All About Familiars

Go down

All About Familiars

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

So, a while back there was some casual discussion on the subject of Familiars, and various variations thereof. During my absence, I've been given some time to think about this. Here is what I have come up with:

Summon Familiar - Magic
You can summon a Familiar to any spot within 50 ft of you. This Familiar has 5 in each attribute, 1 trained skill, and 1 Utility Talent (other than this one), which you select when you take this talent. The Familiar will help in any way that it can, but cannot enter combat, and will not risk it's own existence or other perceived valuables (friends, treasure, etc.) without a Persuasion Check (DC set at GM's discretion). The Familiar "wears off" after 24 Hours or when dismissed by the one who summoned it.

Improved Familiar
Prerequisite: Summon Familiar
Your Familiar gains an additional Utility Talent. This talent can be taken multiple times.

Improved Summoning
Prerequisite: Summon Familiar
You may now summon your Familiar to any spot within 1 mile of you.

Any questions? Criticisms? Ideas?
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: All About Familiars

Post  SilentBelle on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Maybe a talent to possess the familiar, I always found those useful.

Maybe one to switch locations with the familiar

And maybe add to the original familiar summoning. When you can see your familiar, you are treated as automatically assisted in any check that the familiar is trained in.

Maybe instead of having a talent to grant the familiar talents, have something like this included in the 'Summon Familiar talent'. For every talent you take that has 'Summon Familiar' as a prerequisite, your familiar gains a utility talent that it meets the prerequisite for. This then gives incentive for the player to be pumping up their familiar, where as giving your familiar a utility talent at the price of your own probably wouldn't be a good idea for most players.

Also include what it's stats are. I'd say a 5 in everything, then you can get a talent that increases it's stats to an even 7.

So those are some quick ideas, hope they make sense Smile
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 pm

I made a boon some time ago, that revolves around familiars/pets.

I'm thinking the utility talent should be a 1/session rather than a magic point, since otherwise, you end up the entire campaign without a magic point (assuming you summon the familiar each day).

Improved summoning seems pretty pointless/worthless. Why would you need to summon your familiar a mile away?

Should also clarify on how the familiar is treated in regards to:

- prerequisite talent requirements
- racials, due to the varied nature of the familiars (a bat for instance is flight+echolocation, and would be impossible if it only has one utility and no racials)
- magic-point utility usage
- familiars having other "familiar utilities" (e.g. improved summoning or it's own version of "summon familiar")
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:16 pm

SB first:

Possessing/Switching with the Familiar sounds like a good idea. So does the trained skill assist thingy, as well as (frankly) a slight general buffing.

Utility Talents: I like your idea there, though I still think we need an option for just additional Utility Talents.

Stats: They are included, and they are all at 5 (I call them attributes instead though). Not for balance reasons, but for simplicity; it's easier to remember that way.

Though that may not prove to be an issue...

And now Zarhon:

1/session: That is a thought; though it would need to last longer than 24 hours.

Improved Summoning: (Hereafter "ImpSum") essentially provides versatility. If I'm in the middle of a dungeon, and decide (heaven forbid) that I need outside help, the Familiar is a perfect choice to send for it... ImpSum lets me put him directly outside the dungeon, saving valuable time that he would otherwise waste crawling back out of it first.

Or maybe some distant ally of mine could really use that Enchanting talent my Familiar has... ImpSum again lets me put him either right next to that ally, or at least a mile closer than normal.

Talent Prerequisites: I fail to see the confusion. We'll take Flight for an easy example. So we want our familiar to fly, huh? Okay, the Utility Talent he starts with is IALF. Want to fly better? Take a Familiar Improvement and take Flight. And then Flight School, and etc.

Magic Points: By default, Familiars have no MP. You could give him Derp, and again give him a Familiar Improvement so he can take The Stare or Create Crazy Contraption or whatever... but, you still spend a Magic Point of your own in the process, so it balances for the ability to not have to be present to use a Mgaic talent.

Unless we change it to 1/X. Then it's problematic.

Familiar within a Familiar: I thought of this. The talent explicitly states that Familiars can't take "Summon Familiar" (if not obviously), and by extension any improvements thereof. Go look.

Racials: I contemplated saying that it had X amount of racial points instead... but thought better. I figured it would be a little too confusing, but maybe not.

Will update later tonight. I'll also change around some names... there's a terrible, groan inducing pun just screaming to be made here.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down