Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Special Moves - Designs needed!

+9
Z2
Zarhon
Pingcode
sunbeam
Xel Unknown
Fury of the Tempest
Paper Shadow
Lapis-Lazily
Stairc -Dan Felder
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

New Special Moves - Designs needed! - Page 5 Empty Re: New Special Moves - Designs needed!

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:01 am

... Did you balance them yourself Sunbeam or something? Because Knight's Presence and Samuari Strike (through not under those names) are the two talents I mainly worked on, but my final form and that final form are GREATLY different.

The Knight's Presence is a bit boring in that the ONLY difference between the crits is the amount of resist and THP you get. Compared to the original, I think its effects could be given a bit more diveristy while still keeping the Token mechanic.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

New Special Moves - Designs needed! - Page 5 Empty Re: New Special Moves - Designs needed!

Post  sunbeam Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Yes, I balanced these myself. That was my job when the combat revamp was just a combat revamp and not a system overhaul. The ones that were suggested in here strained the limits of my ability to quantify this system for balance purposes, so I had to take the theme that was suggested and fit in whatever I could that fit that theme.

Yeah, I'm not particularly happy with how Knight's Presence feels either. Resist and the oath tokens take up very large chunks of damage, making it a little clunky to manipulate the numbers. Keep in mind that Oath of Sacrifice you suggested is doable with Oath of Protection, since you can just re-target the attack multiple times (and if this is wrong, I can edit it so that it is. It's supposed to be doable). I just changed the d12 to Regeneration, and honestly I'm not certain why I didn't do that earlier. It definitely helps make the progression of the set more visible, I think.

Samurai's strike looks completely different because your Wrath of the Samurai was ludicrously overpowered for a special move. Wrath of the Spirit was worth 20+ damage (a d12 crit is worth 18 damage), and only costs one Wrath Mark (I do think this would make a kickass [-4] reaction combat talent, though. I'll poke the devs), while a wrath mark is otherwise worth 8 damge. The d10 gave you infinite wrath marks, which is at least worthy of being the d12, and the damage varies pretty much directly with the number of enemies/number of attacks, which makes the potential damage extremely variable. For example, on your turn of infinite wrath marks, because you start with 1, if you're fighting a troupe of minions, you can kill every minion that doesn't attack you. Heck, if you're fighting a boss that uses an AoE, you can make a good case for using Wrath of the Blade, getting a wrath mark, using that wrath mark in reaction to another ally getting hurt, and so on. Basically, it's just too abusable. So I tried to keep with The Punisher mentality while reigning in what is still the second or third most-damaging special move so that you can't steamroll people too easily.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:53 pm

By no means was I trying to discredit the various people who's input was given. A lot of good ideas were presented and I'm just glad the numbers got adjusted to being more workable. A few things in the old special system were just bad, like Healer's Grace.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Mon May 05, 2014 7:33 pm

The Wild Power special move shared its name with the Wild Power combat talent. It's name has been changed to Wild Energy.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Derpy_Dragon Sun May 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Well, lets see how far outside the box (or inside the chimney) we can go.
How about special moves that goes off on rolling ones or maybe uses all dice rolls?

Unlucky or I Just Don't Know What Went Wrong
All the following trigger on rolling a natural 1 on the shown dice.

d4 or d6: 1 Random enemy loses 1 life.
d8 or d10: 1 Random enemy is dazed and confused until the end of your next turn. A creature suffering confusion flips a coin when it attacks. If it loses the flip the attack targets one of your enemies at random instead.
d12 or d20: 1 Random enemy is stunned, gains vulnerability 4, and 4 ongoing damage.(save ends all)

I admit that having d4s, d6s, and d20s be able to trigger specials may cause problems with balance or something, so I also included a more normal version.

d8: Up to 4 random enemies lose 2 life.
d10: Up to 2 random enemies are dazed and confused until the end of your next turn. A creature suffering confusion flips a coin when it attacks. If it loses the flip the attack targets one of your enemies at random instead.
d12: 1 random enemy is stunned, gains vulnerability 4, and 4 ongoing damage.(save ends all)

Last edited by Derpy_Dragon on Sun May 25, 2014 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Derpy_Dragon
Derpy_Dragon
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 pm

That's an interesting idea. How exactly does it work? Do the special moves in the first example *only* trigger when you roll 1s?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Derpy_Dragon Sun May 25, 2014 8:03 pm

I was thinking that both versions would trigger off of rolling a natural 1 instead of what would normally causes critical hits. I only made the second version because I thought there might be some balance issues with getting extra effects from d4s, d6s, and d20s. It might not have been needed as the d4 and d6 effect is very minor and rolling a 1 on a d20 is very unlikely.

d8 or d10: 1 Random enemy is dazed and confused until the end of your next turn. A creature suffering confusion flips a coin when it attacks. If it loses the flip the attack targets one of your enemies at random instead.
I was originally going to have this part hit 2 random enemies like the 2nd version, but I thought it might be a little overpowered with it triggering off of d8s and d10s. I'm not 100% sure that change was needed.
Derpy_Dragon
Derpy_Dragon
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4