Element Upgrades

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Element Upgrades

Post  Greywander on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 pm

So I've got an idea that once you reach a certain level, your Element gets to improve slightly to a different one, a slightly better version. This is meant to keep the Element relevant even when you're high level and have a lot of other abilities competing for that one magic point, and also represents your character's growth during his or her adventures. More than that, each Element has two upgrade options, a "pure" option and a "corrupted" option. This is sort of meant to be in conjunction with this other idea, where leveling up to level 8 in Harmony gives a pure upgrade for an Element of Harmony, while leveling up to level 8 in Anarchy first gives a corrupted upgrade to an Element of Harmony. Note also that I've created some Elements of Anarchy, which would work the other way around (Anarchy give pure, Harmony gives corrupted). Quick fix for Living Legends: discard the idea of "pure" and "corrupted", there's just two distinct upgrades depending on which level up track you reach level 8 in first.

The upgrade options would be as follows (by the way, the names for the pure Elements of Harmony are a reference to something I've been working on, so that's why they might sound a little strange):

Loyalty:
Loyalty
Big Adventure - Magic
Remove all mind-affecting effects from you and all allies in sight. (This works for psychic, intimidation, fear, mind-control… anything that affects the minds of the characters.)

Upgrades to...

Devotion (Pure)
Eagle on the Wind - Magic
You move at incredible speed to the side of target ally within sight of you, and all attempts to impede you fail. Upon reaching your ally, you immediately remove negative effects such as mind control, demoralization, poison, debilitation, natural or unnatural sleep, and free them from restrictions such as chains or ropes. This will not heal injuries, or revive dead or unconscious characters.

Treachery (Discorded)
The Fifth Column - Magic
Order target creature within sight to perform a single task. The target is compelled to execute the task immediately, doing everything in their power to complete the task, with a DC 40 Horse-Sense check to resist the compulsion. You may give the target any task (except tasks that are directly harmful to the target*), but if the task is not completed within 10 minutes, the compulsion will wear off. The target will remember everything that happens while under the compulsion.
*"Directly harmful" means commands like, "Jump off that cliff," or, "Take a bath in that acid." Commands such as, "Shoot as many cops as you can," are fine, as they only pose a potential for harm. The creature being manipulated will do their best to insure their own survival while still carrying out the command.
Laughter:
Laughter
Tons of Fun - Magic
Roll a d100. Activate the corresponding effect on the Tons of Fun effect table. (Yes, this is like a Rod of Wonder. DMs are encouraged to create their own “Tons of Fun” tables.)

Upgrades to...

Optimism (Pure)
The Light of Joy - Magic
Roll a d100. Activate the corresponding effect on the Divine Intervention effect table. The target for Divine Intervention can be chosen after rolling for the effect. If the effect is determined to not be helpful, then you may reroll once and take the new effect. (Yes, this is like a Rod of Wonder. DMs can reuse the "Tons of Fun" table if they choose, or can optionally create a separate "Divine Intervention" table.)

Madness (Discorded)
Storm of Chaos - Magic
Roll three d100s. Activate the corresponding effects on the Sadistic Laughter effect table. The targets for Sadistic Laughter is chosen at random, though it will never hit you, and you may extend the same protection to your party members (though this is optional). (Yes, this is like a Rod of Wonder. DMs can reuse the "Tons of Fun" table if they choose, or can optionally create a separate "Sadistic Laughter" table.)
Generosity:
Generosity
A Beautiful Heart - Magic
Provide a +15 bonus to an ally’s skill check.

Upgrades to...

Charity (Pure)
The Gift of Life - Magic
Treat the result of an ally's skill check as a natural 20, regardless of the actual result. In exchange, you must reroll the next natural 20 you roll on a skill check.

Envy (Discorded)
If I Can't Have It - Magic
Treat the result of a creature's skill check as a natural 1, regardless of the actual result. In exchange, you must reroll the next natural 20 you roll on a skill check.
Honesty:
Honesty
Faithful and Strong - Magic
Target helpless creature must answer 3 questions truthfully without distortion.

Upgrades to...

Integrity (Pure)
The Strong Tower - Magic
An aura of light extends from you, and for the next half hour or until you end the effect, all creatures within 20 feet of you, including yourself, must only speak the truth without distortion. Cosmic retribution is visited instantly upon any who utter a deception while under this effect.

Deceit (Discorded)
False Testimony - Magic
Target creature will absolutely believe one statement you say to them. If their belief is denounced by someone they trust, they may cease believing if they pass a DC35 Horse-Sense check, and if confronted with solid evidence against that belief, they may cease believing if they pass a DC25 Horse-Sense check.
Kindness:
Kindness
Sharing Kindness (It’s an easy feat.) - Magic
Make one hostile creature temporarily non-hostile. Target hostile creature is not hostile for the next five minutes or until something happens that would cause it to become hostile again. For example, you might calm an enraged guard long enough to explain the situation, but attacking him mid-conversation would cause him to be hostile once more.

Upgrades to...

Compassion (Pure)
The Miracle of Love - Magic
For the next 10 minutes, creatures within 100 feet of you are not allowed to engage in hostile action against one another. This includes both combat and non-combat hostilities.

Wrath (Discorded)
Rage ex Machina - Magic
For the next five minutes, target creature within sight will viciously attack the closest creature to them, and all who attempt to subdue them, unless they pass a DC 40 Horse-Sense check. You may only target characters not already engaged in hostile actions. They will not have any memory of their rage or anything they did at the time.
Magic:
Magic
Magic Makes It All Complete - Magic
Choose a utility talent that you meet the prerequisites for. For the next five minutes you may use that talent, You must still meet other pre-requisites.

Upgrades to...

Leadership (Pure)
The Bond Unbroken - Magic
Choose a utility talent that target ally meets the prerequisites for. For the next ten minutes, that ally may use that talent. You may not target yourself with this ability.

Strife (Discorded)
Poor Communication Kills - Magic
For the next ten minutes, up to six creatures within sight are unable to comprehend one another.

Last edited by Greywander on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greywander
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Element Upgrades

Post  Greywander on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:00 am

Hmm, looking back on these, I can't say I'm pleased with all of them. Laughter most effectively demonstrates what I was going for, in that it's a similar, but altered effect that is more powerful than the base form. Honesty... I think I let my feelings on how Honesty works in-game and how I think it should work leak through. I just tweaked it, but the old versions can be found under a spoiler not anymore, got rid of them. ...Speaking of spoilers, I'm going to make this all slightly more readable. I still feel like I was grasping at straws for some of these, so I'm open to suggestions.

And now, since I have nothing better to do: The Elements of Anarchy!

Pride:
Pride
Inspiring Confidence - Magic
Remove all demoralizing effects from you and all party members in sight, and you gain a +1 morale bonus to skill checks for the rest of the day.

Upgrades to...

Dignity (Pure)
Bow to None - Magic
Removes all negative effects such as mind control, demoralization, poison, debilitation, natural or unnatural sleep, from yourself and free yourself from restrictions such as chains or ropes. You also gain +1 morale bonus to skill checks for the rest of the day.

Elitism (Conformed)
Sense of Entitlement - Magic
You gain all the same positive effects as all characters within sight of you.
Mercy:
Mercy
Velvet and Steel - Magic
Make a group of defeated, but not killed, enemies fear and respect you, making them easier to persuade, and making them less willing to defy you in the future. You must have both ability and motivation to finish off the targets of this ability in order for it to work.

Upgrades to...

Grace (Pure)
The King's Favor - Magic
A defeated, but not killed enemy will become permanently friendly toward you. While you may have to fight them again in the future, they will always treat you honorably, and will sometimes help you out when you are not fighting. You must have both ability and motivation to finish off the target of this ability in order for it to work.

Fairness (Conformed)
Equal Wrongs - Magic
When activated, the next time your party is defeated (within a three day time limit), you will be shown the same treatment that you show to the targets of this ability. You may only target a group of defeated enemies, and you must have both ability and motivation to finish off the target of this ability in order for it to work.
Wisdom:
Wisdom
Quick Study - Magic
For the next five minutes, you may make skill checks using other characters' skills instead of your own. You must have observed the characters using those skills before. This is not limited to party members.

Upgrades to...

Insight (Pure)
Secret Knowledge - Magic
For the next five minutes, your skills are set to that of the highest value you've observed another character using. This is not limited to party members.

Compliance (Conformed)
Lowest Common Sense - Magic
For the next five minutes, all creatures within sight have their base skill values set to 5.
Creativity:
Creativity
Let There Be Light - Magic
Treat an attempt to craft an item as a CMC without needing to roll a skill check, even if it doesn't use your CM skill.

Upgrades to...

Genius (Pure)
God's Forge - Magic
Treat an attempt to craft an item as a CMC without needing to roll a skill check, even if it doesn't use your CM skill, and that item has a magical enchantment on it.

Routine (Conformed)
Replicate - Magic
You are able to create an exact duplicate of any item you've touched, so long as you have the base materials, without needing to roll any skill checks.
Courage:
Courage
Do the Impossible - Magic
Set the difficulty of a skill check you are performing to DC20.

Upgrades to...

Audacity (Pure)
Beyond the Impossible - Magic
Instead of rolling a normal skill check, flip a coin. On heads, you pass, on tails, you fail.

Obedience (Conformed)
Don't Rock the Boat - Magic
Automatically pass a skill check with a DC of 30 or less without having to roll.
Power:
Power
Ambition is Power
You start each day with an extra Magic point.

Upgrades to...

Authority (Pure)
Spirit of Kings
Start each day with an extra Magic point. Additionally, whenever you expend a Magic point, roll 1d4. On a 4, gain a Magic point.

Submission (Conformed)
Public Servant
Any time a character within sight expends a Magic point, roll 1d4. On a 4, gain a Magic point.
Yes, Conformity is the counterpart to Discord.

Last edited by Greywander on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Greywander
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:30 pm

A bit like my Harmonious elements these, except a lot more rigid and unflexibile.

Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Greywander on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Could you be a bit more specific? Simply saying they're "rigid and inflexible" doesn't really tell me what's wrong with them.

Also, I just finished tweaking these based on earlier feedback from Skype. Also, to clarify, as there was some confusion in Skype, these are meant to be late level upgrades to the Elements. They don't replace the current Elements entirely. Tying it in with my Alternate Leveling System, I have the upgrade coming about level 8, but it would work just as well with the default leveling system.

Also, for anyone else who wants to do upgrades for their own Elements, feel free to post those here as well.

I say "also" a lot, don't I?

Greywander
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Well, you get the elements at first level, then get the upgrade at the next. Other upgrades like the Talent Specialization, and the in game traits & utility talents allow for continuous growth spaced out over the levels.

Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum