also, every and all pegasus characters will be in trouble from your constant chasing. Soon, the GM will start abusing this and all the other basic things cats like to lead into a plethora of traps, and the character will most likely usually be a hindrance...

That said, if someone makes a light-hearted campaign, I'm sure she'll be a fine fit...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 pm

I could take out the Foreign Language flaw, meaning she could talk to the party making her more useful, I'll have to think about it more. Thanks!
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 pm

In general, seek to contribute to party unity and a good time for the players - reducing interparty conflicts whenever possible. A good gameplay experience that doesn't involve everyone arguing with one another and having to micromanage eachothers' characters makes having fun and pursuing the story a lot easier.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:49 am

OHMAGAWD GUISE, I HAVE LIKE, THE BEST CHARACTER. SHE'S AN ALICORN AN' SHE'S SO PRETTY AN' SHE'S CELESTIA'S DAUGHTER AN' BFFSIES WITH FLUTTERSHY AN' DATING RAINBOW DASH AN'...

Really can't keep this up. She is 'Most Definitely an Alicorn(tm)' and intends to be respected as such. Humph.

Spoiler:
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  RavenscroftRaven Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:20 pm

It ain't trolling.

Making a murderous mercenary minotaur or a PTSD highly racist unicorn in settings that encourage friendship and cooperation is trolling. That's just silly.

It showed me there is much in the way of cheese I have not yet achieved, as well. Some of the items seem new, and the abilities I didn't recognize all of them. I guess I don't stay up-to-date on the erratas as much as I should.

Either way, it's a decently built character. I would have her as one of those Outward->Happy, Inward->Depressed types of personalities, because she knows she's deluding herself, even if others don't. If it continued far enough (I'm extreme, by the by) I'd even have, if she was presented with irrefutable proof she was a pegasus, her try to cut off her own wings, from the seeming disdain to her own race. I think that she would fit in well with a Crapsacchrine World (no TVtropes link, you're welcome) style setting, or otherwise a level-headed setting that has mature players and problems bigger than "BBEG exists. Go kill it.".

Mechanics-wise, your utilities page is so messed up I can't comprehend it, with three different colours, four colour change points, erratas kept side by side with active abilities, it's a bit of a mess. Hide your legacy build at the very end, I'd say, for clarity, whatever it might be.

You're never going to use Dark Bargain on that build, so I don't see its point. You're just going to set "echo"s on fire like popcorn for the most part. Well, that's a lie, you're going to Wind Blade turn 1, and never look back. It's bit schizophrenic in the combat choices, like you can't decide if you want to be a fighter or a caster. And as it stands, you're (technically) pure DPS. Regardless of how it comes about, you deal X damage per turn. You don't heal (your special will hyperbole speaking never activate with the abilities you chose). You don't debuff. You don't buff. You don't do anything except put forth damage. A DM could really screw with you on that one, and a monster that Weakens your character, Dazes them, or Blinds them (when you're playing Warrior) will severely reduce their combat efficacy, while field damage will wreck the other side. If you picked a side and stuck with it, you could probably offset it, but most boss monsters (read: the only monsters who will even slightly give you trouble in this mickey-mouse setting) have status aliments AND area attacks. Despite their many forms, you're a (pardon the pun) one-trick-pony, little Alicorn.

Which might be what you're actually gunning for. Again, combat's a joke, might as well RP with it too, on her pretending to be great at many things, but really, once again, be only herself when she comes down to it. Very meta. If it was intentional, kudos, because its a fascinating take on meshing metanarrative RP and combat. I'd say keep it as is, but note that this is what she is. She is pure DPS, and if caught alone, will very likely die. She will need to rely on her friends a LOT, not only in skill-test areas (your horn blowing can knock you comatose, after all), but also in combat.
RavenscroftRaven
RavenscroftRaven
Epic Pwny

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ravenscroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:34 pm

I very much doubt that she'll cut off her own wings. She likes her pegasus powers, she just dislikes her lack of others. Wings > No Wings.

As for the combat... That's probably a good point, but I tried to plan far ahead.
I actually came up with a set of abilities for solo and multi encounters ahead of time.

The specials are kind of limited right now, but first level up she'll be taking the 'special summon' trait. Her many conjurations can do her special-ing. And that should heal her... allies. Well, now I know I need a different special.

Dark Bargain I kind of like, because it sort of hangs out as a 1/battle +4pips +12hp combo.

On the subject of defense, I mostly figured her heavy pip-gaining abilities would keep her with available misdirections in the tough solo encounters; and that her ability to chuck pips at summons would allow a blood skeleton to do a fair bit of guarding in other battles. But yes, she isn't designed to fight solo; her need of other ponies is a core part of her character.

I guess maybe I COULD try to find a healing move, but I'm not sure I want to give up any of what I have.

Daze probably would be disastrous for Chorus, but I'm not sure what I could do to avoid that.

With the ability to take only 5 talents into battle, having equipment for warrior and summoner didn't seem anything less than viable.

It probably IS a good idea to change my special to 'Form of the Juggernaut.'

Oh, and about the messy looking utilities... with the changes in flight and witchcraft being debated, I tried to place the old version and new version together on the list, one to be removed later. The red/blue coloring was supposed to help differentiate that, but I'll probably delete the blue, soon.
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next