Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+33
Inferno1114
Antiquated
Lifeforce
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Doc pseudopolis
Grey Pen The Flawed
Hayatecooper
Z2
Caden2112
Pingcode
Kindulas
Quietkal
Nehiel Mori
Videocrazy
Zarhon
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Azureink
Demonu
sunbeam
LoganAura
thematthew
Curunir
Philadelphus
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
37 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 37 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Doc pseudopolis Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 pm

My apologies for asking such a strange question but:
If I dominate a creature or player with a dominate ability and then have them dominate me when it comes to their turn what would happen?

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 37 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

If the dominate on them ends before your next turn, then they get to dominate you, and you get to sit in the corner for being dumb. If not, you get to relay your action through the other guy. That's what I would rule it. Or I might say you and it get to have a Domination feedback loop, which would take you both out of the fight indefinitely.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  SparkImpulse Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Doc pseudopolis wrote:My apologies for asking such a strange question but:
If I dominate a creature or player with a dominate ability and then have them dominate me when it comes to their turn what would happen?
Are you trying to create an infinite loop and burn out both parties' minds? It might work ...

I'd probably, in my campaign, introduce a lot of transmission lag. You can tell your thrall to tell you to move, but it would take an extra round before you respond by force to your thrall's command.

I'm mostly assuming this falls into the "undefined" state of things, results are compiler dependent. Or PH/dm dependent, whatever. But I'm new here so feel free to ignore me.
SparkImpulse
SparkImpulse
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Neither of you are correct.

Dominated - The dominated creature has its turns controlled by the dominating creature. A dominated creature is also considered dazed.
The creature that dominated you is still the enemy creature even if you were the one that made it do so. Thus, it still controls your turn while dominated by you as you only control its turns.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:48 pm

That makes sense. It may not actually be what they meant to happen, but when in doubt, lawyer the verbage. Also, I didn't know about that Dazed part. That kind of diminishes the usefulness of domination, doesn't it?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 pm

So essentially a body-swap? That's what we were thinking, actually...
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:15 am

Question; How does daze interact with having extra actions on a turn, such as Motion Blur (extra minor action) and Gather Energy (extra standard action)?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 am

Dazing restricts your actions to 1 - so the extra actions are lost as well.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:25 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Dazing restricts your actions to 1 - so the extra actions are lost as well.
This is one of the major pains of the Daze status effect...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:32 am

It's sort of the main point of the daze effect.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:55 am

Well it used to say "instead of a full complement, you only get your normal standard", and when it was like that you could argue that if you used GE, then on your next turn your "normal standard" would have included the extra.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:59 am

Since we're on the topic and I'm pretty sure this going to come up soon in my game, how does Daze interact with Royal Command?
Royal Command:
My knee-jerk reaction is "nope. can't take that additional action, you're dazed." but then I'm like "well, it's applied after the daze was inflicted, it's the more recent effect. Also, that second Standard Action isn't part of the standard set of actions, and isn't an interrupt, reaction, or free..."
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:01 am

Daze works with one's actions you can use on a turn... Royal Command gives Standard Actions to peoples...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Dazed explicitly states that you can take one action per turn. Now for me, a turn is your complement of actions, and a round is one set of everybody's turn. So if somebody grants you an action with Royal Command, it's not your turn and you can take it, but if you use royal command, you don't get your extra standard action (though your party member can). But I'm not certain if that's the official terminology or not.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:51 pm

I would say you can't because doesn't daze also stop interrupts and reactions? So it also stops additional actions when its not your turn.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:33 pm

sunbeam wrote:Dazed explicitly states that you can take one action per turn. Now for me, a turn is your complement of actions, and a round is one set of everybody's turn. So if somebody grants you an action with Royal Command, it's not your turn and you can take it, but if you use royal command, you don't get your extra standard action (though your party member can). But I'm not certain if that's the official terminology or not.
 You're correct. Daze restricts you to one action on your turn and stops other types of actions on other peoples' turns - but it doesn't stop you from taking a standard action granted by an ally when it ISN'T your turn.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Glad that is answered. Now, some questions.

1. What is the damage to PiP ratio? (How much damage should a -1 pip move do on average? Or a -2? Or a -3? Etc)
2. What is the heal to PiP ratio?
3. What is the gold to PiP ratio? (How much is 500 gold worth in PiPs?)
4. What is the PiP ratio for each status effect?

... Uh... I think I basically just asked for the maths behind your combat system basically... that's not simple... sorry.

And then two missed ones.

sunbeam wrote:Can an event count as two differently worded triggers? For example, if I take damage for the second time in a round can I activate
[-2] (Ye Broke Me Flask!) - Reaction Attack
Trigger - An enemy deals damage to you with an attack
Effect - Roll 1d4 and use the indicated effect
1) Deal 1d10 damage to the triggering creature
2) The triggering creature suffers 5 ongoing damage (save ends)
3) The triggering creature is weakened (save ends)
4) The triggering creature is blinded (save ends)
AND
[-3] (Against The Odds) - Immediate Reaction
Trigger - An enemy deals damage to you after another enemy has already dealt damage to you this round.
Effect - Deal 1d12 damage to each enemy that has damaged you this round. You gain 1d10 temporary hp.
Since their triggers are different? Or does the fact that a single event creates both triggers mean I can't?

Fury of the Tempest wrote:For that matter, interrupt is faster than reaction, isn't it? If someone uses a talent that damages an enemy when they attack someone else, then uses defender, the enemy doesn't take the damage, does he?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:48 pm

1) The math behind the combat system needs some revamping so it'll work better on a 'per-pip' basis (part of the combat revamp we need to do). However, a standard action is worth 3 pips and a +3 power is supposed to be almost like skipping your turn (you just get to do one tiny thing so you don't feel useless). For skype, the hypothetical 0 pip standard action single target attack is 1d12 damage. Minor Actions cost 3 pips more than a standard action equivalent would (so if you go +3 then use a -3 minor action... You end up about at a 0 power anyway so things stay balanced). Minor Actions also aren't available without some form of cost attached, don't make a 0 pip minor with no drawback (because if you do, it becomes very minmaxy to take it on pretty much every build that can get by with only 4 standard action talents). Interrupts, Reactions and Free Actions all have the same 3-pips-more cost adjustment with no free versions as Minor Actions do. This is the core of the costing system that's kept the game surprisingly balanced despite all the additions thus far. Once we do the revamp, things will be even better.

2) The same event cannot trigger two separate things. You have to chose one.

3) Interrupts happen before the event being triggered and Reactions happen after the event is done. If the person is no longer being attacked or damaged, your ability that requires them to be attacked or damaged won't work.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Hmmmm... alright. Thanks for all those answers.

I think I'm going to hold back on working on combat talents (well, new ones at least) until the combat revamp is completely. Even if that means I have to wait a long time.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:55 pm

I sadly expect it shall be a long wait. We're almost out of college and we have to spend a lot of time on designing games that are more economically feasible than a free rpg. The only way we could really sink the day-long design and development sessions into this system once more (the kind that made the whole core game in about 9 days) is if we did some sort of kickstarter.

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Some sort of kick-starter? What exactly do you have in mind with that comment?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Don't actually have anything in mind. I've just noticed that there's independent RPGs popping up on Kickstarter now and then and doing pretty well. There isn't one good for skype yet to my knowledge.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 pm

I've already mentioned this to Dan privately before but, I can't really stand behind any Kickstarter or such thing that wouldn't benefit major contributors to the system. It's one thing to do work for free as a group. It's entirely different to put hours upon hours into a project only to end up with someone else getting paid for your ideas.

Basically, I just don't see such things as feasible, as "major contributor" is highly subjective.

Edit: In response to Dan's response below:

That's still using other's ideas as a platform to get people to give you money and then you still leave those contributors out in the cold whenever they come up with new ideas that they still aren't getting paid for. (In fact one could argue you would be getting paid for their ideas as likely you'll create stuff based on ideas of other people whether you intend to or not.) You're basically forcing those people to stop contributing and breeding a lot of resentment.

Last edited by Ramsus on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:18 pm

This isn't the place to talk about such things in detail - but I'll answer the hypothetical question Ramsus post brings up. Naturally, we haven't put much though into anything like this - but if we did ever consider doing a Kickstarter for the system; it'd be only to provide for *additional* work by the designers and developers (revamps, new content, a monster manual, a comprehensive DM's guide, adventures for DMs to run etc) - not a way to get paid for work that's already done. Kickstarter is meant to develop new things after all, not sell old ones.

Now that the implied question has been answered, let's let this thread get back to asking and answering simple questions. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:12 pm

While it's right that it would be better handled elsewhere, I think the primary concern is less for a KickStarter in specific and rather one for the longevity of the system as a whole. There's a number of things that need to be looked at to complete things.

As far as an actual question: Is Highborn added onto Pick of the Litter or does it replace it? I'm assuming it adds onto it for a total of 3 but just making sure.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next