Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Creation advice.

+24
Ramsus
sunbeam
Mind Gamer
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Zaerosz
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Stairc -Dan Felder
Hayatecooper
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
SilentBelle
Philadelphus
Caden2112
elfowlgirl
Xel Unknown
Zarhon
thematthew
Dusk Raven
Paper Shadow
Lyntermas
Grey Pen The Flawed
LoganAura
28 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Character Creation advice. - Page 3 Empty Re: Character Creation advice.

Post  Paper Shadow Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:34 pm

There was a post here regarding a character called Mirror Image, it's gone now, but since I spent a good chuck of time on this, I'm going to post it anyway, in case the person who originally posted comes back and sees it...

Spoiler:
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am

Hey, I removed Mirror once I reread the character and realized that letting it be seen before some modifications would be just plain embarrassing. As for those recommendations, I somehow failed to notice that 'distracting illusion' existed, so I'm definitely putting that on there. With 'be prepared'... I don't really have many dice-rolling moves. I didn't foresee the special being particularly important; not to mention that I don't think crippling strike is very good to begin with (even if I can use it better than most.) Most of the other talents you recommended look nice, but that's not the main problem. The big thing isn't 'what can I use?' it's 'what can I get rid of because I only get eight.' I'm already worried about having enough pips for things; but I suppose despair might be nice so I can have at least ONE attack. (I think I'm pretty much well supplied with ongoing damage already.) I'll probably repost Mirror here soon, thank you for the feedback.
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:45 am

Here's Mirror again:
Mirror Image

I can actually tolerate looking at the backstory this time... though I'm still up for design/build suggestions.
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:08 pm

So I got this idea to build a puppet master. Got the combat down pat, dominate and lots of it not very hard.

My biggest problem is I want them to be a traveling show pony, who uses Puppets in there act. I just can't think of any good Utility talents to reflect this(Also I don't know if moving puppets would be an arcana or mechanics check) so I was wondering if anyone had any advice.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:53 pm

It can be either Mechanics or Arcana, depending on if you are using your hooves or Ponykinesis, but Arcana might be better, since it allows you to hold a lot of puppets with ease, and you also get ties to History, which gives you knowledge of stories and legends, which you can uses as puppet shows. In addition, makes sure to put points into Horse-Sense...

As for Utility Talents, consider Sweet and Elite if you want your show to be popular enough that your character has access to the connections and gold that the talent provides. Instant-Party can be reflavoured so that, instead of a party, you preform a puppet show so amazing it boosts morale. Magical Tricks could be used to alter your sound for when voicing your puppets if you decide to take Arcana (although you can take it even if you don't), while Nimble Hooves could be used if you go for Mechanics to give puppets more precision. If you are looking towards other mental-manipulation stuff, to match your combat build, Detect Thoughts, Dream Stride, Memory to Mist, and Telepathy should all be considered...

Sadly, all the cool stuff which involves manipulating other creatures doesn't come until you take the Mind Sculptor Destiny...

Anything else?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Also I'd say be open to the options of Echo and Mirage for this character. They might also help with getting the character to feel like what you are aiming for.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Also I'd say be open to the options of Echo and Mirage for this character. They might also help with getting the character to feel like what you are aiming for.
Maybe. I didn't post them due to the large preparation time, using Magical Tricks instead of Echo. If Echo and Mirage does generate interest, then I'd suggest looking at Illusionary Image as well. It has a daily limit, but can do what both Echo and Mirage does with only a six second preparation time...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 pm

All of that should have been really obvious, THANK YOU! I'll get on it and post it up in an hour or so.

I think an Arcana build instead of Mechanics build would probably be better for them.

Thinking About Taking Fabricate, so I can build Puppets in game. Cause bringing them in as flavor items isn't as fun, and the idea of just building puppets out of foliage/old wood amuses me.

Edit: COMPLETE!

May I introduce you to Wooden Voice or THE PUPPET MASTER! *cue thunder and lightning effects*
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oLQ1TMwvtzCQ0NNMEheEOYBtEr-FMCEp9_u1O6qOnAQ/edit
Left the lvl 10 combat stuff in there, cause I like it it's probably not enough combat talent wise but it's all I really need.
Seriously considering taking Villainous Laughter for the persuasion bonus but that's just me.

Also have some Dairy Deliver as well cause she's cool.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X03GDDgWI0qUpVSBL-J6hZRNI9xGpI8x-SRCvqKfaCI/edit
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Tue May 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Okay, so I've been thinking up a combat build and would like some input... I've made a rough list and need some input on narrowing them down a tad...

[+2] Psychic Anomaly - Standard Utility
You and target enemy suffer vulnerability 4 (save ends).

[+2] Perfect Focus - Standard Utility
You gain resist 3 until the end of your next turn. At the start of your next turn, if you have not taken damage since you last used this ability, you gain 2 more pips.

[+1] Gather Energy - Standard Utility
On your next turn, you may take 2 standard actions. You cannot use this talent two turns in a row.

[+1] Fireball - Standard Attack
Deal 1d8 damage to target creature and each creature adjacent to the target.

[-1] Whirling Blades - Minor Attack
Deal 1d4 damage to target creature. If you roll a 3 or higher, the creature suffers vulnerability 1 to your attacks until the end of your next turn.

[-2] Chain Lightning - Standard Attack
Deal 1d10 to target creature. If you roll a 6 or higher you may copy this effect, choosing a new target for the copy.

[-3] Exploit Weakness – Standard Attack
Deal 2d8 damage to target creature. If that creature is suffering from vulnerability, deal 3d8 damage to it instead.

[-7] Sunburst - Standard Attack
Deal 3d8 damage to target creature. You and up to four allies can make a saving throw with a +5 bonus.

[-9] Call Lightning - Standard Attack
Deal 3d12 damage to target creature, and 1d12 damage to each creature adjacent to it.

[-7] Granite Axe – Minor Utility
You conjure a Granite Axe in your hands. You can dismiss the Granite Axe as a free action. While you are wielding a Granite Axe, you cannot use your other combat talents.

Granite Axe Talents:

Anyway, my plan is to do something like this:

Turn 1: Gather Energy.
Turn 2: If facing multiple foes, I can use 2 of either Perfect Focus, Fireball, or Chain Lightning as I see fit. If facing a single foe or a powerful foe is on the field, Psychic Anomaly + Exploit Weakness.
Turn 3: Gather Energy, repeat process.
Whirling Blades can be used at any point if I don't intend to save up for the higher-pip cost moves, and if I roll a 3 or higher it can even let me swap out Psychic Anomaly for another talent during even-numbered turns.

Now, it never hurts to have a high-pip move, especially given the pips I may well generate, so I've listed a few examples. I listed Granite Axe because a weapon summon talent fits with the flavor I had in mind (preferably some sort of weapon of mass destruction as its "vanish" talent, I thought GA was good for that), but most weapons will do, as will a number of other talents. I've gone entirely with damage-dealing because that's what fits the flavor I had in mind, but since I only really need 5 or 6 (the moves listed in the turns), the others can be... pretty much whatever. Suggestions?
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun May 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Depends, what items (and if you are level 2 or above, traits) are you planning to take with the build?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Sun May 12, 2013 7:37 pm

For items I was thinking:

Wand of Fireballs - 1000 Gold
Weapon
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.

[+1] Explosive Fireball - Standard Attack [1/Battle]
Deal 2d10 damage to target creature and each creature adjacent to the target.

Amulet of Protection - 500 Gold
Trinket
You begin battles with 4 temporary hp.

Ring of Resilience - 500 Gold
Trinket
You gain a +3 bonus to saving throws.

Talisman of Weapons - 1000 Gold
Trinket
Once per battle, if you possess a Conjure Weapon combat talent, you may reduce the cost of the Conjure Weapon talent by 3 pips. This cannot reduce the cost to below 0.

Although I may replace Talisman of Weapons for something else. As for traits, definitely going to take Dual Wielder at some point. Other than that, I'll either go a "DPT" route or a "Tank" route... or at least durability.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sun May 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Well, Dual Wielder is pretty baller...

I think you'd do best going full DPS here and rely on another player to tank for you. Since you have Whirling Blades, maybe consider taking Midnight's Blade so you can constantly pump out the extra six damage. Also, remember that you can only swap a combat talent for another one once per battle, so when you say "if I roll a 3 or higher it can even let me swap out Psychic Anomaly for another talent during even-numbered turns", keep in mind you won't be able to swap Psychic Anomaly back in...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Sun May 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Well, when I said "swap out" I meant "don't need to use Psychic Anomaly to give an enemy Vulnerability and I can use another talent instead."

I may have some tankish items or traits, nonetheless, since the DPT-er is going to be targeted by the enemy, most likely, and the rest of the party may not be able to block that.

Special Move will likely be Derpy's Lightning, by the way.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 am

I'm trying to figure out a way for my character to stick(And walk around thanks to the amazingness that is chewing gum) the underside of roofs and along walls and such without having to Arcana it/spend every session saying I build chewing gum to stick on my characters hooves, also I want to play a Zebra

Suggestions?

So far I just have a stupid, stupid amount of FK(8 to be exact) and most involving sticking to surfaces while upside down, above ponies, above pony made objects and suchlike. But I'm not sure what the skill check would be.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/164rhvu5dsXFdNMilS-PIuI49y2wwxcYz8wFdqLvYSa8/edit

Have an unfinished character sheet for kicks.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:29 am

Hayatecooper wrote:I'm trying to figure out a way for my character to stick(And walk around thanks to the amazingness that is chewing gum) the underside of roofs and along walls and such without having to Arcana it/spend every session saying I build chewing gum to stick on my characters hooves, also I want to play a Zebra.

Suggestions?

So far I just have a stupid, stupid amount of FK(8 to be exact) and most involving sticking to surfaces while upside down, above ponies, above pony made objects and suchlike. But I'm not sure what the skill check would be.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/164rhvu5dsXFdNMilS-PIuI49y2wwxcYz8wFdqLvYSa8/edit

Have an unfinished character sheet for kicks.
Your best bet is Spider Climb racial, which you already have, combined with the enchanting utility of the same name (Spider Climb) which lets you apply it to yourself or others. Both combined give you a +25 climb bonus (assuming they stack - asked in questions thread).

As for the freaky knowledge spam, half of those appear to do the same thing (rephrased differently), or cancel each other out, or are "always in effect" so any reasonable DM would ban half of those. I'm also fairly certain the DM and anyone else involved (including you) would quickly get annoyed/bored by the amount of rules-lawyering and bonus-referencing every single check would bring.

Skill check is either acrobatics (hanging upside down and such) or athletics (climbing), or endurance (not getting tired and losing your grip as a result).

If its a zebra, just make a homebrew earth pony (accent/rhyming/Bridle Gossip racial optional).
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:15 pm

I know a DM wouldn't let me take them but Gum is more a show case character for the moment, I just wanted to see how many FKs I could give a lvl 1 character. Turns out the total is actually 9 but I couldn't take Adaptable to get Cultural Knowledge again.

Those were my thoughts in terms of the abilities used but not sure if you'd just be allowed to roll them flat to do it or if you'd have to actually have an item/use a spell.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:I know a DM wouldn't let me take them but Gum is more a show case character for the moment, I just wanted to see how many FKs I could give a lvl 1 character. Turns out the total is actually 9 but I couldn't take Adaptable to get Cultural Knowledge again.
More if you took the Magic Element...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 pm

I would, but Adaptable costs a Magic Point to use.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:I would, but Adaptable costs a Magic Point to use.
You mean the Adaptable which you said can't be used to take Cultural Knowledge?

Also, Magic still gives more, because, if we are looking at the most possible amount of FK one can get, not the most probable, then Magic can be used multiple times thanks to things like Instant-Party, while Adaptable can only be used once...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Oh right
yeah I'm with you
Sorry I thought you meant in general and not just Gum Drop(Who I have to use somewhere but with a lot less FK).

But Paper, you're really smart. If you were DM for this character(Minus the stupid FK spam) how would you handle walking/sticking to the underside of a roof/wall bouncing/walking around on walls?
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:12 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:But Paper, you're really smart. If you were DM for this character(Minus the stupid FK spam) how would you handle walking/sticking to the underside of a roof/wall bouncing/walking around on walls?
I think I already am a DM for a character who can do this (they are a spider-pony), and I've allowed it with Athletics/Acrobatics. Flavour is power, and this system encourages flavour. I have a player in a campaign with a sniper rifle, and it makes sense that they can use the sniper rifle to cripple a fleeing thief using their sniper rifle, and it makes sense that he uses Perception to aim and to make the shot. However, from a mechanical standpoint, I am allowing a player to take down a creature from a distance using Perception. That makes no sense whatsoever, but I've realised that it doesn't really matter, because as a DM, flavour is power I can use against my players as well. I consider my players opponents that I want to lose to, but still give them a run for their money. Pretty much every character has something in their flavour which increases their power (in your case, bubblegum which allows them to stick to things), but they also have a weakness due to flavour (in your case, ponies find Gum Drop weird), and it's a weakness the player wants, which is the best part. It's a two-bladed sword which should be embraced for maximum fun...

Also, even if I don't allow it, you'd just reflavour it as something that makes more sense, such as suction cups. You still get the advantage and it makes more sense, but it's less fun...

Actually, I'm interested in what you took to get 9 FKs, because I think you may have forgotten something if you were including Adaptable in that 9...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Well, i didn't do 9(mainly cause I worked out I can't actualy do 9 only 8 stupid maths and my inability to count) for Gum Drop but if I was going to build one it would be
5 Fks for normal level 1 stuff
1 FK for Cultural knowledge
1 FK for Naturally skilled
1 FK for Adapatable/Element of Magic

So I can get to 8? Which seems to be max. Man, I thought I'd figured out how to get 9.. now I feel terrible.

Also thanks Paper. That helped a lot, so flavor without having to take arcana to actually have to build Wall climbing Gun is nice.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:23 am

Hayatecooper wrote:Well, i didn't do 9(mainly cause I worked out I can't actualy do 9 only 8 stupid maths and my inability to count) for Gum Drop but if I was going to build one it would be
5 Fks for normal level 1 stuff
1 FK for Cultural knowledge
1 FK for Naturally skilled
1 FK for Adapatable/Element of Magic

So I can get to 8? Which seems to be max. Man, I thought I'd figured out how to get 9.. now I feel terrible.
Ah, I thought you were missing out on something. You didn't take Personal Project, which can give you two more (although very dangerous) Freaky Knowledges, increasing the unassisted amount of FK a level 1 player can get to 10...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:08 am

Huh true
Now we need to figure out a way of actually using all of these FKs in a way that won't make a DM cry Razz
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaerosz Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:07 am

Um. Hi there, complete newbie to the system here. And also to the forum. So I'd like to join a campaign over Skype (any campaign that would take a newbie, really) but I need a character to do that. Reading over the rulebooks, I'm thinking a unicorn scholar might be interesting, roleplay-wise, but I'm not sure how a character like that could be any particular use as much more than an exposition fountain or somesuch. Which is rather an issue, because this character has gotten wedged into my brain and won't go away. Can anyone suggest a build for a Knowledge/Horse-Sense based scholar that isn't a complete deadweight in any major areas, e.g. combat? Or, failing that, something similar-ish if possible? Preferably involving the Sweet and Elite utility talent, that sounds like a lot of fun.
Zaerosz
Zaerosz
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next