Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!)

+5
Fury of the Tempest
Quietkal
ZamuelNow
Crystalite
Curunir
9 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!) Empty Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!)

Post  Curunir Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:31 am

Setting

Several centuries into Equestria's future, magic and technology advanced significantly, resulting in a thriving industrial society.  This progress did not come without taking its toll, however- a rapidly growing population and dwindling resources began to put a strain on the harmony which lasted for over a thousand years.  Princess Luna, given a new perspective from her time on the moon, recognized that civilization, and even life, on the planet was fragile: easily destroyed if a conflict got out of hand, or if a magical disaster occurred.  

With the discovery of a habitable planet in a nearby star system, it became possible to set up a safeguard against these possibilities: And so began a great undertaking, a project to colonize this new world: providing an opportunity for a fresh start, to learn more about the universe, and to make ponykind's future more secure.  

Containing several thousand colonists, representing all of the races on the planet, and containing samples of most of its plant and animal life, the S.S. Harmony was launched on its decades-long journey to the new planet.  

After being locked in stasis, the crew finally awakes as the Harmony makes its final approach towards planet.  There is much to learn about this world- and it will be dangerous.  Its sun and moons are untouched by Alicorn magic, its native life untamed and wild, like the Everfree of old.  The colonists will have to learn from scratch everything about their new home if they are to survive: plants, animals, even magic may be unfamiliar here.

Old lessons of harmony may even need to be re-learned : for this attempt at a fresh start is not untainted by seeds of discord from the old world...

General Information

So I'm starting another campaign, partially inspired by my recent commission (ponified Alpha Centauri setting:  If you don't know what that is, all you need to know is... Ponies in Space.  Or more specifically colonizing an alien world).

This'll be a Play-by-Post for ye standard 4-6 ish players, depending on interest and such (I might run a parallel campaign with another "team" of characters if there's a ridiculously unprecedented level of interest)

Characters are ship crew and/or colonists, seeking to make a new life for themselves on an alien world, chosen for their unique skills and talents that will be helpful in surviving and exploring their new home.  The party has been grouped into a team based on their differing abilities, and share quarters both on the ship and the colony to which they will be assigned.  

Campaign-Specific Information

To represent the uniqueness of the setting, I will be making several changes/clarifications to some of the base skills

Don't look down on the Brawn skills toomuch just because of the sci-fi setting : other colonists will value strong, tough ponies, and may view weak/sickly ponies as a burden- as not everything can be done with mechanical help, and you may need to be physically fit to survive what Planet can throw at you!  Colonists were screened for fitness and health before embarking on the Harmony - although perhaps you were picked despite physical limitations based on the other skills you bring to the venture.

Stealth as "Attempting to undertake just about any action while trying to avoid someone noticing" will naturally extend to such things as covering your electronic trail or attempting to hack into technology or networks without raising notice (although may need to be coupled with a Technology check)

Mechanics will still represent your ability to precisely manipulate things with your hooves- so while necessary for precision repairs, might need to be coupled with a Technology check to actually know what you're doing if working with a complex item!  

Mechanics or Acrobatics will also represent your (manual dexterity or reflex) ability to operate certain vehicles or air/spacecraft

Arcana is still a useful skill- technology does not make magic obsolete!  In fact much technology does run with magic.  Magic is still a basic tool for many unicorns, and of course you may encounter strange magic on this unfamiliar planet as well!

History, in stark contrast to my other campaigns, is no longer a useful skill- no knowledge of Planet's history exists- and if you really need to know something about the history of Equestria or the Harmony's misson or personnel I'll just tell you or have you make a generic Knowledge check.

It is being replaced with a Technology skill, representing the operation, design, and repair of electronic and magical technology, such as computers or scanners

Heal will in addition to its normal functions also be used to reflect knowledge of Biology and Chemistry

Streetwise will in addition to its normal functions double as a generic survival skill (including navigation, foraging for food etc.)

Due to the generalized use of some of these skills (particularly the Knowledge skills), specialization through Freaky Knowledge is highly encouraged!  DC's involving specialized use of these skills will be higher than normal.

Technology Level of Setting

Technology level is in general beyond our own, though often not quite as advanced as science fiction technologies.

Faster-than-light travel has not been developed : thus the decades-long journey that necessitated the development of stasis technology to preserve the colonists until they reached their destination.  

Science has not yet managed to unlock the secrets of teleportation nor energy/matter conversion : though naturally a skilled unicorn may be able to accomplish such with magic!

Advanced computers run most of the systems of the Harmony, with AI being able to recognize and execute voice commands.  Industrial production is often partially to fully automated.  Simple (still much more advanced than anything we can make) robots can serve as pets or companions.

The ship is powered by a fusion engine, while the colonies are intended to run largely off of solar energy, with combustion as a backup.  Most smaller and hoof-held electronics are run off of magically and/or electrically charged crystals.

A variety of useful scanners and tools exist.  

Use of goofy technical sounding sci-fi jargon when naming or using devices will be encouraged!  It doesn't need to make sense, it's SCIENCE! (Or magic).  

Character Creation

Any (non-Alicorn) canon race is acceptable as a player character.

We will be using the Ability system- I'd be more than happy to accommodate anyone who wants to use an old Utility that didn't transfer over though.

Each character will come with one FREE "Freaky Knowledge", to represent the special training and specialization of the colonists selected for this mission.  Try for some variety between the characters, and for abilities that would be prized by those who accepted your application to be a colonist or crewmember!  

More "Freaky Knowledge" is of course encouraged (but hardly required!).  There's a lot a modern pony needs to know!

List of Players and Characters:
Note: "Team" numbers were assigned completely randomly (with a "d26" for letter and a d10 for each of the 2 digits.  These letters and numbers were not picked intentionally nor have any special meaning to them.

Group 1 : Team R89
https://ponytales.forumotion.com/t842-pae-group-1-team-r89#75261

1.  Elegant Force          -  Astral Arc, Crystal Pony (f) - Academic/Tech Wizard
2.  Quietkal                   -  Clover Paw the Diamond Dog (f) - Miner
6.  Caden 2112              -Dusty Trailsthe Earth pony (m) - Farmer/Herder
7.  Senshuken                -Link the Hippogriff (Guard/Scout)

Group 2 : Team Z83
https://ponytales.forumotion.com/t845-pae-group-2-team-z83

3.  Crystalite                 - Lakaida Tattersoul the Changeling (f) -Actress
4.  Fury of the Tempest  - Gearick  the Unicorn (m) - Magical Engineer
5.  Copper Rose             - Coral Wrench the Merpony / Unicorn (f) - Architect/Civil Engineer
8.  ZamuelNow               -Flairvoyant the Unicorn (f)  - Navigator/Pilot

Last edited by Curunir on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:41 am; edited 24 times in total
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://turtlgandalf.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!) Empty Re: Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!)

Post  Crystalite Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 am

....Bucket.

On one hand, I am absolutely tittilated by this idea and have dozens of ideas springing to mind already! Gah!

On the other hand, I already have a full plate as it is! Gah!

I need a hug...

EDIT: Decided. I'm going to go through my campaigns and drop a few. It's probably for the better anyways. However, I think I will wait a while before choosing a character and see what other people come up with first. I do have two elements I am set on though:

-) How advanced is Artificial Intelligence? Because I totally want an A.I. Companion. (Or perhaps I'll be one myself...)

-) If I were to take Words Of Wisdom, could I take "Bad Puns" as my weird speech in question?
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!) Empty Re: Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!)

Post  ZamuelNow Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:14 pm

This sounds awesome but I'm in a similar position where I probably shouldn't enter. I don't immediately have any ideas so don't reserve any spaces for me but I'll let you know if I do.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:06 pm

I wasn't looking to join more games but this...this I like.
How would you feel about a Diamond Dog? If not, I can tweak some things and make it a pony miner.
(Clover Paw, miner/survivalist)
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Crystalite: I suppose I should put up a section about the technology level of the setting, eh?

Yes, AI exists, and is more advanced than our own: to the point that computers are semi-sentient and can respond to voice commands (think not-quite Star Trek levels as far as AI goes), and simple robots exist - I'd say you could have an AI companion, but not be an AI yourself.

You can definitely use "Bad Puns" as a way of speech.

Quietkal: Definitely fine! I did say all normal canon races are acceptable: In the interest of fairness the mission was launched with representatives of all races (though ponies are the majority, as it was an Equestrian project)

Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Okay, so I have a few basic outlines. Basic role has yet to be determined (Again, I have too many things I want to do, so I'm going to let other people pick first.) But I think we're probably looking at an Earth Pony here, or perhaps a Changeling (It depends.) Not sure if Pony or AI will have WoW; maybe both. In either case it will most certainly have Bad Puns Very Happy

The AI will without a doubt have Mechanical (duh) and Telekinesis. It might have Derp as well, just for the lulz. Some naming ideas would be nice. Appearance wise - and this is gonna sound pretty silly, and well it is - imagine a floating Unicorn head on the end of a twig. (If you've ever read Schlock Mercenary, think like Enessby. Who is, incidentally, the inspiring source...)
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Interested, interested, interested!

A version of Gearick will be awesome for this campaign! Magictech? Yes please!
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Oooh, I think I have an old merpony (actually still using her) that would be awesome for this, though she'll need to be converted to the Abilities system. Her name: Coral Wrench. Occupation: architectural/civil engineer (designs buildings and even cities and such). I'll get back to you later with more!
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Yay sea pony!

Between Copper, Kal, and Fury, I have a pretty good idea as to what I'm doing now. I've narrowed it down to either hacker Software Developer (Earth Pony) or an actor (Changeling).
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Okay, I am certainly interested, I'll see abotu making a character for this. Scifi ponies, yay. Very Happy
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:25 pm

I have a question through... as magicial tricks & magecraft are gone, will Arcana just completely replace them?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Glad to see so much interest! I'll put everyone on the list then.

Merpony, eh? I suppose that's alright- assuming you're a normal pony most of the time (when walking around on dry earth)

Fury: Ah, good question! I'm a fan of Magical Tricks, I'd say you could use that (cost 3, like most of the utilities). Probably would make the most sense to just have Magecraft rolled into the Arcana skill- or else have it be a 2-point upgrade to magical tricks or something.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:03 pm

How about Magecraft being a 3 point upgrade? You know, like another talent?

I mean, if its tied in with Arcana, so should magical tricks really.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Yeah, sure, I think it would be easiest to just have to have you buy it like a utility like under the old system.

Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks, that'll make making my character much more easier.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:21 am

Is there still a chance to join, or are we full?
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Senshuken: Sure, you can join! As I said, if too many people are interested I might try running two groups in parallel... and if not, in my experience you tend to lose one or two players over time anyways.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:18 am

Alright, I got it. Meet Dusty Trails, tender of crops and livestock.
...Because ponies don't eat meat and starving to death is horrific way to go.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:28 am

Worth pointing out that FiM ponies are vegetarian but not vegan. Rarity's fixed eggs for breakfast and her dad's been seen fishing.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:39 am

Clover's also intending to be less than vegetarian, though she'll take care of that on her own.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:49 am

True, I forget about that I suppose. Still, stable food source is good. We can't rely on instant party to feed a whole colony, after all, and I'm assuming that's the endgoal here. Razz

...Or if it's like the old Sid Meier game, the endgoal is "Don't get eaten by the giant telepathic deathworms and doomfungus before you can nuke everyone else to death." ...I wasn't very good at diplomacy.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:59 am

Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!) Liarjack_animated__gif_by_kyrospawn-d4ao49a Giant telepathic deathworms?  Doomfungus?  That's just crazy talk Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!) Liarjack_animated__gif_by_kyrospawn-d4ao49a

But yes, good planning so far.  While drawing inspiration from Alpha Centauri I certainly won't be getting remotely all of my ideas from it.

Last edited by Curunir on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:58 am

Wait, you mean the game's not going to be decided by a rapid series of endurance checks due to completely different microbial organisms which only ends when we die and even a critical success is great only in the regard that things don't instantly get massively worse? Huh.
Yeah, I figured Instant Party wouldn't carry the entire colony. There's probably like...20-40 creatures on the thing? Still, magically generated free food's rarely a bad thing.
Also, I might have stolen been inspired by some things on Caden's sheet and added some more flavor to Clover's things.
[edit] Also...Caden, what are you planning to use Tenacity on? All your stuffs at-will...
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:11 pm

...Can you tell I took my Element first, then promptly forgot it existed?

...I'll fix it.

EDIT: No more Tenacity. I am Generous instead now apparently. Should stop making/working on character sheets at 2 in the morning.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next