Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A World of Monsters

+4
Marona
Lapis-Lazily
A1C Bronymous
AProcrastinatingWriter
8 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

A World of Monsters Empty A World of Monsters

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:25 pm

"We are the Hunters. We are not the Prey."

The inscription above the front door to the local guild is short and to the point - nonsense isn't brooked in a place where hunters live. Still, it works for what it is, and of course sometimes it's nice to have a reminder.

The inside of the relatively little guild is a small clump of turning passageways and somewhat identical rooms, each one personalized for the sake of the one or two people who live within it. Exceptions exist, of course; the dining hall is thoroughly room, a long table big enough to sit three times the guild's populace there, and the training room is just as large and twice as crowded with hunters, obstacles, and effigies of black-hearted creatures.

Again, no nonsense.

Though perhaps the most no-nonsense thing about it was the salt-and-pepper man in the very back room, covered in furs and smoking what looked to be a homemade cigar, though one could really only tell by the thick smoke rapidly filling the room. "I suppose it's for the best," he barely enunciates, leaning back in his chair.

Across from him, a woman in pants and very little shirt sighs deeply. "If you say so. Anyways, sun's rising - I'm going to open up for the day."

The man thinks about that for a few moments as the woman stands. "If they haven't run off, there should be some people at the front gate. Send them back here."

"New recruits?"
the girl asked. A few seconds of silence was taken as a 'yes'. "Well, it's about time..." she said beneath her breath, though not deeply enough, judging by the smile on the old man's face.

A scant five minutes later, and the great wide doors of the guild opened up, letting in the rising sun. "Hmm," the woman says, glancing over all of you. "So. You're the new guys?"

Spoiler:
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

A World of Monsters Empty Re: A World of Monsters

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:04 pm

"Parrah. New in what sense of the word?" Leopold DeHavilland stood forward boldly from the group of others. "As if we all haven't been here in the past. And I'm certainly beholden to age, so I'm far from new, compared to you, girl. Shall we be let in? A chill morning does little to bolster the constitution, and waiting around gains us naught."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:45 pm

"I must agree with your sentiment, though the cold bothers me not. Let us be off," a deep voice echoes from what appears to be an armored man standing in the back of the group group. He is standing almost unnaturally still and his voice carries a certain distant quality.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:26 pm

"Alright, alright..." the girl at the door says, turning. "Wimps," she says, not at all under her breath, as she leads the lot of you inside.

Two or three turns past still-sleeping hunters (a good amount of which snore), a couple0more turns past empty rooms, and the group comes to the room furthest in the back. "Boss is inside," the girl says, stepping forward and pressing palms against the oaken doors. "Doesn't leave the guild too often, as I'm sure you've heard, but he's a good man. Not exactly chatty, mind you, but a good man nonetheless." Then, with a grunt of effort, she pushes, and the doors open wide.

At a reasonable facsimilie of a desk, underneath a cloud of cigar smoke, an old man in green-dyed furs looks up. "Ah. Welcome." A glance to the side. "Levy, leave us."

In response, the girl, apparently named Levy, shrugs and turns on her heel. "See you around," she calls back as she leaves, tapping her fingers against her side.

The doors creak close behind her.

The old man's eyes pass slowly over the group, lingering for a few seconds over one particular member. After a brief eternity, the cigar leaves his mouth in between his fingers, and he breathes out a smog. "So. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting...most of you," the man begins, looking vaguely uncomfortable, despite how hard he is to read. "Name's Restagorn. I'm the head of the Thorned Hunters, and you all," he leans forward, "Are fresh applicants...you all know each other?" He looks at the blank faces in front of him. "Yet you all signed up at abut the same time? Hmm."

The cigar goes back in his mouth, and he leans back, thinking. "Why don't start clearing things up? Who are you all, and why are you attempting to join this guild?"

AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:31 pm

Regina gives a friendly wave, only briefly diverting her attention from the book she's reading.

Spoiler:
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:17 pm

"I am sir Thorix Knightshadow. I am a protector, and simply wish to fight the monsters on behalf of those who could not do it themselves."
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:42 pm

"Alice Wooler, sir."The girl calling herself Alice shrugged. "Back home, m'father bought pelts from local monster hunters, who always talked about how rewarding it was. Now he's gone, I thought I might try my hand at it" Alice hoped that sounded convincing enough.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:15 pm

Restagorn looked at Alice for a few moments. "Fine a reason as any, I suppose," he finally said, shrugging, then turned to the next in line. "And your reasons?"
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:36 pm

"Well who doesn't fancy the title of Hunter? I think if you want to know why we are all here, you should rouse your men and ask them- our answers would be the same. I am Leopold DeHavilland, Clerk, Banker, entrepreneur, and adventurer- and soon to be Hunter."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Oh my gosh I'm so excited I can't believe it I'm actually going to be a hunter, I'm-

"Rixa. Just Rixa." The thus-named young woman with short brown hair smiled. "It's much the same story with me. I've been hearing the stories for so long I... I wanted to live them."

Was that good I hope it was good I thought it was a clever phrase oh I hope I make it in...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Restagorn strokes his chin, thoughtful. "I see," he says, then indicates the one who didn't speak. "The one who doesn't deign to speak is Reginia Reid, but you can call her Little Miss Reid if you like." He's smiling now, evil intent apparent. "Trust me, I've known her for years; she loves it."

This said, he stands, bone creaking as he does so, and puts the cigar out on his desk - possibly the least safe move he could have thought of. "Well, come on then. We'll give you guys your first mission. You all come back alive, it'll be introductions and tours and good feelings all around." He brushes past the group and walks out the oaken doors, indicating you lot should follow him.

For the next few minutes, you all walk towards some destination known only to this guildmaster, and he speaks in a tone of voice that indicates there will be no accepting of disagreement in any way, shape or form - not cruel, but (of course) no nonsense. "Alright, I'm going to be talking to you from here on out under the assumption that you all make it back home and become our newest little pack of Hunters, so you better listen up because I do not like talking and I hate repeating myself. For your first several jobs, you'll go out as a collective group - watch each others' backs until you get some experience under your belt. When I give approval, and not before then, any or all of you may choose to go on jobs out as individual members or with other members of this guild as you all please."

"There is no specific amount of money you'll need to bring in or number of jobs you'll need to pull off in a month, a week, or even any particular day. If you need a day off every now and then, that's fine, just don't start slacking off or we will not hesitate to revoke your membership in our little explorer's club." A left turn past a rather round man (who is yawning, but takes the opportunity to wave to Regina) and the end destination is in sight: a larger-than normal door made of ironwood with the words "Training Hall" etched into it. "In exchange for bringing back money from your jobs and occasionally performing some menial labor here at your new home sweet home, we will feed you, give you a bed for the evening, train you, and do whatever else you need us to do. You accept jobs by entering the training hall..."

The doors creak open, a sound like Restagorn's bones, and the training hall is revealed - it's nothing fancy, but between the practice dummies, the climbing wall, and the burn marks on the floor it's definitely what it claims to be. "...and you head to the job board. If you can't figure out what the job board is from the name, you should probably leave now before you get hurt. Once you get to the job board," And at about this time the group gets to the job board, "You choose the job you want to do. Once you've done so, you take the paper off and bring it into my office to let me know you're doing a job and which one you're doing. Even on days you've decreed your day off, you check this thing first thing in the morning - if I or anybody else has any announcements to make to the Thorned Hunters as a whole or needs to get a hold of you as a group or any one of you, this is where you'll be notified. Now that I've said that, it's your fault if you don't get the message, not mine."

"Let's see...what else..." the old man says, scratching his chin once more. Off to the side, a lean young man in dark colors leaned to the side of the job board, watching the proceedings. "Don't go picking fights that aren't necessary...don't be unprofessional...and don't try to keep any of the money from a job to yourself. We'll know. If you get a bonus for some reason, run that fact by us and we'll probably let you keep at least a portion of the extra money. If we don't, there was a darn good reason we didn't."

"Well, that's about it for the rules. Now for your first mission." Restagorn turns to the bulletin board, looking over the contents. "You can choose from these three," he finally saysm, pointing to the jobs in question. Despite the silence somewhere in between, no one elected to speak up. Restagorn's blustering storm was too strong a force to be stopped by anything like temporarily stopping.

The first mission (for all three are clumped somewhat nearby) describes the plight of a nearby farming couple whose crops were being stolen in the night - likely by monsters, though possibly by bandits. A reward of 750 Plinks is offered - small potatoes, but also a considerably high payment considering the job.

The second mission involves sightings of a gigantic monster on the edge of the town of Nut. It doesn't seem to be at all aggressive, but it's making the townspeople nervous, and they'd appreciate someone coming to find out why it was hanging about. A reward of 1500 Plinks is offered.

Thee third mission is apparently about a crying statue - no other details are offered, but the high reward (3000 Plinks) seems to indicate that great difficulty is expected, likely combat with a powerful monster.

Restagorn straightens. "Discuss it amongst yourselves, get to know one another, whatever. Whenever you've made your choice, bring the mission you chose to my office." With this, he walks off.

In the shadow of echoing footsteps, a chuckle emerges. "Lemme guess...he didn't even ask what special skills you guys have to work with as hunters?" the pale youth leaning on the wall asks, smirking. His black hair, tousled, matches his lean frame, purple shirt, and black pantaloons. An overlage quiver and bow are stretched across his beanpole back. "Don't get me wrong, Retragorn's good when it comes to keeping us working at the same goal, but his interpersonal skills are more than a little rusty." He smacks his head. "Ah, I'm being too harsh on him...and hey, I haven't introduced myself! Name's Patrick. Patrick Grashish. Nice to meet most of you, and nice to see you again, Little Miss Reid."

Spoiler:

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Regina snaps her book shut huffily(?) at Restagorn's statement of her love of her involuntary nickname but, otherwise pays close attention to what he says and nods along. Regina waves back with a smile at the rounder fellow. " 'lo Patrick." Regina says rather distractedly as she reads not just the three items the group is supposed to be choosing between but the entirety of the job board. Still looking at it she says, "I think the second or third. Though uh... you don't have to mind... my opinion." she ends up trailing off self consciously. Changing the subject she says, "So we should show and tell Patrick?" "Ok, stand still then." she says to Patrick and she makes weird grabbing/flicking motions at the air and suddenly several crab looking things appear in the air and started pulling at Patrick's hair and clothes. If crabs had dragonfly wings, lacked the fine detail features, and appeared to be made out of white and red ribbons. "I can make constructs like these little guys. Bigger than these though. Don't worry. They should in theory be useful in a fight."

Spoiler:
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:42 pm

"Regi, I know about your power, you take every chance you can to show it off," Patrick responded. "I'm sorry, I'm being mean, aren't I? Alright, show-off contest. Why not? Things go well and we might just be occasional partners some day, and I'd like to see what you guys can do."
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Regina sticks out her tongue and with a wave of her hand the crab-things unravel and dissipate with an almost comical crunching noise.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:02 pm

"You won't get any boastful magic tricks from me, my talents lack physical manifestation." Leopold taps a finger to his temple. "I have an eye for detail, and a talent for organization. Such abilities have served me well in every venture thus far, and this will be no different. I can assist the team in identifying, tracking, and exploiting the weaknesses of our quarry, as well as navigating the areas outside Bentbranch. And as the owner of the Bank, I am also reasonably wealthy- so the offer of free food and lodging in return for chores will not be necessary for me." He grabs the list of recommended assignments. "As for which we should do first- the key to being successful is seizing every opportunity and keeping a good head about you. Being buried in your own world," he gives Reid a disapproving glance, "or distracted by reward will leave you vulnerable and your pockets- if not your lungs- empty. We should find these bandits, then. They are first on the list for a reason, and the reward is not negligible. It would serve as good practice, since we are to be working with each other for a while."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:05 pm

Alice sighed."Not sure if I like wasting our power on show and tell, but as far as I go..." Alice changed here voice to mimic Regina" I'm an illusionist. I can make people think they see things that aren't there, or make things sound different than they actually do. She switches to Leopold "Also, If I focus hard enough, they illusions start hurting others, so you understand if I don't demonstrate that now."Alice finished off with a particularly annoying screech that monster guards tended to use if they caught thieves sneaking around.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:29 pm

"I see," Patrick said, digging into his ear with his pinkie. That was loud. "But hey, feel free to practice to your heart's content," he said, whipping his bow and a single arrow of his back and notching it in a...rather awkward stance. "This is the training room, after all."

The stance didn't seem to effect his aim, though, as the arrow flew straight across the room and into the monster dummy furthest away from him.  Patrick lowered the bow, smiling. "Wait for it."

The dummy burst into flames.

"Ha ha!" laughed Patrick, though it sounded a little forced. "I'm awesome. Metal arrowheads, heat rapidly when exposed to the air. Just a little something Sparks cooked up, and one of many different arrows in my quiver of tricks." He looked down at his bow for a melancholy moment before putting it away. "Of course it'd be cooler if they exploded, but you can't have everything, huh?"
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:53 am

"My talent is in protecting those who need it. Since nobody is in danger at the moment, no skills may be shown, nor do I find it necessary to show them. On the field, I will prove myself.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 pm

"Well, as far as proving ourselves goes, we don't want to take on something too big in our first real mission. M'father always said its better to start slow and build on success than overreach and wind up paste.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:33 pm

"I... I agree with taking the first mission. It'll give us a chance to test out our skills and see how well we work together." Rixa dodged the question of what abilities she had - she didn't think she could explain her... unusual weapon choices without making herself sound lame. And she wasn't exactly comfortable showing off her psychic talents, even if people in this place were more accepting than in her homeland.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Regina gave a quiet sigh and mentally grumbled about the fact that her first mission would be a milk run because people older than her had decided to join up and weren't sure of their own ability to handle anything more difficult than a milk run. This was hardly the excitement she had been looking forward to and she doubted she would even get to see any monsters worth taking notes on. She already dreaded how the more experienced members would tease and possibly lay the blame on her for the lack of courage and excessive timidity. Or maybe they would claim the others had made the choice because they thought she couldn't handle herself. That would be even worse. No matter what, she knew that if things continued like this she'd never be able to prove herself.

She shook her head and in so doing tried to shake the feeling that, despite having officially joined the guild finally, once again the most exciting part of her day would be when she finished her book or talked to the other guild members about real adventures.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:45 pm

"I see no reason to doubt our ability to do something tough. If consensus is on the first option, I will follow, but I think we can do better."
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:54 pm

Regina nods in agreement and smiles at Thorix.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:05 pm

"I vote we at least do option 2. It is not the hardest, but it is not pitiful either. This is my decision."
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:32 pm

"The second mission, while definitely worthwhile in its own time, has nothing to do with Hunting. They want investigators- nothing says we would or will fight the beast, except our own unwarranted aggression. I don't see how that can be considered a better challenge, or test of toughness, than hunting down a marauding band of who knows what, and bringing them to justice, if not to a swift death. At best, its a red herring, and at worst, it's pure reckless folly, bringing danger and harm to ourselves and the village asking us for help- in case your faith in your skills is even slightly overestimated. It wouldn't do to get us all killed on our first mission when there is no call for it." Leopold, barely looks away from the sheet as he speaks, disdainfully dismissing the ideas of the younger, more headstrong member. "Also, whether monster or men, theft of crops is a serious issue, as it translates into economical headaches for everyone. Color it a personal issue for myself, of which time is quite essential."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next