The Destiny Upgrade

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Hayatecooper on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:32 am

I used the Dragon Disciple Destiny with one of my characters, loved it to pieces. being able to just ring up my dragon mentor(Who was apparently an old friend from college.. or something it was weird) and just RP with him was cool. Whenever i failed checks, it would be because he was busy so I couldn't call in Razz
avatar
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 549
Join date : 2012-08-03
Age : 25
Location : Brisbane Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:34 am

Yeah, I love Dragon Disciple too. Definitely want to get a version of it back in the system. The flavor is just great.

_________________
Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
avatar
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Gender : Male
Posts : 3098
Join date : 2012-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Zarhon on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:11 am

Kindulas wrote:Inventor
Level 4 - It’s Bigger On The Inside
You invent a small container about six inches in diameter. You may store up to two thousand cubic feet of objects in this container. You can withdraw an object from this object as easily as if it was in your pocket. In addition, you gain the Create Crazy Contraption utility talent.

Level 7 - Gadget
Your whizbang genius intellect allows you to create one of the following items.


  • Fantastic Flying Contraptamatron - Item
    The user can fly with good maneuverability (the user takes no penalty to precision and brawn skills while flying)

  • Ludicrous Language Translatatron - Item
    While using this item - the user can speak, read, write and understand any language he or she either reads or hears. The user can also communicate with animals and other creatures that don’t speak languages as easily as they verbally communicate with other creatures. In addition, once per day when the user makes a persuasion check and rolls a natural 1, they can reroll it.

  • Superb Spatial Translocatifimier - Item
    Once per day,  you may spend ten minutes to use this item to transport up to six willing creatures (of large size or smaller) that are touching this item to any location that the activating creature has been to before. However, magical barriers in either the destination or place of departure can prevent the transportation.

  • Terrific Transforming Thingamajigicator - Item
    You may spend a magic point to transform this item into anything you could make with the Create Crazy Contraption utility talent. After 1 hour, it turns back into a small orb.


[*]

Level 10 - Industrial Revolution
Your mastery of engineering and brilliant mind allows you to use Create Crazy Contraption three times a day without spending a Magic Point.
In addition, you invent something that could, given time, permanently advance society. For example, creating the Telegraph - allowing for widespread use of Magical Messenger - or improved medical equipment (granting a +5 to heal checks for those using your equipment). As the creator, you've made sure that you've built in some "back doors", you may take control of your equipment or force it to stop or start working as long as you have access to it.
Hmm, looking at these from a technical/rules perspective, there's a bit of vagueness with them, or things that need clarification:

1) Does the lvl4 container allow you to store objects larger than 4 inches? Cause if the opening of the object doesn't stretch/expand, you can't actually fit anything larger than that size inside (think of it as trying to fit a full-sized dinosaur into a TARDIS - it can't fit through the door!).

2) For the lvl7 inventions, does "user" mean "any creature trying to use it" (meaning anyone can use any of the devices without penalties / needing knowledge of its workings, so you can give a flying machine to an ally if you wish)? Does this include creatures that may be hostile, or creatures you don't wish to use it (a thief could run away with one of your inventions and abuse it!).

3) The lvl7 benefit says you "create" one of the machines: is it treated as being able to make any of the listed machines at will / no preparation time, but only one is actually active at any given time (so if you've got a flying contraption, you can't build the others till you deconstruct that one), OR that you must pick one of the machines when you level up and are restricted to  making only that one?

4) What happens if a machine you made/own is damaged or destroyed - can you rebuild it or repair it? The container, for example, or the lvl10 inventions? Can you destroy/deconstruct one of your machines at will?

5) What does "have access" involve, for the lvl10 machines? Do you have to just see it or be close to it (you control it via remote control or the equivalent of a Sonic Screwdriver), or have to actually touch it (as in, hack the machine or press a hidden button)? It's not much of a backdoor if the objects can be used against you from a range (for instance, a shrink ray you invented, pointed at you).

6) Terrific Transforming Thingamajigicator is essentially a 1-hour-lasting Crazy Contraption, yes? Can it mimic the other devices listed?
avatar
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Gender : Male
Posts : 3531
Join date : 2012-07-19
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  ZamuelNow on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Not so easy a fix because...

-snip-
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED
avatar
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 3303
Join date : 2013-03-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Excellent. We spent so much time revamping all the other destinies. I'm looking forward to seeing your efforts for this final one. We decided to release without a revamp because it was slowing the rest of the destiny release down by so much. =)

_________________
Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
avatar
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Gender : Male
Posts : 3098
Join date : 2012-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Kindulas on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Zarhon wrote:
Kindulas wrote:Inventor
Level 4 - It’s Bigger On The Inside
You invent a small container about six inches in diameter. You may store up to two thousand cubic feet of objects in this container. You can withdraw an object from this object as easily as if it was in your pocket. In addition, you gain the Create Crazy Contraption utility talent.

Level 7 - Gadget
Your whizbang genius intellect allows you to create one of the following items.


  • Fantastic Flying Contraptamatron - Item
    The user can fly with good maneuverability (the user takes no penalty to precision and brawn skills while flying)

  • Ludicrous Language Translatatron - Item
    While using this item - the user can speak, read, write and understand any language he or she either reads or hears. The user can also communicate with animals and other creatures that don’t speak languages as easily as they verbally communicate with other creatures. In addition, once per day when the user makes a persuasion check and rolls a natural 1, they can reroll it.

  • Superb Spatial Translocatifimier - Item
    Once per day,  you may spend ten minutes to use this item to transport up to six willing creatures (of large size or smaller) that are touching this item to any location that the activating creature has been to before. However, magical barriers in either the destination or place of departure can prevent the transportation.

  • Terrific Transforming Thingamajigicator - Item
    You may spend a magic point to transform this item into anything you could make with the Create Crazy Contraption utility talent. After 1 hour, it turns back into a small orb.


[*]

Level 10 - Industrial Revolution
Your mastery of engineering and brilliant mind allows you to use Create Crazy Contraption three times a day without spending a Magic Point.
In addition, you invent something that could, given time, permanently advance society. For example, creating the Telegraph - allowing for widespread use of Magical Messenger - or improved medical equipment (granting a +5 to heal checks for those using your equipment). As the creator, you've made sure that you've built in some "back doors", you may take control of your equipment or force it to stop or start working as long as you have access to it.
[*]Hmm, looking at these from a technical/rules perspective, there's a bit of vagueness with them, or things that need clarification:

1) Does the lvl4 container allow you to store objects larger than 4 inches? Cause if the opening of the object doesn't stretch/expand, you can't actually fit anything larger than that size inside (think of it as trying to fit a full-sized dinosaur into a TARDIS - it can't fit through the door!).

2) For the lvl7 inventions, does "user" mean "any creature trying to use it" (meaning anyone can use any of the devices without penalties / needing knowledge of its workings, so you can give a flying machine to an ally if you wish)? Does this include creatures that may be hostile, or creatures you don't wish to use it (a thief could run away with one of your inventions and abuse it!).

3) The lvl7 benefit says you "create" one of the machines: is it treated as being able to make any of the listed machines at will / no preparation time, but only one is actually active at any given time (so if you've got a flying contraption, you can't build the others till you deconstruct that one), OR that you must pick one of the machines when you level up and are restricted to  making only that one?

4) What happens if a machine you made/own is damaged or destroyed - can you rebuild it or repair it? The container, for example, or the lvl10 inventions? Can you destroy/deconstruct one of your machines at will?

5) What does "have access" involve, for the lvl10 machines? Do you have to just see it or be close to it (you control it via remote control or the equivalent of a Sonic Screwdriver), or have to actually touch it (as in, hack the machine or press a hidden button)? It's not much of a backdoor if the objects can be used against you from a range (for instance, a shrink ray you invented, pointed at you).

6) Terrific Transforming Thingamajigicator is essentially a 1-hour-lasting Crazy Contraption, yes? Can it mimic the other devices listed?
1) It should be given the ability to expand larger
2) We should have it be usable by anyone with your permission, and they should get a permanent rune-of-return ability
3) You only get one copy, no letting the whole group fly perfectly off one feature
4) Adding a clause for extended-rest-repair
5) Adding a clarification
6) Ones that aren't at all magical. Assuming some levels of magi-tech, the teleporter and translator wouldn't be mimicable - but really it comes down to the same DM discretion as Create Crazy
avatar
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Posts : 636
Join date : 2012-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  ZamuelNow on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Kindulas wrote:Explorer's level 3 has, as you've noticed, been taken by the Adventurer. The Explorer will not be present in theme, though I do hope to revive its existence in the future.
You mean the level 10 right? Not nitpicking, just making sure since I'm thinking of making an attempt with updating it too.
avatar
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 3303
Join date : 2013-03-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Kindulas on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:59 pm

ZamuelNow wrote:
Kindulas wrote:Explorer's level 3 has, as you've noticed, been taken by the Adventurer. The Explorer will not be present in theme, though I do hope to revive its existence in the future.
You mean the level 10 right?  Not nitpicking, just making sure since I'm thinking of making an attempt with updating it too.
ah yes, level 10 - the 3rd feature is what I was thinking.
avatar
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Posts : 636
Join date : 2012-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Going Live

Post  Kindulas on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:03 pm

avatar
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Posts : 636
Join date : 2012-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Paper Shadow on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:30 pm

Would it be possible for you guys to post a complete change log? It's kinda hard to make comparisons when you have to remember the old destinies...

_________________
Ellipses are kinda my thing...

Based Emotion Chart:
avatar
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Posts : 3740
Join date : 2012-11-23
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Philadelphus on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm

Caught one error so far – the Evolution destiny doesn't explain the concept of morphing. It off-handedly mentions it in the level 10 section, but provides no indication what it is. I thought at first it had been completely removed, but I suspect it simply didn't make the transfer between documents. Smile

Edit: Also, the new level 4 options are supposed to be worth 3 Utility Talents, correct? Because Seer's level 4 (still) only gives you Arcane Eye and True Sight. Or is that intentional?


Last edited by Philadelphus on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Links to all the official sourcebooks in one place.
Optional Talent Specialization for your characters.
avatar
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Gender : Male
Posts : 734
Join date : 2012-07-18
Age : 29
Location : Hilo, Hawai‘i

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Kindulas on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:38 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:Would it be possible for you guys to post a complete change log? It's kinda hard to make comparisons when you have to remember the old destinies...
What I can get you quickly is a link to the old version
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_vvJQi705iMePxveGxr3cQ09xB4VeA6Dv8W02JgUJM8/edit
avatar
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Posts : 636
Join date : 2012-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Hmmm... I really like the Evolution Changes, gives them much more flexibility, and the Self-Dicovery is good, giving you a good, strong buff to the level 7, even if level 7 buffs mean that technically, you had to nerf the Self-Dicovery level 10.


Last edited by Fury of the Tempest on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 4116
Join date : 2012-09-22
Age : 24
Location : ENGLAND!!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Kindulas on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:44 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Hmmm... I really like the Evolution Changes, gives them much more flexibility, and the Self-Dicovery is good, giving you a good, strong buff to the level 7, even if level 7 buffs mean that technically, you had to nerf the Self-Dicovery level 10
*technically* nerfed yes, but it's actually more powerful since

3 old level 7s = 6 talents
2 new 7s and a 4 = 8 talents

Glad you like those changes!
avatar
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Posts : 636
Join date : 2012-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:50 pm

I do want to double-check something here, but if I get the Level 7 Destiny Feature of Spelljacker due to Self-Discovery, I get the ability to use the talents it give me, without using a magic point, but not actually the talents themselves with the magic point useage, do I?

Permissions needed, Razz


Kindulas wrote:*technically* nerfed yes, but it's actually more powerful since

3 old level 7s = 6 talents
2 new 7s and a 4 = 8 talents

Glad you like those changes!

That is true, so I can't wait to get to level 4 and use it even more!


Philadelphus wrote:Caught one error so far – the Evolution destiny doesn't explain the concept of morphing. It off-handedly mentions it in the level 10 section, but provides no indication what it is. I thought at first it had been completely removed, but I suspect it simply didn't make the transfer between documents. Smile

Yes, quite a mistake that.
avatar
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 4116
Join date : 2012-09-22
Age : 24
Location : ENGLAND!!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Kindulas on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:12 am

Actually we removed the morphing properties, as changing an entire race setup (especially an evolved) in the middle of a session wasn't something we wanted to throw at people. That line has been removed
avatar
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Posts : 636
Join date : 2012-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  ZamuelNow on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:36 am

First draft for now.  Still contemplating adjusting the Level 10 some more though I tried to avoid straight numerical bonuses.  Adjusted some things according to suggestions made across the forum.

Explorer - Revamp Proposal:
Explorer
Your travels have given you a wealth of knowledge regarding the natural world and how to determine your surroundings.
Level 4 - Horizon Walker
They say that if you ride hard and fast enough to the West, the sun will never set for you. At any time, you may spend ten minutes to learn all the major geographic features within a mile of you; such as water-sources, possible good places for shelter, edible fruits and vegetables and any structure bigger than a hut. You've also learned to find shelter in even the most hostile wilderness. Once a day, you may use the following talent:


  • Secret Shelter – 1/Day
    Preparation Time: Ten Minutes
    You find or construct a Secret Shelter for you and up to seven allies to rest in. The shelter is very well hidden, requiring a Perception check with a DC of 40 to spot without your assistance. The shelter can comfortably sleep up to eight medium-sized creatures. Within the shelter is food, drink and reasonably comfortable bedding. The shelter persists for twelve hours before it becomes unusable.


Level 7 - Been Around The Block [Concept by Chase and Videocrazy]
You've been there, seen that, got the t-shirt. You've traveled the wilds of the world, you've got contacts in just about every city and your instincts have been honed to razor-edge. You gain a +10 bonus to Streetwise checks to find individuals or places and a +10 bonus to any skill check made to navigate the wilderness. Finally, the DC to notice your Secret Shelter increases to 60 and you may use it twice a day instead of just once.

Level 10 - The Ends of The Earth
You've climbed the frozen mountains and run in the valleys of sun. You've dared the depths of the jungle and sailed upon the ocean’s tide. You've delved into ancient ruins and run amongst the sun-kissed desert. No matter the danger or hardship, you have learned to triumph over any obstacle set in your way.  The time it takes to survey your surroundings for Horizon Walker is reduced to 30 seconds, you always know which way is magnetic North, and are unable to get lost in locations you've already surveyed with Horizon Walker.  Your travels far and wide allow you to understand any spoken or written language.  Furthermore, you automatically succeed at Endurance checks needed to withstand harsh environmental conditions.
avatar
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 3303
Join date : 2013-03-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Kindulas on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:54 am

ZamuelNow wrote:First draft for now.  Still contemplating adjusting the Level 10 some more though I tried to avoid straight numerical bonuses.  Adjusted some things according to suggestions made across the forum.

Explorer - Revamp Proposal:
Explorer
Your travels have given you a wealth of knowledge regarding the natural world and how to determine your surroundings.
Level 4 - Horizon Walker
They say that if you ride hard and fast enough to the West, the sun will never set for you. At any time, you may spend ten minutes to learn all the major geographic features within a mile of you; such as water-sources, possible good places for shelter, edible fruits and vegetables and any structure bigger than a hut. You've also learned to find shelter in even the most hostile wilderness. Once a day, you may use the following talent:


  • Secret Shelter – 1/Day
    Preparation Time: Ten Minutes
    You find or construct a Secret Shelter for you and up to seven allies to rest in. The shelter is very well hidden, requiring a Perception check with a DC of 40 to spot without your assistance. The shelter can comfortably sleep up to eight medium-sized creatures. Within the shelter is food, drink and reasonably comfortable bedding. The shelter persists for twelve hours before it becomes unusable.


Level 7 - Been Around The Block [Concept by Chase and Videocrazy]
You've been there, seen that, got the t-shirt. You've traveled the wilds of the world, you've got contacts in just about every city and your instincts have been honed to razor-edge. You gain a +10 bonus to Streetwise checks to find individuals or places and a +10 bonus to any skill check made to navigate the wilderness. Finally, the DC to notice your Secret Shelter increases to 60 and you may use it twice a day instead of just once.

Level 10 - The Ends of The Earth
You've climbed the frozen mountains and run in the valleys of sun. You've dared the depths of the jungle and sailed upon the ocean’s tide. You've delved into ancient ruins and run amongst the sun-kissed desert. No matter the danger or hardship, you have learned to triumph over any obstacle set in your way.  The time it takes to survey your surroundings for Horizon Walker is reduced to 30 seconds, you always know which way is magnetic North, and are unable to get lost in locations you've already surveyed with Horizon Walker.  Your travels far and wide allow you to understand any spoken or written language.  Furthermore, you automatically succeed at Endurance checks needed to withstand harsh environmental conditions.
Well, I guess the streetwise thing is somewhat useful now, but all the abilities still seem very very situational, and the level 10 feels... I mean I wouldn't be excited if that was a level 7 feature.

I was thinking of rebuilding the thing from the ground up, just with similar thematics. Here are my rough notes on what I was kinda thinking:

Level 4 - World Wise
You’ve been around the block on a world stage. In your time exploring distant lands you’ve figured out how to discover the location of just about anything. You gain a +5 bonus to checks involving navigation, such as finding a safe route through a forest. Furthermore, you gain the following utility talent
Sense of Geography - 6/Day
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Name a location. It can be as vague as “the nearest settlement” or “the nearest cave,” or as specific as “the town of Placeton.” You discovery the straight-line distance and direction to that location.

Level 7 -
Bonus to +10, SoG At Will, then something cool

Level 10 - Master of Space
You have mastered space so well that it’s very fabric is yours to manipulate. You gain the following utility talent.
Ideas:
1) 1/Day or Magic Create a portal next to you to somewhere a certain direction and distance from you. Very powerful in conjuction with the level 4 feature.
2) X/day:, quickly create a portal to anywhere you’ve ever been.
-----


It was going with explorer as a sort of traverser and mapper, a master of going and knowing. However I suppose I'm not sure what people actually like about Explorer except the old level 10. What do people want from an explorer destiny?
avatar
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Posts : 636
Join date : 2012-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Philadelphus on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:07 am

Kindulas wrote:Actually we removed the morphing properties, as changing an entire race setup (especially an evolved)  in the middle of a session wasn't something we wanted to throw at people. That line has been removed
Oh! Ok. My bad then. Smile 
The new version is certainly neat enough even without it.

_________________
Links to all the official sourcebooks in one place.
Optional Talent Specialization for your characters.
avatar
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Gender : Male
Posts : 734
Join date : 2012-07-18
Age : 29
Location : Hilo, Hawai‘i

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:17 am

Agreed. The morphing mechanic was a little strange anyway.
avatar
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 4116
Join date : 2012-09-22
Age : 24
Location : ENGLAND!!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:49 am

Okay, so full review! [WIP]

Archmage:
The Spellbook change is interesting. As it limits you to only having 4 utility talents, but instead of sapping out once per session, twice per day you can gain one of those talents for five minutes, so basically, its a limited, 2/day Magic Makes It All Complete, which works.

One of the big problems with the previous Arcane Secrets as mentioned is that it was seriously overpowered, allowing one to use Arcana - which already has problems due to Magecraft - for extremely important skills like Persuasion and Perception, even if it was only 3/day, that's extremely powerful. This new Arcane Secrets work extremely well, as its keep the magic theme strongly, and a second, more flexible Spellchild works like a charm.

Master of Magic is just a straight buff to the previous version. Previously, it was just Arcana Secrets, twice per day. This is Arcana Secrets, 3 times a day as well as doubling the power of Spellbook, so its certainly has that level 10 feel.

Inventor:
It’s Bigger On The Inside Has had a nice change. 2000 cubic feet still, but limiting what can go into it by how far the opening can stretch, which makes perfect sense to me. Gaining the Inventor talent, Create Crazy Contraption is a nice little boost as well.

Gadget gets buffs & nerfs. The flying device giving another level of flying ability, the language also allowing animal talk & a persuasion re-roll at 1. The Translocatifimicater have been nerfed through, as it can now only be used once per day, which is a real shame. Don't think I'll ever pick when I can give my friends flight. Then the Thingamajigicator is pretty pathetic through. I already have Create Crazy Contraption, why would I want this as well?

And then, Industrial Revolution. No changes, which is fair enough. Its was already amazing.

Miracle Worker:
Healing Hands has no changes, but it was very strong in the first place.

Resurrection is of course now Miraculous Healing, with the True Mending talent as well, so obvious buff there.

Immortalis still gives you immortality, and gives True Resurrection, which is simply amazing. Oh the fun someone can have with that talent...

Master Detective:
Still starts with a Batman reference. But a significant change, instead of a Foresenic Lab which you might be taken away from, you instead are able to ask the DM a yes/no question, twice per session, which is much stronger and more flexible.

Elementary, My Dear Watson now buffs the level 4 feature, as well as giving you Eliminating the Impossible, as well as making it relevant to the campaign, so no personal questions, Razz

Lie To Me has no changes at all, but its still pretty powerful. I mean, no only do you know if someone is lying automaticly, but if you split the party, you character always knows what the others are doing. Which is awesome.

Very Best Friend:
The level 4 is now Everyone’s Favorite Person, meaning you can have Instant Friends, which still have a 50/50 chance, and Watch Out For Your Friends which... really, seems like the much more useful and powerful option. I know which one I would take.

Best Friends Forever of course is dependent on your first choice. I do like how Master Friendmaker gives you instant party as well, ut I still prefer the other option, The Power of Friendship.

As for Smile, Smile, Smile, I'm not sure if its a buff or nerf. I mean, allowing your allies to regain all the X/ Talents is very powerful for a talent, but re-rolling every single 1 with a +5 bonus is rather significant as well. Even if you have boons of the same effect.

Archlich:
This one was always an odd one...  Necromancer is nice. Still get the Freaky Knowledge, but also more options. The spirit calling option is buffed. The new option, Artisan of Flesh is pretty nice, the time limit ensuring you don't create a zombie army.

Ancient Knowledge 100ft sensing radius is pretty neat, not sure how useful it'll be unless your facing undead ofc. The 2 Conjurations are pretty damn neat as well, and I know I would take one of the two for certain.

Lichdomn is pretty much the same, but I don't think its as powerful as Miracle Worker's Level 10. That grants you immortality and true resurrection. This gives you a pseudo-immortality, and a level 7 feature, which through powerful, doesn't have the same power as True resurrection.

Shape Shifter:
No changes to Beast Within’, In Tune with your Inner Beast now also have Form of the Cheetah, which looks pretty damn awesome, and One Soul, Many Forms has no changes whatsoever.

Honestly, the Shape-Shifiting Utility/Destiny chain looks very interesting, but I've never seen anyone pick them up. The 1/day limitation just kills it for me.

Spelljacker:
Honesty, the only change is in Master Hacker, its small, but powerful. Instead of having 1-4 magic points after an extended rest, you now have 2-5, which is pretty damn awesome. Otherwise, no changes to speak off, through I guess it was already pretty damn powerful anyhow.

Planeshaper:
No changes to One with the Planes, but having World Forger combine weaken and strengthen substance with Fabricate for Shape Reality is a nice upgrade, as is Element Master.

Master of Reality letting you use Element Master At-will is a big boost.

Small changes, but enough to give it a nice solid boost and still keeping the feel of it.

The Unseen:
No changes to The Unknown, but it didn't need it any, as it was an excellent talent already

Cover of Night is a powerful buff to The Unheard. Allowing you to make the entire group into Ninja's for 10 minutes, as well as making as making your natural failures into a natural 20.

The Unseen Doesn't have any changes, but 5/day natural 20's? That's more than enough for a level 10.

Evolution:
The loss of morph might annoy some, but to me, it makes the most sense. The ability to change your racial abilities was extremely odd in the first place, you don't see any living being or even X-men doing that. Using 2 utility talents, you can gain a max of 3 racial's, so Rapid Mutation makes perfect sense to me.

A Step in Evolution's buff is significant and brilliant. The Fittest for example, is twice the power of the previous, as its Best of the Breed, a 3 point racial, taken twice. Morphling is nice, using a magic point to temporary gain 4 racails is pretty cool and very flexible. Benevolent Genetics is an odd one, but can be very useful and powerful. Giving your entire team fireborn or the like can be very, very useful.

The Perfect Being of course, never needed any buffs or nerfs, so its fits extremely well. Its 4 times the power of the level 4 ability, which makes sense at the level 4 is worth 2 utility talents, while the level 10 is worth 8.
avatar
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 4116
Join date : 2012-09-22
Age : 24
Location : ENGLAND!!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  ZamuelNow on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Kindulas wrote:Well, I guess the streetwise thing is somewhat useful now, but all the abilities still seem very very situational, and the level 10 feels... I mean I wouldn't be excited if that was a level 7 feature.
I think a lot of that comes down to my style of balancing.  I tend to err on the weaker side and slowly buff up though sometimes it's not enough.

2) X/day:, quickly create a portal to anywhere you've ever been.
I was brainstorming something similar to this as an addition to the level 10, I was just worried about making it seem too much like teleportation as opposed to being a super Indiana Jones.  Also had ideas of ignoring traps and entering anywhere regardless of if it's locked/warded/etc.

It was going with explorer as a sort of traverser and mapper, a master of going and knowing. However I suppose I'm not sure what people actually like about Explorer except the old level 10. What do people want from an explorer destiny?
Guess this is the question to ask.
avatar
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 3303
Join date : 2013-03-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Demonu on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Okay, could someone please explain to me the thought process behind the new Master Detective destiny?

I really liked the old level 4 feature, as it allowed you to get more involved/invested in your campaign's world and its characters. That was my original pitch/idea for the destiny way back in the day: to accumulate information (of any kind) and then use that information to further your (party's) goals.

The way I read it now it:
- level 4: get 2 uses of Twitchy Tail
- Level 7: get 1 use of an alternative Twitchy Tail and 1 extra of Twitchy Tail

Level 10 is still the same so that's cool but when compared to some other destinies, it seems rather lackluster. I mean, great detectives like Sherlock Holmes and Batman and others use their intellect to solve puzzles, not just wait for god to provide them with an answer to an (at first glance) narrow question.
--------------------------------

Regarding the new Shape Shifter destiny: why do all Forms of the have a prep time of 5 seconds but Cheetah is instantaneous? I get that the form itself is supposed to be faster than the others but it just seems odd.
--------------------------------

So Plane Shaper (still) doesn't allow only you to walk to your own back and forth at will/with prep time?
I can get why that might be a problem but an official explination would be enlightening.


Last edited by Demonu on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 699
Join date : 2012-07-18
Age : 27
Location : Belgium

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:38 pm

That's what its meant to be. Using Twitchy Tail is mean to be a Representative of that intelligence, as the normal player isn't a geniuses.
avatar
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Gender : Male
Posts : 4116
Join date : 2012-09-22
Age : 24
Location : ENGLAND!!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Demonu on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:That's what its meant to be. Using Twitchy Tail is mean to be a Representative of that intelligence, as the normal player isn't a geniuses.
I play a character with the Master Detective destiny. I get a lot more mileage out of searching up information than I would get out of 2 yes/no questions at level 4.

I'd rather hear it from (one of) the developers if you don't mind.
avatar
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Gender : Male
Posts : 699
Join date : 2012-07-18
Age : 27
Location : Belgium

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Destiny Upgrade

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum