Kaji's Destiny Dump

Go down

Kaji's Destiny Dump

Post  kajisora on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Thought I'd put together a few Destinies, see what came out of my cranium...
Here's the first three, might add more if I think up some more.

Beastkin:

L4: Animal Companion
You find that you share a kinship with animals above and beyond that of normal folk. You may spend an hour to form a bond with a small or medium sized creature, with 4 points worth of traits from the Genetic Engineering document. The creature has 8 points in one skill, and 4 in all others.
Once bonded, you gain the Animal Speak utility talent for this creature, even if you do not meet the prerequisites. Only one bond can be formed at a time.
When the bond is first formed, or during an extended rest, you may grant (or remove from) the bonded creature up to three utility talents that you have access to, but you will lose access to these talents while it has them.
If your companion creature dies, you will regain access to the borrowed utility talents after an extended rest. Only after this may a new bond be formed.

L7: Animal Kin
Your sense of familiarity with your animal companion (and with animals in general) has grown even further. You will instinctively know the relative position of your bonded companion, can use Animal Speak even with creatures you are not bonded to and your animal companion gains 2 points to spend on racial talents.
Additionally, you no longer lose access to utilities granted to your companion, though you still share the same use limit.

L10: True Bond
There is no longer any meaningful separation between you and your bonded companion. You may share thoughts and see through each other’s eyes at will and your companion gains access to all your utility talents, while you gain access to it’s racial talents.
In addition, you may now bond Large creatures, and gain access to the following utility talent:
Switch the Selves - 2/day
Preparation time: 30 seconds
You and your animal companion may switch places within a range of up to 60 feet.
This switch is instantaneous and cannot be blocked, though you cannot switch into a
place that is too small to contain you.

Traverser:

L3: Parkour
You’re the kind of person who just cannot sit still. Moving around is just what you do.
You gain access to the Spider Climb and Feline Grace racial traits, and gain a +10 to skill checks made to traverse any terrain.

L7: Parkata Urubatsu
Ahh, the freedom to go where you will! Granted, you still have some physical limitations, but it isn’t easy to prevent you access to places you want to go.
Your bonus from Spider Climb now totals +20 and works for any skill check related to vertical movement. Additionally, you gain access to the following utility talent:
Can’t keep me out - 1/day
Preparation time: 1 minute
Door blocking your path? Gate barring your way? Chained down and helpless?
Not for long. On activation, you may open any non-magical lock or restraint within 30 feet.  

L10: Master of Movement.
Nothing stops you from going where you will. Walls, doors, sheer cliffs... They can’t hold you in. They can’t hold you out. Hell, they barely even slow you down. Apart from your usual climbing prowess, you can now run across the surface of fluids without falling in and can stick to any surface with a +5 bonus.
You also gain the Phase Step utility talent, and may use it at will.

Zombie:
L4: Infected
It seems you have come down with a mild case of the zombie bug. It doesn’t seem all that bad, and you’re not infectious (yet). Still scary though.
You look slightly off; pale skin, sunken eyes, the occasional shamble... You gain the Mechanical and Terrify Traits, and are considered undead
(Note: the undead part might not matter much: just there for effects which care about that, like Form of the Raven)

L7: Diseased
Well this ain't pretty. The virus has spread through your system, further degrading your body. For some reason though, your mind remains intact. Oh, and you’re infectious now. Congratulations. You gain the following Utility Talent:

Nom - 2/day
Preparation time: Instantaneous
You attempt to bite a target creature. If you succeed, you and your victim roll opposing heal checks. If you manage to beat your victim’s check, the victim becomes infected, and will die within four hours, returning as a mindless (noninfectious) zombie. The zombie will recognise you as it’s leader and follow you around for the next two days, after which it collapses in true death. Mindless zombies have no utility or racial talents save Mechanical and Terrify and will follow simple instructions. They retain the skill attributes they had upon death, but they cannot make knowledge checks. Nor can they speak or remember more than one word at a time.

L10: Virulent
There’s no mistaking you for the living now. The zombification process has now fully corrupted your body. You can use Terrify at will, and gain the following Utility Talent:
Shambling horde - 1/session
Preparation time: 10 minutes
You summon every mindless zombie you have infected over the course of your... disease to rise around you and walk the earth in a shuffling, moaning menagerie of doom. For a while. The horde disappears after an hour, and will follow your every command with no sense of self preservation.
Yes, I realise that the description for Nom is on the long side. so much stuff to pin down....

Feel free to criticise, applaud, or juggle gelatinous orcas

Last edited by kajisora on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 am; edited 3 times in total
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kaji's Destiny Dump

Post  Hayatecooper on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:51 pm

I like Companion and Zombie, both could be quite amusing.

Traversers lvl 10 is kinda underwhelming...(I know how Hypocritical that is coming from me). Maybe give the players the ability to stick to things for free? Cause being able to run on ceilings for free would be great. But yeah, I kinda want to take Companion for something now.
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Really? I thought at-will phase step might actually be too powerful. Then again, I just really like phase step.
Sticking to walls/ceilings fits really well... I'll go ahead and add that in.
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Stick to ceiling... wander above peoples heads by phase stepping through door frames
lol forever
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Beastkin looks really cool, seems well worded, and fits a specifically asked about feature for the system.
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:49 pm

1) Beastkin looks pretty neat, though it doesn't seem to quite fit the "epic" scope of most destinies. Maybe give an extra beast you can bond to at levels 7 and 10? Possibly give the pet stat improvements as well?

2) Spider Climb technically does give you to option to "stick to walls and ceilings" by means of a high check. The lvl7 is very specific circumstance - it should probably be "lock or any form of restraint" to keep a rope from completely shutting you down. And maybe adding the ability to run across water.

3) Zombie fits the theme, but is very problematic, mechanically and morally/flavor wise (you have to irreversibly kill dozens of creatures to have any use out of your lvl10 power!), gives very few benefits for a load of downsides (killing creatures, whatever social stigma NPCs will put on you from your actions and/or undead appearance), and ultimately doesn't feel "epic" in its scope.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kajisora on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Zarhon wrote:1) Beastkin looks pretty neat, though it doesn't seem to quite fit the "epic" scope of most destinies. Maybe give an extra beast you can bond to at levels 7 and 10? Possibly give the pet stat improvements as well?

2) Spider Climb technically does give you to option to "stick to walls and ceilings" by means of a high check. The lvl7 is very specific circumstance - it should probably be "lock or any form of restraint" to keep a rope from completely shutting you down. And maybe adding the ability to run across water.

3) Zombie fits the theme, but is very problematic, mechanically and morally/flavor wise (you have to irreversibly kill dozens of creatures to have any use out of your lvl10 power!), gives very few benefits for a load of downsides (killing creatures, whatever social stigma NPCs will put on you from your actions and/or undead appearance), and ultimately doesn't feel "epic" in its scope.

1:
I don't think more critters would be the solution, as it would make thing unnecessarily complicated. As it is, you have to keep track of two characters, which can get confusing. Imagine splitting yourself between 3 or 4. Also a lot of extra work for the DM.
Power upgrades could work. I was thinking along the line of increasing the maximum size, with the stats that follow from that: having an Ursa companion would be hilarious.
maybe 2 more racial points at 7, then Large creatures at 10? Or maybe have it share your stats as well?
Sizes don't seem to be explained in the docs anywhere, which makes it kinda difficult to attach a value to it.

2:
Yeah, just locks might be limiting it a bit too much. The concept I started with was "Open any door that's in your way". I think I tried to avoid making it a major mcguffin circumvention a bit too much.
The sticking is more for doing wall runs/moving up walls with no handholds. But I guess you can do that with a skill check anyway.

3:
Agreed with the moral problem, but I think that's part of the fun tbh. The only places I would even consider taking it (or allowing it as the DM) is in either a dark setting, or a campaign that revolves more or less around slapstick comedy. Much like Madness now that I think about it

As for the epic feel/scope: I dunno. Doesn't really feel like that to me (probably because I made them). I tend to feel that way about Rockstar and Detective actually
kajisora
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum