Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Unhooved Races - Minus Dragons...

4 posters

Go down

The Unhooved Races - Minus Dragons... Empty The Unhooved Races - Minus Dragons...

Post  XandZero2 Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:03 am

So, I know Masterweaver is taking care of all the hooved races, but what about the unhooved races? I've got a separate thread specifically devoted to Dragons, so here's the thread for other concepts - like Diamond Dogs (hey, they are sentient, and if we have Changelings already...)

So yeah, here are a few quick ideas, to be further expounded upon in the future:

Diamond Dogs -

Dig Dug
Diamond Dogs are the kings of dirt and digging, able to dig a sizable hole in under 10 seconds flat (and cover it back up in roughly the same time too). Because of this, D Dogs get a +10 bonus to any checks involving digging or burying things.

Pretty Pretty, Shiny Shiny
Diamond Dogs have a natural eye for the shiny. They get a +10? bonus to determining the true value of any shiny object, from tin can to 24 carrot diamond.

Heightened Smell (Warrior of Many Faces' idea)
Diamond Dogs are capable of discerning much about their surroundings through a keen sense of smell. +5 to Perception checks if they can smell a given object clearly.

*Potential Racial Debuff -

Stop the Whining!
D Dogs have overly sensitive ears, and therefore can't bare high-pitched sounds (like whining). If they hear an extremely loud noise, they suffer a -2 penalty to all checks until they can be healed or they take a 10 minute rest.

Sea Ponies

Sea Legs
Sea Ponies are more comfortable in the sea than on land, and to reflect this they get a bonus to all swimming-related checks they make. (I don't think there are officially any swimming rules for PT yet, but I was thinking that if normal characters have a -10 or +0 check to swimming, and Sea Ponies could get one step above that, like +0 or +10. They could also get utility feats similar to Pegasi flight feats, the swimming bonus going up by an extra +5 for every level of the feat).

No Legs
Sea Ponies don't have legs, but fins and flippers. This makes it tricky (but not impossible) for them to make a living on the surface of Equestria. Some Sea Ponies get around this issue by having walking suits (check out Moon Stuck) but some are also able to enchant themselves to float, etc. There are a number of ways to incorporate Sea Ponies in a land setting, but players are recommended to agree upon a viable option with their GMs before introducing them in a campaign.

-Tell me what you guys think so far, and feel free to add other ideas to this list.

*Last updated 8/3/12

Last edited by XandZero2 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

The Unhooved Races - Minus Dragons... Empty Re: The Unhooved Races - Minus Dragons...

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:42 pm

I like what you have so far of the Diamond Dogs! Looks pretty good to me as-is, especially with the "Stop the Whining!" That one made me grin. Very Happy Sea Ponies I could take or leave, though. They don't really draw me at all.

A suggestion for Diamond Dog:

Heightened Smell
Diamond Dogs are capable of discerning much about their surroundings through a keen sense of smell. +5 to Perception checks if they can smell a given object clearly.

You could then give them a utility talent that increases their sense of smell to the point that they can track something or somepony.

Last edited by The Warrior of Many Faces on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Warrior of Many Faces
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

The Unhooved Races - Minus Dragons... Empty Re: The Unhooved Races - Minus Dragons...

Post  XandZero2 Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:57 pm

^SOMEONE RESPONDED TO MY IDEAS!

But seriously Warrior, I like the sound of a utility talent that can actually track things down. That's a really cool idea. Glad to hear you like the Diamond Dog ideas so far too. Maybe if we added the scent ability, the race would be complete?

As for the Sea Ponies, I don't know. They seem to be pretty well known in Brony culture, so I think they should eventually be put into Pony Tales in one interpretation or another.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:04 pm

XandZero2 wrote:^SOMEONE RESPONDED TO MY IDEAS!

But seriously Warrior, I like the sound of a utility talent that can actually track things down. That's a really cool idea. Glad to hear you like the Diamond Dog ideas so far too. Maybe if we added the scent ability, the race would be complete?

As for the Sea Ponies, I don't know. They seem to be pretty well known in Brony culture, so I think they should eventually be put into Pony Tales in one interpretation or another.

Sorry it took so long to find and reply. Scout Camp kinda threw me for a loop. XP

I had been thinking about Diamond Dogs a little bit myself, so seeing somepony having put some thought into it as well was heartening. Smile Glad to know my scent ability looks good, although I'm trying to think how I might add penalties if there are stenches in the area.

And yes, the Sea Ponies are gonna end up in there eventually, as will the Flutterponies, I imagine, but I personally don't care much about them one way or the other. The Sea Pony ideas you have are sound, but they're not radiating interest much to me. That's probably just me, though, never having much cared about previous gens. Hopefully we'll be able to get some other people on this soon that actually knew something about those gens.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:56 pm

^Amen to that, Brony (;

And maybe the ability wouldn't kick in if there were other scents in the area to confound the D Dog's nose? I don't think they should get a penalty for smelling bad stuff. If you remember, the D Dogs themselves didn't seem to mind their own horrible reek - that was, until Rarity drew attention to it.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:11 pm

XandZero2 wrote:^Amen to that, Brony (;

And maybe the ability wouldn't kick in if there were other scents in the area to confound the D Dog's nose? I don't think they should get a penalty for smelling bad stuff. If you remember, the D Dogs themselves didn't seem to mind their own horrible reek - that was, until Rarity drew attention to it.

You have a point about the bad smells. As for other scents obscuring it, I'll edit my post to specify that they have to be able to smell it clearly for it to work. I think that'd cover it. If I'm wrong, let me know.
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:35 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:

You have a point about the bad smells. As for other scents obscuring it, I'll edit my post to specify that they have to be able to smell it clearly for it to work. I think that'd cover it. If I'm wrong, let me know.

As for smells, it would be up to the Pony Handler's discretion to add bonuses and penalties dependent on the circumstance. Such as:

It's lighly raining (-2)
Heavy Rain (-5)
It's Windy (-2)
It's been over an hour (-2 and -2 for every consecutive hour)
The creature you are tracking hasn't bathed in over a day (+2)
You are familiar with the target's scent (+2)
The object you are tracking is a bottle of strong perfume (+5)

They'd deal with it sort of like that. It's up to the pony handler.
Edit: What I mean to say with this is that their strong scent would always be in effect (+5 bonus to perception checks made to track any target by scent). It's just that a bunch obscuring conditions will add penalties until it's out of the range of possibility.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:04 am

SilentBelle wrote:

As for smells, it would be up to the Pony Handler's discretion to add bonuses and penalties dependent on the circumstance. Such as:

It's lighly raining (-2)
Heavy Rain (-5)
It's Windy (-2)

Edit: What I mean to say with this is that their strong scent would always be in effect (+5 bonus to perception checks made to track any target by scent). It's just that a bunch obscuring conditions will add penalties until it's out of the range of possibility.

^I like these ideas for modifiers. Looks good.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:14 am

XandZero2 wrote:
Sea Legs
Sea Ponies are more comfortable in the sea than on land, and to reflect this they get a bonus to all swimming-related checks they make. (I don't think there are officially any swimming rules for PT yet, but I was thinking that if normal characters have a -10 or +0 check to swimming, and Sea Ponies could get one step above that, like +0 or +10. They could also get utility feats similar to Pegasi flight feats, the swimming bonus going up by an extra +10 for every level of the feat).

Each step is ±5, not ±10. To go up 10 points per feat is really strong.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 am

SilentBelle wrote:

It's lighly raining (-2)
Heavy Rain (-5)
It's Windy (-2)

Looks good to me! Should I edit the post to say this, though, or do I just let people assume the Faust handles any penalties?
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:47 am

Looks good to me! Should I edit the post to say this, though, or do I just let people assume the Faust handles any penalties?

You can assume that the Pony Handler/ Faust can take care of it. If anything, I expect there to be a blurb about conditional modifiers in the Pony Handler's Guide eventually, if there aren't some already.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 am

SilentBelle wrote:

You can assume that the Pony Handler/ Faust can take care of it. If anything, I expect there to be a blurb about conditional modifiers in the Pony Handler's Guide eventually, if there aren't some already.

Okie-dokie-lokie! :pinkiehappy:
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Videocrazy wrote:
XandZero2 wrote:
Sea Legs
Sea Ponies are more comfortable in the sea than on land, and to reflect this they get a bonus to all swimming-related checks they make. (I don't think there are officially any swimming rules for PT yet, but I was thinking that if normal characters have a -10 or +0 check to swimming, and Sea Ponies could get one step above that, like +0 or +10. They could also get utility feats similar to Pegasi flight feats, the swimming bonus going up by an extra +10 for every level of the feat).

Each step is ±5, not ±10. To go up 10 points per feat is really strong.

Good call. My mistake. I hadn't checked the increases when I'd first posted the ability.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down