Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP [OOC]

+15
Stairc -Dan Felder
Drago765
Sefton
Mind Gamer
Clockeye
tygerburningbright
Fury of the Tempest
Xel Unknown
Doc pseudopolis
Zarhon
sunbeam
ValorlordV5
Paper Shadow
Ramsus
ZamuelNow
19 posters

Page 1 of 41 1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 41  Next

Go down

Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP [OOC] Empty Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP [OOC]

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:47 pm

*static crackle*

Good evening fillies and gentlecolts!  It's Saturday night and you know what time it is?  It's time for Equestrian Radio's Adventure Variety Hour.  Who knows what kind of rollicking excitement will be coming your way, ranging from exotic jungle tales to the far off reaches of outer space.  Stay tuned folks.  It's sure to be an exciting night!

Explorers of STOMP - Casting list:

Last edited by ZamuelNow on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:11 pm; edited 12 times in total
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP [OOC] Empty Re: Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP [OOC]

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:47 pm

So, I decided to run some campaigns.  Plural.  This is running off of the concept of a series of mini series where each of the arcs will be small and self contained but hopefully build to more.  I think encapsulating these in the form of episodes from a radio show works well for this.  There will be multiple different arcs with the first being a jungle adventure and I'm planning one in outer space and one mystery thriller type arc.  I know I have my own GMing quirks so I'll try to note them upfront for people to try to decide if they're interested or not.

There's something of a subtle test bed vibe with this.  While many things will be standard rules (canon races, no unofficial expansions...yet), I'll be starting things out at Level 3 so that Boons, and eventually Destinies, may be tried out when other campaigns might not reach those levels.  I believe players should be made awesome but I also feel that it is best done so through challenge.  I'm not a Killer GM but death is possible in the campaign.  I sorta believe that posts should be done within three days so that no one player holds everyone else up but I understand work/school/ninjas can hold things up.

As a radio show, the Narrator will be a character of sorts.  The party gains the Unreliable Narrator boon as a freebie.  Each arc will count as a session for X/Session talents.  I do give end of arc bonuses for good RP and decent proofreading so create awesome characters.  I also give out bonus xp for unsolicited art of stuff in the arc.

Here's how I'm handling skills.  While not all skills are equally important, I feel they all have a time and place so I'll be putting you to the test with them.
Campaign Skill Descriptions:

Team checks:
Assists:

Talent Ban List:

Battle:
Will you mess with my build?:

Recruiting for the first campaign until 11:59 PM 08/11/2013
Adventure 1 - Explorers of STOMP - Play by Post
You are part of an adventuring team sent to seek out great discoveries and occasionally thwart evil.  Very Indiana Jones/Daring Do themed with strong hints of 80s action hero added in.  The first arc will actually be a rescue operation.  Out of all of the campaigns, this is the one with the highest "stuff blows up" factor as an overt action emphasis.  I'll be looking at builds but not selecting any until the cutoff so it's not first come, first serve.  Looking for 4 but willing to go up to 6 with cool enough characters.

Explorers of STOMP promo:

Last edited by ZamuelNow on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP [OOC] Empty Re: Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP [OOC]

Post  Ramsus Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Would Spotlight & Zero work for this game? I'll update to the appropriate level if you say yes, otherwise give us another hint at what kind of characters you're looking for.

(I have no artistic skills so the bonus xp for arts & stuffs will suck for me. I'm always willing to help people with their characters though.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:02 pm

Bonus xp applies to all of the group equally. However, up to a point multiple people joining in will help. The art bonus is more of an out of game version of an assist bonus so to speak. So helping people with builds actually does add to the bonus xp. Just leave it to just an "ask once" kind of thing. Give suggestions and reasons why then let then adjust things as needed unless they ask for more help. Some people have more esoteric build concepts.

As far as the build itself..."I was looking for canon racial builds onl...this looks kinda awesome." I'd say lean the flavoring a little more towards the steampunk/ancient tech side of things and they'll be in the list for consideration. I guess this also shows that despite having a wall of rules, I'm surprisingly lenient. May want to have your current build for whenever the duo is used elsewhere and the lvl 3 version. If Spotlight does make the final cut, I may need to think of what happens when she's out of her suit.

I just remembered that I forgot to list disallowed moves. Most things are okay, just not allowing a couple of the more overt 4th wall breaking talents.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Question: When you say "Canon Races Only", are you saying "No Genetic Engineering", "Yes Genetic Engineering", or "Yes Genetic Engineering but you have to make a Canon Race out of it"?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:23 pm

I may need to think of what happens when she's out of her suit
Huh? Zero is the one in the suit and... nothing special happens when she's not wearing it really. She just likes it.

I'm not sure I specified flavor on anything that's incompatible with a steampunk flavor. The rays and stuff are all likely magic based from the energy crystals. Was there something specific that needed changing?

Used elsewhere? How do you mean?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Ramsus wrote:
I may need to think of what happens when she's out of her suit
Huh? Zero is the one in the suit and... nothing special happens when she's not wearing it really. She just likes it.
He most likely asked that because the picture of your characters are ponified versions of characters from Mass Effect, and Zero's picture is a pony version of Tali, who, along with the rest of her species, needs to wear that suit due to a incredibly weak immune system...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:45 pm

I thought the suit did more due to Mechanical and More Than Meets the Eye. Would she still have those out of the suit? If so, no problem.

Paper Shadow wrote:Question: When you say "Canon Races Only", are you saying "No Genetic Engineering", "Yes Genetic Engineering", or "Yes Genetic Engineering but you have to make a Canon Race out of it"?

It was originally No Genetic Engineering but now I'm relenting and just saying Yes Genetic Engineering but you have to make a Canon Race out of it. It was meant to reduce workload on my end but I think I can handle it (famous last words). Oh, and I'll actually allow the two Virtues that are on the Living Legends side of things but not Aspirations of Harmony. One sec while I dig them up...here they are.

LL Virtues:
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 pm

Spotlight (the robot who is the "main" character) is the one with those traits, Zero (who is the "companion") is just a zebra mechanic in a suit.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Ooooooooooohhh... I get it now. I thought the zebra had all of the extra stuff. Interesting setup.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ValorlordV5 Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:32 pm

I'm defiantly interested in this, but I'm super-new so I hope that won't be a problem. If you could look at my character sheet and tell me what I need to do to be eligible I would really appreciate that.
SticksNStones
ValorlordV5
ValorlordV5
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:03 am

While I'm okay with a character with an edge to them, it doesn't feel like Sticks fits the feel of the campaign. It's very much inspired by old school radio serials.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:19 am

I got all excited and built a character, but now I'm wedded to the design concept, but he's not a canon race. Plus, I don't think he fits the flavor much, he's a very old-style fantasy character. I'd like to throw in my lot as thoroughly interested, but I'm going to have to look around and see what I have in my backlog of characters and what I can throw together on a character sheet. So be back soon.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 am

Updated to level 3.

So, how are we handling the Boon selection? Are we looking at just the new document? The old one? Both? Making stuff up?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:08 am

With the exception of the ones I'm banning (Wibbly Wobbly and the new/beta version of Friendship Never Dies), all from both lists are available. However, I'd like for the group to be selected before they make the boon selection. That way, they aren't going into it blind.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  ValorlordV5 Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:36 am

When are you going to start picking characters? I can make a new character to play with (honestly I'm already kind of bored with Sticks), but I might need to take about a week to do so at the latest. I should be able to have one ready by Wednesday though. What about a Flash Gordan pony? That was an old-school radio show, right?
ValorlordV5
ValorlordV5
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:53 am

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XccBIpVPDjkqH2x7teBJP6J2rwmIyYmwxtNCxRsgRT8/edit#

And here is Grease, Baby Dragon Mechanic.

I'll be doing the reflavoring right now, check back at, Oh, 1:30-1:45 EST and he should be fully flavoured.

Also, how high-tech should the mechanics here be? I know a lot of the work is magic, but if we're in the twenties I don't want to be throwing magitech rifles to people or anything.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:03 am

Access Denied Sunbeam.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:31 am

ValorlordV5 wrote:When are you going to start picking characters? I can make a new character to play with (honestly I'm already kind of bored with Sticks), but I might need to take about a week to do so at the latest. I should be able to have one ready by Wednesday though. What about a Flash Gordan pony? That was an old-school radio show, right?

Giving it roughly two weeks so there's plenty of time. Flash Gordon would be awesome but the first arc will be landbound instead of in outer space. You could either do a build like that or wait for the actual space campaign. The interesting thing about Flash Gordon is that at the end of the day he's very much the normal; A sports star who relies on his wits as opposed to tech or super powers. The archetype fits in quite well for this.

sunbeam wrote:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XccBIpVPDjkqH2x7teBJP6J2rwmIyYmwxtNCxRsgRT8/edit#

And here is Grease, Baby Dragon Mechanic.

I'll be doing the reflavoring right now, check back at, Oh, 1:30-1:45 EST and he should be fully flavoured.

Also, how high-tech should the mechanics here be? I know a lot of the work is magic, but if we're in the twenties I don't want to be throwing magitech rifles to people or anything.

Think of Equestria in the show. They have access to some specific high tech stuff but a lot of it is rustic or quirky, tending to have a vaguely steampunk vibe. The bigger issue is that if it's a mostly pony team, how will they even wield a rifle? *arches eyebrow*
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:50 am

The same way they use anything else that involves having digits? By ignoring that they physically shouldn't be able to?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:52 am

Ramsus wrote:Access Denied Sunbeam.
Derp. I feel silly. Okay, access and commenting available at the old link. Everything is flavored.

ZamuelNow wrote:
Think of Equestria in the show. They have access to some specific high tech stuff but a lot of it is rustic or quirky, tending to have a vaguely steampunk vibe. The bigger issue is that if it's a mostly pony team, how will they even wield a rifle? *arches eyebrow*

So most everything I came up with works. It all runs off of my own electricity and some very faulty wiring, but some magic to grease everything should ensure I don't zap others too much.

How would they wield a rifle? By pulling the trigger, I suppose.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:21 am

I'd say err on the side of creativity. There's sure to be a number of things that will be handwaved but I'm sure those fabulous listeners at home would just love to hear what dragon ingenuity will bring them this week!
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:33 am

Ok commentary on Grease's combat. I'm not sure we'll ever want For Great Justice over the other things you can do (I suggest replacing it with Selfless Act).

I think you might want to have Inspiring Words now and save When the Hero Gets Tough for later (or never) as Inspiring Words is gonna be really strong for you with this build and you'll likely have temp HP if you want it (Crescendo can self target) and honestly you don't even need WtHGT in combination with Plague Eater.

Drop the Bracers of Speed, the Dimensional Cape, and Soldier's Armor to instead get Reflex Ring, as I imagine keeping your familiar around is more important than making just yourself a non-target for one round, and Soldier's Vest.

Edit: On second thought, that's a lot of resources into the Spellscape Familiar when you could instead just get the Energizing Amulet for a similar effect without worrying about your pip source dying on you.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:50 am

ZamuelNow wrote:Think of Equestria in the show.  They have access to some specific high tech stuff but a lot of it is rustic or quirky, tending to have a vaguely steampunk vibe.  The bigger issue is that if it's a mostly pony team, how will they even wield a rifle? *arches eyebrow*

Like this:

Just take this artist as a reference. Lots of stuff to pick out from...
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:52 pm

Ramsus wrote:Ok commentary on Grease's combat. I'm not sure we'll ever want For Great Justice over the other things you can do (I suggest replacing it with Selfless Act).

I think you might want to have Inspiring Words now and save When the Hero Gets Tough for later (or never) as Inspiring Words is gonna be really strong for you with this build and you'll likely have temp HP if you want it (Crescendo can self target) and honestly you don't even need WtHGT in combination with Plague Eater.

Drop the Bracers of Speed, the Dimensional Cape, and Soldier's Armor to instead get Reflex Ring, as I imagine keeping your familiar around is more important than making just yourself a non-target for one round, and Soldier's Vest.

Edit: On second thought, that's a lot of resources into the Spellscape Familiar when you could instead just get the Energizing Amulet for a similar effect without worrying about your pip source dying on you.

Why can't we have both? I reworked the build, and did most, if not all of what you suggested (Selfless Act was an excellent idea, thank you for that). I'm now going to try to pull off a Crescendo before anyone else can even move, so everyone (including my spellscape familiar) will have temporary HP going into the fight, and then I can gain back pips with the familiar and the recovery item/traits. After that, I'll be gaining two pips or so every turn (more after another trait), and I can use those to fuel my [-2] talents to buff everyone to high heaven. if I run low on pips, I can hedge my costs with Valor or Inspire Courage, and if I produce too many pips for the Recovery item/trait, I'll just use crescendo again, and start the cycle over.

I don't think anybody's ever actually critiqued a build of mine before. Admittedly, I normally tinker with them much more before using them, but still, this is nice. Thanks.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 41 1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 41  Next