Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kirin Template

3 posters

Go down

Kirin Template Empty Kirin Template

Post  Masterweaver Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Once, long ago, alcohol was invented and Luna slept with a dragon.

There's no getting around it, the first Kirin was the result of a drunken binge and all Kirin lines since then have only existed because somebody kept meticulous records of the pregnancy and spells used to address medical issues. Modern Kirin, however, try their best to ignore this; in fact their society is for the most part rigidly honorable, to a degree that makes ponies uncomfortable. Thankfully, this is mostly confined to Neighpon, where Kirin three or more generations from their original mating reside, and the few half-dragons in Equestria are actually quite friendly. Still, the flowery culture of Neighpon produces exquisite artworks; even Kirin who reject their cultural superiority maintain a degree of poise and an instinctual territorial lust over what they consider to be precious to them.

TO MAKE A KIRIN
First, make a pony. Then replace one of the pony's racial traits with the following:
--If Earth Pony: Fire breath. The Kirin can breathe a two-foot jet of fire at will, although there is nothing inherently magical about it.
--If Pegasus: Dragon Rage. The Kirin gains a bonus combat ability; they can still only use five in combat.
--If Unicorn: Potent Power. +2 Utility talents.

Kirin have access to all utility talents their parent pony race would have, although they still need to make the prerequisites.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Kirin Template Empty Re: Kirin Template

Post  XandZero2 Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Okay, so I don't know if alcohol-induced sexual promiscuity is appropriate for an MLP setting, but I could see the possibility of half-dragon/ half-ponies in Equestria, especially with Spike constantly chasing after Rarity.

Here's my main problem with the template though - it seems to just make Kirin better than ponies. Where's the balancing factor? In my opinion, for the race to be viable, it has to be balanced a bit more somehow.

Also, didn't Stairc say he wanted to avoid racial combat abilities?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 pm

XandZero2 wrote:Okay, so I don't know if alcohol-induced sexual promiscuity is appropriate for an MLP setting
Yeah, let's not write a dragon-shipping-with-luna into the official lore. Of course, I'd have no trouble with this in someone's own campaign interpretation. Not half as crazy as some things the players have done in my game. *laughs*

XandZero2 wrote:But I could see the possibility of half-dragon/ half-ponies in Equestria, especially with Spike constantly chasing after Rarity.

Here's my main problem with the template though - it seems to just make Kirin better than ponies. Where's the balancing factor? In my opinion, for the race to be viable, it has to be balanced a bit more somehow.

Also, didn't Stairc say he wanted to avoid racial combat abilities?

All fair points, and yep - I can't put a race with combat abilities into an official expansion.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:55 pm

The template balance is simple: You switch out one of the original pony abilities for the Kirin trait. Even trade, right?

Although I see your point with combat abilities. Hmm. Any ideas what to give pegakirins? It should be useful with either flight or weather crafting.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Masterweaver wrote:The template balance is simple: You switch out one of the original pony abilities for the Kirin trait. Even trade, right?

Well, not all traits are created equal. The kirin traits can easily overpower some of them. For example, flight is more useful than weather crafting and finishing school is more useful than ponykinesis. And I mean, just look at the unicorn kirin - you can trade out finishing school (which gives +1 utility talent) for the option to have +2 utility talents. Unless I'm missing something.

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:53 pm

True, true. Maybe all Kirin should have a flaw to balance out the powers.

Oh I know! Kirin start out the day with 0 magic points.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:24 pm

Masterweaver wrote:True, true. Maybe all Kirin should have a flaw to balance out the powers.

Oh I know! Kirin start out the day with 0 magic points.

That WOULD be a massive flaw. It could work. But that means they could never activate their element of harmony.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Or they could only activate it after achiving something awesome.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Masterweaver wrote:Or they could only activate it after achiving something awesome.

Very hard to balance for 'something awesome'. Probably would spark arguments too.

Kirin are a cool idea, but they probably need to be reworked.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Hmm... I haven't had enough playtime in the PT system, but I kind of like the possibility of starting the day with 0 magic points to balance certain races out. Sounds like the magic points can really come in handy though? And how hard is it to get more magic points, in practice?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:23 pm

XandZero2 wrote:Hmm... I haven't had enough playtime in the PT system, but I kind of like the possibility of starting the day with 0 magic points to balance certain races out. Sounds like the magic points can really come in handy though? And how hard is it to get more magic points, in practice?

Magic Points are insanely useful, and you can only get them by starting the day with one... Or very difficult things, like the Instant-Party rolls or with severe drawbacks, like the Derp talent. You could definitely start races without them, but then they have no way to activate their Element.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down