Flaws In Character - The New And Improved Flaws Supplement

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Flaws In Character - The New And Improved Flaws Supplement

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:48 am

Quietkal wrote:What about something along these lines as a possible rebuild for Amnesiac?
Amnesiac- You may use a daily talent after all its uses are spent. Do this only once per talent per day. If you do so, you are unable to use that talent on the following day.
Although that seems to get into Narcoleptic territory, encouraging lots of extended rests to overcome the penalty.

I see what you did there.

But, that is a step in the right direction, I think. How about this:

Amnesiac - 1/Day
You may restore all uses of one of your X/Day talents. If you do so, choose one of your utility talents (other than this one and the restored talent) at random. You lose the use of that talent for the rest of the day.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 pm

I did something there? Huh. I was just being literal. Literal narcolepsy.

I dunno. A problem I see is that we're basically making another One Trick Pony, but with more versatility and the optional cost of another talent instead of a constant -1
(Yes, I realize that I'm the one that brought up the idea)

What about another path? Something like...
Amnesiac- You may expend uses of X/day talents to gain +1 to rolls for each use you expend.
Penalty?
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:32 am

Narcolepsy: See, once upon a time there was a Flaw I made called Narcoleptic. I don't remember off the top of my head what it did (it's in the old thread) but, I do remember that it encouraged frequent extended rests, and not as a result of it's flavor.

Sooo, evidently, a Flaw that encourages extended resting is a Narcoleptic Flaw now. Heh heh.

Amnesiac: Hmmm... that's a neat idea, but it doesn't quite fit the intended flavor. How about this:

Amnesiac - 1/Day Reaction
Trigger: You roll a skill check.
Result: You may choose to add a +10 bonus to that skill check. If you do, choose one of your utility talents at random (other than this one.) You can not use that talent for the rest of the day.

Last edited by Grey Pen The Flawed on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:
Result: You may choose to add a +10 bonus to that skill check. If you do, choose one of your utility talents at random (other than this one.) You can not use that talent for the rest of the day.
I like the utility talent (I can like things?), but I think a better name would improve it. While amnesia covers most memory loss stuff (for example, wikipedia-ing "short term memory loss" takes you to the amnesia page), and would explain why someone would suddenly get a stray memory (which is how I would flavour the +10 bonus if I had the talent), I don't really see an amnesiac forgetting something in the middle of the day. I would personally call it something like Scatterbrain, but if people prefer the name Amnesiac, then I have no qualm with that...

Quick question though; what happens if the target you forget is something like Animal Empathy, and you have stuff like Animal Speak and Animal Magnetism? Do you lose access to those talents as well, since you no longer meet the prerequisites ?

Anyway, while I download a game about Space Ninjas, here's a more in-depth look into the flaws...

Let's start with Derp, since we all know that *Insert joke about how it will never be an official utility talent here* or else I'll eat my hat. But really, my only problem with Derp is that it encourages not rolling, but that's only a small one. I mean, the chance of rolling the natural fail numbers is only 3/20, which most people consider too small to really care about. The best way to use Derp is to get a bunch of talents that don't require a roll to use...

The idea behind Muffins is that it's suppose to be a companion to Derp. You lose the magic point, but you gain protection against natural ones. At least the first five. It's all well and good, I guess...

Previously, I have mentioned my dislike for Phobia and Obsession (which I shall refer to as Phobsession), saying that they are "both shadowed by the might of Freaky Knowledge". I have since realised that Freaky Knowledge's width doesn't stretch that far, and generally, with clever wording and play, gives its bonus to a single skill, maybe two if you are really good (I'm not counting History or Streetwise, since it will give its bonus to that most of the time as well). So Phobsession has more broad and gives a bigger bonus than FK, but comes with the flaw, and I'm really happy to see that it's been changed to you or an ally. It means that if a player takes it, they don't feel force to take Persuasion as well, which I approve. However, my main worry is still broad terminology, for example, a Phobia of Dying...

Also, if no one takes Obsession in "JUSTICE!" and make a paladin character, I'll be disappointed...

I stick to what I have previously said about Herp Derp. Although you now have a bit more options of what talent is actually boosted, but I still feel it takes the don't roll mindset Derp encourages and takes it to 11...

Before, I said Appleteenie and Bigger Mac was too boring. The flaws only appears when the GM throws a random skill check in your face, be it Endurance or Stealth. I still feel that way, but now the stakes are higher, as you roll twice, and the reward is different and arguably lower. It's still min-maxy, as you still have no reason to make Brawn checks if you've built Precision and vice-versa, but defiantly not as much as before...

I stick with everything I have said about Hyperactive before, but in case you forgot, I felt that it was abusable, and can be simply counted by saying "my character paces all the time"...

We've talked about Mutated here, and I think we all agree it's a smelly talent which hates puppies, even though it's not allergic to them...

I think I remember my problem with One Trick Pony, and it's that it encourages min-maxing, but not really as large as other flaws do or have done, and also avoiding rolls, but not to the extent of Derp and whatnot. So, in retrospect, I don't think it's much of a problem...

Quirky is a weird beast, as it both encourages and discourages rolling the dice. I still don't know how I feel about it, so I guess it's okay maybe?

I don't remember what I said about Hyperkinesis, so I went to check...

Paper Shadow wrote:Hyperkinesis is boring and not worth it, but to be fair, I consider all the Ponykinesis talents to be boring and not worth it...
Then I remembered that this was before I realised that Advanced Ponykinesis allows you to levitate a pony, and there's been big changes to Ponykinesis anyway so I'll ignore myself. With the changes made to Ponykinesis and Hyperkinesis, I think I like the flaw now, even though no self-respecting Arcana-Built character should take it. In fact, my only real concern is that maybe it's too good? After all, a non-Arcana unicorn has little reason not to take this. Maybe it's up to the GM to decide what counts as fine manipulation, but I feel generally, if you were forced to take one flaw, this would be a very good option to just get good things...

You already said you agreed with me on Eerie Focus and Everything Has To Be Perfect!, but asked for ideas. If I come up with anything, I'll tell you...

Lucid Dreamer is random, which I'm not a big fan of, and does nothing most of the time. Nothing more to be said, I guess...

Storm Hopper. Storm Hopper. Stooooooorm Hopper. Hmm. I feel it's just too much. Like, way too much. I'd also argue that two of three positives can be gained, with additional benefits, for only 2 racial points, and the third is just skipping heal checks. The negatives also doesn't come into play if you actually remember just to hang in a storm cloud for an hour or whatever, and it takes far too long for it to mean anything. Basically, I really don't like it as it is just all over the place...

Paper Shadow wrote:Haunted requires constant work from the GM to make an infinite amount of characters for spirits that hang around for the whole day, and make quests for the player with the talent to go on, and because of it, the one player will be in the centre of the spotlight while doing these tasks. It's not fair on the GM to make all this for one talent, and not fair on the other players to have the spotlight constantly on one of the players (as an addition, bonus analysis, I don't like Mother Nature's Mare for the same reason)...
On that note, here's a flaw I came up when thinking of how I would do Haunted. Sadly, I couldn't think of a better name...

Haunted
You are plagued by a number of dead spirits, which tease you most of the time, but consider you too fun to leave you alone. Whenever you roll a check, roll a d4. If you roll a 1, the spirits taunts your attempt, and you suffer a -4 penalty to the roll. Four times per day, you may ask the spirits for assistance and give yourself or an ally a +4 bonus to a skill check. If you give this bonus to yourself, you don't have to roll the d4 or suffer the -4 modifier if you have already rolled...

This goes against what I previously said about what I felt flaws couldn't have, but screw me, what do I know? Now where was I?

Snail's Pace is still the same old Snail's Pace I looked at long ago, just with a smaller negative modifier. Well, at least it goes well with Appleteenie now. Maybe...

Blunt Magic? More like Boring Magic! Because it's just simple modifiers, get it? High-Five! No? Okay...

Crashmaster and Delicate Flyer has many problems. Min-maxing, perma-bonuses via hovering, if you are forced to do a check you don't want to do all you have to do is land. You already know its a problem, but I don't know how to fix it yet, so...

Volatile Temperament is just, well, bland. There's a higher chance of you winning the lottery than Volatile Temperament actually being useful...

Copycat? More like Suckycat! High-Five! Wait...

Specifikinesis is kinda weird so I'mma just leave it alone...

My problem with Extrovert can be summed up with a simple question; why would you continue making Persuasion checks when you hit a modifier of -1?

Now, initially, I didn't have a problem with Distrustful or Naive, but then I realised something, and if it is done right, it can apply to Extrovert, Blunt Magic (to a less extent), and maybe a few other stuff. And it's funny, because my first post where I gave my opinions on flaws one by one, it started with this, and now it shall end with it (for now). These are all shadowed by the might of FREAKY MOTHER BUCKING KNOWLEDGE! Seriously, there is no reason to take either Distrustful or Naive with Freaky Knowledge around. To quote myself...

Paper Shadow wrote:Freaky Knowledge gives a +5 to any roll regarding something you could take as your Phobia or Obsession something related to spotting the truth or spotting lies, gives no downsides, and you get the bonuses for a second thing as well.

And done. Sadly, I have no desire to play Space Ninjas now. Oh well...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Whooee... Another day, another long post by Paper Shadow to sort through.

I'm gonna be a while working on this, so nobody post for a minute DONE!

Paper Shadow wrote:
Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:
I like the utility talent (I can like things?), but I think a better name would improve it. While amnesia covers most memory loss stuff (for example, wikipedia-ing "short term memory loss" takes you to the amnesia page), and would explain why someone would suddenly get a stray memory (which is how I would flavour the +10 bonus if I had the talent), I don't really see an amnesiac forgetting something in the middle of the day. I would personally call it something like Scatterbrain, but if people prefer the name Amnesiac, then I have no qualm with that...

Quick question though; what happens if the target you forget is something like Animal Empathy, and you have stuff like Animal Speak and Animal Magnetism? Do you lose access to those talents as well, since you no longer meet the prerequisites ?

((Yes, yes you do. Because I'm EVIL. >Very Happy I may alter this later, once I think of a decent way of wording it.))

((I kinda like Scatterbrain though. So, seeing as how it has meet your approval, I will update the doc accordingly. Later.))

Anyway, while I download a game about Space Ninjas, here's a more in-depth look into the flaws...

Let's start with Derp, since we all know that *Insert joke about how it will never be an official utility talent here* or else I'll eat my hat. But really, my only problem with Derp is that it encourages not rolling, but that's only a small one. I mean, the chance of rolling the natural fail numbers is only 3/20, which most people consider too small to really care about. The best way to use Derp is to get a bunch of talents that don't require a roll to use...

((I personally disagree with you on the "don't roll mentality". I've played and watched a fair number of Derp characters; and while it is amusing/irritating, the rolls themselves are about the same frequency. But maybe that's just my lack of experience talking.))

The idea behind Muffins is that it's suppose to be a companion to Derp. You lose the magic point, but you gain protection against natural ones. At least the first five. It's all well and good, I guess...

((I actually am rather disturbed by the One Trick Muffin Pony combo you pointed out. I'm working on that.))

Previously, I have mentioned my dislike for Phobia and Obsession (which I shall refer to as Phobsession), saying that they are "both shadowed by the might of Freaky Knowledge". I have since realised that Freaky Knowledge's width doesn't stretch that far, and generally, with clever wording and play, gives its bonus to a single skill, maybe two if you are really good (I'm not counting History or Streetwise, since it will give its bonus to that most of the time as well). So Phobsession has more broad and gives a bigger bonus than FK, but comes with the flaw, and I'm really happy to see that it's been changed to you or an ally. It means that if a player takes it, they don't feel force to take Persuasion as well, which I approve. However, my main worry is still broad terminology, for example, a Phobia of Dying...

Also, if no one takes Obsession in "JUSTICE!" and make a paladin character, I'll be disappointed...

((Glad to see these meet your approval.))

((The Persuasion check was meant to be that way in the first place; I just didn't word it very well. Lesson learned.))

I stick to what I have previously said about Herp Derp. Although you now have a bit more options of what talent is actually boosted, but I still feel it takes the don't roll mindset Derp encourages and takes it to 11...

Before, I said Appleteenie and Bigger Mac was too boring. The flaws only appears when the GM throws a random skill check in your face, be it Endurance or Stealth. I still feel that way, but now the stakes are higher, as you roll twice, and the reward is different and arguably lower. It's still min-maxy, as you still have no reason to make Brawn checks if you've built Precision and vice-versa, but defiantly not as much as before...

((I can't argue too much about the penalty, except I had an Appleteenie player who had a Stunts/Endurance of 2. I'd rather not go there again. But, the bonus is very much justified; lemme bring up the old version and you'll notice why.))

The Old Appleteenie:
Appleteenie (Take 3)
You are much, much smaller than normal people. Your smaller muscles and structure cause you to suffer a -3 penalty to Stunts and Endurance checks. Pick two out of Stealth, Mechanics, or Acrobatics. You gain training in those two skills.

((Note the wording. "You gain training in those two skills". Not a bonus; training. Now, before the Great Update Of '13, this was just fine... but now, why not just take I've Read A Lot About It? It's more versatile, has no penalty, and leaves your Free Flaw spot (if you have one) open to something much cooler, like Specifikinesis, Quirky, or Scatterbrain. The new bonus is unavailable through other utility talents (save Mutated/Best Of The Breed) and is substantially more versatile in both build and flavor options.))

I stick with everything I have said about Hyperactive before, but in case you forgot, I felt that it was abusable, and can be simply counted by saying "my character paces all the time"...

((QuietKal fixed this. The newest version requires you make 50 ft in a single movement; arguably, pacing back and forth doesn't qualify, as you must stop and turn around. You could go in a wide arc... but then it'd be a circle/oval, which is much closer to the intended action.))

We've talked about Mutated here, and I think we all agree it's a smelly talent which hates puppies, even though it's not allergic to them...

((Yes, it needs working with. But, I really believe we need a way to take racial traits as utility talents the same way as we have racial traits that give us utility talents.))

I think I remember my problem with One Trick Pony, and it's that it encourages min-maxing, but not really as large as other flaws do or have done, and also avoiding rolls, but not to the extent of Derp and whatnot. So, in retrospect, I don't think it's much of a problem...

((Yay! Very Happy))

Quirky is a weird beast, as it both encourages and discourages rolling the dice. I still don't know how I feel about it, so I guess it's okay maybe?

((One might say this flaw is kind of... quirky!))

((*buh dum tish*))

I don't remember what I said about Hyperkinesis, so I went to check...

Paper Shadow wrote:Hyperkinesis is boring and not worth it, but to be fair, I consider all the Ponykinesis talents to be boring and not worth it...
Then I remembered that this was before I realised that Advanced Ponykinesis allows you to levitate a pony, and there's been big changes to Ponykinesis anyway so I'll ignore myself. With the changes made to Ponykinesis and Hyperkinesis, I think I like the flaw now, even though no self-respecting Arcana-Built character should take it. In fact, my only real concern is that maybe it's too good? After all, a non-Arcana unicorn has little reason not to take this. Maybe it's up to the GM to decide what counts as fine manipulation, but I feel generally, if you were forced to take one flaw, this would be a very good option to just get good things...

((Hmm. Word tweaking may be in order. I'll look into it.))

You already said you agreed with me on Eerie Focus and Everything Has To Be Perfect!, but asked for ideas. If I come up with anything, I'll tell you...

((I would appreciate that. I also intend to talk to Lyntermas, who has taken Eerie Focus and can therefore (hopefully) help me fix the issues, having some firsthand experience with it.))

Lucid Dreamer is random, which I'm not a big fan of, and does nothing most of the time. Nothing more to be said, I guess...

((I've been contemplating adding some morale bonus/penalty in between; that way, it'll always do something, and how you roll would determine what.))

((Not much to be done about the randomness though; in my opinion the randomness is kind of the whole point of this Flaw.))

Storm Hopper. Storm Hopper. Stooooooorm Hopper. Hmm. I feel it's just too much. Like, way too much. I'd also argue that two of three positives can be gained, with additional benefits, for only 2 racial points, and the third is just skipping heal checks. The negatives also doesn't come into play if you actually remember just to hang in a storm cloud for an hour or whatever, and it takes far too long for it to mean anything. Basically, I really don't like it as it is just all over the place...

((I have been seriously contemplating deleting this one. But, I dunno. I still think it could be saved... but, it may not be the same afterwords.))

Paper Shadow wrote:Haunted requires constant work from the GM to make an infinite amount of characters for spirits that hang around for the whole day, and make quests for the player with the talent to go on, and because of it, the one player will be in the centre of the spotlight while doing these tasks. It's not fair on the GM to make all this for one talent, and not fair on the other players to have the spotlight constantly on one of the players (as an addition, bonus analysis, I don't like Mother Nature's Mare for the same reason)...

((Actually, the current version has been doing pretty well; it's a surprisingly handy GM'ing tool for nudging the players in the right direction. At least that's how Tyger uses it; if it irritates him at all to make the extra NPCs he sure doesn't let on to it.))

On that note, here's a flaw I came up when thinking of how I would do Haunted. Sadly, I couldn't think of a better name...

Haunted
You are plagued by a number of dead spirits, which tease you most of the time, but consider you too fun to leave you alone. Whenever you roll a check, roll a d4. If you roll a 1, the spirits taunts your attempt, and you suffer a -4 penalty to the roll. Four times per day, you may ask the spirits for assistance and give yourself or an ally a +4 bonus to a skill check. If you give this bonus to yourself, you don't have to roll the d4 or suffer the -4 modifier if you have already rolled...

((But no reason we can't have this one as well! Give me some time to think of a different flavor and I'll add it.))

This goes against what I previously said about what I felt flaws couldn't have, but screw me, what do I know? Now where was I?

Snail's Pace is still the same old Snail's Pace I looked at long ago, just with a smaller negative modifier. Well, at least it goes well with Appleteenie now. Maybe...

Blunt Magic? More like Boring Magic! Because it's just simple modifiers, get it? High-Five! No? Okay...

((Not gonna talk about these. I'll worry about those later; they're neither especially broken, nor (as far as I know) especially used; they are low priority.))

Crashmaster and Delicate Flyer has many problems. Min-maxing, perma-bonuses via hovering, if you are forced to do a check you don't want to do all you have to do is land. You already know its a problem, but I don't know how to fix it yet, so...

((Can't speak too much for min-maxing. But, the hover-bonus and landing-check are easily remedied. Behold!))

The New Crashmaster:
Crashmaster
Prerequisite: It's Almost Like Flying/Flight School/Half Eagle
You gain a +7 to Brawn checks made to fly, but suffer a -7 to Precision checks made to fly; in addition, failed Precision checks while flying cause 1d8 damage.

((Not gonna bother showing you Delicate Flyer, they're pretty similar to each other.))

Volatile Temperament is just, well, bland. There's a higher chance of you winning the lottery than Volatile Temperament actually being useful...

((Much like Storm Hopper, I've been contemplating deleting this one, and haven't on the off-chance someone takes pity on it and re-works it.))

Copycat? More like Suckycat! High-Five! Wait...

((...Huh?))

Specifikinesis is kinda weird so I'mma just leave it alone...

My problem with Extrovert can be summed up with a simple question; why would you continue making Persuasion checks when you hit a modifier of -1?

((This is on my to-do list, I assure you. I have thoughts, but not much more.))

Now, initially, I didn't have a problem with Distrustful or Naive, but then I realised something, and if it is done right, it can apply to Extrovert, Blunt Magic (to a less extent), and maybe a few other stuff. And it's funny, because my first post where I gave my opinions on flaws one by one, it started with this, and now it shall end with it (for now). These are all shadowed by the might of FREAKY MOTHER BUCKING KNOWLEDGE! Seriously, there is no reason to take either Distrustful or Naive with Freaky Knowledge around. To quote myself...

Paper Shadow wrote:Freaky Knowledge gives a +5 to any roll regarding something you could take as your Phobia or Obsession something related to spotting the truth or spotting lies, gives no downsides, and you get the bonuses for a second thing as well.

((And they can be fixed the very same way Phobasession was. Mwahahahaha!))

And done. Sadly, I have no desire to play Space Ninjas now. Oh well...

((I feel your pain... Sad ))
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((I kinda like Scatterbrain though. So, seeing as how it has meet your approval, I will update the doc accordingly. Later.))
My only real problem is that the flaw isn't ever present, but whatever, I can live with that...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((I personally disagree with you on the "don't roll mentality". I've played and watched a fair number of Derp characters; and while it is amusing/irritating, the rolls themselves are about the same frequency. But maybe that's just my lack of experience talking.))
Well, logically, it's best to not roll, but I think more or less everyone here isn't that much of a meta-gamer, which is a great thing. I felt that I should point it out though, so I did...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((I actually am rather disturbed by the One Trick Muffin Pony combo you pointed out. I'm working on that.))
Well, glad Cortex II came to some use...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((Glad to see these meet your approval.))

((The Persuasion check was meant to be that way in the first place; I just didn't word it very well. Lesson learned.))
Very well...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((I can't argue too much about the penalty, except I had an Appleteenie player who had a Stunts/Endurance of 2. I'd rather not go there again. But, the bonus is very much justified; lemme bring up the old version and you'll notice why.))

The Old Appleteenie:
Appleteenie (Take 3)
You are much, much smaller than normal people. Your smaller muscles and structure cause you to suffer a -3 penalty to Stunts and Endurance checks. Pick two out of Stealth, Mechanics, or Acrobatics. You gain training in those two skills.

((Note the wording. "You gain training in those two skills". Not a bonus; training. Now, before the Great Update Of '13, this was just fine... but now, why not just take I've Read A Lot About It? It's more versatile, has no penalty, and leaves your Free Flaw spot (if you have one) open to something much cooler, like Specifikinesis, Quirky, or Scatterbrain. The new bonus is unavailable through other utility talents (save Mutated/Best Of The Breed) and is substantially more versatile in both build and flavor options.))
I agree, and maybe I did some bad thinking when I said the reward was arguably lower (although technically Training in Athletics and Endurance > 2 Points in Brawn). I mean, as you said, two batches of training back then was worth two utility talents, so that was that, but obviously changes have been made. But I still feel that the flaws are only felt when the GM throws a skill check at you, which I don't like...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((QuietKal fixed this. The newest version requires you make 50 ft in a single movement; arguably, pacing back and forth doesn't qualify, as you must stop and turn around. You could go in a wide arc... but then it'd be a circle/oval, which is much closer to the intended action.))
Maybe, I dunno. I don't really agree. You can pace in a circle if you want to, it doesn't really make a difference. I feel that Hyperactive fits in the same wagon as Storm Hopper in that it is just weird, although Hyperactive is far simpler. It tries to be unique, but it just ends up just being off-putting and hard to keep track of. You might not agree with me, but I don't really see it working to be honest...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((Yes, it needs working with. But, I really believe we need a way to take racial traits as utility talents the same way as we have racial traits that give us utility talents.))
If you feel that way. I'm sure you'll think of something...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((I would appreciate that. I also intend to talk to Lyntermas, who has taken Eerie Focus and can therefore (hopefully) help me fix the issues, having some firsthand experience with it.))
To be fair, there isn't really much firsthand experience to be had with Eerie. Strip it to its bases, and it's basically a bonus to one thing, and a penalty to another, with the flavour of insanity or creepiness. But that's just my opinion, maybe he'll say something of interest. I've had the idea of making the bonus into a 1/Day Natural 20 (with a Preparation Time of 10 Minutes, which for a Natural 20 is pretty quick), but I have no idea for what I would make the penalty to incorporate the crazy element...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((I've been contemplating adding some morale bonus/penalty in between; that way, it'll always do something, and how you roll would determine what.))

((Not much to be done about the randomness though; in my opinion the randomness is kind of the whole point of this Flaw.))
I guess. I'm just not a fan of something you can not plan, mainly when it can bite you in the back. It's just a personal thing...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((I have been seriously contemplating deleting this one. But, I dunno. I still think it could be saved... but, it may not be the same afterwords.))
Personally, I think that it'll require so much change you might as well make a new flaw. Still, I trust your judgement, and if want to take a shot, go for it...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((Actually, the current version has been doing pretty well; it's a surprisingly handy GM'ing tool for nudging the players in the right direction. At least that's how Tyger uses it; if it irritates him at all to make the extra NPCs he sure doesn't let on to it.))
I think it is easier to run with forum games, because you have time to plan all the time, and you can change your plans on the fly easily. On a board game, where I believe you'll need a good idea of what to do, you'll have to plan for each possible result, and make characters and stories for each. Still, maybe I'm just overthinking it...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((Can't speak too much for min-maxing. But, the hover-bonus and landing-check are easily remedied. Behold!))

The New Crashmaster:
Crashmaster
Prerequisite: It's Almost Like Flying/Flight School/Half Eagle
You gain a +7 to Brawn checks made to fly, but suffer a -7 to Precision checks made to fly; in addition, failed Precision checks while flying cause 1d8 damage.

((Not gonna bother showing you Delicate Flyer, they're pretty similar to each other.))
But now you don't suffer the penalty, because that also only affects checks made to fly...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((...Huh?))
The joke is that I made Copycat, and I was insulting it, then realising I made it, and by proxy insulted myself. Nevermind, it wasn't the best joke in the world...

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:((And they can be fixed the very same way Phobasession was. Mwahahahaha!))
Do not be so sure. The main reason I feel Phobsession has been redeemed was because I overestimated the power of Freaky Knowledge. However, considering I've allowed a player to take Freaky Knowledge in "Tells", basically giving him the bonus against ponies in most perception checks, I doubt think nudging the numbers up ever so slightly will be enough...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:57 pm

I think I may have properly fixed Mutated:

The Old One:
Mutated
Due to scarring, a magical accident, or a genetic quirk, you have a very unusual appearance that makes people distrust you. You suffer a -5 penalty to Persuasion checks on people who don't know you very well. You gain an additional 3 points of racial traits from the Genetic Engineering Supplement. (You should ask your GM before you pick this flaw.)

The New One:
Mutated
Due to scarring, a magical accident, or a genetic quirk, you have a very unusual appearance that makes people distrust you. People who see your bizzare looks automatically distrust you until you convince them otherwise. What this results in - and how you gain their trust - is up to the GM's discretion. You gain an additional 3 points of racial traits from the Genetic Engineering Supplement. (You should ask your GM before you pick this flaw.)

Discuss.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:39 pm

Interesting fix. Sort of an inverted Sweet and Elite for 3 more racial points. Seems more balanced, as it has more implications than just a -5 to Persuasion.

On a similar note, as much as I love Hyperactive, it's definitely broken. It's essentially a free +5 for moving quick, which comes up fairly often in my experience, so long as you don't not do anything for an hour. Which means you're not doing anything as a player or possibly even group.
You or your DM basically have to go out of the way to activate the penalty portion of the flaw.
The only fix I've thought of so far is to add a penalty to stealth/mechanics, as you're too energetic to perform such precise movements/ hold still/ move without a sound.
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Interesting. However, the problem with flaws that have roleplay consequences like this are twofold.

1) It has a negative impact on the rest of the group, as they're associating with the disliked person, while only benefiting the user. Groups in general don't like characters that make their lives harder.

2) In order for it to be balanced, it requires the DM in question to make the consequences precisely proportional to be worth the three points (factoring in the cost of the utility talent). This is extremely hard to do, it likely will be imbalanced one way or the other.

When players are frustrated by another player's character making their roleplaying more difficult, it usually leads to a worse experience. Especially in a friendship place. And lack of balance is a significant issue. Sweet and Elite gets away with it, because there aren't any adverse consequences and it's more of a flavor thing - it's not a big deal if the results are underpowered to most people that take it because they like the flavor and when other people respect them. Using negative roleplaying consequences as a way to balance though requires precise execution to be fair.

Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Hyperactive has been SQVASHED.

Mutated is trying a different direction, and a new name, both inspired by the 2/7 Draconequus template.

The Old One:
Mutated
Due to scarring, a magical accident, or a genetic quirk, you have a very unusual appearance that makes people distrust you. People who see your bizzare looks automatically distrust you until you convince them otherwise. What this results in - and how you gain their trust - is up to the GM's discretion. You gain an additional 3 points of racial traits from the Genetic Engineering Supplement. (You should ask your GM before you pick this flaw.)

The New One:
Aberrant Heart
Some part of you is a little out of place, to a very bizarre effect. Choose 3 points of racial traits from the Genetic Engineering Supplement. You may use them just like normal utility talents/racial traits. But, whenever you use those traits, or they otherwise come into play, roll 1D100. On an 80 or higher, you lose 1D20 Hit Points and can not use those traits for 1 hour. (You should ask your GM before you pick this flaw.)
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm not gonna touch Aberrant Heart, but I think flat removing Hyperactive is a little overkill. What if it worked somewhat more like this?
Hyperactive - Flaw
3/day you may cast Haste with yourself as your target. These uses are separate from Haste, the utility talent, and the two may stack their bonuses.
You suffer a stacking -1 penalty every time an ally you can see rolls a skill check that you either cannot assist, or that you fail to assist.
This penalty stacks up to 10, and decreases by 2 every time you successfully assist an ally's check, or they assist one of yours.
Penalty based off of Pinkie Pie in Party of One.

[edit] Talking with Z2, and he suggested this as a penalty to it.
Maybe: -5 to checks that require staying still: i.e. formal discussion, schmoozing at a fancy party, not-accidentally-headbutting-your-party-members while hiding in a box
Those things might actually come up some of the time, rather than a player not taking an action for an hour, which is only really possible option if they're locked up somewhere or if they're trying to craft something.
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:28 pm

That's a thought... but can't Haste be stacked on itself anyways? I dunno.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Grey Pen The Flawed wrote:That's a thought... but can't Haste be stacked on itself anyways? I dunno.
I think it can, but that's mostly to separate uses and go ahead and answer that question of if they stack.
What about the penalty portions? They're more the part that needs to be balanced.
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed on Thu May 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Tweaked Aberrant Heart a little. Also, I think I found a fix for Eerie Focus:

Eerie Focus
You're really good at what you do... but could you pay a little more attention, please? You're going to hurt someone. You gain a +3 bonus to one skill check. But, when you use that skill, choose one of the following:

A) While performing the task in question, you suffer a Perception penalty equal to half the total check result.

B) You suffer a -3 Perception check for a number of minutes equal to half the total check result, starting when you begin performing the task in question.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GentlemanOtherwise on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 pm

I think I have a fix for Storm Hopper, actually.

Stormhead

You love electricity, and it loves you. You take no damage from electrical phenomena, and - when immersed in electricity - recover 3d10 HP every minute or so that you're struck. But you might love it a little... too much; you've come to rely on it to feel well. You don't receive a Magic Point after sleeping for the night unless you've been electrocuted at least once since your last rest.

Last edited by GentlemanOtherwise on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
GentlemanOtherwise
Background Pony
Background Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 pm

This is a pretty clever concept. Making a version of thunderborn as a flaw could be very cool. It's good for flavor but not too powerful.

Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:58 am

Couldn't you (or someone in your party) just take Thunderborn or Weather-Crafting with this flaw and electrocute yourself to negate the penalty? And just how often are you going to need to recover 3d10 HP, expect maybe during or after a battle? Though I should say, to be fair, this is one of the more balanced flaws I've seen.

Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:49 am

Note: It was very, very different before I posted my initial response.

The edited version above breaks the out-of-combat/in-combat benefits divide (via HP), is fuzzy on how much HP is gained via short things like lightning strikes (I assume zero - so only sustained lightning, like electric fences which are not common in nature, would work) and is pretty flavor-wonky in general (not gaining a MP if you're not electrocuted but you are immune to electricity but you can heal from it if you're hit by a sustained current of it; though a lightning bolt to the face doesn't work for that regardless of voltage...)

Basically, I think you got too feature-creep happy with the edited version. The first one wasn't quite useful yet, but it was flavorful and nifty. Something did need to be added to it in order to make it worth a utility talent, however this went a bit too far in a few too many directions.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GentlemanOtherwise on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:18 pm

How's this, then?

Stormhead

You draw strength and vitality from electrical energy. You take no damage from electricity, and gain +3 to all checks during thunderstorms or for a minute or so after being electrocuted. However, you need that electricity to feel rested and well; you don't gain a Magic Point after resting unless you've been shocked at least once since you last rested.
GentlemanOtherwise
Background Pony
Background Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:14 am

I'm still curious, couldn't you just get an ally with Thunderborn or Weather-Crafting (both 1-point racials, or a utility talent in the second case) to electrocute you right before making any rolls? Which would also negate the penalty...

Granted, if you're playing in a party without such an ally...actually, why would you do that? I can't imagine you'd get electrocuted nearly often enough naturally to ever have a Magic Point on hand. Despite the Schizo Tech in the show, Equestria as a whole doesn't seem like the kind of place you could just lick an electrical outlet to get your electricity fix whenever you want (especially if you're out adventuring in the woods or something).

Though I must say, usually I'm finding fault with flaws in this thread because I think the penalties are too weak, so congrats on making one where I actually feel the penalty is too severe (as long as you don't have the appropriate ally, anyway).

Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GentlemanOtherwise on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:01 am

It's intended to supplement a Weather-Crafter - while you're outside, where you can just fly up and get a shock, you're golden, but you get nervous and jittery in caves, underground, inside buildings, etc. The synergy with Weather Crafting and Thunderborn is intentional, since the former requires a cloud and the latter can only hold a certain number of charges which it must replenish outdoors; the net effect is that a Stormhead will be loath to ever go underground for any period of time without carrying a cloud, and if the cloud gets smashed, that Stormhead is sunk unless he goes back outside to get a shock.
GentlemanOtherwise
Background Pony
Background Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum