Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC)

+7
Brony 7 of 9
Fury of the Tempest
Demonu
Lyntermas
Ramsus
A1C Bronymous
Xel Unknown
11 posters

Page 1 of 37 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next

Go down

Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC) Empty Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC)

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 am

Ok... now tomorrow I must read this posting... And stuff.... But the idea of playing around in Desert-Japan with Dinos sounds AWESOME! So you've got me hooked with that one line.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC) Empty Re: Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC)

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 am

Lemme just say one thing:

Naruto sucks.

That said, I may give this a shot. But I really don't like anime in general, and it sounds like that's a major inspiration here. Also, you would make Kobolds a "Greater Race".
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC) Empty Re: Playing In The Sandbox (Recruitment, Info, And OOC)

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 am

It's really not particularly anime inspired. Japan is as much a place as Europe.

I certainly agree about Naruto.

Why Kobolds are classified as a greater race requires a History check. Which I guess you can't make yet. =P
Edit: Also, if you note I mostly inverted the normal superior/inferior race paradigm entirely.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:17 am

Given the fact I've never played ANY version of D&D I'll need all the help I can get with building a character... >.>
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:16 am

Well, I assumed it was Naruto-inspired, what with the ninja "clans". Historical ninjas were mercenaries, spies, and most importantly assassins, but not family groups or bands. Also, they didn't run around in bright orange screaming at the top of their lungs. Nor did they use magic.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:48 am

You think Naruto came up with ninja clans? What.

Well, no way to prevent magic using ninja in this case. It's D&D, everyone has as much access to magic as everyone else. Though admittedly I guess ninja clans was inspired by various anime but...not that one. Really I just wanted other groups with different rules that still interacted with the main governmental group. And I knew I was having ninja anyway. It was just sort of an obvious direction to go with those ideas.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:56 am

As long as its not Naruto. Except now I really have to think about what kind of character to bring.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:48 am

Not a human or a ranger? Super helpful right?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:04 pm

It doesn't help that I've never bothered to look up what most of those races are or what they do. Or how they act. Or anything remotely useful to playing one. But since by this point its obvious Horizon is going to survive the other game, I think that means I can use a modified version of my backup character. But I'm still undecided.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:11 pm

Well, if you need info on those races and classes just send me a PM. I think it's worth taking a brief look over what is what as most of those races are going to show up in the game and your character should be familiar with them anyway.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 pm

I kinda glanced over a few of them online last night, when I realized that this whole time I thought a Deva was just a human with certain spiritual traits. So I checked that out, and then clicked a bunch of other races to see whats up. But yeah, still mostly unfamiliar.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:40 pm

A big question I'm wondering that strikes as worthwhile to comment here, is, what is the difference between choosing to play a Lesser or Greater Race?

I ask cause out of the list there... Oddly enough Pixie seems to be the most appealing for me try out.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Basically your social standing and where you might come from, stuff like that. I listed everything I thought was important about the difference in the setting stuff. Though, if there's anything you think I missed, just ask.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 pm

Added monks because, apparently I forgot them.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:57 pm

Hmm. Interesting idea, with the setting encouraging players to explore the "races less traveled by". I need to look more into these races (and into classes other than wizard), but it might be fun to do another campaign. Give me a little time, I'll see if I can't come up with something.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:13 am

You have 10 minutes! (+/- However long you need.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:52 am

Ramsus, I noticed that you would prefer more "lesser races" than "greater" ones. I was thinking of being a psion, either a tiefling (greater) or human (lesser). Right now my main source of information is this page. In either case, the character would probably have a goal of "upward mobility", and might favor telepathy skills. Any help building this character would be appreciated.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:08 am

Lemme drop this before it gets taken:

Name: Alma
Race: Genasi Watersoul
Class: Druid
Attributes:
  • Strength-8
  • Constitution-13
  • Dexterity-10
  • Intelligence-14
  • Wisdom-16+2=18
  • Charisma- 14+2=16

Skills:
Diplomacy (Chr) Trained
History (Int) Trained
Insight (Wis) Trained
Nature (Wis) Trained
Profession: Cage Fighter Artist

Alma was high-born to a Genasi Warrior family, and experienced the higher learning that comes with the rank. She often rebelled against her father (a Firesoul), and disagreed with the caste system in general. Despite all of the benefits she was afforded by her birth, she left home dedicated to aiding those of lesser birth and caste against oppression. However, this crusade was not to be, and she soon found herself wandering the desert- not exiled, per se, just sort of drifting without purpose. She became enthralled by the spiritual nature of the desert, and learned to appreciate its beauty and danger. Now she spends much of her time doing simple kindnesses for the poor and the lower class, and offering her services as a guide and carekeeper for caravans through the desert. She has little contact with her family, but bears their seal, in order that she may reap the benefits of her high birth when necessary.

Alma is 5'9", and she has water-esque "hair", as opposed to being bald.

What did I miss, because this was too confusing for me to get it all.

Last edited by Bronymous on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:08 am

I don't really want more lesser, just around half and wanted there to be at least one greater so you had at least one person in the party so the greater races wouldn't be like "pffft, look at those people thinking we notice they are talking to us."

Ok I'll send you a PM.

Hmm so far:
Bronymous: Genasi Druid?
Xel: Pixie ???
Lynt: Tiefling or Human Psion?
Demonu: A few things (all greater races)?
???: ???

Last edited by Ramsus on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:10 pm

Btw, if you guys need any help/want to discuss things faster than via PM and have MSN, my address for that is: plagesama@ranmamail.com
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:38 pm

If going by 4th ed D&D, I'd like to propose:
- Grymnos, tiefling warlock
or
- Dreimir, shardmind sorceror

Think I also have a dragonborn warlord lying around somewhere...
Or maybe I should look into those other races as well. Been a long time since I played something different.

So will you be using all of 4th ed D&D mechanics or just a select few?

BTW, just a suggestion but if you're going to run D&D instead of Pony Tales, might it not be easier to do so on rpol.net? It's better equiped/specialized for this kind of thing.
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 pm

*shrug* It might not seem like it but, I'm kinda shy. I like to stick to places and people I know when I can. I also like to avoid being part of more than a few forums as each one ends up taking up more of my time, no matter how little I had initially intended to spend there.

Very few of the 4th ed mechanics will be used, they'll mostly just be looked at for reference for ideas for what people should and shouldn't be capable of pulling off and for flavor. 4th ed as is moves too slowly in play by posts in my experience.

Hmmm. Now I wish Lynt was more solid on his racial choice (or I knew if he was willing to do one of the lesser races besides human). I was hoping to have at least 2 members of the lesser races and, unless I get very surprised, it doesn't look like we're going to get a 5th player (then again maybe I'm being impatient).
Edit 2: This was not intended as a not so subtle hint to go find us a 5th player so you can make them play a lesser race. But...feel free.

All of those propositions sound fine aside from the whole lesser/greater races conundrum, though if you and Lynt both end up wanting Tiefling you'll have to discuss that or Cthulhu-Boat-Cultist for it or something.

Note: Cthulhu-Boat-Cultist is Rock-Paper-Scissors with different hand shapes. Cultist is index and middle finger held downwards (human legs), Boat is hand cupped with fingers pointing forwards, Cthulhu is thumb tucked in and fingers held downwards (tentacle face). Cthulhu gets rammed by boat (canonical victory over Cthulhu method), cultists sabotage boat, Cthulhu eats cultist.

Edit: Bronymous, that looks good. We'll have to discuss how she learned to be a druid but, otherwise is good. I'm surprised you didn't pick a few more skills (that's not bad or anything though). You might want to have Heal and Endurance considering....wandering around the desert.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:15 am

Meh, maybe I'll go crazy and take something new entirely.

Also, I'm not getting this whole lesser/greater races thing. Sure, the races in the former are among the more prominent ones in D&D but calling them lesser and greater races combined with your campaign setting seems to indicate and encourage racism or speciesism.

About classes, restricted to 4th ed handbooks or are ones like these ones (the first list, not the alphabetical ones) fair game?

And what about racial powers or racial feats or regular feats and other rules?

Or is what Bronymous put up enough to get started?
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:32 am

Yeah, racism is indeed the implication. We probably won't explore the more uncomfortable implications but, it would be at least casual "we are better than them" for most npcs of greater races. It's also something of a historical grudge. It's up to you guys if your characters behave in that way of course. (And I'm certainly not encouraging comparisons to real world racism.)

Well, I'd be willing to look at whatever idea you wanted I suppose. Not like we have the usual worries of "is this balanced/playtested enough?" Mostly it'd just be a matter if I can make sense of it fitting into the setting somehow.

Well you can certainly use your racial powers as inspiration for stuff you can do. It's up to you guys how detailed you want to get with feats but, anything that just effects numerical values or mechanics we aren't using would be pretty meaningless. As far as racial feats, I'm ok with people just acting like they have a few of the ones they could have at their level.

What Bronymous put up is certainly enough, though I will probably talk in PM/over MSN to everyone about their character's background and stuff like that before we start.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:07 am

Hamadryad sounds interesting but a trees related character wouldn't make sense in a desert setting.

Looking through the other options but the interesting ones are all in the "greater" races list...
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 37 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next