Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mertropolis Sign up & OOC

+5
Copper Rose
Z2
Paper Shadow
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mertropolis Sign up & OOC Empty Mertropolis Sign up & OOC

Post  Ramsus Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Last month the city of Mertropolis was shaken to it's very core by the deaths of their beloved heroes Aquizard, Coil, Major Hertz, the Mare of Steel, and Zamsha at the claws of the Steelheart who perished soon after along with the disappearance (and rumored death) of Bad Lands.

You were there as it all went down on the top of Mertropolis Tower, thanks to being a part of the group of citizens Steelheart held hostage to lure the heroes to their demise. You saw the six heroes fight the good fight. You saw Steelheart's nefarious contraption drain them of their power and very life force. You risked yourself to disrupt his plan and cause the machine to lose control. You watched as Bad Lands, the sole hero left standing, threw himself along with Steelheart into the building and whirling energies. You saw Steelheart disintegrate and then there was a blinding flash of light and howling noise that drowned everything out. When you came to, rescue workers were treating those with injuries and evacuating everyone else.

While the city mourns their loss, they are also comforted by the feeling that all the villains they once feared are gone. That there are no more super powered threats to their safety. They feel that the city has perhaps been changed for the better. One thing is certain. You have changed. And you have the sinking feel that you're not the only one.

Note: Might change the name of the campaign if the players think up a team name or such that sounds ok doubling as campaign name.

Setting Info

Our story takes place in the massive partially artificial island city of Mertropolis. Here there are members of all sorts of races, who generally don't have the strength in magic or weather-crafting as those in Equestria have (assuming this even takes place in the same universe as other MLP games). Ponies are not the majority race, that would be Sea Ponies, though not by a large enough margin to match the combined other races. Nature here is wild and free and there are not nearly enough weather-crafters to control the weather of the island. At best weather-crafters keep parks and other places in balance or just as often they work as private contractors. 70% of the island's "surface" is several stories under the waves, which suits the Sea Ponies just fine. Most of this surface is actually built atop the ruins of what is now called Old Mertropolis (which was probably build on the ruins of something else). Much of the rather modern styled (or even ultra modern) city, especially the busier areas, is bristling with sky scrapers. In the center of the island is a district called Center which is home to the tallest building of the city, Mertropolis Tower, which stands at the very center of the island (and is now undergoing repairs). Center is the home of many government buildings, including the Council Office, from which the councilors who govern the city do their work. Mertropolis does not use conventional electrical lines and the like due to the plethora of ways this could go wrong. While some electronics do exist (though that's still on the forefront of scientific development by and large), most things that would otherwise be powered by electricity are instead clockwork or use small amounts of magic. One of the common magically crafted items are magically glowing lamps. These are especially important since the city has an active nightlife thanks to A) the variety of races and B) it being a huge city.

Example Races
Earth Ponies
Pegasi (and the subtype of Bat Ponies)
Unicorns
Sea Ponies
Donkeys
Minotaur (and the subtype of Minitaurs)
Baby Dragons
Dragonnel (Image Reference. Visual inspiration for the Dragonnel comes from these drawings by Carni of http://carniscorner.tumblr.com)
Buffalo
Griffons
Hippogriffs
Zebra
Changelings (still not really a socially acceptable race of course but, it is an available choice)
Goats
Deer
Antelope
Miniature Giraffes (image reference by Dr Blight)
Giant Snakes (varying from small pony to minotaur sized)
Plant Ponies

Sea Pony & Plant Pony Info
Sea Ponies come in all sorts of varieties and several major subtypes. Most sea ponies have fore-legs but, some have dextrous fins instead. There are the earth pony equivalent "Sea Ponies", the flying fish like Sea Pegasi (which can breath air and fly), Sea Unicorns, and Deep Ponies (which come in two major varieties: Angler Ponies with their electroluminescent filament sprouting from their heads and the tentacled Cephaloponies). All Sea Ponies (except for Sea Pegasi) share an additional subtype known as Selkies, which can change from their Sea Pony form into the form of a land dwelling creature (usually a pony). (Note: Sea Ponies normally breath water instead of air.)

Sea Ponies that cannot breath air use various crafts when they need to go on land or into areas of buildings not filled with water. One of the most common examples is a kind of four legged platform with a large rectangular fish tank on top.

Plant Ponies, created by the villain Mintress Experimint and freed from servitude by Zamsha, typically have the basic form of an Earth Pony but, are clearly plants. They come in all sorts of varieties and roughly 50% can breath underwater.

Last edited by Ramsus on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Mertropolis Sign up & OOC Empty Re: Mertropolis Sign up & OOC

Character Creation & Mechanics Info

My skype address is Ramsusofthepants. If you can't use skype, make a character sheet and link it so we can chat in the google doc's chat thing.

So the first thing you're going to want to do is think up a character concept. It could be a cyborg sea pony, a cryokinetic powered unicorn, or a Thing style goat. Then you're going to want to work with me to figure out what your super powers are. You guys aren't strong supers like superman or such, your powers are a bit more limited. Basically you'll probably have 2-3 powers depending on their strength. (Keep in mind that movement powers are a thing.) Don't be afraid to come up with ideas that aren't in the system and any that are we can strengthen for our purposes.

Then you're going to work with me to pick out how your attributes/skills are set up. Instead of the default setup, you will pick a primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary attributes (which you can name later). You will then assign two skills of your choice to the first three and one of your choice to the last. I will then pick where the remaining skills go.

Instead of an Element you can pick any Magic Utility (including the Elements, if they match your concept). Additionally, each of the elements can be taken once by the group as Utilities. (Meaning, you could pick Honesty for one of your Utilities instead of some other Utility if nobody in the group has it.)

Note: Please feel free to ask if you can use any unofficial ideas.

You get 8 racial points as per normal with the following changes:
Spoiler:

You get the normal 5 utilities. I'm not going to go through the entire list but, there are many I will probably adjust numbers on. Utilities from my Skill Support thread are pre-approved. And so are any changes and removals suggested there.

Steady Hoofed is banned. (Along with any other Magic Drain talents that show up at any point.)

Conflicts will be handled with the above features so, there is no need for you to pick out any "combat" talents, traits, or items.

Due to the lack of combat mechanics, you will gain a Utility Talent every level.

Boons will be lesser strength individual choices (that can be combined together with other player's choices to make stronger ones) which we will work on when they come up (just saying ahead of time not to feel constrained by either of the two official Boons setups).

We will be using the Talent Specialization system. You will gain 3 TSP per level instead of the normal 2.

Last edited by Ramsus on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

PCs, NPCs, & Locations

Note: I'm aiming for 5 players, I'm only going to allow one member of each race (and given the variety of races I'd really prefer to get an actual variety and not all three of the normal pony races), the came isn't first come first served so, don't be discouraged if you see a bunch of others have applied.

PCs:

NPCs:

Locations:

Last edited by Ramsus on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:59 pm; edited 10 times in total
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:38 pm

One thing I love about your campaigns Ramsus, is that you just know how to pitch them.... I do wish to join. But unsure what I'll build off the top of my head.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Just quickly posting here to secure a spot. Nothing unusual...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:05 pm

I might try this one out, plant pony sounds kind of fun - but I guess I'll wait to see 'character creation guidelines'...
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:55 pm

Ok more or less done with setting/character creation stuff for now. One thing that I didn't mention is that once people are done making their characters, I wouldn't mind some ideas for villains (or even interesting locations I suppose). Not that I don't have some of my own of course.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:19 pm

I already have a character that would likely work very well, with a couple slight modifications to back story and stuff. (much of her character should make much more sense if you read my post about merponies mentioned)
Character:
Coral Wrench Image:
The narcolepsy part there at the end would only be for non-combat situations. (was copy-pasta'd from another of my posts on this character)

She would probably have come from a back-country little hamlet for sea-ponies or something, and it could be her first time visiting the big city when she meets to party.

This sound good?
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Well, that would be a decent starting point for the character before gaining super powers with only a few issues that need to be addressed. 1) A sea pony that can't breath underwater is probably not a good idea for this campaign. 2) The narcolepsy could get really annoying. If it's incredibly mild and the other players don't mind, I'd say just roleplay it as appropriate (and setting DCs for waking your character up I'd feel ok leaving entirely up to you, so long as they're reasonable). Just try not to do it constantly. 3) You might want to adjust the personality just a bit so she's more willing to travel around as, it'd be a little difficult for your character to have been taken hostage/perform as a hero if she stays in a cave all the time.

If you're really attached to those ideas though, you could save the concept for another campaign where they might fit better and make something else for this one. Wouldn't want you playing a character you only half-like because you didn't get to do with it what you really wanted to. =)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:40 pm

A CAMPAIGN WITH SUPERPOWERS.... Ok now I MUST JOIN THIS, and have the superpower of super-velocity and velocity control.... It's a superpower I've always wanted to play around with.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:30 pm

I might sign up for this but well I can't think of any super power that I can not break horribly...

Also two sets of two word pieces of advice/inspiration for Coral: Prophetic Dreams and The Sandman

Last edited by tygerburningbright on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:49 pm

Yeah, I won't mind joining this. If I'll be accepted that is.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:10 am

To tell the truth, there is an incredibly small chance of that Fury.

@Tyger: I'm not familiar with Coral Prophetic Dreams and I've never read the Sandman to my chagrin (let's just say there were multiple incidents involving people supposing to lend it to me and that not happening).
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:18 am

Incredibly small chance? I have no idea if that's meant to be saying 'You do actually have a chance' or 'Your chances of getting in are low'...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:22 am

The later.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:27 am

Well I already knew that
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:08 am

Looking back at your first post, I think the character I was trying to create would fit even better than I came up with as a unicorn selkie than how I made her. I would probably only use the narcolepsy when it would be comical in some way, rather than annoying. She would still be quiet, and hate the nickname Narwhal, but she wouldn't live in a cave. She would still live in a back-country little village, and have no known family, but she would at least have a basic understanding of her magic and her cutie mark (building/engineering, in case that wasn't clear in my earlier description). She would still etc., etc., blah blah blah, you get the picture. She could be on a trip with her friends to visit the big city when she gets taken hostage.

Oh, and since it seems everpony else is choosing a super power, maybe the ability to randomly read thoughts? Shocked
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:54 am

That sounds good. Mind reading would probably take a lot of the fun out of things actually. Sorry.
Edit: Unless, you meant actually randomly as in she doesn't have any control over it. In which case that could be pretty funny. You'd need to pick some other powers to go with it.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:21 am

That's exactly what I meant. She could go to a public restroom and accidentally hear the thoughts of the couple having sex in the next stall, for all she would be able to control it. Maybe at one point, random mind reading in combination with narcolepsy, she could learn something critical to the plot from somepony's mind, and then immediately fall asleep?
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:08 am

lol, I'll be sure to think up funny things to do to you with it. Twisted Evil 
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:38 am

would I need to give her the ability to breathe air if she's a selkie? or would that be automatic? and would I have to buy Alter Ego for the selkie part?
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:55 am

You'd need to buy Alter Ego and One with the Waves. (This really would be easier over skype or something btw.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:44 am

Okay, I'm not completely sure I read this correctly, but basically we get mix and match attributes? My flower pony can have the attributes:

Grace
Health
Aesthetic Sense
Warcraft

(in that order of power)

and I get my choice of whatever two skills I think would be fitting for each of those? (with only one on the fourth, and you allocating the remaining skills?)
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Yup. I would have left naming them after seeing what skills each attribute ends up with myself.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:29 pm

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HaOZsn1WOxEb6ZL9fI9i1DPdTI6G5SX_lFrhWN1jnGw/edit?usp=sharing

This is what I've got for her so far. A couple things are still undetermined, depending on what the party does.
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next