Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

+28
Pingcode
deonte9109
Caden2112
Mind Gamer
LoganAura
Doc pseudopolis
thematthew
Z2
Cardbo
AlicornPriest
sunbeam
Quietkal
Kenzamaka
Azureink
Philadelphus
Nehiel Mori
Fury of the Tempest
Dusk Raven
Paper Shadow
Hayatecooper
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
Kindulas
kajisora
Ramsus
ZamuelNow
Zarhon
Stairc -Dan Felder
32 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 22 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:32 am

Hayatecooper wrote:1. You sure? Cause the fact they turn Friendship into literal magic rainbows kinda proves otherwise.
2. Well, depends on your definition of stopped. I mean, Chrysalis was defeated by love(Weilding by the Love Alicorn through a magical blast) and Discord was stoned(By oh look.. a set of MAGICAL items.)
3. Again.. I don't see how the Sonic Rainboom isn't magic. It must be some magical effect, or freaken any Pegasus could pull it off or pull off something similar.
1. Yes. I am sure. Otherwise Twilight wouldn't of been Celestia's student.
2. Again, proving that the villians were defeated by the power of bonds. Magic was just the way it was transferred.
3. It represents the peak of athleticism. Like how Usain Bolt ran 100m in 9.58 seconds.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here - Page 22 Empty Re: New Expansions - New Content - Post your favorites here

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:34 am

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:39 am

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Sure, go ahead.

Solve the problem by creating an EVEN BIGGER PROBLEM.

That is SO SMART
"If magic isn't solving all your problems, you're not using enough." Razz
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:44 pm

So... any thoughts on my Destiny?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:46 pm

Where is it? I missed it.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:50 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Where is it? I missed it.
Yeah... I really didn't help with that.

Arguing at 4AM is stupid.... as is arguing at all really.

Gravity Master:
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Reworded one of my entries for this week:

Racial - Photosynthetic:
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:00 am

Fury of the Tempest wrote:
Gravity Master:
[/color]
I think gravity manipulation seems a little bit awkward for a destiny, really. And if you can pin someone to the floor, it doesn't matter if it can't kill them, that's still pretty usefully in combat. Being able to reverse gravity in an area in general seems too useful in combat, actually. Maybe if it only worked on small objects, but that hardly seems like a destiny feature. Also I can see players trying to reverse gravity on people's weapons, which they shouldn't get to do. People use Telekinesis and Immovable on swords and guns too much as it is.

Time manipulation I can better see. Have a five minutes "Redo" button maybe as a level 7 Magic ability, with extra uses given at level 10, and level 4 perhaps a way to look into the past and some other stuff. Not sure what the actual effect of slowing time would be, except like Haste and a bonus to... reaction checks or something.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:06 am

ZamuelNow wrote:Reworded one of my entries for this week:

Racial - Photosynthetic:
So, for one thing I don't think this needs to be 2 points, frankly I don't think it's good enough for 1. Perhaps if it just said you regenerate missing body parts and such damage over night? And we should probably make it clear that if you "need fertile soil," you don't need to actually be planted in dirt... unless that was the idea. Still, I'm not sure how I feel about this one
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:13 am

A question about this proposed racial, would it allow you to regenerate limbs? Because I imagine a plant creature or such would do so.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:46 am

The original concept actually was regeneration of limbs but in the discussion thread it was pointed out both the general people being trolls and doing things like cutting off limbs to freak out the normals or breaking the ability by cutting off their arm to use as a bludgeon for something and building up infinite sticks. Plus I had other stuff in there like healing from a disease. I scaled it back after that though I still wanted it to simply be regen. The original proposal:

Photosynthetic - Original Draft:

As far as soil, I figured that while everyone else is eating around the fire, you'd just have your feet/roots in the ground for those 10-20 minutes. It's somewhat meant to be for flavor text but it does alters things a bit for a campaign that's super strict about resources or if you're stranded/captured.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:23 am

What's wrong with using abilities to avoid fights? Hell, the fact that you might actually use such a talent in combat makes it a lot more interesting to me.

Besides, just because an enemy is pinned down or floating, doesn't mean they can't fight.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:What's wrong with using abilities to avoid fights? Hell, the fact that you might actually use such a talent in combat makes it a lot more interesting to me.

Besides, just because an enemy is pinned down or floating, doesn't mean they can't fight.
No but it hampers their ability to fight, it's a combat application
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:14 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:The original concept actually was regeneration of limbs but in the discussion thread it was pointed out both the general people being trolls and doing things like cutting off limbs to freak out the normals or breaking the ability by cutting off their arm to use as a bludgeon for something and building up infinite sticks.  Plus I had other stuff in there like healing from a disease.  I scaled it back after that though I still wanted it to simply be regen.  The original proposal:

Photosynthetic - Original Draft:

As far as soil, I figured that while everyone else is eating around the fire, you'd just have your feet/roots in the ground for those 10-20 minutes.  It's somewhat meant to be for flavor text but it does alters things a bit for a campaign that's super strict about resources or if you're stranded/captured.
1) As far as people being trolls, there's a a rule I like to use whenever a power might allow someone to do something silly (but not game breaking). "If they weren't going to take their character seriously anyway, how would giving them this option change that?"
I mean, just look at Bioluminescence. Sure, someone can apply that to silly parts of their character, but they probably were going to be silly anyway.
2) Arm as weapon: So? Not sure if that should fall under "That doesn't really do anything mechanically because combat-flavor" or the "They were going to be silly anyway" rule
3) Infinite sticks? At a certain number per day, maybe. I don't see how regenerating overnight can be much of a resource issue, especially since the character needs sustenance to survive anyway.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Kindulas wrote:No but it hampers their ability to fight, it's a combat application
So? If the person thinks of it using it that way, then they should be allowed to use it. If the DM allows it.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:
Kindulas wrote:No but it hampers their ability to fight, it's a combat application

So? If the person thinks of it using it that way, then they should be allowed to use it. If the DM allows it.
But that's an important rule of our system. It always has been. Utility powers shouldn't have combat applications. Sure, the DM can let things slide in some situations, but anything that says you can pin people to the floor way to clearly breaks that rule
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Pinning people to the floor does nothing in terms of combat application, apart from stopping them from running away! You automaticly hit, and you don't need to move in order to be able to cast magic
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Mind Gamer Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Pinning could be used to break initiative, though. "I had you pinned, so my move goes first" kind of thing. Or deal out-of-combat damage that then transferred into the fight itself. "I broke your limbs, guess you can't use that weapon now."
Mind Gamer
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:10 pm

"I got you pinned, I go first."
"Actually, because you spent the time pinning you, and I fight without movement, I go first still."

"Ha, I just broke your arm!"
"Oh is that all? I'll just continue fighting with the rest of my body/my magic."
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Mind Gamer Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:19 pm

"I pinned you, I go first."
"I don't fight with movement, so I go first."
"Actually, the Pin causes you to begin combat Stunned. So I go first anyway."

"Broke your arm."
"I'll just fight with everything else I had."
"Broke your neck."

And so on and so forth. It opens the door to so many arguments about what it really does that it seems like more trouble than it's worth when allowed to work with combat.
Mind Gamer
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Mind Gamer wrote:"I pinned you, I go first."
"I don't fight with movement, so I go first."
"Actually, the Pin causes you to begin combat Stunned. So I go first anyway."

"Pin doesn't stun him. I'm the GM, not you."

Mind Gamer wrote:""Broke your arm."
"I'll just fight with everything else I had."
"Broke your neck."

"His neck isn't in a position where you can break it just by increasing the gravity. I allowed you to break his arm. Don't push your luck."

Problem solved. It isn't more trouble than its worth, as its up to the GM. If he decides it just changes the flavour of the battle, then it just change the flavour of the battle. If it has an actual in-combat effect according to the GM, then it does.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Mind Gamer Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:52 pm

So in both cases, it comes down to the GM ruling that the talent is not used in combat.

Great. So the talent is now made effectively useless if the creature captured decides to engage combat, regardless of how well it's pinned.
Mind Gamer
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:00 pm

It's a roleplaying game, anything the GM declares doesn't work doesn't. I don't think pinning people successfully is going to logically result with a GM declaring combat starts unless they escape the pin (which the GM will likely roll for, not just declare unless plot important). Lighting things on fire or making it rain is not always going to be useful either, that doesn't make those abilities overall useless.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mind Gamer Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:10 pm

That's... Close to what I meant. Not quite.

"So what if you have me pinned. I'll fight with the rest of my body."

That statement in of itself makes the argument that even if you pinned a creature to the ground, through flavor, they could justify attacking even if it's with a headbutt, magic, or biting your legs off. Escaping the pin isn't needed. Combat starts, and the pin is pointless.
Mind Gamer
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:51 pm

@Kindulas: I had set it to 2 points due to basing it partially off of Mechanical but I can see lowering it to just 1. I feel that it is worth at least 1 with the regeneration since it does alter aspects of how the character is played though it's more plot than pure stat buffs. G1 and G4 both have varying plant creatures so it does fit into the setting. I guess reflexively self nerfing the concept could be a bit of a lesson about balancing things though feedback can sometimes be difficult at times. Speaking of which...

@Fury: I'm curious, have you seen Philadelphus' gravity utility suggestion? I know there was some back and forth discussion that may be of use to your destiny proposal or perhaps you may find you want to suggest adjustments to the utility concept.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next