Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge (Part 4)

+2
A1C Bronymous
Ramsus
6 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge (Part 4) - Page 39 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge (Part 4)

Post  Azarune Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:18 pm

"I feel no presence within it. Rolf, what can you discern?"
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:20 am

"Some type of magical force, but I cannot discern anything more. For all I know, it may just be the original necromancy that was keeping this zombie up in the first place. At any rate, we don't have time for in-depth analysis, so we might as well just kill it and move on."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:37 am

"Well that's settled." Horizon closes on the zombie from behind, running his Kukri through the back of its neck, severing the spine, and then tearing outward, leaving the head all but severed from the rest of it.

Making Assumptions:
A) I don't have to re-enter combat to finish it
B) it isn't going to ninja counter my attack
C) I can get it quick and clean, with an Athletics roll of 14+13=27
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:50 am

The 'zombie' seems to try incomprehensibly yelling in apparent pain/surprise, but the newly-made grievous injury makes it impossible, outside of a deathrattle. It falls to the ground, a small blood-spout gushing from its exposed blood-veins, and retains signs of 'life' for about a minute before becoming still. The paladins, previously mildly hesitant to Rolf's choice, are now mildly unsettled. Bob is extremely unsettled.

"That's... that, I suppose. Needlessly vicious as it was. We should continue on.", Siph orders, falling back to the wagon with the others.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:52 pm

"Now that we know more about that shield, lets be sure to never repeat this ever again."

Last edited by Azarune on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sometimes I Just forget how to write...)
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:13 pm

The zombie's death throes were thoroughly unpleasant to observe, and the looks of the paladins and Bob made Rolf realize that the situation may not have been as cut and dried as he thought. "Well, if it simply heals both dead and undead alike when it's dispelled, it might be a bit of a double-edged sword. However..." Rolf climbed into the cart and sat next to Bob. "Bob, I...I don't know exactly what happened here. Zthulan claimed that there was nothing occuring spiritually with the zombie, which would imply that it was still just a mindless corpse. But with it being healed almost to "living" appearance, and it not attacking us right away..." Rolf shook his head, feeling a bit guilty. "Then again, we don't know how it would behave if presented with a helpless target, or if it would have "worn off". I...don't know if I was being hasty or not simply wishing it dead, but...well, I'll leave any future research to your discretion."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:45 pm

"I don't know why you guys always get so squeamish when that happens." Horizon returns to the group, cleaning off his Kukri. "First that cultist I gutted, now this zombie. It was a zombie. Regardless of its state of mind or soul, it was still a necromantic abomination. It was still viable to be controlled by our enemies, and it served no purpose in surviving. It was a walking corpse, no matter how good it looked, and just because it bled a bit more doesn't mean it we had a chance of saving it from what it was. If that shield healing effect..." Horizon looks at Bob now. "If that is always going to be there, then it means more of a mess for us, but also an easier time of it. The Zombie was pacified, it didn't have any urge to fight or kill. The more like that that we have to deal with, the better."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:53 am

"Horizon's words do hold some truth. Whatever might have changed, it was still a zombie. Perhaps the mind returned without a soul, but even if there was life, as strange as it is to hope there wasn't, what kind of future could one expect? Certainly not one so easily able to return to any semblance of normality." Jeraylia whispers a few Melorian passages for restful peace, and sits back down in her seat.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:18 pm

"Our hesitation was more of moral matters than squeamishness. It's difficult enough to judge and act in the gray areas of ethics, when we are suddenly confronted by one as perplexing as this one. It's not unheard of that a paladin breaks their oath to their deity and themselves, by acting in ignorance or delusion. We can only hope the decision was one that brings about no evil for anyone, now that it's been done.", one of the younger-looking paladins replies.
"Horizon's words do hold some truth. Whatever might have changed, it was still a zombie. Perhaps the mind returned without a soul, but even if there was life, as strange as it is to hope there wasn't, what kind of future could one expect? Certainly not one so easily able to return to any semblance of normality."
"We know all too well what kind of 'future' it could expect. We see it every day, with the poor, the blind, the crippled... And we know that hope and effort can still bring a future where there is none predicted. Just ask our High Priest. Or, uh, 'Beady' Jack. Saint's sake, this is incredibly depressing. I don't think I'll be trying out the spell's 'friendly target' capabilities, not unless someone insists on it. Proof of concept, yes, but incredibly awkward for everyone. I probably need a professional to sort it out, too. Let's not dwell on it, I'm already flustered too much.", Bob replies.
"Agreed. Lets go, whilst we're unburdened. We have less ambiguous matters to meet face-to-face.", Siph says, offering the reins.

Same deal with rolls as before.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:01 pm

"I was talking about the babies in my group, not the goody-goody children in yours. Rest assured, paladins, any future situations that mirror this one will be handled precisely the same way. 'Evil' is just a method of operation." Horizon sheathes his gear and heads back to the front of the wagon, back to scouting.

Stealth: 8+12= 20
Perception: 18+10= 28
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:16 am

"The intentions are just as important as the action itself."
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:41 am

"I'm not in a mood to argue situational ethics at the moment. Let's keep moving." Rolf looked out ahead and tried to remember to best route leading to Zilean's camp.

Rolling Streetwise...8 (1d20) + 10 = 18
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:23 pm

The rest of the journey to the camp is relatively uneventful, up until they approach the camp.

Scouting ahead, Horizon can see that there don't appear to be any living guards - just animated skeletons of various races, who appear to have a rather rigid and 'fixed' patrol route within and around the camp walls, armed with simple weaponry and clothed in purple robes. He also spots that a few patrols outside the walls are accompanied by canines - reanimated dogs with no noticeable reduction in dexterity.

He counts up at least 10 skeletons and four canines outside the walls, and about forty skeletons within the walls, though there may be more, outside his current line of sight.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:04 pm

Alright guys, let's do this. LEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY!

Horizon makes his way back to the wagon. "Skeletons and dead dogs. Looks like Zilean finally got tired of his worthless living subordinates. If we can move slowly and quietly, their patrols are mindless and preprogrammed. We can watch and hit the blind spots to sneak in. Or, if our cleric and Paladins feel like they can contribute effectively, we might try just overrunning the position. I feel like once we're inside we'll be less able to hide our presence, what with the big stupid paladins screaming holy chants at every zombie they see."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:50 pm

"The longer we can go unseen and still cause havoc the better. If we sneak in, we should take care of the undead on the walls, less we find ourselves surrounded by any stragglers."
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:22 am

"I think rushing straight in would be unwise. Even if Zilean turned all of the cultists into mindless undead, that's still a LOT of baddies to handle. We're going to have to either figure out a way to divide their ranks so we can take them out piece by piece, or soften them up with some long range artillery." Rolf looked over at Bob. "I don't suppose you've got another "experiment" that could help with that, would you?"
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:45 am

"Good luck. He said he left the fireworks to the Paladins." Horizon notes this with disdain, clearly implying the "I told you so". "Hopefully if he has anything else, it won't be so passive, and won't turn fighting the enemy into a morally questionable debate."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:06 am

Jeraylia discusses battle formations with Siph.
"Are the paladins able to form a small circle of consecrated ground through chanting and prayer, perhaps made stronger with a quick ritual? If we can create a moving barrier space that keeps out the lesser undead minions, our heavy hitters can deal with any else that slips through. It would also specifically let us focus more of our attention on the abomination once we arrive close enough by keeping Zilean's mooks away."
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:33 pm

"Well, I've got one more spell, but I'm not too confident about it, at least not for the impending, high-stakes confrontation.", Bob says. "It should be to our advantage against a crowd, assuming it doesn't backfire."

"An excellent suggestion, Miss Jeraylia. I believe with a vial or two of holy water, and some magical/divine improvisation, we could 'splash' a small circle on the ground, to either harm our enemies, our bolster our bodies, within its range. Or both, if we do it well enough. We can't really move it around, though, and we have only so many vials. Any suggestions where to set one up?", Siph asks.

Whoever's been driving - detail what side of the camp are you at now, and how close to it.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:07 am

Jeraylia directs the oxen towards the south side of the encampment, and draws them to a halt around a street corner close to the clearing.
She turns around and asks, "Horizon, could you take a quick sneak-peek at the walls to estimate numbers? Everyone else, taking final site-seeing suggestions for our trip into hell. Personally, its not a destination I'm really keen about, so I'd like to just drive in, make a quick stop, and ride out."

Plan J: Ride the cart in, using the element of surprise, all the way into the main tent. See if we can get a barrier going to stall the mooks while we (the Scythes, or was it Scythe?) engage the abomination. Ride out behind the power of a spectral battering ram through any of the gates/walls.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:47 am

"50, give or take. Good luck getting the ox to pull us all the way through that."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:44 am

"I thought the orders were more along the lines of "eliminate ALL undead" at the location. While the abomination is clearly the biggest threat, the skeletons will still have to be dealt with one way or another. I...also didn't exactly prepare that wall-blasting spell after my surgery, so that's out unless some of the paladin's weapons has something similar (or we try seeing if they fully repaired the hole in the north). The main question is if there was a way to make them come to us, so we could set up one of Siph's holy circles and fight with a combat advantage."

OOC: Spectral Battering Ram isn't part of the Abilities system, so Rolf can't do it.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:20 am

"Worst comes to worst..." Horizon says, pulling a vial out of his pouch. "I have this. Alchemist's Fire, but unstable and potentially far more destructive. I don't know how well it will actually work, but if we need to we can probably rehash the trick we used on the flesh abomination back at the temple. Lure as many of the skeletons in as we can and take them all out at once. But no guarantees on its effectiveness, so probably keep that as a last resort."

It occurs to me that of all the games on the forum, this one would probably make the most use out of the new system. It's not pony, so no problems with design choices, and we're already a few levels in, so we could get a better look at the higher level stuff. And Horizon needs a new combat build anyway.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:40 pm

"Do you think we should save that against the amalgamation of corpses we're here for? Unless you have more that is."
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:10 pm

"Nope, just this one. Cultists and Clerics aren't very well supplied for alchemy."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next