New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Hey everyone, Stairc here and I'm happy to introduce a new thing to our community.

Every week, we're going to release 5 new official gameplay elements for your enjoyment and testing. They might be a mix of combat talents, utility talents, destinies, traits, items - whatever. But every week, 5 more will show up on these fair forums.

Kindulas and Nehiel Mori have buckets of ideas they're looking forward to sharing with all of us - but we also want to find the best of all the ideas created by our community. It's really hard for us to go through all the threads and read everything posted by everyone. There's bound to be things from months ago we still haven't noticed!

So here's a quick way to bring your favorite gameplay elements to our attention and maybe even get them released in one of these very updates!

Submission Process
Every week, you can submit two ideas for the expansion's consideration. Here's how you do that.

Post the Two Gameplay Elements in this Thread
Just copy and paste them, while giving credit to their original creator (if that person is not you) and post them in this thread. If you post more than 2 for a given week, we'll only look at the first two. This will ensure people focus on their favorites. Feel free to write about why you like the gameplay elements you chose, but it isn't required.

You Can Always Resubmit Ideas Next Time
If your idea isn't lucky enough to get into this expansion, we'll try to give some quick feedback on why (but if there's a ton of submissions this might not be possible for everyone). You can take any idea that didn't get in and use it as one of your two submissions for next week

The Expansion will be up by Around Midnight on Friday
The earlier in the week you get your submission in, the better its chance to get in.

Sadly, there's no way we can review whole systems every week - we're just looking to release some regular content. So if you've come up with a great way to simulate pony flight in its own, separate aerial combat system or have created a whole campaign setting you'd like to share - feel free to PM Kindulas or Nehiel Mori about it as always. This just isn't quite the right thread.

Guidelines for Submission:

Here's a few quick tips for things that are a little more likely to get into an expansion.

1) It's clearly written, isn't a wall of text (Zarhon!) and is easy to understand. Pony Tales tries it's hardest to be accessible for new players and smooth to play. Try to get your submissions clear, simple and easy to understand on the first reading. Anything that causes an argument about how the ability is supposed to work slows the game down and diminishes the fun.

2) It doesn't cause problems for DMs. Some ideas are simple and cool, but can really give DMs a headache. Phase Step, for example, would make it really hard for DMs to contain players if they needed to - if it weren't for the fact that Phase Step can't walk through magical barriers. In that case, a DM that absolutely needs to keep players out of a room can put a magical barrier around the walls too. Try not to make the DM's life harder.

3) It doesn't slow the game down. Lots of talents have been suggested that reward a player for getting a natural 20 on a skill check. The problem with this is that the player is then encouraged to make lots of meaningless skill checks - hoping for a 20.

4) It's flavorful, cool and does something the system didn't do before. If you really want to make a specific kind of character but can't because a specific genetic engineering trait, combat talent, utility talent or destiny didn't exist - that's probably a gold mine of opportunity.

Looking forward to your submissions!

Your faithful Dungeonmaster,

Dan Felder

Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  Zarhon on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Have a racial and a utility talent:

Racial - Waterborn:
(1) Waterborn
Characters of your race cannot be harmed by any naturally occurring water, including waterfalls and high-pressure water (though magical water blasts and similar can still harm them in combat). Characters of your race can also create high-pressure jets of water at will. These jets can push, knock back, and soak creatures and objects within 50 feet, and the water can be either sea-water or freshwater (drinkable).

Note: Originally, this one had you suffer no penalties whilst swimming in strong currents or similar hard-to-swim conditions, and made you unable to drown, but I decided to make it more akin to the other X-born racials. Perhaps it can be given such capabilities at a higher cost? Or have it replace the "One with the ocean" ability, to allow more of an "aquatic" focus?

Utility Talent - Necromancy:
Mind of its own - 3/day
Preparation time: 30 seconds
You enchant the limb, sensory organ, or extremity of a willing creature, causing it to detach and allowing that creature to telepathically control it. The detached body-part functions with the same skills/abilities as normal: for example, an eye can see its surroundings with your perception check, a hand can climb a door with acrobatics and then unlock it with mechanics. The body-part can only sense or feel what it normally can (a hand can feel pain and touch/pressure, but cannot see on its own), and are mobile (via hopping or rolling) for the next 10 minutes. Afterwards, it magically flies off back to its owner and re-attaches, unless restrained or damaged.

Last edited by Zarhon on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Increased Green Hooves' number of uses from its original suggestion of 2/day to 3/day since that's the same number of times you can use Speak With Nature

Utility Talent - Green Hooves:
Green Hooves - 3/day [Created by Zarhon]
Preparation time: 1 minute
You can revitalize plants back from withering into full health, or cause them to suddenly grow at an accelerated rate by a single stage (causing a tree's fruits to ripen, a vegetable to grow in size, a flower to open, a seed to sprout into a sapling, etc...).

Utility Talent - Local Lore:
Local Lore 2/Day [Created by Philadelphus and Ramsus]
Upon encountering a new place or situation, you gain a bonus on your next History or Streetwise check equal to 1/2 (round up) the number you roll on the d20 used to make the check.
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Cool suggestions so far. I think I'll post one of my own (Nehiel and Kindulas are the ones in charge of choosing what goes into each update package)

Steady-Hoofed [Utility Talent]
You do not gain magic points at the start of each new day. Whenever you roll a 1 on a skill or attribute check, you may reroll that check with a +5 bonus.

Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Wouldn't Steady-Hoofed make your Element pointless? You sure that's a good idea?

Anyway, basically any of the changes, removals, or additions I've got listed in my Skill Support thread.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:34 pm

1) Yes, it would make your element pointless. This utility talent is a flaw that shouldn't be taken lightly.

2) While Kindulas and Nehiel will also draw from other threads they happen to focus on and their own ideas for updates - if you want to make sure they go over your favorite ideas you should submit two of them here.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:10 pm

I have a utility and a racial for now:

Utility: Stepping Stones - 1/day:

You may summon up to eight magical discs that float in midair. The discs can be any size between 30 cm and 1 meter, can bear a pony's weight and are considered Immovable, but they are not indestructible. Roll Arcana to determine the DC for shattering or dispelling them.
Racial: Crystalline (2):

Your race is composed of crystal instead of flesh and blood. Most carnivores will not consider you as food or prey and your body is slightly transparant and refractive. Once per day you can curl up and slow your metabolism, dulling your natural luster in order to impersonate an ordinary rock. If so hidden, a DC 30 perception or arcana roll is required to distinguish you from normal, non-sentient stone.
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Ah, I like both of these a great deal.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Mind of it's Own could make a fun Racial talent, too - like you choose a part of your body, and that part is detachable
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 am

Ok, I do have something to suggest. That I suggested ages ago and got no response to. A change to Meditate.

[-3] Meditate - Minor Utility
Your next two attacks that have two or fewer targets deal +1d12 damage.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:25 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Cool suggestions so far. I think I'll post one of my own (Nehiel and Kindulas are the ones in charge of choosing what goes into each update package)

Steady-Hoofed [Utility Talent]
You do not gain magic points at the start of each new day. Whenever you roll a 1 on a skill or attribute check, you may reroll that check with a +5 bonus.
Um... Wouldn't the combo of Derp + Steady-Hoofed be kinda OP? You don't get the two magic points of derp, but you instend get 3 out of 20 odds of getting a +5 bonus to a skill check, with the lowest outcome for the d20 roll be to a 4.
Xel Unknown

View user profile http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:29 am

Quite possibly. Two utility talents for immunity to crit fails and 3/20 odds of +5 might be okay. After all, 3/20 x 5 is only 0.75 - and that's not a large bonus. However, you get the rerolls on the very lowest numbers - so you get it when it's most important. That's hard to calculate if it's balanced.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:02 am

Ok, thought up a second suggestion for this week. This one's a trait.

Reach
Talents that effect creatures adjacent to your target may also effect an additional target in the same manner as the adjacent creatures.
Ramsus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:24 am

THAT'S exactly why verbage should be taken into account. There are a number of talents and the like that use the verbage "Roll a nat1", and a few (i think, still, unless they all got changed) that say critical fail. You guys developing should use that verbage to your advantage; When it says "roll a nat1," it should mean ONLY if you rolled a 1, not a 2 or 3 with derp, while "crit fail" would work with any critfail, regardless of roll. And I know Derp says "treat as a nat 1", but that could just say "2 or 3 counts as crit fail". It just opens more options for different talents, interrupts, and results.

But that's not what this thread is about, so I have a UT and a CT

Utility:

Levitate- 3/day
Prep Time: ...lets say 10 seconds
You can levitate, lifting yourself into the air through mind, magic or sheer force of will. For the next 10 minutes, you can fly with good maneuverability (no/penalty to checks), using Arcana for skill checks rather than Athletics or Acrobatics.

Combat:

[0] Reload- Minor Utility
At the end of your next turn, if you have 2 or fewer pips, gain one Pip plus another Pip for every 4 pips spent that turn (not counting interrupts and reactions).

Fought with the numbers a bit in this one. I think 1+1 per 4 is fair. I think.
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:25 am

Actually, Derp is specifically written like that to enable combinations as have been described. Notably 'This is Whining'.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:29 am

I know. And like I said, missing out on a lot of options that can be added if it was two separate ideas.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:35 am

When you say things like 'this should be taken into account' - it sounds like you currently think it isn't being taken into account.

As for the combinations, I prefer players to have such interesting interactions available to them. There's enough design space in the system to go around, we're not worried about running out yet. I'd, personally, rather some more clever combinations and builds available. It makes character building more interesting, so long as a few combinations aren't *so* powerful that they make the other options irrelevant (which is where nerfs and buffs come in).

Edit - I like the Reload combat idea, flavorful and a great build tool. Just having it as a combat talent minor utility would be too powerful in pip economy for obvious reasons (just like having any [+] minor action without a heavy drawback has problems) but either having it provided via trait or weapon - or perhaps in some standard action form as a normal combat talent (+2 under normal circumstances, +more if you meet the criteria of launching a big move last turn) could work well.

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:58 am

I have two I'd like to submit

A utility talent and a Destiny

Utility Talent:

Deaths screech
1/Day
You let out a deathly screech, everyone in a 20 foot radius of you apart from allies rolls a Endurance check with a DC25. if they fail, they flee for 2 minutes away from you abandoning property and sense in terror.

Destiny:

Mystic Villain
You have decided to take the path of the dark wizards in books and focus on the magic of evil. Perhaps you learned about it in a scroll written by Sombra or maybe you just read too much fantasy and got picked on. Either way, dark wizardry is the way you decided to go.

Level 4 - Discover the Dark Magic
You’ve finally taken the true first steps on the journey to understanding the true nature of dark magic. Your magic aurora is now black, marking you out as an evil magician but you gain access to the following utility talent.

Corrupting Darkness
2/day
You now have the power to corrupt the world around to you a small extent. Corrupt an object your size or smaller for the next hour you can see so that it either refuses to work or does the opposite of what it’s meant to do. Corrupted objects turn a darker shade of their normal colour and it takes an Arcana check of DC 25 to change them back again. For example corrupting a switch means you could never turn it on; corrupting a painting would change the bright happy picture into something more dark and eerie.

Level 7 - Feeding the Power
You Magic sense grow along with your power. You gain the following at will ability and upgrade to Corrupting Darkness.

Level 7 - Magic Sense
4/day
At will
Range - 30 feet
You are able to automatically sense the presence and location of any spell, that would take an Arcana check of DC 20 or less to break, around you. You still however need to do a check to find out what exactly the spell does.

One charge of Corrupting Darkness can be used to corrupt up to three objects instead of just the one.

Level 10 - Master of Darkness
You have mastered the Magic of Darkness and unlocked the evil in your soul to perform magnificent deeds. You gain the following upgrade to your Corrupting Darkness talent and your Magic Senses  and a new utility.

Upgrade CD: Your Corrupting Darkness gains the following upgrades:
Corrupting Darkness can be used 4/day
You can now affect creatures with the following effect: When using Corrupting Darkness on a creature, they are turned malicious for 5 minutes and are willing to be commanded by you as long as they are not going to lose any property, majorly damage their standing in the town or do anything to harm their lives.

Upgraded Senses
Your Magic Sense has been upgraded. The range is upped to 50 feet and the DC for seeing spells is set to DC 30 or lower. You may also pick one of the spells you can sense and automatically know what it does.

Arcane Unraveling
1/day
Prep Time: 1 minute
Break any magical effect you see/sense within a 20 foot radius as though you rolled a cutie mark critical.

Last edited by Hayatecooper on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:10 am

This is good because I have a long list of suggestions...

Beggar's Coat (Item):
Beggar's Coat - 500 Gold
Armour
Once per round, you may use the following combat talent.
[0] Spare Some Change - Reaction Utility [1/Round]
Trigger - You take damage from an enemy attack.
Effect - You may roll either a d8, a d10, or a d12.

Training Blade (Item):
Training Blade - 500 Gold
Weapon
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.
[-1] Beginner's Luck - Minor Utility [1/Battle]
Your next single-target attack ignores resist.

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:37 am

Hayatecooper wrote:I have two I'd like to submit

A utility talent and a Destiny

Utility Talent:

Deaths screech
1/Day
You let out a deathly screech, everyone in a 20 foot radius of you apart from allies rolls a Endurance check with a DC25. if they fail, they flee for 2 minutes away from you abandoning property and sense in terror.

Destiny:

Mystic Villain
You have decided to take the path of the dark wizards in books and focus on the magic of evil. Perhaps you learned about it in a scroll written by Sombra or maybe you just read too much fantasy and got picked on. Either way, dark wizardry is the way you decided to go.

Level 4 - Discover the Dark Magic
You’ve finally taken the true first steps on the journey to understanding the true nature of dark magic. Your magic aurora is now black, marking you out as an evil magician but you gain access to the following utility talent.

Corrupting Darkness
2/day
You now have the power to corrupt the world around to you a small extent. Corrupt an object for the next hour you can see so that it either refuses to work or does the opposite of what it’s meant to do. Corrupted objects turn a darker shade of their normal colour and it takes an Arcana check of DC 25 to change them back again. For example corrupting a switch means you could never turn it on; corrupting a painting would change the bright happy picture into something more dark and eerie.

Level 7 - Feeding the Power
You Magic sense grow along with your power. You gain the following at will ability and upgrade to Corrupting Darkness.

Level 7 - Magic Sense
At will
Range - 30 feet
You are able to automatically sense the presence and location of any spell, that would take an Arcana check of DC 20 or less to break, around you. You still however need to do a check to find out what exactly the spell does.

Corrupting darkness can now be used on three objects at a time provided they are smaller than you.

Level 10 - Master of Darkness
You have mastered the Magic of Darkness and unlocked the evil in your soul to perform magnificent deeds. You gain the following upgrade to your Corrupting Darkness talent and your Magic Senses  and a new utility.

Upgrade CD: Your corrupting darkness gains the following upgrades: You can now have an additional 2 uses of the ability. You can now affect creatures with the following effect: When using corrupting darkness on a creature, they are turned malicious for 5 minutes and are willing to be commanded by you as long as they are not going to lose any property, majorly damage their standing in the town or do anything to harm their lives.

Upgraded Senses
Your magic has been upgraded. In a range of 50 feet you can now sense spells but the DC is set to 30 or lower and you can pick one spell you detect and automatically know what it does.

Arcane Unraveling
1/day
Prep Time: 1 minute
Break any magical effect you see/sense within a 20 foot radius as though you rolled a cutie mark critical.
@ Death's Screech: Why endurance? Seems more likely they'd use arcana, or persuasion, to "resist being afraid". The talent also kinda makes "terrify" and "villainous laughter" redundant/pointless.

@ Mystic villain: - Do you get an extra three uses at lvl7 (so, 1 normal sized and 3 small sized objects)? If you have a larger object corrupted, can you corrupt the two-three smaller ones then? How can you have three objects corrupted simultaneously with only two charges (nothing states you get extra charges until lvl10)?
- How can you pick only one spell to identify, since the ability is active constantly? When can you re-use/recharge this "identification"?
- Wouldn't corrupting creatures with cutie mark skills cause them to catastrophically fail at those skills?
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:46 am

Zarhon wrote:
@ Death's Screech: Why endurance? Seems more likely they'd use arcana, or persuasion, to "resist being afraid". The talent also kinda makes "terrify" and "villainous laughter" redundant/pointless.

@ Mystic villain: - Do you get an extra three uses at lvl7 (so, 1 normal sized and 3 small sized objects)? If you have a larger object corrupted, can you corrupt the two-three smaller ones then? How can you have three objects corrupted simultaneously with only two charges (nothing states you get extra charges until lvl10)?
- How can you pick only one spell to identify, since the ability is active constantly? When can you re-use/recharge this "identification"?
- Wouldn't corrupting creatures with cutie mark skills cause them to catastrophically fail at those skills?

Why endurance? Cause why not to be honest, not many skills call for it and there should be more that do.

-Going to edit the three uses things for clarity, will probably just make it three per day(And probably put a your size or smaller clause on there).

-You can pick one object because the ability, though an at will, is not an aura meaning the user has to choose to cast it so you could pick 1 of any of the charms you detected. Will probably make a thing limiting it to 4 times a day though for ease of use.

-No. It just turns them malicious, as explained in the thing. You don't get to discordify them.
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:58 am

Paper Shadow wrote:
Training Blade (Item):
Training Blade - 500 Gold
Weapon
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.
[-1] Beginner's Luck - Minor Utility [1/Battle]
Your next single-target attack ignores resist.

I think this needs to be a trinket - as a weapon, there's next to no reason to take it or keep it, other than as a temporary filler, since there are loads of other (if costlier) weapon options, that don't rely on enemies having resist to fully benefit from.

It also probably needs a bunch more uses (or if its only 1/battle, make it free of pip costs).

Alternately, give it an extra side benefit, like dealing 1 or 2 damage to an enemy that rolls a nat1 on their combat/damage dice.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:28 pm

We may need a separate thread for discussions so the submission thread doesn't get cluttered. However, the biggest issue with Training Blade is really the limited number of uses which makes sense for the low cost. It's situational (like almost everything) but the ability to bypass resistance could prove quite useful against some enemies.
ZamuelNow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:43 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:We may need a separate thread for discussions so the submission thread doesn't get cluttered.  However, the biggest issue with Training Blade is really the limited number of uses which makes sense for the low cost.  It's situational (like almost everything) but the ability to bypass resistance could prove quite useful against some enemies.
All of the things in my combat expansion, including the Training Blade, can be discussed here...

The Training Blade isn't suppose to be a competitor for weapons. It's suppose to be a competitor for the 500 Gold items. I guess that doesn't excuse it from not getting a buff, which it most likely needs, but I don't really expect it to be too powerful even after the buff...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Edit - I like the Reload combat idea, flavorful and a great build tool. Just having it as a combat talent minor utility would be too powerful in pip economy for obvious reasons (just like having any [+] minor action without a heavy drawback has problems) but either having it provided via trait or weapon - or perhaps in some standard action form as a normal combat talent (+2 under normal circumstances, +more if you meet the criteria of launching a big move last turn) could work well.

There's where I messed up. While I had been toying with it I was experimenting with "gain a pip per action used, not counting free/interrupts/reacts". SO I had made it a Minor, so at the very least it could be used in conjunction with Gather Energy. But since I went with the pip per pips spent, I should have changed it back to a standard.
A1C Bronymous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next