[ 1 ]
14% 14% 
[ 2 ]
7% 7% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 14

Weather-Crafting Stats Explations

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 am

Hello, this topic is to try and come up with ideas of how to use ANY stat for the act of weather crafting. And how to explain it and rationalize it to make it work in the basest of ideas. And let's also try to rank the stats form how easy you can figure out a way to explain their usage...

The three hardest I'd say when it comes to making a reasonable explanation are: Streetsmarts, Perception, and Stealth.

Edit: And of coruse, after making this thread... It was suggested to me how make the hardest one I think of work with Perception... Making evil glares make hailstorms!

Last edited by Xel Unknown on Thu May 02, 2013 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because of Z2's suggestion)
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Re: Weather-Crafting Stats Explations

Post  Z2 on Thu May 02, 2013 1:18 am

History seems befuddling to me. Other than 'time magic things so that the weather matches what it was at some point in history' I can't think of how that knowledge would help.
Stealth is another strange one, because it is associated with a LACK of interaction; I guess the player would sneak up behind the sunny day and knock it unconscious? So the cloud could move in?

Streetsmarts doesn't seem too bad. If you can convince the clouds to rain, then I'm sure you can conduct large scale social engineering to convince the water particles to form a cloud... and then rain. Alternatively, predict the unaltered weather movement, and make easy, slight adjustments to achieve the desired result.
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Thu May 02, 2013 1:33 am

History Weathercrafting: You are using your natural understanding of weather and how it works to just nudge the into whatever the desired weather outcome you wish becomes by some other minor magical means.
Xel Unknown

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode on Thu May 02, 2013 1:39 am

The most straightforward shunt is bridging the gap between weather prediction and weather manipulation, Mouse Guard style. (In Mouse Guard the 'Weather-watching' skill actually gives the player the ability to simply declare the coming weather on a success against the season)

Streetsmarts: Being aware of the coming weather scheduling and making a declaration to the effect of what you want to happen. 'The weather patrol missed a couple of scheduled storms last week, so they're gearing up for a real mother of a storm that'll be hitting in a few.'

Perception: '*sniff sniff* Ozone. There's a big storm coming, that pony'll be in real trouble if she doesn't find shelter soon.' The ranger's prediction, determining the coming weather by weight of experience or simply well developed instincts.

History: 'Watch out, this place has a history of bad weather - it may look bright and sunny now but just you wait it'll be pouring soon enough.' or alternately a sound classical training in the best historical techniques for changing the weather.

Stealth: You can change the weather... or you can be more subtle and let it change itself. Sure it takes one hell of a set of wings to drop lightning from the top of the clouds, or make a hurricane, but you'd be surprised what can go unnoticed if you just set the right chain of events in motion and let the weather form on its own. Butterfly, eat your heart out.

Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow on Thu May 02, 2013 1:59 am

History and Stretsmarts could be simultaneously explained through a Farmer's Almanac. Knowing what an area is usually like allows you to predict what the weather will be and what quirks will cause it to change from the norm.
ZamuelNow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Thu May 02, 2013 2:08 am

I didn't vote in the poll because with very little effort I can figure out an explanation for any skill.

If we want to go with just "this is me, causing this to happen" stuff, here are some ideas.

Athletics: You physically move the clouds and stuff around.
Endurance: Your natural resistance to weather effects is due to such things just being a part of you that you can summon up at will. Alternately, you carry super-condensed clouds on your back.
Acrobatics: See Athletics.
Stealth: You steal the weather from one places and put it in another. Enough bits of wind from all over and hey look, you've got a hurricane that nobody knows where it came from.
Mechanics: Weather machine.
Arcana: Weather magic.
History: You understand how the weather works and it takes very little physical/magic effort to cause it to cascade into doing what you want it to.
Heal: You keep rainbow juice and storm clouds in jars mostly for medicinal purposes but, you can use them for their natural uses too by releasing them, perhaps with a bit of alteration by adding in a dash of other weather.
Perception: You examine the weather and determine what changes need to be made to get the effect you want without overly taxing yourself.
Persuasion: You tell the weather what to do and it does it. Don't question it.
Streetsmarts: You keep tabs on the weather wherever you go and you can make minor changes to get the effect you want without a lot of effort. Alternately, you know where to find the weather you want and you guide it over.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum