Khan of the Steppes

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Khan of the Steppes

Post  Quietkal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 am

Zane takes a moment to stretch before speaking again.
"It would be best if we began our journey; we have a long trip before us.
I would not give Crimson Hoof too much worry. It is possible that he won't make a fuss."
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:29 pm

"Hope you're right. I don't like leaving things like this to bite us in the tail when we're not looking, but I understand the reasoning." Silver scowled, leaning her staff against her shoulder to cross her arms for a moment as she thought before taking it up again. "If we're going, let's get started. He's right, it's going to be a long trip. Standing here arguing won't achieve anything..."
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 am

Zane nods, shifts the yurt slightly, and begins heading in the direction of home.
OOC Notes:
Poke poke. I'm guessing we have 2 or 3 posts of small talk before Crimson Hoof attacks.
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:33 am

The party takes the pass leading in the direction given to them by Zane, that should lead them most quickly to the Mist Tails. After a couple hours, you reach the top of the pass, and can see the path leading down through the fairly forested foothills of the mountains, followed by endless steppe. There has been no sign of Crimson Hoof yet- he had apparently left the Meet just before, and either took a different route, or is hidden among the trees and hills. The weather is very clear, with no clouds in sight this side of the mountains, and almost no wind. Nopony else seems to be taking this exact route right now, although you can't see behind at this point, and much of the path ahead is obscured as it winds through the forest down the sides of the mountain.
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile http://turtlgandalf.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:53 am

"Just to be on the safe side here, I will scout ahead." Anemone says before taking off to make sure the path ahead held no dangers or problems.

Perception: 19 + 1 + 6 + 15 = 41 + 5 from FK Tracking if applicable
DF Knowledge: 5 + 4 = 9. 15 - 9 = 6

Stealth: 10 + 1 + 13 = 24
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 am

Anenome scouts ahead, and in particular is able to take a good look at the tracks of those who went before her. The most recent tracks were two ponies, whose tracks have left traces of red paint, from at least an hour ago. Under those are a mix of tracks of ponies and buffalo who left very early in the morning. Thanks to the good weather, even tracks from the previous day are preserved enough for her to see them, although they are less clear and covered by later tracks, and include a mix of most of the races present at the Meet. No tracks veer off of the path or disappear as far as Anenome can see.

The path ahead seems clear, with no visible obstructions or traps. A waterfall can be heard not far from the path. There is some wildlife consisting of small mammals and birds who are startled when Anenome is suddenly near after her sudden approach. A bird seems to be circling overhead for the whole scouting trip.

Deep Focus?:
I'm not sure if that's how Deep Focus works... although it's a wierd "flaw" and I'm not sure how it works. Looks to me from how its worded that you roll perception whenever you do a knowledge check, getting a bonus to the knowledge check, not vice versa./
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:04 am

Anemone returns to the group and tells them of her findings in general and particularly notes, "The red paint may have been from Red Hooves. There is a watefall nearby where I think would be a good place for us to stop and rest. That bird up there may be a spy as I noticed it was following me, are any of us skilled with animals?" She looked up at the bird with only her eyes, wary to tip it off that she had noticed its behavior.

Oops, you're totally right. I wonder how I got that mixed up. scratch
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:23 pm

With no regard to stealth, Zane just looks up to the bird and calls to it.
"Pardon me friend, but if you could please come down here?
My associate was wondering why it is you fly so near."

OOC Notes:
Call Animal being used, if it wasn't clear. 3/4 uses for the day remaining.
Animal Magnetism should set the bird to friendly when it gets down here, unless it already dislikes us.
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:54 pm

At first it looks like the bird is not going to respond to the call, but it begins circling lower, before diving down and flying up and settling on a low branch on a nearby tree. From Zane's Animal Empathy, he can tell that the bird is still alert and wary of the party. The bird had seemed surprised when Zane called it- but this was a delayed reaction, that had not occurred immediately after shouting up to it.

It then emanates a feeling of pride. In its talons, it has caught a rabbit. Only halfheartedly poking at its catch, it seems that it caught this prey as an excuse to pretend it came down of its own accord, and not because it was compelled to. It lets out a screech.

Zane understands: "Not zebra friend. I was watching. Have to fly near to watch. Silly to fly far."
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Zane nods understandingly at the screech.
"Yes I do agree; that would be quite ridiculous.
But it also raises the query: why are you watching us?"

Persuasion, if necessary:
Persuasion: 1d20+10+1
24 (13+10+1)
Also, what sort of bird is this?
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:28 pm

After another strange pause, the eagle replies. "Because Pony told..." the eagle ruffles its feathers "No, Pony asked me to. Silly Pony, thinks he is master. Ha!" The eagle screeches again "Doesn't understand I hunt with him because he is useful. And amusing! You would think Pony was blind, he sees nothing! But joke is he's not blind. Just stupid. Most ponies stupid. Gazelle seem less stupid, good at noticing." He nods his head towards Anenome. "So I find things for Pony. And Pony help me hunt! Pony better at killing things. Bigger things! And Pony only one who talks to me. Other than Zebra now!"
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Anemone looks at Zane and the rather animate bird, thinks about asking what's up, and then figures it'd be better to just not interrupt Zane.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:48 pm

Zane shrugs casually and smiles.
"I will remain free to converse as long as you care to.
Most ponies don't speak the verse and can't give you your due."

Zane pauses, his expression becoming more serious before he speaks again.
"I'm afraid I have a rather direct question, please do not be affronted.
I would appreciate total discretion...are we being hunted?"

Rolls:
Persuasion: 1d20+10+1= 23
12+10+1
Does Zane know any rumors about a pony hunter that is allied with an eagle?
I'll burn a Bridle Gossip on this (if that last statement counts). 4/5 left for the day.
History: 1d20+5+1= 22
12 12 16+5+1
I'm guessing not, as that's an obscure/specific thing to know about.
I'd roll Streetwise, but that's talking to a town without actually talking to them. Or figuring out how a society works. Regardless, I don't think it's applicable.
Way too many 12's here.
Also, bleh. Sorry for taking so long on this post.
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:39 pm

The eagle watches as Zane speaks before replying. "Oh no, not hunted. First comes the tracking, then the hunting. I track, Pony hunts. As if could hunt ponies!" The eagle starts making a hacking noise in its throat that translates to Zane as laughter. It makes a grasping motion with its talons towards the group, and takes off, still holding the rabbit in a talon, hovering before landing back on the branch. "Haha! Hunt, carry ponies! Only been told- asked to watch. Would ignore request to hunt and laugh in Pony's face! So enjoyable to speak with Zebra. More amusing than Pony. Don't know how Zebra speaks- doesn't know the signs like Pony. Even other eagles do not know the signs- can't understand other eagles! But Zebra speaks without signs."

Zane History Check:
Zane has heard of hunters using eagles to track prey and catch small game, but not of any specific famous eagle-pony pair. Golden eagles are one of the most commonly used, and are not rare on the steppes. Even though specific clans have particular respect for the species, or use them as symbols as Udus Khan's clan does, just about anypony could be working with the eagle.
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 am

Zane smiles at the eagle's joke about a bird hunting ponies.
"You would need to be much larger to carry off a pone; that is for sure!"
Zane chuckles and points to himself, then swooshes his hoof through the air and begins making faces as if he had been carried off, which sets off a bout of laughter.
After a not long but definitely noticeable amount of time, his laughter drops from full-force to mild chuckling. Zane wipes his eyes as he turns to the group, a smile still on his face.
"Hahah...hah...You can proceed to the rest zone; we are in no immediate danger."
He finishes chuckling, turning to the eagle again.
"It is true, I have been raised to speak without the use of signs.
I have found that most will understand if you just take your time."

OOC Notes:
I...don't believe I have anything to roll.
Zane's laughter is genuine, so he doesn't need a bluff roll for that.
He's not trying to convince the eagle of anything.
There shouldn't be a Persuasion roll against the party for telling them it's cool, they should just react however they will.
I could roll so I knew what the eagle means by 'signs,' but I'm lazy and pretty sure I covered it well enough.
I could roll for geniality? I guess?
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:16 am

"Would you mind telling us what it told you? Not offense meant but, we may have insight you do not." Anemone replies.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Zane nods in response.
"A fair point, I did not mean to make you excluded.
The first thing he said was that you were not stupid.

After which, he mentioned a hunter pony who appears blind.
This hunter asked him to track us, and so us he did find.

There was also a joke about him carrying one of us away.
This is everything he has said today."

Zane chuckles at the mention of the joke, clearly not worried about the fact that they're going to be hunted.
Notes:
What's the eagle feeling now? Specifically: apprehension?

Not sure why I'm having Zane be so nonchalant about being hunted. (shrug)
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:19 pm

"I....see. Can you ask it to describe this pony and if it's already reported back to them?" Anemone asks.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Steele had been quiet through this exchange for a reason...Mostly her inability to speak bird. She glanced at the others, though. "So...someone's tracking us. Bucking wonderful...Better not be anyone from the meet, I behaved myself there too...! Ah, I'll keep an eye out then as well...He can't be too far if he's using a bird to track us..."

Spoiler:
Perception to see if anyone's nearby other than the party:
1d20+10 = 10+10 = 20. Solidly mediocre. XD
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Waschbaer on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 pm

Wow, Book Smart thought to himself, I didn't know zebras could talk to birds! Maybe it's the rhyming that does it. He watched Zane's side of the conversation, intrigued by this new form of communication. Hmm... that wouldn't explain how he understands the bird, though. Pondering this, he barely paid attention to what the zebra was actually saying.

As Zane finished his talk with a series of strange hoof movements, a new thought occurred to Book Smart. I know! It's some kind of interpretive dance! With gestures and rhymes! Watching the bird make a motion with a talon and the zebra burst into laughter, Book Smart was sure he was onto the right idea.

Unable to contain his excitement any longer, Book gave a short hop as he exclaimed, "Zane! That's amazing! You know the secret dance-language of birds? How does that work? I've seen things like that with fish and sometimes bees, but not birds!" Looking around and realizing that he'd interrupted a conversation, Book Smart glanced sheepishly back at Anemone and Steele. "Um, I guess someone's looking for us, too. That's important. Still, bird talking! Can you do other animals?"

OOC Notes:
And that's Book Smart's interpretation of this conversation! I guess he's not that worried about someone hunting us, either.

Waschbaer
Background Pony
Background Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:15 pm

The eagle does not seem to be responding to Zane talking to the rest of the group. He is watching the group closely, but does not seem to understand anything that is being said (even by Zane)- or at least is not responding physically or emotionally to the conversation. He seems curious what is going on, still a little amused, and beginning to get a bit impatient or anxious.
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:48 am

Zane nods at Anemone's request, before turning to Silver Steele the Minotaur.
"Thank you, I am sure that we all will appreciate the warning."
Zane turns to respond to Book Smart.
"I can, in fact! Plants are also within my reach...though spirits remain outside of my learning."
Zane nods in Cau'rha's direction, acknowledging his skills at the current subject, before facing the changeling-unicorn again.
"Learning to speak with critters is made easier if you have a guide,
For you must alter your own natural magic to have it coincide."

Zane turns back to the the eagle, a gentle smile on his face.
"I apologize, my friends do not know the signs, but wished to know what we speak about.
Conferring about you and your ally were our lines; I hope you do not think it a flout.
You have said that you track and that Pony hunts.
I think that I might have met your companion once.
But just so I may know if I am thinking of a phony,
Would you please describe the appearance of Pony?"

R&N:
Rolls and notes.
This seems a suitably necessary thing to burn another Bridle Gossip on. 3/5 left for the day.
Persuasion: 1d20+10+1=22
7 2 11+10+1
Bleh, awful roll.
Rhyming constantly is less fun than advertised, though it does come with a vague satisfaction afterwards.
I'll probably get back to the ABAB rhyme scheme...at some point.
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42 pm

The eagle watches as Zane speaks one more time, and waits even a couple seconds longer than usual to reply.

"Meh, all Ponies look same. Have delayed too long for chitchat. Bye!" The eagle drops the remains of its meal, flaps its wings and starts to hurriedly take off back into the air.
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Anemone doesn't understand bird-speak but, hazards a guess that that was too quick a response from the bird to have given the information they wanted. She whipped her bow off her back and fired a net arrow at the bird.

She then turns to Zane and says, "Give the bird my apologies if it did in fact give you the information we require. If not, convince it to do so please friend. I would rather not have to kill it for fear of who it reports to."

Athletics: 11 + 1 + 10 (Gotcha!) + 16 = 38
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:01 pm

The eagle tries to dodge the arrow, but sees it too late. It struggles with the net as it falls to no avail, and hitting the ground its furious attempts to claw the net away only serves to entangle its talons, wiping the rest of the rabbit blood off of its talons and onto parts of the net.
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top