Questions from a nervous PH

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Questions from a nervous PH

Post  Hayatecooper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:05 am

Dear Princess Forum

So I'm planning on running a PT games starting sometime in the next 3 weeks, hopefully! And I've been looking at some stuff to do it better but I have some questions about decisions I've made pregame.

1. Weather Crafting.
I want Weather Crafting to be, well, the Pegasus literally creating weather not just "I focus my energies so POOF! I have a cloud now." Mainly this come up cause one of my players is taking Weather crafting and is talking about being able to create snowstorms(He has a +5 freaky knowledge to stealthing in snow... Snow-ninja, long story).

Basically my thoughts on that, is if he wanted to create a snowstorm say in a sealed room(I doubt this will happen but bear with me.) He would first have to lower the temperature, bound the clouds together get the water from... somewhere and whalla! Snowstorm in 1- seconds flat. However I was planning on having the other players(He has Frostborn) roll Endurance for staying inside his snow storm too long, snow is cold and dangerous but I'm not sure if that's fair.

2. Assassination
The campaign is going to be very war and espionage based between Luna, Celestia and a bunch of other factions. And I haven't been subtle and the people who've agreed know that potential assassination/Death Traps is going to be a things. Just wondering if you have any suggestions for handling such things that it feels fair, I'm thinking for the Death Traps to ave a 4-6 strike rule where you have to fail a bunch of times and be on stupidly low health for it to kill you... or have an enemy push you into one if I'm bored.

3. Nerves
Effectively tips on "How to calm down and stop checking the document every day to make sure you've worked out what exactly that one NPC who will only appear once and have no actual relevance to the story's second cousin is."

I'll probably think up more questions most likely, but advice/suggestion on the above or just any general advice would be great.

Thanks! You're more nervous then needed Potential PH
Hayatecooper.

Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Questions from a nervous PH

Post  Ramsus on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:24 am

Well, I don't see any problems with your idea on weather-crafting (though puff a cloud appears is just a simplified version of it really).

Frostborn shouldn't ever need to roll Endurance to sit around in the cold. That's what the feature does. It's everyone else who needs to do so.

I would say, not to really let the players know how much leeway they have before getting killed but, you've got the basic idea. Basically, make them think they're in more danger than they really are most of the time so that you don't have to worry about them acting stupidly and getting killed when you do pull out that actually dangerous trap.

As for nerves.... well, instead of thinking up what X NPC will do in X specific scene you have planned... try to avoid being that specific. Brainstorm a bunch of random ideas and try to figure out a general (probably simple) concept of the NPC to have be showing up. Then just improvise dialog and events as things dictate. That way when your PCs start doing things you didn't expect, you won't be sitting there without a clue of how to handle it. Additionally instead of expecting the PCs to follow exactly what you intend them to do, just try to set things up so that they're likely to do one out of a few things. You can probably re-tool a lot of stuff you had for directions and choices they didn't make to fit the ones they did or to save for later or to be dropped if you can't find a way to fit it in anywhere smoothly. And hey, you never know, somewhere down the line you still might. Don't plan too much detail for far ahead except for the motivations and maybe a few key things about the major players. Otherwise just have general ideas of where you want things to go. Leave the specifics for things you're closer to getting to. Afterall, it'd be a shame to have planned out the final boss scene in great detail a year ago only by the time you get there realize it doesn't really work that well with what you've ended up with and that you feel you could do better.

Additionally, encourage the players to give you ideas for things that will matter to them by randomly poking them for random information about their characters, either in or out of character. Stuff like what their character liked to do as a kid or mistakes they've made that they regret or things they fear and especially what they want out of life. Basically, if a PC starts giving you information about their character out of the blue, think about if you can do something with that information. This leaves you some room for something to do when you're having writer's block on what to do with the next plot point or just need time to work on a dungeon or such and will encourage the PC to be more engaged in the world. They might even start suggesting random setting details you hadn't thought up that you can use.
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:31 am

Well, Weather-Crafting normally has a preparation time of 5 minutes. I doubt he could make something just appear unless he took 10 Seconds Flat as well. Still, it's perfectly fine to ask for Endurance rolls if they stay in the storm for too long. Don't make it "Okay, snowstorm up, roll endurance," but if any of the other players stays in a snowstorm for a good while, they'll need to see if they endure it. It'll make players consider this when they think about their strategies. Besides, the more you can get out of Endurance the better...

As for death traps, generally you'll want them to do damage for as long as the player is in them. Take the Acid Pit from the Penny Arcade D&D Podcast for example. Wil got several turns, based on how much HP he had, to get out the trap. You give your players enough chances to escape them, while still making them dangerous. Remember that you effectively have 60HP, but you are only concious for 30HP. If you avoid making things insta-kill without reason, then all is good. Also, make sure you spice up these traps and assassinations. Between death pits and people trying to shank you, have the occasional arrow wall and poisoned drink to stir things up...

As for nerves, I'm going to totally wreak them by saying that you have no way to predict how things will go. Your players will pull some tricky stuff, things you wouldn't even think about thinking of. If you are worried about a single NPC who will appear once, then if a player does something unexpected, how will you react? Just have a general idea of how the story will go, and act on what your players do. I was just like you in wanting to know exactly how things were going to go down, but it's much better if you just go with the flow...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 am

*nods*

Thanks you two! That actually makes me feel a lot better about it to be honest.... or at least for another hour or two Razz

Ok, Weather crafting can work like that(And Ramsus I did mean everyone else, I just worded it badly... so my bad there). Just wasn't sure if there was a huge "You have to make WC work like this or else your doing it wrong" club somewhere, no I wouldn't put it past the internet.

Death traps/Assassinations. Yeah, I was going to try to avoid instant kills, unless my players did something so spectacularly: stupid or just Campaign wrecking for every one else there Death would be celebrated. Or you know, they decided to take on a room full of Death robots with 1 HP and a spork while there allies flee(or maybe not depending on how badarse they were.) I've come up with some cool traps(Which I won't post here for obvious reasons and fake outs) So hopefully it should be fun.

As to not planning? But... I like planning. I will try and relax though, most of the stuff I'm doing now if just adding meaningless detail anyway. I have the major events plotted.

Thanks again both of you.
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 am

As a thought for the 'kills' that aren't really kills - why not try taking a leaf out of Mouse Guard? It might give you a bit more leeway on things that might possibly be lethal.

In Mouse Guard, injuries take the form of a number of conditions that reduce your abilities in various ways until recovered. They usually get imposed as an alternative to outright failure - so to give an example in Dragonshy when the ponies screwed up on getting past the avalanche zone, rather than the avalanche stopping the party in its tracks entirely, you could say that they manage to detour around it but in the course of doing so they take longer than they expect so afterwards they're hungry and thirsty, which imposes a -5 penalty to max hp since in any fight they're not at 100%.

In order of severity (adapted to Pony Tales)
Hungry/Thirsty - Your character is hungry and/or thirsty. Max HP is reduced by 5 while this condition is in effect. - Removed when your character has a chance to sit down and have a proper meal.
Angry - Your character is angry and frustrated. Increase your critical failure range by 2. (ie. A normal character would automatically fail on a 1-3 on skill checks, a character with derp would automatically fail with a 1-5) - Removed when your character has a chance to cool off with a DC 15 save, a DC 15 persuade from an ally, or immediately with any ability that removes mind affecting effects.
Tired - Your character is tired out. You suffer vulnerability 2 and increase any other source of vulnerability by 2. Note that multiple sources of vulnerability do not stack. - Removed when your character has a chance to rest with a DC 20 endurance check, or a DC 20 heal check from an ally.
Injured - Your character has been non-trivially injured. All skill checks suffer a -3 penalty (except endurance checks to recover) and Max HP is reduced by 5 while this condition is in effect. - Removed with a DC 25 endurance or heal check. An ally may additionally attempt a DC 25 heal check to remove this condition.
Sick - Your character has fallen sick. All skills suffer a -3 penalty (except endurance checks to recover) and Max HP is reduced by 5 while this condition is in effect. - Removed when you have the chance to get proper rest with a DC 25 endurance or heal check. An ally may additionally attempt a DC 25 heal check to remove this condition.

When you're hungry, you get angry more easily. When you're angry, you're more liable to tire yourself out because you keep making mistakes. When you're tired out, you're more likely to slip up and hurt yourself. When you're hurt, you're more likely to get sick because diseases can get into open wounds.

You can come up with more as well. The intent with the Mouse Guard ones are that in general you start with the smaller, easier to heal ones, then work your way up unless the specific threat would logically escalate matters immediately or it wouldn't make sense to inflict a lesser one.
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:21 am

That, is actually really cleaver and could be quite easy to adapt over.
It would mean potential for more work, but I set myself up with some stupid tasks so that wouldn't be the dumbest thing I've done..

Thanks for the information Pingcode!
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:11 pm

To keep NPCs interesting, particularly when intrigue is involved, try given most NPCs an interesting secret. For example, take your standard Lawful Good paladin of Celestia... Then make him a changeling in disguise that killed the original paladin, but over the years has learned what a noble stallion the paladin was. Deep remorse has set in and, as he cannot give the paladin back his life, he has dedicated his to attempting to live out the Paladin's life for him as perfectly as possible. Thus he still functions as a Lawful Good paladin, but there's something a lot more interesting underneath.

For an espionage game, I heartily recommend checking out this short piece by Chris Perkins. It might help a lot.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dmxp/20130207

As for the overthinking everything, learning what you don't need to worry about comes with experience. Try looking up some published adventures if you haven't already - if you have more details than they provide (and published adventures need to provide a lot more than normal - due to them being intended to be run by other people without using much improvisation) then you should feel very satisfied with yourself. Also, here's a helpful tip. There's one person's fun at the table you can guaruntee - and that's you. Focus on things that you really find fun and use all your coolest ideas as soon as you can, don't save them for later. You'll always come up with new cool ideas - putting your best material out there, the material you find the most exciting and fun, is going to keep the campaign's momentum going.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:Dear Princess Forum

So I'm planning on running a PT games starting sometime in the next 3 weeks, hopefully! And I've been looking at some stuff to do it better but I have some questions about decisions I've made pregame.

1. Weather Crafting.
I want Weather Crafting to be, well, the Pegasus literally creating weather not just "I focus my energies so POOF! I have a cloud now." Mainly this come up cause one of my players is taking Weather crafting and is talking about being able to create snowstorms(He has a +5 freaky knowledge to stealthing in snow... Snow-ninja, long story).

That just sounds like a flavoring issue that needs to be worked out between you and the player(s).

2. Assassination
The campaign is going to be very war and espionage based between Luna, Celestia and a bunch of other factions. And I haven't been subtle and the people who've agreed know that potential assassination/Death Traps is going to be a things. Just wondering if you have any suggestions for handling such things that it feels fair, I'm thinking for the Death Traps to ave a 4-6 strike rule where you have to fail a bunch of times and be on stupidly low health for it to kill you... or have an enemy push you into one if I'm bored.

Same as Ping, conditional penalties are good alternatives to players just taking damage, and can represent any number of maladies. Tehy don't have to be broad spectrum, either. If a player breaks a leg, the pain might be a distracting factor for nonphysical checks (-1), but actually walking, running, jumping, etc. are going to be severely affected (-5). You should also experiment with HP transitioning into and out of combat.

3. Nerves
Effectively tips on "How to calm down and stop checking the document every day to make sure you've worked out what exactly that one NPC who will only appear once and have no actual relevance to the story's second cousin is."

Super detail oriented planning for the whole story only serves to make you more likely to railroad. Try and allow your NPCs to be flexible. Keep the physical character the same, but if stuff comes up out of order, then you can swap their motivations or actions (or entire character sheets), with another NPC you had in mind, to keep the basic flow of the story the same. So for instance, lets say something happens and suddenly your players are investigating the Ruins aka the Big Bad's Lair, scene of the final boss fight. Obviously that makes very little sense, so swap out the big bad for some other NPC they haven't met yet (or have, and don't like). That way, they aren't either getting themselves killed or prematurely ending the game, and all you have to do is swap out locales fro how your story proceeds.

That said, lots of predetermined background details for your NPCs or setting are a decent tool to have, because then you know all of the 3 million questions you will conceivably get asked during NPC interrogations, and you don't have to improvise and potentially mess yourself up.
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:06 pm

I can't really help except to say don't actually stop planning things - just plan in a different way then you normally would.

Keep in mind some specific characters you want to introduce, cool moments you want to happen, plot points you want revealed. Then, instead of planning "how can I get players to make these things happen" instead play a bit of chess behind the scenes - the whole point of being PH is that you can write everything in this world except the actions of the PCs. Take advantage of this and rewrite the plot without their realizing it in your head - basically just like writing any story. There's a broad outline, and instead of the characters or settings being changed, the characters themselves may change or change the setting. It's pretty tough to do, but very rewarding.

As a paradoxical side note to this, plan a lot - not the millions of little choices and actions a character may take that can alter a story, but the main choices the party will be presented with. For example, let's say your party stumbles upon a cult. Exactly what they do is unpredictable, but the broad strokes of what they do entirely are. They have four basic options: Attack the cult in some way or another, ally themselves with the cult in some way or another, let other ponies know of the cult's existence, or ignore the cult. Plan not necessarily huge scripted events, but a basic storyline for your, well, story to head off in alongside each of these choices. That way you won't ever have to say "no you can't do that" with the reasoning in your head being "Because I have no idea what direction to take my campaign in if you do".

AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Correct. If you create lots of interesting characters and figure out their motivations and a lot of lore for the world, you'll have a guideline on how to improvise. If you have three interesting guardsmen, you can place them in the world the moment your players need to run into guardsmen. When they go to see the captain of the guard in whatever town they happen to be in, just have that captain of the guard be your interesting character. Prepare in a way that makes improvisation easy.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:31 pm

So, effectively what I should be doing is not plan it Mission by Mission but trying to plan far more broadly that leaves a lot of room for players to do there own thing. So something like.

Character X will be killed off screen or Big Bad will announce doomsday plot involving Changelings and Chickens

Stuff the gives the players room to maneuver instead of.

"You go to x position, and do this, then get patted on the head like a good doggie, then leave."

Also thank you Stairc for the article, I read it over and I'm brimming with ideas for character underlying motives now. I mean I had a few before, but now oh I can have so much fun with this. Considering all the different factions that are going to be running around.

Another question I thought up is:
Stating NPCS, not combat wise just RP wise, with player abilities. Some of my NPCS I've set up with Facials or FKs or Utilities like Stealth mode. I'm not sure if that's alright, I know your not meant to stat NPCS as PCs for combat but just for RP is fine right? Asked a few others and got a very "Eh it can work but it's unfair" or "Yeah, go for it." I did figure out giving my NPCs Destinies was a little too much, lvl 4 assassin who could teleport and had like 60 or something stealth... great fun for me not so much for the other guy.
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:So, effectively what I should be doing is not plan it Mission by Mission but trying to plan far more broadly that leaves a lot of room for players to do there own thing. So something like.

Character X will be killed off screen or Big Bad will announce doomsday plot involving Changelings and Chickens

Stuff the gives the players room to maneuver instead of.

"You go to x position, and do this, then get patted on the head like a good doggie, then leave."

Good approach. You can design it mission by mission (I certainly do) but it's a good idea for a new DM to practice creating flexible story events and characters than can be used in a great deal of situations - give yourself a lot of great material to improvise with.

Hayatecooper wrote:Also thank you Stairc for the article, I read it over and I'm brimming with ideas for character underlying motives now. I mean I had a few before, but now oh I can have so much fun with this. Considering all the different factions that are going to be running around.

Great to hear. Nothing like an NPC with a good secret to get the players interested in the next NPC that comes around. Who knows what he might be hiding.

Hayatecooper wrote:Another question I thought up is:
Stating NPCS, not combat wise just RP wise, with player abilities. Some of my NPCS I've set up with Facials or FKs or Utilities like Stealth mode. I'm not sure if that's alright, I know your not meant to stat NPCS as PCs for combat but just for RP is fine right? Asked a few others and got a very "Eh it can work but it's unfair" or "Yeah, go for it." I did figure out giving my NPCs Destinies was a little too much, lvl 4 assassin who could teleport and had like 60 or something stealth... great fun for me not so much for the other guy.

Don't give them magic points. Other than that, using player abilities as guidelines for NPCs is fine. Just remember, NPCs are built as their own things - so you don't have to follow player rules. Think more in terms of what you want the NPC to be able to do, and feel free to turn that into mechanics however you like - including basing the mechanics off player rules.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:40 pm

I have to admit, one of my characters have magic points, not an element just the boost, But they do a certain branch of magic that is insanely hard and needs the extra boost and a stupid amount of other stuff. Otherwise I've yeah, been trying to them magic pointless as much as I can.
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:42 pm

(The only problematic thing with asking DMs for advice is that everyone has a different DMing style, as I think you might be noticing. Wink)
AProcrastinatingWriter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Actually, I'm surprised by how similar a lot of the advice is. I expected lots of just "No do x and not y! NO Y is better! *slapfight*

I'm also really glad all the advice has been helpful too, so thank you all for that!
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:01 pm

Is this going to be PBP or a real-time game? With strangers or longtime friends? Depending on those answers I'd give more specific advice regarding planning out your campaign.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:02 pm

As one of your future players... I just hope you do something fun and enjoyable with that "Unknown Family" thing. XD

Don't care what happens with them. Just hope they play some part in the campaign's story. :3

Best of luck dude Hayatecooper at the future GMing powers.
Xel Unknown

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:21 pm

SilentBelle wrote:Is this going to be PBP or a real-time game? With strangers or longtime friends? Depending on those answers I'd give more specific advice regarding planning out your campaign.

It will be a Skype game, so yay for making quick decisions real time!
I have four players locked in at the moment, Yawnmon, Demonu, Xel Unknown and Philadelphus all I've played with in the Pony Team Bravo campaign and had a lot of fun with. I am currently looking for two more people. Preferably guys and gals who haven't had a chance to play a Skype campaign and want to give it a go. (And are willing to let a newb run them around places)

I have a bunch of set-up done, (including sadly enough a 15 page History document. 15 pages mainly though only like 3000ish words) Most of the NPCs are done and I have a lot of the plot written out... I just need to generalize it more apparently.

Hopefully that helps.

As to the Unknown Family? They'll probably get a mention, saying more then that would be considered potential spoilers.
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Hayatecooper wrote:
SilentBelle wrote:Is this going to be PBP or a real-time game? With strangers or longtime friends? Depending on those answers I'd give more specific advice regarding planning out your campaign.

It will be a Skype game, so yay for making quick decisions real time!
I have four players locked in at the moment, Yawnmon, Demonu, Xel Unknown and Philadelphus all I've played with in the Pony Team Bravo campaign and had a lot of fun with. I am currently looking for two more people. Preferably guys and gals who haven't had a chance to play a Skype campaign and want to give it a go. (And are willing to let a newb run them around places)

I have a bunch of set-up done, (including sadly enough a 15 page History document. 15 pages mainly though only like 3000ish words) Most of the NPCs are done and I have a lot of the plot written out... I just need to generalize it more apparently.

Hopefully that helps.

As to the Unknown Family? They'll probably get a mention, saying more then that would be considered potential spoilers.

I see, so you know them relatively well then, but they aren't longtime friends or anything like that, so you probably won't be able to tailor the events specifically to their characters yet unless you feel sure enough that you know how they face the challenges before them.

Now I think a first-time DM is never going to really be 100% ready, but you're players know that it's your first time, so they'll be a good source of support through it. So I'd suggest trying to keep to a reactive sort of DMing over the sessions. I recommend playing with a 'Yes, but...' sort of approach. It basically lets the players have a hand in shaping the world, and thus causing them to feel more immersed in it.

(For example: a player might decide that they used to be part of some prominent order, let's say... the Lunar Guard, or something, but they had a falling out and has been trying to avoid his old order ever since. Now some people might panic and look at their notes and think, "But there is no Lunar Guard, his character is supposed to be a smuggler." However I would recommend trying to take it in stride and think about the benefits of such a situation. This provided example just cries out for the DM to allow it so it can be used in a later session. So just go and make a note (mental or otherwise) to have one of your future NPCs an affiliate, or somehow related to the Lunar Guard. That will make the player more invested in the story and allows for a great role playing experience.)

Try letting them choose how they fit into the world and let them be the characters that they want to be, and in the process you can figure out what their characters goals are and find a way to tie those goals into the campaign. There are a couple downsides to this style of DMing though...

1) If you aren't careful the players can exploit your kindness. (Though I like to think it's never intentional, and it's all born through a pure sense of excitement and a wish to help make the world deeper and their characters having a more 'protagonistic' feel to it.) Try to make sure that any sort of validated ideas that you allow in this case aren't exploitable. It makes sense to reward characters for creativity, but you have to keep an eye on just how good the stuff you are allowing is.

2) This approach works very well with the players who actively contribute to it. However, some players might feel like the others are taking the spotlight and don't want to HAVE to contribute and would rather get pulled into an intriguing situation. Honestly some people are just far more creative than others and if you spend too much time on those players their characters are going to be the only ones that feel like they have depth. So you'll need to keep a watch for your other quieter players and find a good way to engage them and their characters to make them feel like they are part of the story too.

Anyway, that's my approach to DMing, it can be tough, especially if you don't know the players in question, but the best thing to do is go out there and learn by experience. I usually ask my players how they felt the session went afterward, but then again they are firm friends that I've been DMing for over the last 10 years or so.

And just one last note: If your players manage to surprise you and find a way around the encounters you have planned, then that's a good thing, just keep those monster stat-blocks and skill challenges for a future time. You can always change monster names and reflavour them to fit a different situation.
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

View user profile http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:41 pm

So, should say yes and encourage RP while not allowing them to walk all over me. Can do, I hope. It shouldn't be too bad, and the guys I have set down I actually do like and I know aren't going to attempt to screw me over(Well... Demonu might but that's fine. He had to DM for me so fair is fair Razz)
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:53 am

Sounds like it'll be an interesting campaign... I kinda want to join but I worry about overextending myself, and I'm not sure I could come up with a chara... ooh, I take that back, I could use that idea... but wait a minute, she was my idea for something set in Fallout: Equestria but I could modify... oh great. It's coalescing into an idea. AAAAAHHHHHHHH- *is buried in a swarm of what my circle of friends call "plot bunnies" ... or perhaps, idea parasprites.*

Otherwise, I have no advice to offer, as I have thus far proven to be a total failure at DMing. Let me know if you wouldn't mind a newbie joining, and as soon as I have gotten out of this new character's choke hold, I will get back to you.
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:55 am

I recommend watching some Celebrity D&D and reading Chris Perkins' "The Dungeon Master Experience" (The column the article I included is from).

It's a great way to get your head in the DM way of things.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:57 am

See... now I kinda want to make a thread for this even if it's like three weeks away....

Chuck in your idea! But I do suggest not trying to play lots of games at once, and there are some other pre-reqs when it comes to character creation. But that will all be in the tread, I do feel for you when it comes to characters though. So many ideas, so little time and places they'll fit.

Celebrity DnD games are great. I've seen a bunch of them, so weird but so fun.
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:51 am

Oh gosh, I didn't realize my Freaky Knowledge: Snowstorms and Ten Seconds Flat were that worrisome. If it makes you feel better, I truly had no plans to try using it indoors just to get +5 to Stealth, since the snowstorm itself would probably draw more attention than would be avoided otherwise (although I might keep it in mind as a last resort ...hmmm...).

Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:20 am

For the stealth? hahah no.
I expect you to be using it to disorientate a large group of ponies before using your Frostborn breath the execute them in the same style as Mr. Freeze. It's what I would do!
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum