A New World

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A New World

Post  Curunir on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:55 am

From the great cities to small farming settlements, preparations are being made for the upcoming celebrations of the resetting of the calendar round- occurring only every 52 solar years.

In Coatlcalli, capitol of the proud Coatltec Empire of the Griffons, the Grand Plaza in front of the twin-peaked temple to Omecoatl is cleared to make way for the expected crowds, the marketplace scattered to the edges of the city to prepare for visitors. The stonework of the temples and palace are scrubbed clean, and redecorated with fresh paint. Squadrons of warriors take off to spread the news- and to seek out tributes, and captives. For the gods would need to be paid well for their patronage- and patience.

The High Inka oversees preparations in his retreat of Llakta Inka, hugging the side of the mountains overseeing the Holy Lake. Strands of Quipu writing woven into tapestries from across the land are being brought, to be quilted into a comprehensive history of the realm's most recent cycle.

Certain dragons know that this is no mere bundle of years, but the end of a larger cycle of time- an end to a centuries-long cycle- perhaps even the end of an age. In any case, the Great Calendar in the most ancient city of Kukulkin is counting down to something...

A new year, a new cycle, perhaps a new age approach- but there is yet time before the 5 nameless days of the Uayeb preceding the beginning- if not the end, of this unit of time.

Meanwhile, aside from alterations to routine from these preparations, life goes on...
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

View user profile http://turtlgandalf.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: A New World

Post  Marona on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:37 am

After many long days of travel, Keeper reaches the outskirts of the once great city of Kukulkin. She notes, with neither anger or sadness or any particular emotion, the clear progression of time that has taken place here. Trees and other plants grown thick around the outskirts and she can see farther ahead vines and grasses crawling on the structures, many in ruins, others still standing testament to the glory of what once was. As she continued on, she wondered how many others she would find here and how they would greet what was coming.
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:57 am

Arcantos had arrived at the city of KuKulin some time ago. He wanted to explore the great cithy, to see what dragonkind had once made. Additionally he wanted to clear and examine the Great Calander, to see what it showed, how long ago the cicle had began, and to see if he could use it to aid in his plan.
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathstorm50 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 am

Piasa had followed his lessons on ancient dragonkind, and the slightly reverberating feeling of Time, to the place where the old drakes bound what they knew of Time's cycles into their Great Calendar. No power of it's own, merely marking the passage of itself, forever. A circle of stone and markings to last countless lifetime of countless civilizations. It was here that he would start working towards what he had been born for. The reason he hatched different from other drakes, as an omen of doom for his village and hope for the future.

Rufus shivered from his position on Piasa's back, nestles between crystalline wings tucked into a slender sapphire body. Piasa crawled through the alleyways of the defunct city, growing closer to the place the Calendar was held. And it was there he would wait for events to unfold, and take action to preserve his history.
Deathstorm50
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Far from Llatka Inka, Ch'aska, aided the rest of the villagers with the preparations for the celebration. She threw herself into the cooking and decorating more earnestly than she had the making of the quipu for the village.That hadn't been much fun, especially since everyone had insisted that she add the parts about her families blessing, since she (supposedly) had the same gift. Still throughout the daily chatter, Ch'aska couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong with the proceedings. Maybe she was just imagining the various omens telling of danger ahead...
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:08 pm

The three dragons converge on Kukulkin, and on the Temple of Time in its center, containing the Great Calendar. While the city is abandoned, and much of it overgrown, the Temple of the Sun in the East and the Temple of the Moon on the northern end of the city still tower like mountains over the growth- and the paths of the city are still quite navigable, being surprisingly clear of vegetation. Elements of its architecture can be seen in all other cities- being the inspiration for most of them, even the imperial capitol of the Coatltec.

In contrast to the towering pyramids of the city's other great temples, the Temple of Time is lower to the ground, a vast open space with columns supporting a vast ceiling covering the Calendar, and the halls of murals surrounding it.

Exploring:
Anyone who was investigating the ruins (such as Arcantos) can make one or more of the following checks: Arcana, History, and Perception. Everyone should also do a Streetwise check to navigate the city ruins to reach your destination.

Seems you three are converging on the Calendar Stone. Feel free (actually, please do) to meet and interact with each other, I'll post more on the Stone after you all meet if you continue on to investigate it.

-----

"Hey there, little sis!" a familiar voice called- followed by a rapidly approaching familiar form- Chaska's brother Cateqil.  "How're the preparations going?"

Sensing her preoccupation, Cateqil continued without waiting for a reply.  "You should lighten up- celebration like this doesn't come every year! Our family even got honored in this cycle's records!  If we live to see the next one, we'll be too old to enjoy it- save your worries for then!"

"She should be worried" he went on in a high pitched voice, holding up a serpentine hoof puppet "For I am Two-Faced Snake, god of Griffons, and I hunger!  Feed me or I end world!" He rolled a piece of leftover amaranth and honey into the shape of a llama, and scooped it into the puppet's mouth- from where he ferried it on into his own.  "Delicious!  I sleep now." he stashed the puppet in his pack.  

"Anyways, i was about to go just outside the village into the jungle to restock on herbs, so let me know if you want to come too, or if there's anything you want me to bring back!" Cateqil started to bound back out, stopping while still within hearing distance and looking back to see if Chaska was coming, or had any requests.
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:29 pm

History: nat 20 (CMC) + 18 = 38 CMC (+5 if FK Astrology applies)

Streetwise: 17 + 5 = 22
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathstorm50 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:21 pm

OOC:
History: 3(damnit) + 11 = 14 (+5 if this check can be affected by one of my freaky knowledges)

Streetwise: 14 + 6 = 20 (I doubt architecture would help navigate a ruined city, but if so, add +5)

Sidenote, I like how my characters only job, involving history, is the skill I fail right off the bat. I sense only good things from now on.
Deathstorm50
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:03 pm

As Arcantos clears away vines and other spindly plant matter trying to scale the calendar from cracks in the floor, he apparently disturbs some birds that were roosting nearby- after some squawking some feathers drop to the ground between the stone and the entrance, and there is silence again.  

Despite nature's attempts to reclaim the site, the calendar seems to be in working order.  Its interlocking circular stone tablets are divided into many sections, with glyphs indicating the year.  A stone arrow seems to be indicating, accurately, the current year- while seemingly motionless, it would appear to mechanically track the passage of time.  Smaller writing and pictures cover the stonework everywhere as well.  

The largest unit of time that seems to be tracked with the calendar is a Piktun- roughly 8000 years.  And it appears the calendar is at the very end of this unit.  

Results:
Piasa and Keeper find their way pretty easily to the center of the city, and the Calendar stone- and now have a fairly good idea of the layout of the city (and should say hello to Arcantos).  I'll PM information from the History checks momentarily.
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathstorm50 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Piasa's eyes wandered, enthralled by the age-worn murals and towering pillars. For a brief moment, he can almost see how this temple must've looked at the height of Draconian civilization... and then something else grabs his attention. A strange creature, like-but-unlike Piasa, a creature that stood over half as tall as Piasa was long, with scales of deep blue, and blades at his back. His back was currently to Piasa, clearing away the vines, giving him time to prepare for the conversation to come. First, he told Rufus through the bond they shared to scurry off quietly, and get a feel for this new drake. Piasa himself waited until Rufus was safely out of sight, and cleared his throat.

"Ahem. Hello there, fellow drake. We're you also called to this location, at this of all possible times?"

OOC:
Yeah, I used Companion Telepathy to give Rufus two orders. Stealth and Perception.

Stealth: 1(... yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be using Rufus much for stealth anymore.) + 6 = 7

Perception: 8 + 7 = 15

so I'm guessing Rufus tripped and fell on the first rock, making as much noise as possible, and then just stared at Arcantos for a bit. This was a wise utility choice. I'm sure of it.
Deathstorm50
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:21 am

Keeper flies over and spots the two other dragons, "Greetings!" she says. "I don't think I've heard of your breed before." she comments to Piasa. "I am Keeper, and you two are...?"

Spoiler:

History check on the crystalline dragon

19 + 18 = 37 (+5 if FK Astrology applies. *shrug*)
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:51 am

Ch'aska quickly trotted after her brother. "Don't be so silly."she called out, suppressing a smile.
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:30 am

Arcantos stood up from his task of clearing the clock - which was almost complete - when he heard another voice spoke. He turned around to answer, but another dragon came in first. He did note that Piasa was different then any other dragon's he had seen before, but didn't think much of it as he spoke. "My name is Arcantos, and to answer the question that was asked before you turned up Keeper, I wouldn't say I was called here. I've already been here for a few days."
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathstorm50 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:20 am

Marona wrote:Keeper flies over and spots the two other dragons, "Greetings!" she says. "I don't think I've heard of your breed before." she comments to Piasa. "I am Keeper, and you two are...?"
Piasa turned to where the dragon interrupted from, glad for the distraction from his friend failing in his task. He calls Rufus back to him telepathically, and spoke to the new dragon.

"Greetings to you as well, fellow traveler. I'm not surprised you haven't, my tribe didn't know until I hatched. You may call me Piasa, and my fine furry friend here is Rufus." He holds up his multihued wing, balancing his companion on it, before retracting his wing and placing Rufus back on his back.

Fury of the Tempest wrote:"My name is Arcantos, and to answer the question that was asked before you turned up Keeper, I wouldn't say I was called here. I've already been here a few days."
"Well, it doesn't really matter how long you've been here, in the city. I more meant what called you to be here, at the place where Time is bound to this working of metal and stone and markings, the most great of the old drakes achievements, and what made you be here, right now, at the opportune moment for two others to appear. And-" He said, turning back to Keeper,"The question applies to you as well. What brought you here, now?"
Deathstorm50
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:41 am

"I wanted to see the city, to be reminded of what dragonkind did when united. I always wanted to see the clock, to see if I could use it to help convince others with my quest."
Fury of the Tempest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Spoiler:
Piasa/Deathstorm- it's up to you how much Keeper knows about crystal dragons- although I'm thinking that she at least is aware of stories of them, and their significance as some sort of omen- although perhaps she discounted them as legends and not actual history.

-----
"'Don't be so silly?' Why?  You want me to turn into Achiq?"  Catequil grinned to show he was just making fun.  "She'll be visiting too, although not for a couple days. It's particularly nice of her since I hear she'll be moving again- I think for a position in the capital!"

He pulled out his snake puppet as they passed Elder Yachay telling stories to a group of children.  

"Yachay!  Sorry, forgot to return this.  Let me know if you need me again for any more plays for the crias*(young llamas)!"  

"Thank you, Catequil.  But now I am telling them stories of our gods.  Now where was I?  Ah yes.  We honor Father Sun and Mother Moon because of the sacrifices they make for us, not the backwards way like the Griffons and Dragons do.  The Sun toils all day to help plants grow, leaving behind his sweat in the form of gold..."

The crone's tale soon becomes inaudible as Catequil and Ch'aska enter the jungle.  Catequil begins taking clippings off of nearby bushes and collecting fungus growths.  

"What was I saying?..  I may joke that Achiq is too serious- but hey, she's probably passing up an opportunity to visit the spectacle of the Llakta Inka ceremonies and hobnob with the nobility to visit our much more fun village festival and be with family."  

Spoiler:
Ch'aska, perception check please!
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Spoiler:
Darn. First roll of the game and its a natural 1 For the record...
1+5+3(eagle eye)=9
I guess add +5 if what I'm looking for is an omen.
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:54 pm

(Ch'aska)

Something feels wrong- you feel a growing sense of dread- and areunable to concentrate on finding useful cooking ingredients or healing herbs.  You don't notice when Catequil jokingly picks up a poisonous mushroom.

And then Catequil is gone. Just as you manage to notice this fact, you feel a sharp pain in the back of the head, and black out...

Spoiler:
Well, that was certainly a dramatic time for a critical failure- this certainly could have gone a lot differently.  Oh well, makes my job easier.

You can either accept your fate, or reflexively roll an Endurance check to see if you can remain conscious and resist your unseen assailant.  Not much time to do any more active actions on your part, surprise and all that.

Don't worry, this should result in you joining the rest of the group shortly.  Since you've been acting completely independently of the rest of the group so far and I had the foresight to not say it was a specific day- I will be using DM timey-wimey powers and say your events have actually been happening before our Dragons gathering at the Calendar Stone.
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:14 pm

"As Keeper it is my duty and privilege to watch over this auspicious event." she replied. She then checked to see about how much time they had until the big event.
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:16 pm

ooc:
aaaand we have another natural 1
1+11=12
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathstorm50 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:16 pm

"So, you've both come with reasons pertaining to history, and dragonkind in particular? 'Tis the same for me, as well. I came here to wait for whatever caused me to be born the way I was, and do whatever was needed of me during the events." Piasa moved over to where Arcantos was standing and started to help clean the clock.

"If my suspicions are accurate, I won't be waiting long."
Deathstorm50
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:26 am

Marona wrote:"As Keeper it is my duty and privilege to watch over this auspicious event." she replied. She then checked to see about how much time they had until the big event.
If the calendar is still accurate (or if the modern conception of the time still adheres to the First Calendar)- the new cycle celebration is in little over a week. But Keeper notices that the Great Calendar doesn't use any units smaller than a year... so it is hard to tell. In any case, the Calendar seems remarkably close to what it should be- the ancient dragons knew what they were doing.

As Piasa helps clear away some of the dust- centuries of shed plant, animal or mineral matter, on a nearby part of the calendar, he reveals a year whose glyph is inset with crystal.

OOC:
Trying to not set a very specific time right now, so I don't have to worry as much about how much time your characters take to travel or to do other things. Once we're more established, I will start a countdown of the 5 days before the new cycle. It's roughly a week, maybe a little more right now.
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:31 am

"It is good that you are clearing the calendar. I would like to go examine the inner workings and clear away any roots or other obstructions. Even if the calender function right now, it could be some time before others think to do so." Keeper says, unaware of Piasa's find.
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathstorm50 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:08 am

Piasa looked around at Keeper and Arcantos, and then looked back at the crystalline glyph.

"You have more interesting things to look at on the calendar's surface, Keeper. Both of you, what say you on this glyph's significance?" Piasa proceeded to more carefully examine this crystal, using his eyes, ears, claws, and senses more esoteric in nature.

OOC:
Yes, Perception and Arcana check on the glyph.

Perception: 17 + 6 = 23

Arcana: 12 + 8 = 20
Deathstorm50
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Piasa is unable to detect anything currently magical about the glyph. The whole calendar gives off a vague magical aura- likely a simple preservation enchantment that enabled it to function all these centuries.

Many of the years appear to have their main glyph inlaid with a variety of stones and metals. What seems to be interesting to Piasa about the crystal-inlaid years, is, if he's reading the calendar right- a couple of them seem to coincide with his hatching, and his awakening from his long nap...
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top