Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Page 29 of 29 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:On page 17 of Wanderlust - The Adventurer's Guide, footnote 2 simply repeats the text of footnote one on the previous page, dealing with Life, when it should be addressing initiative. What's the text supposed to be?

Quick aside - it amazes and humbles me that people are still playing this system. I led the design when I was a student in college. Now I'm a designer at blizzard (recently hired). Looking back on this system work, so much of it shaped my knowledge about design and balancing. So thank you all for being a great audience.

Thanks for pointing out the error. I've fixed the footnote. Here's what it reads now:

Alternatively, you can use an alternative system that produces better gameplay but is slightly less realistic. It’s what I use in my own games. This system involves the highest rolling side getting to go first, and picking any character they’d like to act (even if they rolled low). Then the opposing side picks a character to act. You alternate back and forth until everyone in the battle has acted once. This works great, because you have added reasons to talk to your allies in order to figure out who should go next. The alternating between the heroes and their enemies taking a turn also creates more dynamic push/pull between the sides, like classic turn-based strategy games. Why isn’t this system the default then? It’s less realistic, and Wanderlust is designed for stories first and foremost. But it’s definitely more fun.

Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
Dusk Raven wrote:On page 17 of Wanderlust - The Adventurer's Guide, footnote 2 simply repeats the text of footnote one on the previous page, dealing with Life, when it should be addressing initiative. What's the text supposed to be?

Quick aside - it amazes and humbles me that people are still playing this system. I led the design when I was a student in college. Now I'm a designer at blizzard (recently hired). Looking back on this system work, so much of it shaped my knowledge about design and balancing. So thank you all for being a great audience.

So that's what you've been doing that's absorbed your time!

I, on the other hand, am more amused by the fact that no one noticed that for the years Wanderlust has been out. To be fair, it was a footnote, and not actually impairing to gameplay in any way.

But yes, I do appreciate what both PT and Wanderlust are and what they represent. However, I've been thinking of proposing some modifications, given the lack of support...
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 pm

I've learned so much since making these systems. I'm actually turning my hand back to RPG system design for the first time since Wanderlust this week. First playtest is tentatively scheduled for a week from now. Freelancing for a company producing a 13th age supplement, making 2 classes for them, gave me the bug again.

And yes, my time has been spent mostly on creating the game Faeria (free to play on steam!). I'm starting at Blizzard as a designer on Hearthstone at the end of the month.

Looking for an artist right now, one that would be excited to work with me and Kindulas in creating a superhero comic. If you're interested, know anyone that might be interested, or just want to give the script for our first issue a read - enjoy the link below.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Interesting. Hmm, would you mind anyone doing their own fan expansions for Wanderlust or PT?

...Oh, speaking of inexplicably unnoticed errors, in the Pony Tales Skype Combat Talents page, on page 16, Critfisher has a period in the middle of "Utility."
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:Interesting. Hmm, would you mind anyone doing their own fan expansions for Wanderlust or PT?

...Oh, speaking of inexplicably unnoticed errors, in the Pony Tales Skype Combat Talents page, on page 16, Critfisher has a period in the middle of "Utility."

Go for it. Fan away. I'm always in favor of people riffing on my stuff and doing whatever they want with it. Just credit us with the original design and make it clear what you've added. Smile

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Of course.

Another question that just came up about a rule I only just learned about, from the PT Combat Talents file:
When a conjuration’s controller is unconscious, the conjuration has to make a saving throw at the end of each turn. If they succeed, the conjuration is fine. If they fail the saving throw, they vanish (not ‘destroyed’).

Is that at the end of the Conjuration's turn, or the Conjurer's turn?
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Dusk Raven wrote:Of course.

Another question that just came up about a rule I only just learned about, from the PT Combat Talents file:
When a conjuration’s controller is unconscious, the conjuration has to make a saving throw at the end of each turn. If they succeed, the conjuration is fine. If they fail the saving throw, they vanish (not ‘destroyed’).

Is that at the end of the Conjuration's turn, or the Conjurer's turn?

The conjuration's turn.

My Comic Project
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:00 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Quick aside - it amazes and humbles me that people are still playing this system. I led the design when I was a student in college. Now I'm a designer at blizzard (recently hired). Looking back on this system work, so much of it shaped my knowledge about design and balancing. So thank you all for being a great audience.
Congrats at getting a job with Blizzard. Now I can tell myself that whenever I buy HS packs I'm supporting a friend who works there...

Based Emotion Chart:
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:06 pm

Congratulations on the new job. As far as the systems, despite any individual arguments that could be made about quirks and such, it's basically two relatively stable systems that are interchangeable to suit player and GM tastes. Even outside of MLP's popularity (and the release of its official RPG), that flexiility is probably a lot of what provides the staying power.

I'm also in the "thinking of modifications" boat but I've just been so frustratingly disorganized for a while.
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:13 pm

so there's this in the ability list. Fly on the Wall is indented so it's nested in the Audiomancy tree, but there's no prerequisite listed for it. Is Fly on the Wall a misformatted unique ability or is it missing a prerequisite?

audiomancy/fly on the wall:
Audiomancy (2) – At Will
Preparation Time: Instantaneous
Do one of the following things:
- Cause a sound to emanate from any object or space within fifty feet of you that you can see. The sound can be as loud as a shout or as quiet as a whisper
- Alter a sound within fifty feet of you to another of similar volume. For example, you could make a shout of warning sound like a round of applause. This effect lasts until the sound naturally dies away.

Fly on the Wall (1) – At Will
Choose any small object within fifty feet of you that you can see. Until your next extended rest or you use this ability again, you can hear sounds as though your ears were in the place of that object. This does not impede your ability to hear through your ears normally. The object gives off a very faint ringing noise, and the noise can be heard with a perception check with a DC of ( 20 + Your Level). The enchantment can also be sensed with an Arcana check with a DC of (25 + Your Level).
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 29 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29

View previous topic View next topic Back to top