Build Challenge Concepts

Go down

Build Challenge Concepts

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:17 pm

In addition to regular build challenges like the current Gambler's Armor one - I think it might be fun to run regular stress tests for the system via continuous challenges in major categories.

For example, we could run a "DPR King" contest - where players create builds at various levels that maximize Damage-Per-Round over 5 rounds (total up the damage it deals unassisted over 5 rounds then divide by 5 for the DPR). A "Nuke King" for damage in 1 round, an "Immortal King" for builds that can take the most amount of damage etc.

The threads would constantly be open for build submissions, and those that top the lists get bragging rights and perhaps the honor of officially breaking a gameplay element. If you manage to break a gameplay element so thoroughly that it gets fixed in errata - I could see tossing a special title or approved line for the signature as a reward.

Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Build Challenge Concepts

Post  Mind Gamer on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Do we have level limitations, or any other restrictions?
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27 pm

There would be a king of any given challenge for each level. I'll start the DPR King challenge now.

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:42 pm

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mind Gamer on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Mmm. Well, I've completed the combat side of a Level 10 would-be Immortal King... I call him The Invincible Iron Pony. And yeah, he's invincible in a one-on-one fight while more than equipped to handle several at once. But I'll wait to submit him.
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:22 pm

What about a non-combat focused one? Because I'm pretty sure High Roller would win me an award for something. Something terrible.
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Non-combat ones are more difficult to quantify - and thus objectively rank - but I'd like to see that developed too. I've always loved the Hall of Heroes of 4th Edition Character Op - and I'd like to have something similar for us.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mind Gamer on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Now that looks like a leaderboard. Oooooh, the competitive spirit burns within me.

Around how long will we have each challenge up before leaders are chosen, and a new challenge is created? (Waiting on the Immortal King challenge, myself)
Mind Gamer
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Hm, perhaps there could be variations in the challenges?

Right now, there's DPR kings, but what about the other spectrum?

For instance

Tank challenge: You and 5 allies, against either equal amount of enemies that deal a set amount of damage to each ally in turn, or a single enemy that uses AOE attacks, damage of both increasing with level, or set as a challenge limit. Your job is to prevent damage to the allies by any means required for a number of rounds, without getting KO'd yourself. The build with the least damage inflicted to self/allies over those 5 rounds wins (0 damage ties are resolved by who used up less pips).

Healer Challenge: A healing version of the DPR challenge, seeing how much healing you can provide to a single/multiple allies within 5 rounds. Comes with an enemy to target, for the offensive healing abilities. Temporary hit points also count for the healing, if given with healing.

Speedster Challenge: Generate AND utilize as many pips as possible within 5 rounds. The build with most pips spent in 5 rounds wins.

Supporter Challenge: A combination of healing/temp hp given to allies and damage opportunites provided to allies, or direct benefits/vague effects (+1 for each time they are utilized). Who can make the best warlord/healer mixture.
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:26 pm

Focusing on one at a time it seems.

Saint Trotez: Where Snipe is paranoid and snarked at Snarl.
Satisfying Values (Hiatus): Mic is chasing after a Glitch.

Retired or inactive Games:
Too many to count.
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:21 pm

I think I've got an alpha strike build floating around somewhere. That could do some damage...uh so to speak.

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Zarhon wrote:Hm, perhaps there could be variations in the challenges?

Right now, there's DPR kings, but what about the other spectrum?

For instance

Tank challenge: You and 5 allies, against either equal amount of enemies that deal a set amount of damage to each ally in turn, or a single enemy that uses AOE attacks, damage of both increasing with level, or set as a challenge limit. Your job is to prevent damage to the allies by any means required for a number of rounds, without getting KO'd yourself. The build with the least damage inflicted to self/allies over those 5 rounds wins (0 damage ties are resolved by who used up less pips).

Healer Challenge: A healing version of the DPR challenge, seeing how much healing you can provide to a single/multiple allies within 5 rounds. Comes with an enemy to target, for the offensive healing abilities. Temporary hit points also count for the healing, if given with healing.

Speedster Challenge: Generate AND utilize as many pips as possible within 5 rounds. The build with most pips spent in 5 rounds wins.

Supporter Challenge: A combination of healing/temp hp given to allies and damage opportunites provided to allies, or direct benefits/vague effects (+1 for each time they are utilized). Who can make the best warlord/healer mixture.
I'm totally on board with this. I want a lot more challenges floating around to stress test the system - always available for people to top the leader board with new builds. There won't be any "only this week" challenges - it'd be a continuous thing open.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:In addition to regular build challenges like the current Gambler's Armor one - I think it might be fun to run regular stress tests for the system via continuous challenges in major categories.

For example, we could run a "DPR King" contest - where players create builds at various levels that maximize Damage-Per-Round over 5 rounds (total up the damage it deals unassisted over 5 rounds then divide by 5 for the DPR). A "Nuke King" for damage in 1 round, an "Immortal King" for builds that can take the most amount of damage etc.

The threads would constantly be open for build submissions, and those that top the lists get bragging rights and perhaps the honor of officially breaking a gameplay element. If you manage to break a gameplay element so thoroughly that it gets fixed in errata - I could see tossing a special title or approved line for the signature as a reward.
So Me and Doc pseudopolis get something for the infinite companions thing? I kid, I love the idea though
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum