Monsters by Tiger

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Monsters by Tiger

Post  tygerburningbright on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:19 pm

While Opportunistic is good for helping DMs figure out what a Sand Croc would do in battle, I wouldn't call it a trait. Traits are more like the Ambush! you have described - always going first. I have to wonder, though, whether that trait is entirely fair - if, in an RP, someone saw a Sand Croc coming, or had senses that prevented an ambush, saying "No, the sand croc is just good enough to avoid Zebra Senses" is going to make players mad.

Drain is an interesting ability, but if this is a crocodile buried in sand I can't help but wonder whether or not it makes sense. It seems to me like a magical ability, and while naturally one has to have some magic to defy evolution, I don't know if having a body made of sand naturally allows one to drain PiPs from ponies or pony-like creatures.

How many Sand Crocs do you imagine will fight a party - what's the ratio? A party of four Sand Crocs fighting four ponies doesn't sound fair, as they can heal damage if the party tries to spread it out, and if they focus on one Sand Croc at a time the others are busy charging Mummification or Sandstorm and dealing damage all the while. I doubt it's a solo monster because it doesn't have enough HP to survive for more than four rounds, much less charge up Mummification.

Opportunistic has been changed to a tatic. Ambush can now be negated by RP (one should note that this creature predated the Zebras in creation) Reflavored Drain into sandblast. And 2 or 3 for an encounter of 4-5 ponies also costs and damage for Mummification has been changed

First off, the tentacles - Does "take 1d6 damage" mean that the tentacle is hurting itself? When using Absorbing, I assume it's only going to be healing the main body. It took me a bit to realize how this might play out, but sharing one PiP pool means that, while all the tentacles are healing the main body, all it's doing is making more tentacles.

I can predict how a battle with the Horror might go - starting at 0 PiPs, it's going to use Smash and summon one tentacle. On its next turn the Tentacle is using Suck, so now that the Horror has 4 PiPs, it's going to use Destroy (how exactly does it determine what targets to attack), summoning four more tentacles. If the party doesn't destroy them, every tentacle out is going to use Suck, charging up Arise from the Deep, which will kill of the tentacles and do massive damage to the ponies. If the party DOES destroy some tentacles, the Horror will use whatever ones are left to charge up Destroy and summon four more until it can use Arise from the Deep successfully. Repeat until the party are pony-shaped splatters on the deck.

So far this doesn't seem like a solo monster that ponies can win against, since it's going to be dealing more damage than they can heal, and they can't do enough damage to it to stop it from using Arise from the Deep - and if it doesn't it looks more than happy to use Flaming Oil until everything is dead. If this isn't an end boss, perhaps rethinking the number of PiPs that it can gain in a turn, or rethinking how many tentacles Destroy makes, will make this doable.

First off suck has been made more clear while at the same time the limb HP has been lowered and the healing of Absorb has been reduced . Destroy's cost has been increased and the number or limbs has been reduced to 3. Flaming Oil's cost has been raised ( made before the Fireswath nerf). And this is a boss level encounter.

This is an interesting monster because it works based on keeping an opponent constantly weak. It's vastly improved from the Eternal Stun build that was before, but I can't help but wonder if it'll last long enough to use Block Airway. In what kind enemy of party do you expect to fight a Rainbow Serpent? This is the kind of monster that simply cannot fight in a pack of its own kind - for this to be effective it needs to fight alongside other enemies made for dealing damage.
They can now effectly be in any party of monsters
Is always blind" and "Listen to the Heart" don't work well together under the current wording. If it's always blind, Listen to the Heart would naturally not work - how can you remove blindness from someone that's always blind? Maybe make a note to the side like "(unless Listen to the Heart was used last turn)". Also, make sure you note that you can't use Listen to the Heart twice in a row - I assume it's meant to set up an attack, so having the swordmaster listen to his heart so he can listen to his heart more accurately is silly.

Octocut is more deadly than you think it is - most pony parties in the Play by Post are small. If determining the targets are indeed random, and a three-person party has a (mostly) equal number of attacks, that's 3d4 damage to two characters, and 2d4 to another; by the law of averages more damage is dealt than if the swordmaster would have used a d12. I would suggest making this a [-] move instead of a [+], or giving the swordmaster a different move if getting enough PiPs to use Leaping Slash is his priority.

Speaking of which, if the Swordmaster is always blind, unless he Listens to his Heart immediately before using Leaping Slash, that's two coin flips he has to make, and both have to be heads for him to deal damage. Granted, that's an issue that can be easily solved by simply using Listen to the Heart.

Made it more clear and it can now receive support from others. Octocut is not a [-] move and you did not factor in the fact that it could target the swordmaster himself or his allies.

20 of these in one encounter? That's 20d4 damage per turn, which is easily enough to take down and probably even kill a pony, even disregarding healing. The Diseased trait I can clearly see is based off of diseases from Dungeons and Dragons, but the thing about those is that they can be avoided with a successful check at the end of an encounter, and can be avoided if the target is never hit. Here attacks are guaranteed damage and there's no real way to avoid getting Ebola (which is fairly dark for My Little Pony, but that's besides the point).

My suggestion, besides making less than 20 of these attack at a time, would be to remove the healing effect of Drain Blood (at such low HP, it's not like they need it), rework Drain Blood into a plain bite (unless they're vampire bats, and I doubt they are, they don't drain blood, and if they carry Ebola a simple bite would be worse than a drain) and make Diseased easier to deal with - perhaps, like in Dungeons and Dragons, a save at the end of an encounter to avoid getting the effect to begin with. Maybe even describe more what the effects of Ebola are (instead of just saying "muscle ache", maybe say that the ponies start battles weakened?)

They are now sent in waves of 5. Healing effect has been removed and it can now be prevented with Endurence . Additional descrition has been added.

Resist 5? Keep in mind the damage die are d8s, d10s, and d12s. Permanently resisting 5 of any of that damage is really powerful, and if the Guardian has 60 HP, it would take 12 attacks from a d10 at full power to take him down, IF he doesn't use one of his damage negating abilities first. Maybe increase Cover to [-2] PiPs; there's a Knight ability that works the same way and costs [-2], so why is it [-1] here? Also, if this thing is defense based, don't have Shield Bash hit adjacent enemies - no shield, not even a Tower Shield, is that big or that effective as a weapon.

Second Chance is ludicrously powerful for a [-2] PiP action. If the Shield Guardian were working with some bazooka-wielding mercenary, what's stopping the guardian from using it to protect the mercenary and stretch out the battle while the bazooka guy nukes everybody else? The way it is now, it's worded so that nothing stops the effect, not even the guardian falling, so even after our heroic ponies take him down to 0 HP, bazooka man still can't take damage, since the ponies will technically have their damage redirected towards the fallen guardian. I suggest reworking it to "until the end of the Shield Guardian's next turn" or something similar.

All in all my major complaints can be summarized as improper PiP management - some of these abilities are way too powerful, especially considering Shield Bash gives 3 PiPs per use and all but one of his other moves need 3 or less PiPs to use. The guardian right now might as well be a solid brick wall - it would take about as long to just slog through.

Massive and general nerfing.

Dextrous allows the Deep One here to be an interesting enemy - fighting Sand Crocs is all the same, but Deep Ones, being humanoid (ponyoid?), have tools that allow them about as much variation of the ponies themselves. Again, the problem on average is PiP use.

The Rogue ability "Stab" deals 1d10 damage and gives the user 1 PiP, but the Deep One here has a similar ability that gives 2. Now, I'm aware that monsters and ponies don't follow the same rules, but I at least want a monster that our heroes can defeat without total annihilation and forced fleeing a collapsing lair. Unlike the Shield Guardian above, however, the other attacks look fine - Rejuvenating Strike and Take a Bite are similar enough, Sedate uses stun, which is a powerful status effect (but maybe note (save ends), and Invoke the Elders is a nice, unique "game-changer" attack (and since it does damage to the user, maybe could cost a little less, like [-4]?)

Also, is the Horror from the Deep meant to be Father Dagon? My Lovecraft is rusty.

PiP gain has been lowered. Sedate is now Save ends. Invoke cost has been lowered. And the Horror is more kraken than Father Dagon (note to self make a Father Dagon under unique)

Like the Sand Croc, attacking randomly isn't a trait, that's just behavior notes for the PH. Further, most monsters I've seen randomly attack anyway - it works in this system. I recognize the concept of trying to make a monster based on status effects, but it's harder to make a functional Marlboro than you think. Again, PiP balance - Dragon Fire is too strong for something that can deal ongoing damage. Rolling a d8 and having players consistently fail mean they're dead within a few turns. Sideswipe gives a status effect and deals damage, and gives 3 PiPs, which just sounds blatantly overpowered. Zombify could easily be abused in the player's favor, and the clever player may not ever want to be un-zombified; if they stay that way the Behemoth can't do anything unless Bad Breath were to give them Regeneration.

I don't quite get Freak of Nature; is it the Behemoth going "NO U" whenever it itself has a save-ends effect and fails, then gets rid of the effect anyway? Maelstrom is another "game-changer" move like the Deep Ones' "Invoke the Elders", but on the Behemoth it's deadly, especially considering it can apply any effect it wishes while gaining the PiPs needed to use Maelstrom and blow some unfortunate pony away.

And now onto the signature Marlboro move, Bad Breath. How are you going to "randomly" decide which effect the target gets? No killer PH worth his salt would "randomly" give a target Resist X or Regeneration X, and would favor "randomly" choosing absurdly powerful ones like Dominate or Stun. Having a numerical value randomly assigned to some stats isn't enough, because all the rest aren't affected, and a killer PH would never use those when he could luckily and "randomly" keep hitting Dominate. If the Behemoth is to truly be chaotic, use a table for Bad Breath that involves a die roll, and the PH would roll on that to see what effect he gets. A similar table might also help determine who the Behemoth attacks, but I don't think that should be a trait because the parties that would engage a Behemoth in battle would vary so much.

Chaos has been changed to tatic and given guidelines. Dragon Fire and Sideswipe have been nerfed. Freak of nature is now a reroll with a bonus. Maelstrom's damage has been reduced. Bad Breath now has a table.
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Monsters by Tiger

Post  tygerburningbright on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Play tested monsters

Giant Shield Guardian
A warrior wearing heavy plate armor and a shield larger than it's entire body. Commonly found in mercenary teams protecting the weaker members.

Info
HP 50

Traits
-Super Heavy Armor
gain 4 resist and -10 initiative

[+2] Shield bash
Deal 1D4 damage to target
[-2] Cover immediate interrupt
An ally is targeted by an attack
redirect the attack to this creature
[-3] Sprit shield
Target ally gain resist 2 and regain 1 for 3 of the ally's turns
[-5] Second Chance free action
An ally creature would be reduced to 0 HP for the rest of the encounter all damage to that ally is redirected to this creature(resist does not apply). This may only be used once per battle and ends when this creature falls unconscious.
[-6] Perfect shield immediate interrupt
Trigger An opponent targets this creature with an attack
Effect negate attack. Triggerer is stuned and takes -2 to save rolls

Condottiero
The leader of a mercenary group. Will do anything to see the job finished but is always willing to work for who ever has more money.

Info
HP 35

Traits
-Zealot
All allies gain 1 PiP at the start of their turns

[+2] Valor
Target ally deals 1D10 extra damage on their next attack
[+1] Sword slash
Deal 1D10 damage
[-3] Encourage the troops
Increase the the amount of PiPs gained by + moves by 2 for all allies. The effects of this move are removed when the caster falls unconscious.
[-6] Grand Command
All allies may take a standard as a free action. By paying 2 more PiPs the costs of those actions are lowered by 1.

Blaster
A mercenary mage of great prowess. Oddly enough has never done any physical exercise.

HP 10

[+1]Plasmabolt
Deal 1D12 damage
[+1]Plasma cutter
Deal 1D10 damage and ignore resistance
[-2] Fire two Free action
trigger deal damage
effect deal the same amount of damage to a diffrent target
[-4] Rapid bolts
Deal 3D10 damage to target and 1/3(rounded up) damage to adjacents.

Medic
What this merc lacks in compassion for the sick, respect for dignity, and any sort of verifiable formal training in medicine, the Medic more than makes up for with a bottomless supply of giant needles and a trembling enthusiasm for plunging them into exposed flesh.

info
HP 30
Trait
-Consistant Healing
Gain regen 2

[+2]Syringe Stab
Deal 1D8 damage to target and flip a coin if heads target suffers ongoing damage 1 if tails target gains regen 1
[+1] Medic Ray
target ally is healed by 1D20 if target is at full health then the target gains Temp HP equal to 1/4 of their full health(rounded up).
[-2] Quick heal free action
remove one save ends effect
[-5] Overcharge
Target is invulnerable to all damage and effects and gains regen 3 until the end of its next turn.

Lunatic
A very very insane thing in a hazmat suit carrying cans of unstable gases. No one knows why anybody would ever hire this mercenary.

info
HP 25
Traits
-Hazmat Suit gain +5 to saving rolls

[+1] Joke Gas
all creatures are weakened (save ends)
[+1] Nova Gas
All creatures suffer ongoing 3 (save ends)
[+1] Smokescreen
All creatures are blind (save ends)
[+1] Poison Gas
All creatures suffer vulnerability 3 (save ends)
[-8] Stun Flash
All creatures are stunned blinded and weakened (save separately)

Wendigo young
Weendigos are gaunt to the point of emaciation it's skin pulled tautly over its bones. With its bones pushing out against its skin, its complexion the ash gray of death, and its eyes pushed back deep into their sockets, the Weendigo looked like a gaunt skeleton recently disinterred from the grave. What mouth it had was tattered and bloody. Unclean and suffering from suppurations of the flesh, the Weendigo gave off a strange and eerie odor of decay and decomposition, of death and corruption.Wendigos are embodiments of gluttony, greed, and excess. Wendigos are not born but created by a creature resorting to cannibalism while in a frozen area. Most feed by continuing to eat what they once were however thoses old enough to have their bodies rot away begin to feed off hate.

Info
HP 40
Traits
-harrowing
target one creature at the begining of each of your turns and that creature loses one PiP. Using Harrowing upon a creature already under the effects of Harrowing replaces the previous effect, but the creature does not lose another pip. A creature under the effects of Harrowing does 4 less damage to any creature that isn't this Wendigo.
[+3] Snow fall
Deal 1D4 damage to all enemies and remove one save ends effect from yourself or an ally
[+2]Consume
Target one creature that has negative HP at the beginning of this creature's next turn if the target still has negative HP recover HP equal to 1/3 of the target's max HP(rounded up) and the target enters a Dead state. This may not be used creatures that are Dead.
[+1] Cannibalize
Deal 1D10 damage to target if that creature was subjected to your Harrowing trait this turn recover HP equal to damage dealt and gain 1 extra PiP
[-4]Deep Freeze
deal 2D10 damage to target and adjacents and weaken the targeted creature.

Advanced Wendigo
info
HP 55
Traits
-harrowing
target one creature at the begining of each of your turns and that creature loses one PiP. Using Harrowing upon a creature already under the effects of Harrowing replaces the previous effect, but the creature does not lose another pip. A creature under the effects of Harrowing does 4 less damage to any creature that isn't this Wendigo.
-gluttony
this creature has no upper limits to HP
-still not dead
when this creature falls to 0 HP for the first time it regains 110HP
[+4] Snow fall
Deal 1D4 damage to all enemies and remove one save ends effect from yourself or an ally
[+3]Consume
Target one creature that has negative HP at the beginning of this creature's next turn if the target still has negative HP recover HP equal to 1/3 of the target's max HP(rounded up) and the target enters a Dead state. This may not be used creatures that are Dead.
[+2] Cannibalize
Deal 1D10 damage to target if that creature was subjected to your Harrowing trait this turn recover HP equal to damage dealt and gain 1 extra PiP
[-3]Deep Freeze
deal 2D10 damage to target and adjacents and weaken the targeted creature.
[-7] Ice Age
deal 2D20 damage to target and adjacents and weaken them
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2